PDA

View Full Version : Josh needs to re-think

EagleDevil
03-16-2007, 09:31 AM
OK, I've seen the threads citing inside sources saying Josh is gone. And I believe that people have those sources. But at best those are based on weeks-old info, and at worst are based on stuff said before the season. The point is, it is not based on anything Josh said after this season-ending collapse.

If Josh cares about leaving a winning legacy, he'll come back. If not, maybe it's better for everyone that he moves on anyway. I want to give him some credit: I think that when he sits down and thinks it over, it'll be hard for him to swallow this as an ending to his college career.

One thing you can say about those so-so mid-90s teams-- at least no one had the gall to think they belonged in the NBA if they couldn't dominate a college game.

Chris

throatybeard
03-16-2007, 09:42 AM
http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1995/0626_large.jpg
http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1999/0503_large.jpg

BlueDevilBaby
03-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Good point. Oden has said he is not leaving until he can dominate on the college level and contribute right away to an NBA team. I hope Josh has too much pride to leave Duke on that note to just ride the pine at the next level.

duke03
03-16-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't get it. Players who leave early and are first round NBA draft picks are either:

1) So young (either high schoolers or college freshmen) that they are being drafted for their raw potential (Marvin Williams). Sometimes it pans out, sometimes it doesn't, but NBA GMs will take the risk.

2) Shown that they are very good and leave after two or three years (Chris Paul).

McRoberts is neither. He has played for two years and shown himself to be not ready for the NBA. He's shown an inability to post up the other team's big man. Why would an NBA team want him? Wouldn't they rather take a HS senior and hope for "potential" rather than drafting someone who's affirmatively shown over two years that he's not as good as advertised?

phaedrus
03-16-2007, 11:27 AM
there are some very poorly managed nba teams. just look at the eastern conference standings.

EagleDevil
03-16-2007, 11:37 AM
throaty, my point is not about youth or readiness (and I ain't buying J-Mac=KG either!)... And when I said "so-so mid-nineties teams," I meant Duke teams!

My point is: Does Josh want to be remembered for this season?

Chris

jimbonelson
03-16-2007, 11:39 AM
if josh does go to the nba it will not be for the money. he could already have that by being picked in the lottery the last two years why would he come out this year?

Cavlaw
03-16-2007, 11:39 AM
I would guess because he won't be playing center in the NBA, so the game he has "shown an inability" to play isn't the game he would be playing in the pros. He has a lot of upside, and the game he wants to play at the next level probably isn't one he will get a whole lot more development in at Duke. He could develop into a pretty solid NBA talent, and the NBA has the money to spend in that kind of calculated gamble.

I for one wish him all the best, and firmly believe that no one who posts on this board (barring the possibility that some former player, coach or recruiter has an alis here) is any position to second guess his decision.

KandG
03-16-2007, 11:58 AM
I've said this before, but let me repeat it -- has anyone considered how dramatic the downside will be if he has another year similar to this one? His stock will just keep dropping. At least now, there is enough of that intangible "upside" to inflate his value.

As much as I would like Josh to stay and appreciate his contributions this year, it doesn't seem economically rational for him to stay, unless his stock has fallen so much that he projects to the very late first round in this year's draft. Now having said all this, it does appear that his stock among draft prognosticators and scouts has become extremely volatile lately, so perhaps there is a sliver of a possibility he'll come back.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=227

throatybeard
03-16-2007, 11:53 PM
I dunno ED, I doubt many college players consider how they're going to be remembered. Their own legacy isn't often on 21 year-olds' minds.

I wasn't saying McR = KG. I was just struck by the timeframe.

Indoor66
03-17-2007, 09:44 AM
I dunno ED, I doubt many college players consider how they're going to be remembered. Their own legacy isn't often on 21 year-olds' minds.

I wasn't saying McR = KG. I was just struck by the time frame.

Only the very few players of extraordinary consistent performance leave a legacy at a school. I would guess that most fans can't name any players from more than 5 - 8 year ago. Us B-Ball wonks talk about Groat, Werber, Mullins, Marin, Hurt, Katherman, Sparkle, Dennard, Henderson (Phil, David) et al, but most fans have no idea who we refer to.

A player's ego would have to be in an odd place to be thinking legacy - in most instances. Best to think of performing now and not how they will be remembered.

Just my thoughts :)