PDA

View Full Version : What are YOU doing to help Duke?

Jumbo
03-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Folks, it's the time of year when we all need to step up in every irrational way possible. Clearly, we all thought we didn't need to bring our A-fan game last night. We were wrong. We need some Mojo, and we need it fast. EarlJam, it's time for another magic spell to heal the sick. People with lucky t-shirts, socks, headbands, underwear and toilet paper -- pick it up! Send positive vibes. Listen to pump-up music. Create Bob Huggins voodoo dolls. Whatever it takes, folks. Whatever it takes.

And ... if you have the chance to go to the game tomorrow, GO!!! And if you go, GET LOUD!!! The team needs your support. West Virginia fans are loud and obnoxious. Don't let them intimidate you. Don't back down. If we're winning, go nuts. If we're losing, yell louder! I've always thought the worst part of March Madness is that the students are such a small portion of the crowd. But for those of you at the game, it's a two-hour window with the opportunity to be a kid one more time. Go all out. Support Duke. The team needs help, and we can provide it.

LET's GO! STEP UP! GO DUKE!!!

RepoMan
03-21-2008, 01:38 PM
I hate to break it out this early, but with the illnesses and everything, I guess its time. Fortunately for the team, my dog is good luck, and if I rub her back furiously during crunch time, we win. Sadly, though, the dog's hair falls out (just kidding about the hair loss part).

I'll do my part!

weezie
03-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Count me in! I was there last night and found myself stepping in to break up a screaming/pushing match in the ladies room between a Belmont chick and a young Duke woman. Holy smokes, the temperature of the Duke haters is way, WAY over the top.

Besides the lucky blue suede shoes, I'm pulling out the 1991 Midwest Regionals sweatshirt and some serious "unmentionables." Nobody is going to shout me down in section 227.

Just remember, if you can't go to college, go to WVU.

BlueDevilBaby
03-21-2008, 01:45 PM
I'll be surrounded by WVa fans in 420, but there are plenty of Duke fans around me as well to help. I'm sending good, healing vibes to the team right now and will do my damb best to shout down the Mountaineers tomorrow. All that yellow makes me sick.

Jumbo
03-21-2008, 01:52 PM
I'll be surrounded by WVa fans in 420, but there are plenty of Duke fans around me as well to help. I'm sending good, healing vibes to the team right now and will do my damb best to shout down the Mountaineers tomorrow. All that yellow makes me sick.

I highly recommend starting a "Rich Rodriguez" chant. And then when they whine about that, remind them of the similarities between that move and what Huggins did to Kansas State.

wilko
03-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Im following my normal pre-game rituals to support our guys.
Right Shirt. Right TV. Right cup...

Im also hoping that Marion Barry shows up to party with WVa and brings a platoon of working girls to TOTALLY take their minds and spirit out of the game..

Anybody got a spell for that, I'll help gather ingredients.

EarlJam
03-21-2008, 02:00 PM
I would like to condemn the Mountaineers to Hades, using my usual chant (i.e., The West Virginia Mountaineers, may they burn....).

It is fail proof. But it straddles the fence of cursing and I will not do it without first getting permission from a moderator.

-EarlJam

Jumbo
03-21-2008, 02:01 PM
I would like to condemn the Mountaineers to Hades, using my usual chant (i.e., The West Virginia Mountaineers, may they burn....).

It is fail proof. But it straddles the fence of cursing and I will not do it without first getting permission from a moderator.

-EarlJam

Stick to a new magic spell. Brew up something strong!

EarlJam
03-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Stick to a new magic spell. Brew up something strong!

To the tune, "Country Roads"....

Final Four Roads

Burn in Hades, West Virginia;
Jump off a mountain;
Go dive in a river.
We just don't care;
If your bigs are trees;
We'll take Da' Sean Butler;
'Tonya Harding' him in the knees!

Final Four roads, send them home;
To the place they belong;
West Virginia, to their mommas;
Send 'em home, Final Four roads.

Got no legacy, the mind it boggles;
Closest thing was, some stooge named Pittsnogle.
Black and yellow, painted on your trucks;
If you think you'll beat Duke;
Sorry you're our of luck! (pg version)

Send 'em home, Final Four roads!

**West Virginia...........MAY THEY BURN IN HELL!!!!!

-EarlJAM!!!!!!

**This guarentees a Duke victory. Worry no more!!!

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-21-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm going to go try to talk Stephen Curry into transferring to Duke... Kid is the MAN!!!

Madrasdukie
03-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Without getting into the details, and empirically speaking, pomegranite juice (100%) does wonders both as a prophylactic and recovery tool to address flu-like symptoms.
I just wish our guys know of this and could get some.
I would definetly send some to the team hotel, if I knew how to do so.

Jumbo
03-21-2008, 03:42 PM
To the tune, "Country Roads"....

Final Four Roads

Burn in Hades, West Virginia;
Jump off a mountain;
Go dive in a river.
We just don't care;
If your bigs are trees;
We'll take Da' Sean Butler;
'Tonya Harding' him in the knees!

Send 'em home, Final Four roads.

Got no legacy, the mind it boggles;
Closest thing was, some stooge named Pittsnogle.
Black and yellow, painted on your trucks;
If you think you'll beat Duke;
Sorry you're our of luck! (pg version)

Send 'em home, Final Four roads!

**West Virginia...........MAY THEY BURN IN HELL!!!!!

-EarlJAM!!!!!!

**This guarentees a Duke victory. Worry no more!!!

Excellent! I'd still like to see another magic spell, too. Got one in you?

Chard
I'm staying positive. Now, don't get me wrong. I was yelling explicatives throughout the game last night but I did have faith.

Without getting into the details, and empirically speaking, pomegranite juice (100%) does wonders both as a prophylactic and recovery tool to address flu-like symptoms.

Is there any way to make it taste good? I have a bottle but it is PO-tent!

Bostondevil
I will, if necessary, rub my 3 year-old's bottom against the TV. Hey, don't laugh, it's undefeated, but since I've never used it for the Devils before (only the Red Sox) and since, superstitious nut that I am, I think there are limited good luck butt rubs, I've been holding back. It comes out when things are looking a little grim later in the game (or the series). It was first used 5 days before he was born during the 2004 ALCS. (Sorry Yankee fans.)

Why didn't I use it against Belmont, you might ask? Well, I was at the gym running a 10K on the treadmill watching the game on the TV there. If my cell phone had been charged up though, I would have called home and instructed the rest of the family to perform the duties. Luckily we didn't need it.

For updates on this 'good luck' baby see the Marathon Fund Raising thread on the Off Topic board or visit http://www.firstgiving.com/lisaburdick.

Edouble
03-21-2008, 03:52 PM
I will hold my lucky basketball (the one I held during the 2001 championship game) and stand to watch (Cameron style) the whole game. All the pets in the house receive treats for select big plays i.e. momentum changing three-pointers, and-1 plays, monster dunks, etc...

I also pray to the basketball Gods or anyone else who will listen.

I generally do not perform rituals or hexes against the opposing team, but we'll see how the first half goes.

blazindw
03-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Rocking the headband to the game tomorrow. Also dressing in at least one of my shooting shirts so that if Coach K needs me, I'm ready to check in. Finally, willing our team for an entire 40 minutes as best I can.

Madrasdukie
03-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Is there any way to make it taste good? I have a bottle but it is PO-tent!

Really!! I actually love the taste. But I know some people who like you don't like the taste. Regardless, it is seriously potent....I really really wish the team knows of it.

weezie
03-21-2008, 04:05 PM
I will, if necessary, rub my 3 year-old's bottom against the TV. It was first used 5 days before he was born during the 2004 ALCS.

Boy oh boy, 5 days BEFORE he was born? You must have one cooperative wife!:p

Law Talking Guy
03-21-2008, 04:25 PM

I'll be over in 426 doing the same. If it happens again, make sure to laugh at the WV fan whose "psychout" chant to our players (from the very last row) was to yell "Nerd" over and over.

Smitty1911
03-21-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm debating breaking out the Grant Hill jersey, which was autographed by the man himself before the '04 Carolina game. I retired it after that W but almost broke it out for the Final 4 game that followed (guess I should've). It might be time to pull it out of retirement!

BlueDevilBaby
03-21-2008, 04:27 PM
All the pets in the house receive treats for select big plays i.e. momentum changing three-pointers, and-1 plays, monster dunks, etc...

I may have to try the treat thing with my dogs. They usually go hide upstairs because they can feel all the air get sucked out of the room by the tension in my body when Duke is playing. I'm afraid they are really afraid of me. So sad. Anyway, it will have to wait for another day as I get to watch live, maybe a treat before I leave the house. Sending my best vibes to the Blue Devil's hotel, whichever one it is, and to them at the Verizon Center.

TwoDukeTattoos
03-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Great spirit, Jumbo! I love it! All I have to say is that 2008 is our year. I've been saying it for weeks and no one has bought into it yet. But slowly they will. Drake is already down, UCONN is on the verge and regardless, Duke will win tomorrow.

Law Talking Guy
03-21-2008, 04:36 PM
I will hold my lucky basketball (the one I held during the 2001 championship game) and stand to watch (Cameron style) the whole game. All the pets in the house receive treats for select big plays i.e. momentum changing three-pointers, and-1 plays, monster dunks, etc...

I also pray to the basketball Gods or anyone else who will listen.

I generally do not perform rituals or hexes against the opposing team, but we'll see how the first half goes.

That is some impressive pet owner karma. My grey would be about 110 lbs if I did that.

Chard
03-21-2008, 05:05 PM
I may have to try the treat thing with my dogs. They usually go hide upstairs because they can feel all the air get sucked out of the room by the tension in my body when Duke is playing. I'm afraid they are really afraid of me. So sad. Anyway, it will have to wait for another day as I get to watch live, maybe a treat before I leave the house. Sending my best vibes to the Blue Devil's hotel, whichever one it is, and to them at the Verizon Center.

I experience the same thing with my dogs whether it is football or basketball. I tend to yell during really important games. They give you that look like "what did I do?" and go hide. I always try to play with them after any game that I act like that. When the game goes my way, they tend to sense it and get all happy. When a good play happens the dogs jump around with me.

Have fun at the game. Cheer hard!

Jumbo
03-21-2008, 06:35 PM
That's it? This is all we've got? People, we need to pull together. Let's go!

DukieInKansas
03-21-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm catching a cold - so that should mean one of the team will start feeling better. There are only so many colds to go around, aren't there?

I will be cheering as hard as I can to help them win. I may be watching a taped version of the game but will still be yelling at the tv.

dukepsy1963
03-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Will be seeking an old gypsy up here in the mountains and getting her to throw a spell tonight.... Never fear....it'll be broad-spectrum enough to handle all our adversaries..especially you know who............

phaedrus
03-21-2008, 06:41 PM
I will continue to wear my good luck JJ jersey. It sure was lucky yesterday, right?

Plus, I donated to the Annual Fund and the Iron Dukes. So far I've been jilting the Alumni Association, though.

EarlJam
03-21-2008, 06:48 PM
I will be drinking heavily with Wilson, Shammrog and hopefully Lavabe at Frankie's in Atlanta tomorrow as the Atlanta Mafia gets together to send out one mega-vibe to Duke!

Guys, don't forget the face paint and your thingies!

-EarlJam

feldspar
03-21-2008, 07:06 PM
I'll watch the game. Other than that, there's not really anything I can do.

sagegrouse
03-21-2008, 07:18 PM
First of all, good karma and good cheering requires the right pre-game ritual. I will get warmed up by skiing from 9 to 11AM MT.

Then I will retreat to my family room and turn on the large screen TV. I plan to sip a couple of brewskis throughout the game. (I broke out a fancy Bordeaux wine for the second Carolina game, and I think it gave encouragement to the "wine and cheese crowd.")

I believe the warm-up and cool-down routine will do the trick.

sagegrouse

Law92
03-21-2008, 07:32 PM
I'll be breaking out something special for the archives for tomorrow as well.

It was tough on Thursday at the VC. Even putting aside that everyone else in the building chose to manifest their Duke hatred, it just felt very tough to me to be super-vocal without looking like you were beating up on the "little guy".

That won't be a problem tomorrow. Fully agreed - we need to show up full on.

captmojo
03-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Double. Double.
Toil and trouble.
West Virginia is lucky to have beaten the bubble.

DukeDevilDeb
03-21-2008, 08:03 PM
I'll watch the game. Other than that, there's not really anything I can do.

Feldspar, surely there is SOMETHING you can think of that will let the guys know you're on their side... your favorite Duke shirt... the little devil horns... even Duke Blue Boxers would make a potent statement.

I will be wearing my favorite and lucky Duke shirt and Duke pants. Have my lucky socks that have been ripening in the closet for several weeks. Duke blue underwear is next in the pile, so that's a good sign.

But I do have a dilemma. I like to watch the game with someone and usually go to my friend's house (she has big screen; I have tiny screen... hey, I'm lucky I have a color TV!). But the last time I did that was for the Clemson game in the ACCs. Should I stay home?

GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

dyedwab
03-21-2008, 08:04 PM
So I'm breaking a key piece of mojo-related headgear out of my closet and it requires a little explanation.

If you have the official NCAA highlight videotape from the 1991 championship, you will notice that, after the Brian Davis dunk that clinched our victory over Kansas, there are 4 crowd shots. The 4th is a shot from over my left shoulder and its me going nuts as we clinch our first NC. Well, in that shot, I am wearing a beat up white Duke hat, and a blue 1989 East Regional champions t-shirt.

17 years later, these clothing items are beat up, and have gone out of my regular rotation of Duke-related clothing. They don't really fit, and have seen better days. But for obvious reasons, and much to my wife's chagrin, they still sit in my closet

But when we need mojo, I break them out.

We need mojo.

I just pulled the hat and t-shirt out of the closet. I pray the t-shirt can cover the gut that wasn't there 17 years ago.

LET'S GO DUKE!!!!!

follyblue
03-21-2008, 08:42 PM

True story - My beloved Zoe, may she rest in peace, used to pee herself at the sound of Dick Vitale's voice.

In any case, I will be drinking a lot of rum. It may not help Duke, but I know it will help me.

77devil
03-21-2008, 08:57 PM
All members of the household where Duke paraphernalia including the dogs. High decible cheering throughout drives the dogs out of the room.

BCGroup
03-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Rearranged my travel schedule so I can get home in time for the game. Watching on the road is usually bad luck for me. I have a Duke lanyard with lapel pins from every NCAA tournament and ACC Tournament for the last 16 years. I also have the three championship pins and apin for the back to back championships. Definitely wearing that with all the rest of my Duke clothing!

shadowfax336
03-21-2008, 09:42 PM
About 6 friends and I are making our way up on saturday, and we will be loud.

(I bought my tix on sunday, and was, um..., a little stressed when the score was 69-70 thursday night)

-jk
03-21-2008, 09:50 PM
I'll be screaming myself hoarse (again), and irritating my section with a rather loud whistle (again).

-jk

Jumbo
03-21-2008, 09:50 PM
About 6 friends and I are making our way up on saturday, and we will be loud.

(I bought my tix on sunday, and was, um..., a little stressed when the score was 69-70 thursday night)

Awesome.
1) Do not let anyone tell you to shut up.
2) Fight fire with fire.
3) Bring the noise.

CrazyCat
03-21-2008, 10:04 PM
I will have my St.Bernard who is named Coach K, standing guard. If it gets to bad, he can jumo in and shake things up. I am also thinking about pulling out the mac daddy, toren to shreds lucky Duke sweat shirt. I have woren it for all the National Champ games. I have also retired it, but think I may need to pull it out. I have my mug, pants, necklace, braclet, socks, but no toliet paper. Well I have blue marker, so I can fix that one pretty quick like. GO DUKE!!!!

TillyGalore
03-21-2008, 10:09 PM
I have been wracking my brains over this all day. Carowhina blew all my lucky stuff as I was wearing it during the game. AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!

I've run out of mojo on all my other rituals and now have no idea what to do.

Oh, and I'm moving in a week and have to do some big time packing tomorrow and Sunday. So, even though the game will be on - probably on all the tvs in my place so I don't miss a thing - I'll be packing.

So, do I wear my former lucky Duke shirt, or put on another one. Or, just not wear one? Please help me decide.

I haven't forgiven myself for 1999, thus am relying on my DBR friends for help. I don't want to let y'all down.

Jumbo
03-21-2008, 10:12 PM
I have been wracking my brains over this all day. Carowhina blew all my lucky stuff as I was wearing it during the game. AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!

I've run out of mojo on all my other rituals and now have no idea what to do.

Oh, and I'm moving in a week and have to do some big time packing tomorrow and Sunday. So, even though the game will be on - probably on all the tvs in my place so I don't miss a thing - I'll be packing.

So, do I wear my former lucky Duke shirt, or put on another one. Or, just not wear one? Please help me decide.

I haven't forgiven myself for 1999, thus am relying on my DBR friends for help. I don't want to let y'all down.

Wash everything. Start with one, and if it's not working, don't be afraid to switch quickly.

TillyGalore
03-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Wash everything. Start with one, and if it's not working, don't be afraid to switch quickly.

Oooo, good idea. I've been known to change mid-game if the mojo wasn't there. And, as luck would have it, I'm doing laundry now. :D

Thanks Jumbo! I knew I could count on you.

Indoor66
03-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Oooo, good idea. I've been known to change mid-game if the mojo wasn't there. And, as luck would have it, I'm doing laundry now. :D

Can I get you to do a load for me? With all the games I'm behind schedule. :D

TillyGalore
03-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Can I get you to do a load for me? With all the games I'm behind schedule. :D

Bring it. But soon, I'm not staying up all night. :)

dukestheheat
03-21-2008, 10:32 PM
dammit, i'm wearing my sweatshirt and i don't care how hot it is. i also have my little blue D that i pin right in the middle of the chest. i had a blue/white cat in the hat that i loaned to a girl who cleans up my house when it's dirty and the damned girl LOST the hat and i almost killed her.

i'm mad about that still, and i'm mad for tomorrow, and LET'S GO DUKE!

dukestheheat.

we are going to win this game. all we need is one point more than they get, i don't care if it's that close.

mgtr
03-21-2008, 10:46 PM
My wife and I both don our Duke shirts and socks, fill our Duke glasses with adult beverages (some which are opened with a Duke opener, which plays the Duke fight song). We place our Duke glasses on our Duke coasters. We do not move until there is a TV timeout, when refills/disposals are allowed.
All of our paraphernalia have been gifts from our daughter and son-in-law who realize the importance of proper attire. Our son-in-law graduated from Auburn, so you can imagine how nutty he is. However, since Auburn is not competitive in basketball (saying it nicely), he roots for the Duke Basketball team. So he is not all bad!
We watch the games on our 65" HDTV. It is not Cameron Indoor, but not bad at all.

BD80
03-21-2008, 11:57 PM
How about a chant that should do the trick:

"Fresh roadkill on the highway outside!"

That should clear the stadium of WVU fans and the WVU bench of players.

I should confess a prejudice against WVU as a Pitt grad and Pittsburgh native. I also had to fight an egregious case of academic fraud by WVU, taking a case to the Court of Appeals in DC to win back some patents for a WVU Doctoral candidate. The good doctor has few good things to say about WVU. He chuckled at the roadkill chant.

Eckster
03-22-2008, 07:06 AM
Whatever you do, please nobody wear one of those Duke "Bleed Blue, Live Green" t-shirts that almost lost the game against NC State in Cameron. Great idea...bad luck.

dukestheheat
03-22-2008, 08:50 AM
My wife and I both don our Duke shirts and socks, fill our Duke glasses with adult beverages (some which are opened with a Duke opener, which plays the Duke fight song). We place our Duke glasses on our Duke coasters. We do not move until there is a TV timeout, when refills/disposals are allowed.
All of our paraphernalia have been gifts from our daughter and son-in-law who realize the importance of proper attire. Our son-in-law graduated from Auburn, so you can imagine how nutty he is. However, since Auburn is not competitive in basketball (saying it nicely), he roots for the Duke Basketball team. So he is not all bad!
We watch the games on our 65" HDTV. It is not Cameron Indoor, but not bad at all.

65 inch HD-TV. Dang, I am impressed. Show off!

dth.

RelativeWays
03-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Ransom note sent to Huggy bear concerning compromising photos of him and a large loud mustard yellow suit. We have been notified that he will cooperate.

Indoor66
03-22-2008, 09:40 AM
I put on my Duke shirt this morning, as I do the day of every Duke game. I will wear it all day. About 4:00 this afternoon I will pop it and yell a loud Go Duke in celebration of a victory over WVa and it's infernal coach, Bob Thuggins. :D

DukePA
03-22-2008, 11:32 AM
I have my Duke shirt on and because I've never been to the beach before a Duke game, I am not going before the game today despite the gorgeous 72 degrees and the fact that tomorrow is forecast to only reach the 50's. I love a warm sunny day on the beach, but I love Duke a whole lot more!

GO DUKE!!!!

merry
03-22-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm catching a cold - so that should mean one of the team will start feeling better. There are only so many colds to go around, aren't there?

Hey, I have a cold too! I never thought about this as taking one for the team, but if this is what it takes, count me in.

BTW I came down with this cold on the way back from San Antonio, which may also be a good sign,

77devil
03-22-2008, 11:52 AM
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo take a deep breath oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo take another deep breath and repeat until tip off oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

DevilAlumna
03-22-2008, 11:56 AM
I convinced my DC-area parents to attend in my absence -- mom & dad will be there with their daughter-provided Duke paraphernalia, and some loud cheering voices!

My mom can bring the mojo to sporting events, she's got a special touch. She once got so passionate about a Nebraska basketball game, she dumped a half-empty coke on top of an opposing fan.

I've told them a couple of the standard cheers, so they should be able to pick up what the Duke section starts.

YmoBeThere
03-22-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm posting as much as I can? Will that help?

(Waiting for the resounding no.)

captmojo
03-22-2008, 01:55 PM
What's all this "Where's the mojo" business? I'm here! Now I'm gone to witness the Devils whup up on the Hillbillies.

moonpie23
03-22-2008, 02:04 PM
my lava lite will be on doing it's thang........i accidently got distracted thurs night and didn;t turn it on when bob harris announced the tip.......hence the last few seconds pandimonium.....

i apologize for everyone's stress....

i'm ready today...

GO DUKE!!!!!

dynastydefender
03-23-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm taking my A-Trash talking-game to Inside Carolina. Leaving my rational and supportive side here on DBR!!

ArkieDukie
03-23-2008, 08:28 PM
I went bowling with my family instead of watching the game. (If you hear "Dueling Banjos" in your head while reading this, well, I did as I was bowling, too.) We were ahead by 10 when I left, so I thought it was safe to turn on the DVR and go. I can't tell you how awful I feel. It's all my fault.

HK Dukie
03-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Arkie, you deserve a suspension or some kind of punishment. But I will let you decide, since that is probably what Coach K would do.