PDA

View Full Version : What does the DeMarcus Nelson interview say?

TheDuke11
03-21-2008, 08:11 AM
I cant stream audio or video here at work. What does the interview w/ Markie say was wrong with him last night?

Thanks in advance.

Highlander
03-21-2008, 08:15 AM
I cant stream audio or video here at work. What does the interview w/ Markie say was wrong with him last night?

Thanks in advance.

Doesn't say anything really, but Demarcus has to cough 2 or 3 times before he can answer each question. Certainly sounds like some sort of respiratory infection.

dukemath
03-21-2008, 08:16 AM
It is not what the interview says, it is all the sniffing and coughing throughout the interview. DeMarcus was clearly sick.

BlueHeaven
03-21-2008, 08:20 AM
I can't either and I"m dying to hear...

buddy
03-21-2008, 08:21 AM
If K has the flu, it would be surprising if the team either doesn't have it, hasn't had it, or won't get it. All the more reason to go to the bench more frequently. I was surprised to see DeMarcus coughing so much. It didn't seem like his minutes were down, other than the fact that he had some early foul trouble that normally would keep him out of the game. Frankly, if he is fighting the flu, I am very disappointed in K for not using the bench more liberally.

blazindw
03-21-2008, 08:37 AM
One of my friends went to the open practice on Wednesday and said that Singler also was "coughing up a lung". Let's hope that a day of rest can help Nelson, Singler and K kick the virus and feel closer to 100% for the game tomorrow.

DukeDevilDeb
03-21-2008, 09:17 AM
I have known DeMarcus for 4 years and have never seen him cough even once! He clearly has a respiratory version of the flu (don't have my MD, but it doesn't take that to see that he doesn't feel well. He also drinks constantly, something I've never seen him do in an interview situation.).

If you listened at all to the Coach tonight (especially in the pre-game interview with Bob Harris), he sounded awful. There is something going around. Scheyer was sick last week; don't know what his status is. But they well could all be suffering from some degree of illness.

That certainly explains the performance... don't know if it justifies it.

CDu
03-21-2008, 09:22 AM
I have known DeMarcus for 4 years and have never seen him cough even once! He clearly has a respiratory version of the flu (don't have my MD, but it doesn't take that to see that he doesn't feel well. He also drinks constantly, something I've never seen him do in an interview situation.).

If you listened at all to the Coach tonight (especially in the pre-game interview with Bob Harris), he sounded awful. There is something going around. Scheyer was sick last week; don't know what his status is. But they well could all be suffering from some degree of illness.

That certainly explains the performance... don't know if it justifies it.

I remember seeing him either last year or the year before having a pretty bad cough during a game (pretty sure he was sick then, too). It's not all that surprising that he's sick given that these are still college kids going through cold/flu season. Hopefully he gets well enough to contribute to a win Saturday, and then hopefully the team gets healthy by the following weekend (if we're lucky enough to win).

killerleft
03-21-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm glad I didn't post anything negative about DeMarcus after the game. He has disappeared on offense before (who hasn't?), but I kept wondering what was happening to him on defense. Get well, Markie! Quick!

kidslow
03-21-2008, 09:29 AM
I've had a respiratory infection all week, and I certainly hope that Markie ain't feeling as dogshiznit tired as I have been. It's taken me off my game, and that usually consists of sitting around staring at one monitor or another. IANAMD, but his cough sure doesn't sound the same as mine, but clearly he was under the weather based on what I saw in that interview. He hid it well, and didn't call attention to it either. None of the reporters asked any questions about it.

I thought the interviews I saw in those linked videos all showed a very constructive mindset. There was no blame placed on things like refs or illness, or such. They all thought they faced a great opponent who came ready to play, and that if they don't bring their A-game going forward, it's lights out. It didn't sound like Nelson or Singler thought they brought their A-game vs Belmont. Thankfully Hendo did, or I for one would be rather foul about this tournament from Day 1.

BlueDevilBaby
03-21-2008, 09:48 AM
FWIW, being at the game last night and sitting way on high, DM's shots last seemed more line-drive than usual. I wondered what was up with that. Now I know. Hope everyone gets a little more healthy for tomorrow.

Devilsfan
03-21-2008, 09:58 AM
I hope K's flu doestn't spread past his captain.

MulletMan
03-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Not suprising that somethign is going around the team. Every single person that I know who went to the UNC game in Cameron was or is sick. There are several things going around campus right now. There is a strain of viral bronchitis (which I had), some bacterial bronchitis (which D-mark might have from the sounds of his interview), a mild flu, strep throat and this nagging head and throat version of the common cold which seems to be killing people's voices.

This place is like a giant petri dish right now!

Rich
03-21-2008, 10:17 AM
My wife has the flu and hasn't been out of bed in 2 days. I don't ever remember her feeling so lousy. If the team has what she has then I don't even know how they're running up and down the court, let alone playing competitive basketball! I'll try to be optimistic, but if they have what's been going around here then it will take more than a few days to feel better.

rsvman
03-21-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm an infectious diseases physician, and I have a couple of comments.

1) Everybody on the team or associated with the team should get the nasal spray flu vaccine every fall, and Coach K should get a flu shot. Influenza is at least 80% preventable in college age kids, even when there is a mismatched strain circulating, if they would get the live, nasal spray vaccine. It's simple, relatively cheap, and virtually side effect free. Nobody has an excuse to lose any basketball games based on influenza in 2008 when we have the technology to prevent it.

2) There are a lot of other respiratory viruses that circulate in the wintertime aside from influenza. They can all make you feel lousy, they can all impair your oxygenation somewhat, and they can certainly all sap your energy. There's no way to prevent them all, but scrupulous hand hygiene is the best protection. The basketball team should be sponsored by Purell instead of Nike.

3) You don't get better from any respiratory viral infection between Thursday and Saturday, unless you are already well on your way to recovering. The waterboy should get playing time, if necessary, to rest those who are suffering from respiratory viral infections.

delfrio
03-21-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm an infectious diseases physician, and I have a couple of comments.

1) Everybody on the team or associated with the team should get the nasal spray flu vaccine every fall, and Coach K should get a flu shot. Influenza is at least 80% preventable in college age kids, even when there is a mismatched strain circulating, if they would get the live, nasal spray vaccine. It's simple, relatively cheap, and virtually side effect free. Nobody has an excuse to lose any basketball games based on influenza in 2008 when we have the technology to prevent it.

Agree with the sentiment (I got mine), but this year the flu shot was very ineffective. Apparently it applied to only about 40% of flu strains. So even if the team got the shots, they may not have helped.

rsvman
03-21-2008, 11:28 AM
What I'm trying to tell you is that the nasal SPRAY vaccine is still effective, even when the circulating strains are mismatched. The flu SHOT this year is only effective against 40% of circulating strains, but the SPRAY would still provide protection. The spray vaccine is about $9 more than the injectable vaccine.

It's a no-brainer to have the players get the spray. (Coach K is too old for the spray, so he'd have to get the injectable.)

Indoor66
03-21-2008, 12:22 PM
What I'm trying to tell you is that the nasal SPRAY vaccine is still effective, even when the circulating strains are mismatched. The flu SHOT this year is only effective against 40% of circulating strains, but the SPRAY would still provide protection. The spray vaccine is about $9 more than the injectable vaccine.

It's a no-brainer to have the players get the spray. (Coach K is too old for the spray, so he'd have to get the injectable.)

I hope they received the spray &/or shot. Fortunately K doesn't have to run the court.

miramar
03-21-2008, 12:34 PM
I am glad that Belmont was not DeMarcus's last game and that he will have another chance on Saturday. In the last few years it has been a real shame to see the last game for players such as Shavlik Randolph, Lee Melchioni, and Sean Dockery. They clearly deserved to go out better than that, and I certainly hope that DeMarcus will once again be able to show the kind of player he is.