PDA

View Full Version : Duke MBB vs. WVU pre-game & in-game thread

jma4life
03-21-2008, 01:54 AM
Right now, I'm still amped up from that game and am still not completely calmed down yet but let's take tomorrow and enjoy the tournament. Last year, the entire first weekend was ruined for me by an Eric Maynor jump shot so this year, I'm just going to appreciate watching the friday games a little more knowing Duke was victorious on Thursday.

Whatever happens on thursday happens but the bottom line is that for now, Duke is going to the second round and there's no reason to panic. If Duke loses on Saturday, I'll have plenty of time to grieve. We'll have an entire off season to argue about whether K should have done this or that and whether player X should have gotten more burn than player y. In the one day we have where we know Duke did win, let's just try to enjoy it and enjoy this amazing tournament.

dukemomLA
03-21-2008, 03:01 AM
Breathe easy for Saturday. The monkey's off the back, the team did not play well today but got the job done. (Thank you Jon and Gerald).

So....okay, time to move forward with all your strengths. WV is history. Adios.

slower
03-21-2008, 07:49 AM
WV is history. Adios.

You know, I really DO admire your sunny optimism. But I just can't understand, in light of last night's nauseating display, how you can say that the "monkey" is off anybody's back. If anything, I think everybody smells blood in the water.

I hope I'm wrong. And in truth, nobody knows anything about how ANY game will turn out. So - GO DUKE, GTHC!

kydevil
03-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Who draws Alexander? Someone earlier stated Singler but I don't know if he could handle that. He has seemed somewhat fatigued and is rumored to be a little "under the weather." Plus Alexander is very athletic and long, which would be hard for Singler to guard him and still have an offensive game we need.

What about Lance defending him?

CDu
03-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Who draws Alexander? Someone earlier stated Singler but I don't know if he could handle that. He has seemed somewhat fatigued and is rumored to be a little "under the weather." Plus Alexander is very athletic and long, which would be hard for Singler to guard him and still have an offensive game we need.

What about Lance defending him?

Well, I suspect that we throw a number of people at him. Singler will probably start there, and Thomas, Henderson, and maybe Nelson will get a look, too. I'm not generally worried about one guy beating us. I'm worried about teams that have multiple weapons that can spread our overplaying defense.

I think if we limit their 3-pt shooting and offensive rebounds, we should be okay on the defensive end. WVU isn't likely to kill us with dribble penetration, and they don't have a superior talent in the post (Alexander is more of a hybrid). Those have tended to be our problem in losses this year.

kydevil
03-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Well, I suspect that we throw a number of people at him. Singler will probably start there, and Thomas, Henderson, and maybe Nelson will get a look, too. I'm not generally worried about one guy beating us. I'm worried about teams that have multiple weapons that can spread our overplaying defense.

I think if we limit their 3-pt shooting and offensive rebounds, we should be okay on the defensive end. WVU isn't likely to kill us with dribble penetration, and they don't have a superior talent in the post (Alexander is more of a hybrid). Those have tended to be our problem in losses this year.

Agreed. Alexander didn't have a monster game last night, it was closer to average for him. There other players stepped up Rouff (sp?) was on fire from the three point line. As well as some other players I can't remember off the top of my head. I would much rather WVU try to be the Alexander show than the balanced team they were last night. If we play defense remotely close to how we did against Belmont were in for an up hill battle :(

CDu
03-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Agreed. Alexander didn't have a monster game last night, it was closer to average for him. There other players stepped up Rouff (sp?) was on fire from the three point line. As well as some other players I can't remember off the top of my head. I would much rather WVU try to be the Alexander show than the balanced team they were last night. If we play defense remotely close to how we did against Belmont were in for an up hill battle :(

I don't expect us to have the same problems against WVU that we had against Belmont. WVU plays a completely different style. Belmont runs a lot of screens to create mismatches for their very quick (and sharpshooting) backcourt players. They are a gimmick team, like us. We don't handle dribble penetration all that well to begin with, and Belmont takes even more advantage of it than most.

WVU is bigger than Belmont, but much less explosively quick off the dribble. They don't generally exploit teams with dribble penetration. They can be a pretty good shooting team (Rouoff, Butler, Nichols, and Mazzulla all shoot the three pretty well), and Alexander can score in a variety of ways. But they don't have a true playmaker, and they don't have a true post presence. That doesn't mean the matchup is necessarily better for us, just that it's pretty different.

BlueDevilBaby
03-21-2008, 09:45 AM
I was at the game last night. Arizona does not play much in-your-face defense or get out in the passing lanes like Duke. I don't think WVA will get as many clean looks at threes if we play Duke defense (which is a big IF lately). That said, I am concerned about getting too spread out and letting guys drive to the hoop and score or kick out. Belmont showed WVA the way.

In addition, it is going to be a very hostile crowd tomorrow. Lots of yellow in the stands last night and they were loud. I expect the same on Sat. But I'll be there in my Duke blue cheering our guys on.

I have a feeling our guys are going to toughen up and march on. Go Duke!

slower
03-21-2008, 10:26 AM
You know, I really DO admire your sunny optimism. But I just can't understand, in light of last night's nauseating display, how you can say that the "monkey" is off anybody's back. If anything, I think everybody smells blood in the water.

I hope I'm wrong. And in truth, nobody knows anything about how ANY game will turn out. So - GO DUKE, GTHC!

But if last night's debacle can be attributed mainly to illness, then I offer my sincere apologies to all concerned and I revise and raise my optimism level.

ehdg
03-21-2008, 11:03 AM
What time is the game on Saturday anyone know?

BlueintheFace
03-21-2008, 11:53 AM
I think we run the same brilliant defense we ran at Hansbrough. Double team every time... hands straight up. He had fits with that one. UNC had so many pieces to work with besides Hans-travel, but I'm not so sure about WVU. If Alexander proves capable of finding cutters out of the double team then we can't make the same mistake as we did against Clemson and stick with the double downs.

IMO that is the best strategy...

heyman25
03-21-2008, 01:35 PM
After beating a good Church League team as I read in the washington post, Duke needs to come out and play with a sense of urgency or they will going back to Durham wondering if Duke means anything like Pete Gillen used to say. Are we a shell of what we used to be in college basketball or are we going to take the Belmont game as an aberration.:eek:

juise
03-22-2008, 02:45 AM
For what it's worth (if anything), Duke is favored by 3.5 in Vegas. I thought it might be a little tighter. It seems like we've become underdogs.

throatybeard
03-22-2008, 02:57 AM
I think this is the defining game, in some ways. (As unfair and silly as it is to boil whether you meet expectations down to one game in the NCAAT). Before the year, you'd have been nuts to expect more than a S16 appearance out of us. The average wins in the NCAAT for a 2 seed are 2.41. We very easily could have been a 3 seed if they hadn't had to mess with the s-cruve a bit (Carolina/UTK &c). We're kind of a 2.5 seed. 3 seeds average 1.78 wins. Split the difference and you got a tad over 2 wins. I'd say making the S16 is meeting expectation, and anything else is gravy. Especially if we beat WVU and lose to XU, the 3.

http://bracketscience.com/articles/_navAnalysis.asp?i=13

BCGroup
03-22-2008, 08:27 AM
It's a gorgeous morning, the sun is shining, and we are going to have a great day! Yes, I'm an eternal optimist!

JasonEvans
03-22-2008, 08:56 AM
It is time to hit some 3s.

In the 17 games we played from the beginning of ACC season to the end of the regular season (16 ACC games plus St. John's) we failed to hit 30% of our 3s on only 3 occasions (26% vs FSU on 1/16, 28% vs Wake on 2/17, and 13% vs Ga Tech on 2/27).

We have now failed to pass the 30% mark on 3s in our past 2 consecutive games. We hit 23% vs Clemson and 28% vs Belmont.

Duke is a team that thrives on the 3-pointer. On the season we hit an average of better than 38% of our shots from long range and we take around 25 of them per game. We are due to have a big game from long range. I can sense it.

What's more-- West Virginia is terrible at defending the 3-pointer. They allow opponents to hit 35.4% of their threes, a very high percentage for a good team. They were 12th in the Big East in this statistic.

We will shoot them out of the gym. Mark my words.

--Jason "so long as we do not turn the ball over more than 18 times, we should win this game... perhaps easily" Evans

dukestheheat
03-22-2008, 09:00 AM
What time is the game on Saturday anyone know?

2:10 EST.

dth.

dukestheheat
03-22-2008, 09:02 AM
It is time to hit some 3s.

In the 17 games we played from the beginning of ACC season to the end of the regular season (16 ACC games plus St. John's) we failed to hit 305 of our 3s on only 3 occasions (26% vs FSU on 1/16, 28% vs Wake on 2/17, and 13% vs Ga Tech on 2/27).

We have now failed to pass the 30% mark on 3s in our past 2 consecutive games. We hit 23% vs Clemson and 28% vs Belmont.

Duke is a team that thrives on the 3-pointer. On the season we hit an average of better than 38% of our shots from long range and we take around 25 of them per game. We are due to have a big game from long range. I can sense it.

What's more-- West Virginia is terrible at defending the 3-pointer. They allow opponents to hit 35.4% of their threes, a very high percentage for a good team. They were 12th in the Big East in this statistic.

We will shoot them out of the gym. Mark my words.

--Jason "so long as we do not turn the ball over more than 18 times, we should win this game... perhaps easily" Evans

West Virginia doesn't have a tremendously quick point guard, and they don't defend the three all that well, and also we haven't shot well for awhile; all this points to success for Duke today! We are due!

LET'S GO!

GO DUUUUUUKE!

dth.

CAT Blue Devil
03-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Nothing I have seen in the last two weeks really points to this, but I have a really good feeling about today.

Maybe it is the match up's highlighted by previous posts: lack of WVU size, no quick point guard, less than stellar three point shot defense.

But I think that Duke will just simply face less pressure today from themselves. Maybe it is just time to let loose and have some fun.

Somehow I think that this will be K's message today. I for one see things really clicking and some wide smiles later in the day.

Cicero
03-22-2008, 11:33 AM
we failed to hit 305 of our 3s on only 3 occasions (26% vs FSU on 1/16, 28% vs Wake on 2/17, and 13% vs Ga Tech on 2/27).

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that if we hit 305 three-pointers, we will definitely win, and probably set a NCAA record. Let's do it!

JasonEvans
03-22-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that if we hit 305 three-pointers, we will definitely win, and probably set a NCAA record. Let's do it!

Yikes!! I forgot to hit the shift key when trying to type the % symbol so all I got as a 5. That should have read 30%, not 305.

Still, 305 three pointers hit today would be niice ;)

--Jason "actually, I'd settle for just 30" Evans

CatfiveCane
03-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Win or loose.... I want to see this team play with heart.

If they do, however, I think this Duke team rolls for a big win.

kinghoops
03-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Win or loose.... I want to see this team play with heart.

If they do, however, I think this Duke team rolls for a big win.

agreeded here!!! i would love to see us throw a haymaker at someone for once instead of taking everyone elses!!! i feel really good about today!!!

dukepsy1963
03-22-2008, 12:55 PM
I hope they just play like this is the big one..........loose as a goose and having fun........ I think they can do it. But their backs are up against the wall and they know it, I just know they do. Win one for K!!!

Go guys!!!!

grossbus
03-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Go Duke!!

DU Band Prez 88
03-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Don't post on this board all that much...like many of you, I too was screaming at the TV set and in a state of apoplexy on Thursday evening until Gerald pulled the game out.

Just a few general thoughts on what needs to happen today - some are probably repetitive, and many on this board have provided very in-depth analysis based on carefully watching the team's play all year - but here goes:

1) Greg Paulus - while he's certainly not Bobby Hurley, I really think that those who have criticized his play on this board don't give him enough credit for what he is capable of doing on the court. There isn't a point guard in DI basketball that I'd rather have leading this Duke team. He can run this team's offense much more effectively than he's been doing, and I believe that today he will really show up to play - fewer turnovers, more crisp passes, better decision-making overall including on the fast break (I think we will get more transition opportunities due to markedly better defense and forced turnovers) Does anyone think that the coaches aren't talking to him about the need for him to really step up and lead on the court? I do, and I believe he will respond in a big way. Also we can count on his usual fearless bombs-away 3-point shooting, which I predict will be very accurate 3-point shooting. When we talk about Duke having one of the best 3-point shooting teams in DI basketball, the #1 reason for this is Greg Paulus. If Duke is going to go far, I believe Paulus' leadership/solid play on both offense and defense -- aside from his deadly 3-point shooting, which I believe will continue -- is key.

2) Defense wins games for us. Today the defense will be lights-out, I predict.

3) More driving to the basket by our perimeter players and Singler as well, and big guys, please ATTACK the basket. Thomas and Zoubek, go up strong!! (Not that I'm counting on this, but it would be a huge boost to this team if these two guys would just TAKE IT UP STRONG WHEN THEY HAVE THE BALL WITHIN 3 FEET OF THE BASKET! If you get hammered, you're at least going to the line, so just GO UP STRONG!)

4) Patience when we are in the half-court offense, work for the best shot.

5) We are a smarter basketball team than nearly every other team in this tournament, and I do believe that firmly, so let's use that to our advantage. Eliminate dumb turnovers, over-communicate on defense and keep the concentration level/intensity level high on both ends, patience in our half-court offense, wear the other team down by frustrating their half-court offense.

We are better than West Virginia. Let's WIN THIS GAME and move on!

Deladev
03-22-2008, 01:24 PM
ANYBODY ELSE FEELING THE SAME?

Deladev for Duke

Karl Beem
03-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Wow, bright sunlight in Atlanta and Comcast's CBS feed is breaking up... again.

willywoody
03-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Wow, bright sunlight in Atlanta and Comcast's CBS feed is breaking up... again.

must be local as it's looked good here in charleston, sc on comcast.

Karl Beem
03-22-2008, 02:03 PM
must be local as it's looked good here in charleston, sc on comcast.

Maybe, the Coach K show was unwatchable today.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Our D looked better on the first possession even though the guy got a lucky bounce. Lets keep that up.

indakut
03-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Paulus is on!! http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

devildownunder
03-22-2008, 02:22 PM
LOTS of energy so far and excellent shooting from Paulus, who looks fired up.

Let's hope the guys keep it up. With a sustained performance, we can have huggins still fuming over the foul call on that pick against paulus. :P

jjasper0729
03-22-2008, 02:30 PM
how long before the "duke gets all the calls" crowd starts opining?

indakut
03-22-2008, 02:32 PM
...and Duke's hitting their free throws early (thank goodness)!

indakut
03-22-2008, 02:33 PM
how long before the "duke gets all the calls" crowd starts opining?

I was thinking about the same thing. We'll see.

devildownunder
03-22-2008, 02:34 PM
1. We need to double him.
2. When we double him properly, it works.

devildownunder
03-22-2008, 02:37 PM
I was thinking about the same thing. We'll see.

Those folks come to the game with that opinion already in mind. Don't let their mindset get to you.

indakut
03-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Those folks come to the game with that opinion already in mind. Don't let their mindset get to you.

You're right...it's almost funny though! :D

devildownunder
03-22-2008, 02:44 PM
ANYBODY ELSE FEELING THE SAME?

Deladev for Duke

What does this mean?

willywoody
03-22-2008, 02:45 PM
dave is a rebound machine. he might not be as athletic as some of our other guys but i love his fundamentals, smarts, and tenacity.

demarcus still looks a little under the weather but there looks to be a little more bounce in everyone's step today, hope they can keep it up.

juise
03-22-2008, 02:46 PM
What does this mean?

GGLC = Getting giddy, losing control

I don't think the officiating in unbalanced. I thought when Kyle got his shot blocked, there was enough contact to justify a call... but there was none.

When Lance started off on Alexander, I was wondering if McClure might be a good match-up... looks like he might be.

Dukebacker
03-22-2008, 02:47 PM
WVU has 10 more shots then us.

We need to start rebounding better.

McClure is doing a tremendous job on Alexander. Thats what we need. Let's keep it up guys!

freedevil
03-22-2008, 02:55 PM
I like McClure's defense right now. He may be giving up a few baskets, but he's making those baskets hard to come by and he's not fouling.

YmoBeThere
03-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Did Alexander switch his pivot on that last basket?

CAT Blue Devil
03-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Someone has to explain to me what a travel call is?

Is it only when the ref's are looking down. Alexander did a tap dance!

juise
03-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Did Alexander switch his pivot on that last basket?

I signed into chat just to see if people were thinking that was a travel. I thought it was... so did a few others.

BCGroup
03-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Nice defense--at least looking more like we used to. And McClure is doing a good job.

grossbus
03-22-2008, 03:04 PM
why do i feel like we should be up by 10 or more?

there was a spot early in the half where i thought this might be an easier game to watch than thursday. apparently not.

devildownunder
03-22-2008, 03:04 PM
GGLC = Getting giddy, losing control

I don't think the officiating in unbalanced. I thought when Kyle got his shot blocked, there was enough contact to justify a call... but there was none.

When Lance started off on Alexander, I was wondering if McClure might be a good match-up... looks like he might be.

thanks for clearing that giddy thing.

As for Alexander, he is getting good looks when he takes the ball out high, beyond the top of the key, and works with the dribble. McClure and the double teams are doing well against him down low, for the most part, so I hope Huggins keeps bringing him down there.

CatfiveCane
03-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Duke needs Singler, Scheyer, or Henderson to step it up during the second half. We started off hot, but seem to be missing our open threes now (Paulus and King).

Paulus is a tough kid, but man it kills me to see him with the ball with the shot clock ticking down. He just can not create anything.

devildownunder
why do i feel like we should be up by 10 or more?

there was a spot early in the half where i thought this might be an easier game to watch than thursday. apparently not.

Going into any game assuming a cakewalk is a recipe for an evening of pulling your hair out.

IStillHateJimBain
The key to the second half will be whether Duke can score from the field now that West Virginia has seven more fouls until putting the Blue Devils in the bonus. My guess is the second half will not be called as tightly. Duke will have to continue to look for scoring opportunities without being reckless.

Duke76
03-22-2008, 03:06 PM
and taylor, man I feel for him missing those 3, but overall our defense can be consistent, we need to keep giving them just one shot on each possession

devildownunder
03-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Duke needs Singler, Scheyer, or Henderson to step it up during the second half. We started off hot, but seem to be missing our open threes now (Paulus and King).

Paulus is a tough kid, but man it kills me to see him with the ball with the shot clock ticking down. He just can not create anything.

Perhaps, a solution: take the ball out of his hands in those situations. Move Henderson or Nelson to the point, let them attack toward the lane with the dribble and slide paulus down to the wing or baseline where he can spot up and get ready to catch and shoot, like everyone else.

Karl Beem
We need to start making shots.

dukestheheat

at the half. We had two EGREGIOUS possessions to end the game; we defended well to close out the half, but we're shaky the last three minutes of the game and some momentum has shifted back to West Virginia.

Duke must re-assert itself on defense as we've been doing, keep spacing on offense and hitting those free throws. The free throws are keeping us up and competitive in this game right now!

dth.

YmoBeThere
03-22-2008, 03:09 PM
It sill looks like we are a little disorganized on offense but the defense looks pretty good.

grossbus
"Going into any game assuming a cakewalk is a recipe for an evening of pulling your hair out."

i didn't go in feeling that way and i certainly wasn't thinking cakewalk. just a working margin.

captmojo
The only offensive efficiency the hillbillies have is running a back-door cut when they bring it in within a foot of the free throw line. The base line must be protected!

_Gary
03-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Two biggies at the half:

1) We are not making "open" threes. That's been a killer.

2) Way, way too many second chance points for WVU. If that one aspect of the game is fixed, we are up by about 15 right now instead of only 5. They are killing us on the boards!

Gary

captmojo
03-22-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm also tiring of not getting the call of being pushed in the back on rebounds and loose balls.

I think the outside shots will drop this half. Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BCGroup
03-22-2008, 03:19 PM
After those two threes, we've missed the rest of them, right? Hoping our shot comes back.

YmoBeThere
03-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Unfortunately, we are not a dominant rebounding team...

_Gary
03-22-2008, 03:21 PM
I think the outside shots will drop this half. Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the outside shots do start falling (anything over 40%), we will win going away. If not, we are in for a major dogfight.

blueblood_79
03-22-2008, 03:21 PM
we won't keep missing threes, but we're up 5 at the half, hitting our free throws, and playing solid D...
if we start hitting open looks, we break it open early 2nd half

BCGroup
03-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Now that's the way to start the half.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-22-2008, 03:25 PM
what the **** happened to my high def? the first half was in perfect hd and now the second half its just normal tv mode.

blueblood_79
03-22-2008, 03:26 PM
35 second call with no shot attempt... love it

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-22-2008, 03:30 PM
kyle leveled - no call - GH WIDE OPEN airball - wv answers with a swish from behind the arc

_Gary
03-22-2008, 03:31 PM
If the outside shots do start falling (anything over 40%), we will win going away. If not, we are in for a major dogfight.

Like I was saying... Sigh...

We had a chance to put the clamps on WVU the first 3 minutes of the second half and extend the lead to double digits. Instead, they now have it down to three because we can't throw it into the ocean. We had better get someone into the game that can hit a shot or we are going home. And DeMarcus, sick or not, is a major detriment on the offensive end at this point.

devildownunder
03-22-2008, 03:32 PM
we won't keep missing threes, but we're up 5 at the half, hitting our free throws, and playing solid D...
if we start hitting open looks, we break it open early 2nd half

we need better shot selection on these 3s. Only a couple of the misses have been on good shots (in rhythm of the offense, with the feet set, from a good shooter).

blueblood_79
03-22-2008, 03:33 PM
they got one off that time

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-22-2008, 03:35 PM
back to la la land we go

YmoBeThere
03-22-2008, 03:38 PM
DeMarcus is fine on defense but he's not helping on offense.

Karl Beem
03-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Sure looks like ball game.:(

blueblood_79
the wheels are falling off

ForeverBlowingBubbles
we started off the year running and winning - now were a half court team... and down by 7... losing to a team that only went 11-7 in the big least

Papa Moon
03-22-2008, 03:42 PM
had been playing a great game until now, but you can just start to see this slip right away from them. Up 8 and now down 7. Hopefully henderson can come through again but its looking more and more like west virginia's way. Defense was amazing in the first half now its just gone.

YmoBeThere
03-22-2008, 03:43 PM
This is where I think we should make an adjustment, like Zoubek back in. Not that he'll score and for just a few minutes but as long as he isn't out trying to cover someone at the three point line the interior looks very different with him there.

_Gary
Wheels coming off, doors coming off, engine about to drop out. We aren't dead yet, but WVU only needs one or two more nails to seal this coffin permanently. I'm very disappointed because I know we are better than this. :(

devildownunder
well, the question now is where is the offense going to come from. I fear we will settle for bad 3s and try to shoot our way out of this. That's not the answer. The referees are calling this game extremely tight. I would look to have scheyer and henderson start driving to look for short jumpers in the paint and layups.

dukestheheat
03-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Wheels coming off, doors coming off, engine about to drop out. We aren't dead yet, but WVU only needs one or two more nails to seal this coffin permanently. I'm very disappointed because I know we are better than this. :(

halftime. We had the lead, but it didn't feel like we did and in fact, it felt disconcerting.

We're doing a lot of one-on-one on offense for some reason!

dth.

battierfan
03-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Will Coach K make the adjustments to keep them close?WVU has all the momentum. DeMarcus's offense is still sluggish and he's making some poor decisions on offense. We just look flat. I am proud of how they're fighting in spite of the flu. Not too optimistic right now.

dukestheheat
03-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Will Coach K make the adjustments to keep them close?WVU has all the momentum. DeMarcus's offense is still sluggish and he's making some poor decisions on offense. We just look flat. I am proud of how they're fighting in spite of the flu. Not too optimistic right now.

I don't think we look tired at all; our shots just are not going down and I had a sinking feeling watching Henderson's looooong airball! We need to go to the basket and try to get back to the free throw line. Get a couple of their guys out of the game.

dth.

SharkD
03-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Krzyzewski won't use it as an excuse, but I will -- they're sick, or just recovering from a pretty bad round of the flu.

Plus, THuggins' team is living up to his reputation by playing a very rough game away from the ball, and only occasionally getting called for it.

YmoBeThere
Still more than enough time left but we need to adjust somehow to what is happening.

BCGroup
we are 2 of 12 this half (according to M. Laurence on the radio). UGH

Lippl
Nonslaught.

blueblood_79
this is what almost happened in the belmont game. we were ahead a few points and playing well, then, when the opponent makes a determined push and gets the lead, our players look shocked that anyone would dare punch them in the mouth.

happened with clemson, miami, belmot, now WVU.

what i don't understand is what happened to the toughness and determination they clearly built during the first two and a half months of the season. they were finding ways to respond to an opponent's best shot and willing their way to victories.

where has this toughness gone? back in early february i was struck by the unmitigated toughness of this squad - winning close games, taking their stitches, and never backing down.

now they look shell-shocked again.

bhop22
03-22-2008, 03:50 PM
trying to stay positive, but it's the same old thing for at least the third year in a row. I can't figure these guys out. I don't want to hear about what a great game plan WVU had, or how great alexander is. They need to hit some buckets!! Sorry to be negative just have to vent to someone

blueblood_79
03-22-2008, 03:51 PM
i won't lean on sickness as an excuse per se, but it might explain why the players individually look like they are playing lazy and tired.

dumb gambles on defense leading to stupid fouls, anemic drives to the basket getting blocked easily...

they gotta get some grit if they are going to find a way through this one

bhop22
03-22-2008, 03:52 PM
not syaing Duke will lose, but I want to see them fight tooth and nail til the end

YmoBeThere
Lets hope he makes some free throws...

blueblood_79
.... or start fouling out some of these darned WVU players and take advantage of some mismatches

Papa Moon
03-22-2008, 03:53 PM
its the same thing for the third year in a row because duke is not putting a team out on the floor like they used to. Until they get a new point guard and big man it will be the same thing.

Also i love demarcus but he shouldnt be in right now. Let nolan try and do something.

SharkD
03-22-2008, 03:54 PM
How exactly did Demarcus foul by pushing against the guy who threw a fist into his face?

blueblood_79
03-22-2008, 03:56 PM
i cannot for the life of me fathom where these mental lapses come from. i every one of their losses, they have strung together at least ten minutes of fabulous team defense and superb ball-movement on offense.

then, an internal switch flips and the start firing up ridiculous shots and playing defense from behind, committing silly fouls.

what causes this obvious brainfart?

battierfan
03-22-2008, 03:56 PM
I don't think we look tired at all; our shots just are not going down and I had a sinking feeling watching Henderson's looooong airball! We need to go to the basket and try to get back to the free throw line. Get a couple of their guys out of the game.

dth.

You may be right. But, I can't explain all the standing around and waiting while one person takes over. We've seen this many times in the post-season recently. We are at our best when there's lots of movement and drive-kick plays. So I assume it's the tiredness from the flu. Go Duke

Dukiedevil
03-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Reminds me a lot of the Pitt game unfortunately. Only difference is that we seem to be fighting less... Bad times :(

Papa Moon
Game over. Sorry to be negative and ill be the first to say sorry if they win but anyone who has confidence in this team dosn't watch a lot of basketball. I have never seen a team lose more rebounds to a team of similar size before than this duke team. No excuses.

Coballs
its the same thing for the third year in a row because duke is not putting a team out on the floor like they used to. Until they get a new point guard and big man it will be the same thing.

Also i love demarcus but he shouldnt be in right now. Let nolan try and do something.

All of your points are dead on accurate.

SharkD
03-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Really CBS? You characterize Lance Thomas as "putting the hit on" via a moving screen, but Paulus gets "knocked down" by a guy "saying hello" in a similar situation?

devildownunder
03-22-2008, 03:59 PM
and poor judgment from thomas on that last foul. that was uncalled for.

_Gary
03-22-2008, 04:00 PM
This is like watching a trainwreck. And yes, this is the third year in a row we've seen this type of collapse.

Lippl
03-22-2008, 04:01 PM
This reminds me of the 06 LSU game so much. We might as well be trying to shoot with bowling balls.

SharkD
I agree with Wojo, these refs are just too inconsistent.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
its actually really not hard at all for a small guard to pick up rebounds when the other team is bricking shots so bad their bouncing all the way back out to the key

kaufmjo
03-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Too bad for Devils. Game slipping away rapidly. Another high-seeded Duke team that gets outplayed in tourney. Frustrating

CAT Blue Devil
03-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Wonder if we will break 50 points for the game or get another offensive rebound?

YmoBeThere
03-22-2008, 04:05 PM
You know G has a bad wrist so why do you go to help him up with his bad wrist and not his good one?

Coballs
12 points this half! Pathetic. I can't believe or understand what has happened to this team since winning at Carolina.

devildownunder
I hope people now understand why relying on 3s is fools gold. it just doesn't work.

Anyway, the way to win this game is to find answers on D and let scheyer and henderson create on the offensive end. The hardest part of that is the defense. with the foul situation as it is, it's hard to see how we can get consistent stops on wvu right now.

Need to make this a one-possession game before it gets to the 2:00 mark. Otherwise, wvu just puts it in alexander's hands and rides him home.

feldspar
03-22-2008, 04:06 PM
This Duke team is the Chinese definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Paulus is playing just like his idol JJ Redick did in the NCAA's. Lets just jack up a 3 with a man in our face with plenty of time on the shot clock.

YmoBeThere
03-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Might be helpful if DeMarcus makes some free throws...

buddy
03-22-2008, 04:08 PM
This is like watching a trainwreck. And yes, this is the third year in a row we've seen this type of collapse.

So true. But, of course, since we have the best coach in basketball, it just can't be the direction of the team that causes these train wrecks. But he also chose the players. So why is it we collapse. First, there is no floor leadership. Nelson never was and never will be a leader. We will be better without him next year. In the biggest game of the season he is like 2 for 12. 60% foul shooter. Second, other than Henderson and Smith, we have no team speed. If we keep recruiting slow guys, this will continue. Third, our offense is not a secret anymore. Everyone knows what we will do. Finally, I have to question our character. How can we come out in the second half so flat? I know I'll get flamed, but if we are as good as we are supposed to be, how come WV is smoking us?

battierfan
03-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Too bad for Devils. Game slipping away rapidly. Another high-seeded Duke team that gets outplayed in tourney. Frustrating

Since 2005, we've underperformed in the NCAA. This team looks emotionally flat, burned out. Shorter practices helped somewhat, but this is really hard to fathom. I look forward to seeing what K does next year, but from where I sit, they just don't have that killer instinct/fearlessness as a team. Sad.

_Gary
03-22-2008, 04:09 PM
I can't see any way we come back and win this game. We defied fate against Belmont but it's not gonna happen today.

Coballs
03-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Without an inside presence, teams are guarding our perimeter shooters much more aggressively and effectively, and that is why we have become offensively inept.

Coballs
03-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Stick a fork in them.

thomas
03-22-2008, 04:10 PM
...for the condescending, paternalistic scoldings for anyone who complains about this team's performance. So be ready all ye who are as frustrated as me.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-22-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm billing the duke athletic department for my TV thats about to end up on the pavement.

battierfan
03-22-2008, 04:12 PM

Our only win in the NCAA tournament in the past 2 years is against Belmont. By one point. K please work some more magic in the offseason.

CAT Blue Devil
03-22-2008, 04:12 PM
I think that we are at a -24 rebound margin.

grossbus
03-22-2008, 04:13 PM
the return of the team that couldn't shoot.

_Gary
03-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Folks, I can say it now without fear of contradiction: WE HAVE A TREND ON OUR HANDS. An nasty, nasty trend.

We are tired - again!

We are slow - again!

We have no inside presence - again!

We are getting our butts kicked on the boards - again!

We are going home much earlier than we should be - again!

Karl Beem
03-22-2008, 04:14 PM
It's not possible to come back if you can't make a shot.

feldspar
03-22-2008, 04:14 PM
...for the condescending, paternalistic scoldings for anyone who complains about this team's performance. So be ready all ye who are as frustrated as me.

Agreed. Just get out your standard, "Gutty effort, but we just couldn't pull out the W this time" posts and you'll be fine.

P.S. Jumbo, did you want us all to SHUT UP again? Cause you probably ought to let us know now.

Lippl
03-22-2008, 04:15 PM
play badly at the beginning of the year; play well at the end of the year. Not vice-versa.

battierfan

Right. If you're like me you want to vent but you try to put a positive spin on everything to temper the emotions. They did not play well in the 2nd half and do not deserve to win. It's the same pattern we've seen - peaking in February then descending to mediocrity in the post-season.

OZ
I think that we are at a -24 rebound margin.

NO offense in the second half. Three minutes left and we have scored 17 points.

npdevil27
Agreed. Just get out your standard, "Gutty effort, but we just couldn't pull out the W this time" posts and you'll be fine.

Problem is, the team has quit today. For the first time that I can ever remember. No heart on display this afternoon. And that's what disappoints me the most.

freedevil
03-22-2008, 04:16 PM

Agreed. Can't wait.

YmoBeThere
03-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Problem is, the team has quit today. For the first time that I can ever remember. No heart on display this afternoon. And that's what disappoints me the most.

I don't know if its no heart. They just don't know what to do...

kaufmjo
03-22-2008, 04:17 PM
There should be a level of outrage by the Blue Devil faithful at this kind of performance. How does a 2 seed get outplayed, outcoached by a 7 seed to this extent?? I would ask the DBR staff to take a hard look in the mirror (in the post-game review) to help us understand why this continues to happen to our team? i cant figure it out....

Duke76
Phoenix offense to bed,,,,please find a big man

deuce_rawlin
I guess if we are really this bad we don't deserve to make the sweet 16.

deuce_rawlin
03-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Kaufmjo: You are right. I agree totally. We are getting outplayed with worse talent.

YmoBeThere
Coach Cutcliffe said our conditioning program for football was less than adequate. Could this be true on the basketball side also?

kexman
They were in foul trouble and we can't hit a 3. Why are we not driving. At this point I would almost rather have a 35 second call than shoot another 3.

CAT Blue Devil
I don't think it is lack of heart. I think it is lack of skill.

We just do not have the players anymore that step up. We play better team basketball early in the season but then that difference is not as distinct.

Until we get more balanced teams, this will continue.

keithg
03-22-2008, 04:20 PM
I still think Duke will win!

OZ
03-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Phoenix offense to bed,,,,please find a big man

Nelson 2/11

Offense? Singler 1/3... what kind of offense gets one of your best players three shots?

Duke76
03-22-2008, 04:21 PM
say good night

Coballs
I still think Duke will win!

I'll take some of whatever you're smoking.

deuce_rawlin
Basically we are sucking. That is unfortunate. But it's true. We have a handful of good players but that don't know how to take over a game.

bhop22
Duke must change the way they recruit. Obviously, these aren't the right guys to build around. Duke has some nice complimentary pieces, but no stud to go to when the game is on the line. Poor FT shooting down the stretch, as usual. Outcaoched again

Papa Moon
I hope K sees two things in this game

1. 16 consecutive missed three pointers

2. Not one rebound is even going close to touching a duke players hands, not even close and this teams biggest player is a little bigger than singler.

Its just shocking that K will not fix this, just shocking.

Living by the three will make you look unstoppable in 3-4 games a year and like any other random team the other nights.

What happened to the days of jason williams, shane battier, elton brand, williams avery......they turned into greg paulus, taylor king and brian zoubek recurits. Don't get me wrong Greg is a good hard player, but not the point guard duke needs. He is a nice player off the bench for shooting and husstle.

K better shape up his recruiting if he ever wants to contend for just even another trip to the freaking sweet 16.

Elliot williams is a start, kenny boynton is a must as well as Greg E.

If i were K i would look at this lineup for next year

1. Smith
2. Henderson
3. E. Williams
4. Singler
5. (whoever is the biggest person besides brian zoubek unless he turns into tim duncan overnight)

CAT Blue Devil
The CBS analyst just made a great point.

How can we get out-adjusted by a used car salesman like Huggins?

This really hurts.

devildownunder
03-22-2008, 04:22 PM

This team has not quit. I don't buy that. What has been missing is the necessary adjustments. This chuck-and-duck offense with the 3s didn't work today, didn't work against belmont (unless you think any win must mean the offense worked) and didn't work in the acc tournament. Yet despite that, we wait until we are down double figures with less than 10 minutes to go to start looking to the attack the basket consistently instead of continuing to fire up threes.

If I say what I really think about all that, I'll get banned for sure.

_Gary
03-22-2008, 04:22 PM
We are going to need to vent and I hope the mods don't pull the plug too quickly. I know we don't want any personal attacks on specific players. That shouldn't happen regardless. But at the same time, I really don't want to read all the lovey-dovey "I'm so proud of this team" posts right after this game. That's not warranted. Neither are the obligatory "We still had a great year" posts that will undoubtedly emerge within seconds after the game. Those things should come - but not for a few days.

Folks, this is a major, major disappointment and I for one need to vent and hope I get that chance. Not only that, but I honestly believe this community as a whole is going to need to vent a little. Again, nothing hostile against specific players. But we need to call a spade a spade and not hold back. This was a truly pathetic showing - sickness or not.

Gary

deuce_rawlin
03-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Getting beat by someone like Huggins is disgusting.

keithg
Never give up!

CAT Blue Devil

2. Not one rebound is even going close to touching a duke players hands, not even close and this teams biggest player is a little bigger than singler.

Living by the three will make you look unstoppable in 3-4 games a year and like any other random team the other nights.

What happened to the days of jason williams, shane battier, elton brand, williams avery......they turned into greg paulus, taylor king and brian zoubek recurits. Don't get me wrong Greg is a good hard player, but not the point guard duke needs. He is a nice player off the bench for shooting and husstle.

K better shape up his recruiting if he ever wants to contend for just even another trip to the freaking sweet 16.

1. Smith
2. Henderson
3. E. Williams
4. Singler
5. (whoever is the biggest person besides brian zoubek unless he turns into tim duncan overnight)

Scheyer!

Duke76
03-22-2008, 04:24 PM
single player is on the perimeter

trinitydevil
We stopped playing the bench, and suffered for it. The mentality was, "well Demarcus may be 3 of his last 18, and worn slam out,but I'm gonna lose before I make a change". Sad that we stopped playing the bench, but we should not be surprised because that's what we've seen for years. King and Zou played not one second in the 2nd half. Go ahead and take my post off, but the blame starts at the top... Our run is over! And next year will be dominated by the Heels. Accept it folks, cause that's the reality of it.

Coballs
Faded glory indeed. To make matters worse, there is no reason to think that things will be better next season.

Karl Beem
03-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Duke must change the way they recruit. Obviously, these aren't the right guys to build around. Duke has some nice complimentary pieces, but no stud to go to when the game is on the line. Poor FT shooting down the stretch, as usual. Outcaoched again

The Stupid, it Burns!

jipops
We are going to need to vent and I hope the mods don't pull the plug too quickly. I know we don't want any personal attacks on specific players. That shouldn't happen regardless. But at the same time, I really don't want to read all the lovey-dovey "I'm so proud of this team" posts right after this game. That's not warranted. Neither are the obligatory "We still had a great year" posts that will undoubtedly emerge within seconds after the game. Those things should come - but not for a few days.

Folks, this is a major, major disappointment and I for one need to vent and hope I get that chance. Not only that, but I honestly believe this community as a whole is going to need to vent a little. Again, nothing hostile against specific players. But we need to call a spade a spade and not hold back. This was a truly pathetic showing - sickness or not.

Gary

I'm so proud of this team. They won 28 games.

77devil
The backup point guard has 11 rebounds. Telling.

deuce_rawlin
03-22-2008, 04:27 PM
I wante to rebut that woman who said "faded glory" because of the Belmont game but maybe they were right. Myabe we don't have the heart anymore...we certainly got completely out-coached and out-played in the second half.

keithg
Same spot Duke was in against Maryland...down 10 with 55 seconds.

We can do it!

Duke76
that 3 with no time on the shot clock gave them all the emotion on their side,

give me a break

kaufmjo
everyone is emotional now understandably - i think what would be useful would be for a look back at the posts from the VCU loss last year and outlook for this year. Unfortunately i think we would find not too much changed from that point of view to today.

deuce_rawlin
03-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Nonsense. You are not proud of this team. They fell short.

CAT Blue Devil
45 to 18. Unbelievable.

_Gary
I'm so proud of this team. They won 28 games.

LOL. I actually chuckled at that - and believe me I needed it! Thanks.

12_2bretired
I didnt read the whole thread so i apologize if this has been said.

Why was Nelson on the floor in the second half? He had absolutely nothing. He could barely hit the rim on a free throw. People were driving by him and beating him to the boards.

I have never second guessed K but i will today. This was a poor coaching job.

battierfan
03-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Faded glory indeed. To make matters worse, there is no reason to think that things will be better next season.

K totally revamped the O this year and even threw in some zone. I do think the Suns' offense (or our version of it) is not well suited to the NCAA. You have to be able to play different styles, and definitely to have a couple of warriors inside. I wish K would recruit some INSIDE warriors (since Shelden, we haven't been able to land one). I like Zoubek but he's not that type. I think he'll get better but he'll never be a force that other teams fear.

K needs to re-think how he approaches the offseason, not just the regular season. 4 consecutive years of tournament underperformance should spur some more changes to his coaching style. We'll see.

Papa Moon
03-22-2008, 04:30 PM
I think Gary hit it right on the head, i dont wanna read one post like "GUYS THEY PLAYED SO HARD THIS SEASON!!!!" We haven't made it to the sweet 16 in what three years now, losing to inferior teams every year that exploit our weakness every year. It is the mindset of duke that has gone down hill, look at the faces on the players sitting on the duke bench. Teams used to give up before even stepping on the court against duke, now they just laugh knowing they get a chance to dunk on paulus.

MAJOR changes are needed and i think the first one that needs to be done is Wojo. How can a big man develop without a coach. Maybe thats the answer as to why these big guys dont want to come. Name one duke player that has developed over their time at duke while Wojo has been out big man coach. Sheldon Williams dosnt count because he worked his ^$%^$%^$% off by himself and it showed because he used more power than moves.

bhop22
Duke needs to remember that they aren't the Suns, Paulus isn't Nash, and if you combine everyone else you don't have Stoudamire. I don't know for sure, but does K have toomuch going on with USA basketball. I am just sick to my stomach. Please someone give me something positive because I can't find anything.

CatfiveCane

1. Smith
2. Henderson
3. E. Williams
4. Singler

Coach K ain't dumb. He sees what we see. Now what he going to do about it?

Karl Beem
03-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Duke needs to remember that they aren't the Suns, Paulus isn't Nash, and if you combine everyone else you don't have Stoudamire. I don't know for sure, but does K have toomuch going on with USA basketball. I am just sick to my stomach. Please someone give me something positive because I can't find anything.
Oh please!:rolleyes:

feldspar
K needs to re-think how he approaches the offseason, not just the regular season. 4 consecutive years of tournament underperformance should spur some more changes to his coaching style. We'll see.

He's not going to be able to do that this year. Too much USA Basketball.

Duke76
you can't play this game without some beef in the middle

RockyMtDevil
It's great to win 28 games when there is very little on the line, but these guys over the last two years have played so tight when the games actually matter. And, K isn't about to change anything up to fix it. This is an embarresing loss by anyone's standards and frankly we should have just bowed out on Thursday because this performance will rank as some of the worst March basketball in Duke history.

And I don't buy the whole "we're tired and sick", everyone is tired we just stunk up March for the third year in a row.

I see nothing that changes this trend for next year. Sure, we'll win 27-28 games but we'll all be sitting right here watching brick after god awful brick when the games actually mean something. I just don't think this team has the will and moxy to "win"...

Flame away. I am sure I'll be banned from the boards for my honesty.

keithg
03-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Next play