PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. Belmont

Jumbo
03-21-2008, 01:17 AM
Strange game, boring stats. No lineup or individual was particularly effective/ineffective. Not much to say, so on to the numbers...

Individuals
Taylor King 8-3 (+5)
DeMarcus Nelson 52-48 (+4)
Brian Zoubek 20-17 (+3)
Dave McClure 5-2 (+3)
Jon Scheyer 52-50 (+2)
Lance Thomas 35-33 (+2)
Gerald Henderson 53-54 (-1)
Nolan Smith 20-22 (-2)
Greg Paulus 56-59 (-3)
Kyle Singler 54-62 (-8)

Per 40 Minutes
Taylor King +50
Dave McClure +40
Brian Zoubek +15
DeMarcus Nelson +5.5
Lance Thomas +4
Jon Scheyer +2.7
Gerald Henderson -1.3
Nolan Smith -8
Greg Paulus -3.5
Kyle Singler -10.7

Lineups
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Thomas (x2) 5-2 (+3)
Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-King-Zoubek 6-3 (+3)
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Singler (x2) 11-9 (+2)
Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-McClure-Zoubek 2-0 (+2)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-King-Thomas 2-0 (+2)
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Thomas 4-3 (+1)
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-McClure-Zoubek 1-0 (+1)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler 5-5 (0)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Zoubek 2-2 (0)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-McClure 0-0 (0)
Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-McClure-Singler 0-0 (0)
Paulus-Nelson-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x3) 19-20 (-1)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 5-6 (-1)
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Zoubek 4-5 (-1)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek 5-7 (-2)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 0-2 (-2)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler 0-6 (-6)

Saratoga2
03-21-2008, 10:23 AM
I would have expected numbers like these. Belmont was a much better team than a lot of people supposed. We are in a tournament with the 64 best teams in the country. While some tourney winners are not all that strong, Belmont was legitimate and might have beat many other teams in the NCAAs.

I thought our defense was particularly ineffective. The kids are trying to put so much pressure that it can be counter productive. They can overrun their man leaving them wide open, leave their feet and lose track of open players and back screens. Perhaps the flu has taken a toll on some of our kids but others seem almost to be hyper on defense instead of keeping a cool head and communicating.

On offense, we were guarded by a quick and determined team who played physically and had us taking end of the clock shots. Some of our passers got into situations where they threw the ball away.

On defense, I thought Thomas and Smith are two guys that tend to try to hard rather than play smart. DeMarcus had a game that reflected his bout with sickness. Paulus always has issues with quick guards and he was often caught defending bigger players.

On offense, DeMarcus was not a factor, which is explained by his illness. Thomas was also not a factor again.

We have won with balanced scoring in the past but lately it has been only a few who have stepped up in the games.

Do the numbers reflect that Scheyer, Henderson and Paulus played pretty well? It is hard to see that in the breakdown. Watching the game left no doubt in my mind that those three did well.

CDu
03-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Do the numbers reflect that Scheyer, Henderson and Paulus played pretty well? It is hard to see that in the breakdown. Watching the game left no doubt in my mind that those three did well.

I agree with you on Scheyer and Henderson, but I disagree on Paulus. I actually thought Paulus played a somewhat poor game. He was burned multiple times on backdoor cuts, and was beaten by his man numerous other times. He shot pretty poorly. He committed some bad turnovers, and had a 1:3 assist:turnover ratio. There's really not a lot positive I'd say about his game last night.

Henderson and Scheyer carried the team. Aside from them, nobody else stood out has having a positive game, in my opinion.

Saratoga2
03-21-2008, 10:57 AM
I agree with you on Scheyer and Henderson, but I disagree on Paulus. I actually thought Paulus played a somewhat poor game. He was burned multiple times on backdoor cuts, and was beaten by his man numerous other times. He shot pretty poorly. He committed some bad turnovers, and had a 1:3 assist:turnover ratio. There's really not a lot positive I'd say about his game last night.

Henderson and Scheyer carried the team. Aside from them, nobody else stood out has having a positive game, in my opinion.

It was difficult to find good things to say about many of the guys last night. Henderson was obviously outstanding and Scheyer played well and under control but was harrassed by Belmont continually. I agree that Paulus made errors with his passes for turnovers and he had difficulty defending guards and got caught inside against their bigger players. He did at least did score some points and he is a tough kid and played hard nosed ball. I try to find some good things to say, but I agree there were also a load of problems.