PDA

View Full Version : This may sound strange...

drksuh
03-16-2007, 08:45 AM
This may sound strange, but in my bitter disappointment about last night's loss, I really wish we had gone to the NIT. The post season is where you really learn to win, really learn to develop character, really learn teamplay, etc. Therefore, I REALLY THINK WE WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF IN THE NIT rather than the Big Dance. Because honestly, we aren't that surprised that we are one and done with this team. But I truly believe we could have made the Final Four of the NIT and maybe even have won the whole thing. That would have helped this critically young team immensely in how they view themselves and prepare themselves for their promising future. After all, we are Duke Basketball; we'll be back with a vengeance.

Bob Green
03-16-2007, 08:52 AM
You are very wrong! The whole premise behind the Big Dance is to "Survive and Advance" and we almost did. VCU survived and advanced instead. To suggest we would have been better off in the NIT is demeaning to the great effort our team displayed. Yes, we came up short! But, the NIT? Sorry, I'm not sure what you're selling, but I'm not buying.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Troublemaker
03-16-2007, 08:55 AM
I disagree. Quite frankly, there is too much "shame" in missing the NCAA tournament. I wouldn't want to take that reputation hit to the program. I understand what you're saying but the effect of playing a couple more games wouldn't have been that great. Josh is gone by many reliable accounts. We're adding three new players. Everyone else is getting a year older. The team will be very different next year in style and plan of attack, imo, so the carryover effect of playing a couple of extra games this season would be minimal.

drksuh
03-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Well, at least we would be getting some good in-game experience. There is no way we would have lost in the first round in the NIT.

CMS2478
03-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Well, at least we would be getting some good in-game experience. There is no way we would have lost in the first round.

We can get in-game experience during summer ball. Not going to the dance would have been heartbreaking for the team.

drksuh
03-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Any more heartbreaking than last night was for them and us?

CMS2478
03-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Any more heartbreaking than last night was for them and us?

Better to have been there and loss, than not been there at all.

drksuh
03-16-2007, 10:15 AM
No, CMS, it is better to have loved and lost, than to not have loved at all. In game experience by definition has nothing to do with summer ball. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to be factual.

CMS2478
03-16-2007, 10:23 AM
No, CMS, it is better to have loved and lost, than to not have loved at all. In game experience by definition has nothing to do with summer ball. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to be factual.

The NIT, IMO, is equivilant to summer ball........you can develop further in both. If you don't make the Big Dance, then who cares about any other side tournament. I just think the kids need the experience of the "real thing." It's like military battle you can train all you want, but until you are in the heat of battle in the "real thing" you haven't experienced it. We have now experienced it. Maybe not a good one, but at least these Freshman have been there and know how it feels to lose and hopefully that will motivate them for next year to do better.

And by the way I don't view your posts as negative or argumentative it's your opinion and you are entitled to it.........NO WORRIES. :D

DragonWithMatches
03-16-2007, 10:26 AM
This team had plenty of NIT type experience already this year. Lots of home games against decent middle of the road type teams. You can't compare that to playing on the road in the NCAA tourney.

drksuh
03-16-2007, 10:27 AM
CMS, I have read and respected your posts. You are very knowledgeable and articulate. However, I respectfully disagree and submit for your consideration, that your last post proved my point. In the military, wargames are wargames and are akin to summer ball. The NIT is the real war. There are real zebras, real fans cheering for and against. There is a real clock. etc. However, I do understand what you are saying. But this young team needs the experience that a long run in a real tournament they are trying to win, that the NIT would provide. I just wish we were still playing. How sad it is when the season concludes so suddenly, so cruelly.

CMS2478
03-16-2007, 10:29 AM
CMS, I have read and respected your posts. You are very knowledgeable and articulate. However, I respectfully disagree and submit for your consideration, that your last post proved my point. In military wargames are wargames and are akin to summer ball. The NIT is the real war. There are real zebras, real fans cheering for and against. There is a real clock. etc. However, I do understand what you are saying. But this young team needs the experience that a long run in a real tournament they are trying to win, that the NIT would provide. I just wish we were still playing. How sad it is when the season concludes so suddenly, so cruelly.

I see your point as well...............I guess right now I would take the NIT, cause at least then we would still be playing more than likely ;)

drksuh
03-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Yep, I love DU Basketball so much, that I would rather demean our integrity by continuing to advance in the NIT than to have abruptly and prematurely ended our season.

captmojo
03-16-2007, 02:03 PM
You might swing and you might miss but it's completely certain that you will not hit the ball if you don't swing.

drksuh
03-16-2007, 04:46 PM
captmojo, the same goes for basketball as it does for golf and baseball. I agree with you.

jtholland
03-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Of course you want to go to the NCAA's. Getting a tourney bid is something you earn, and our guys earned a spot this year by playing a tough schedule and winning way more than we lost. Why shouldn't they mix it up with the best in the country?

I promise you we learned more from a loss to VCU than we would have learned winning the NIT. And either way, we still get summer ball.

:cool:

drksuh
03-16-2007, 05:56 PM
I submit that our team has talent, look at all our McDonald All-Americans. But we are very young and inexperienced. There is no way that as talented as our team is, and as good as Coach K is, that we can win a championship with this team, or even make it to the Final Four. Therefore, the worst that could happen was the scenario that happened- i.e. to get upset by a mid major team when we are Duke. I submit that it would have been more uplifting and more experiential to advance deep into a post season tournament and to mature our young team even if it is the NIT. To be humiliated in the Big Dance is worse than advancing and making the Final Four in the NIT. Our young pups have to learn how to win. That is precisely why we were humiliated last night and we are in such angst today.

jtholland
03-17-2007, 02:23 PM
We lost by one basket. We were not humiliated.

Playing lesser talents in the NIT would not have helped our confidence or anything else, because we are Duke. The kids would be thinking all summer about what a letdown it was that they didn't make the REAL tourney.

So, the NIT's only value would be as a negative motivator. Using the shame of it to push you to work harder.