PDA

View Full Version : Caulton Tudor on Duke's NCAAT Chances

Bluedawg
03-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Caulton Tudor from the News and Observer says (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/1006627.html):

Duke has had two men's basketball teams this season.
There was the Duke team that swept the Maui Invitational, stumbled against Pittsburgh, won at North Carolina and was the nation's most impressive club for a long stretch of the regular season.

And then there was the other Duke, the team that appeared during the middle of February. It has had little resemblance to the earlier version.

Those are the Blue Devils who dropped successive road games at Wake Forest and Miami, struggled at N.C. State, lost at home to Carolina, then looked tired and hesitant during last week's ACC Tournament in Charlotte.

He concludes that:

Overall, the odds are stacked against the Duke of November, December and January staging a March encore. But the Devils are stronger than they looked in Charlotte. They'll be around for the third round

I have them in my final 4, which may be more of a heart pick than a head pick.

wilson
03-20-2008, 12:47 PM
I for one think Tudor's assessment is pretty accurate. I don't have Duke anywhere in my bracket, because I didn't (and don't) fill one out.
I have said to several others that I would be really excited about a regional final. That would make 30 wins. While that's somewhat of an arbitrary number, it would still represent a remarkable accomplishment by what I will regardless consider among my favorite Duke teams ever.

Bluedawg
03-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Surprisingly they they pick UCLA to win it all.

ACC NOW: The Podcast (http://videos.newsobserver.com/?a=player&id=1780688)

Their other comments are interesting, especially where they place Duke and the comments on NC State.

Classof06
03-20-2008, 04:07 PM
I agree with Tudor on a lot of levels. There's the Duke team from NC Central to 2/6 at Carolina, then there's the Duke team from 2/7 up to the loss against Clemson last Saturday.

We can beat around the bush but the fact of the matter is that this team hasn't looked the same since playing in Chapel Hill, at least to me.

The Duke team up until 2/6 can beat anyone in the country, especially with Zoubek healthy again. The Duke team we've seen since the Wake game could very conceivably lose to the winner of the Arizona/WVU game. Not trying to be a Debbie downer just calling it like I see it. That's what makes me so nervous about this tournament; I could see Duke having radically different outcomes and it's like neither one would absolutely shock me.

Since the loss the Clemson, I've been praying that we see the first Duke team. I think the key to that is having both Gerald and Kyle hitting on all cylinders at the same time. When they're both on, along with Demarcus, Greg, Jon and the gang, Duke is an awfully tough team to beat.

MarkD83
03-20-2008, 05:27 PM
My observation is that Duke was still strong up until they were 10-0 in the ACC. At that point they lost focus. In addition Zoubek returned and Duke has been making adjustments to get him in the game. Don't get me wrong I am glad he is back. I think that they have now adjusted to his return and I believe they can regain their focus.

Edouble
03-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Since the loss the Clemson, I've been praying that we see the first Duke team. I think the key to that is having both Gerald and Kyle hitting on all cylinders at the same time. When they're both on, along with Demarcus, Greg, Jon and the gang, Duke is an awfully tough team to beat.

I sort of agree. I think we need Greg and Kyle hitting on all cylinders at the same time. Seems like those two were leading the charge when we were at our best. Even if G's not at 100%, I think we can beat anyone, but Singler has to be the key. When he's on, he's nasty and affects every phase of the game. That plus Scheyer, Nelson, and the really solid frontcourt (Z, Thomas, McClure) that I saw in the ACC Tourney should be enough to deal w/anybody. We need Singler to be on if Paulus needs to sit, so that we can keep enough offensive threats in the game when our 3-point bomber is getting rest.

It would be nice if G were hitting too, but I think with his D and rebounding, he can still give us alot even if he's a little off. However, I think Singler may be our most important player.

sagegrouse
03-20-2008, 06:40 PM
I thought at least a part of Duke's problems in the last one-half of the conference schedule was that the other teams had figured out something about Duke's new and unusual offense. I am hoping that duke will have advantages playing a totally new set of opponents.

Second, there is a lot of luck in the NCAAs -- shouldn't be a surprise for a 65-team single elimination tournament. Maybe we'll be unbeatable; maybe we'll be "beatable" but win any anyway; and maybe we'll be unlucky and play a team that is playing out of its mind.

Third are match-ups. Sometimes it's who you play -- and not necessarily based on seed. Beyond Belmont, I would guess that Duke matched up better with a slower WVa team than with 'Zona. WRT to Xavier or Purdue, I would rather play Purdue, but I wasn't very impressed with the X-men today. And, of course, I hope that UCLA loses (and all the other #1 seeds).

sagegrouse

Bluedawg
03-22-2008, 09:26 AM
I sort of agree. I think we need Greg and Kyle hitting on all cylinders at the same time. Seems like those two were leading the charge when we were at our best. Even if G's not at 100%, I think we can beat anyone, but Singler has to be the key. When he's on, he's nasty and affects every phase of the game. That plus Scheyer, Nelson, and the really solid frontcourt (Z, Thomas, McClure) that I saw in the ACC Tourney should be enough to deal w/anybody. We need Singler to be on if Paulus needs to sit, so that we can keep enough offensive threats in the game when our 3-point bomber is getting rest.

It would be nice if G were hitting too, but I think with his D and rebounding, he can still give us alot even if he's a little off. However, I think Singler may be our most important player.

i agree...Kyle is a big inside/outside threat. he needs to be on.

Dukiedevil
03-22-2008, 11:46 AM

One of todays articles mentions that Duke is 18-1 when G scores 12 or more. The 1 was the Pitt game which we would have won if not for that clutch shot by Fields. I think shows the importance of G playing well.