PDA

View Full Version : How We Beat Belmont

Jumbo
03-19-2008, 09:04 PM
In case you weren't around back in 2001, we started a thread with this title and the next opponent's name. That season worked out pretty well. We need some mojo. Time to bring back an old staple.

This one is quick. How We Beat Belmont...

Play Duke Basketball. Period.

rthomas
03-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Run the offense, shoot well. Play defense.

Bluedog
03-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Take away the three. They are even more reliant on the three than we are. If we defend the three decently, we should win. Force them to go out of their comfort zone. Hustle for loose balls. Play team basketball. Try to get inside on the offensive end against a very small team. Crash the boards.

sagegrouse
03-19-2008, 09:19 PM
The way to beat Belmont is to play superb defense, limiting their percentage from three and stifling any attempts to drive to the basket.

sagegrouse

dukelifer
03-19-2008, 09:37 PM
The way to beat Belmont is to play superb defense, limiting their percentage from three and stifling any attempts to drive to the basket.

sagegrouse

Duke needs to play excellent D in the tourney. There have been lapses in the last three games? While Belmont is not big and will try to open things up- Duke needs to turn them over and get easy shots. Duke needs a run of good D and it should start on Thursday.

SlimSlowSlider
03-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Fortunately, we excel at denying the 3. Force them to take a difficult 2. This game does not concern me. The next game does, and not because Zona or W.Va worry me any more than the typical 7-10 winner. It is the fear of failure. I hate it. We need to survive this weekend so I can rid myself of this pox.

Fish80
03-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Ball pressure. Get in the passing lanes. Run and run and run. Rebound everything. Have fun.

Put the ball in the hoop.

mapei
03-19-2008, 10:02 PM
On defense, harrass the shooters, get steals and fast breaks, rebound.

On offense, drive to the basket. Get scores and FTs. Play a relentless pace.

shadowfax336
03-19-2008, 10:03 PM
I was looking at Belmonts defensive stats on kenpom.com, and lets just say they've been winning with their offense (read: 3 point shots)
so shut down the 3s, drive and kick, and enjoy a nice easy one

(and this is the first game all season I've said is going to be easy)

speaking of easy wins, not to derail the thread, but can somebody explain to me how Wisconsin is ranked in the top 6?

gep
03-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Good, Physical, Active defense... wear them out and the 3's will fall short. Turnovers, quick offense...

BD80
03-19-2008, 10:15 PM
It would be unlike Coach K to even think about Belmont before he wins the Derby.

This would be a good game to concentrate on valuing the ball, to break Singler out of his mini-slump and to continue developing Zoubek as a focal point in the offense.

dukestheheat
03-19-2008, 10:26 PM
In case you weren't around back in 2001, we started a thread with this title and the next opponent's name. That season worked out pretty well. We need some mojo. Time to bring back an old staple.

...I am so ready for Duke to open the proverbial can of 'whoop I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.' it's making me silly.

I check around on many of the EZ boards and many fan bases out there have threads started about 'Duke' in some way; while they agree weren't not a threat this year all (so they say), they have started threads about Duke which leads me to believe we're respected and feared.

Many fans are crying 'bring on Duke' but in their heart of hearts, in the cold dark corner of the living room, they fear Duke. They really don't want to play Duke because of our history and also because of what they saw in Duke earlier this year!

So for just a couple games coming up over the next three weeks or so, I'm so hoping for a return to our crushing form that will SHUT UP the legions of Duke haters out there. I have never, ever seen more people more jealous of a group of basketball players than the whole college world when it comes to looking at Duke.

LET'S GO DUKE!!

dukestheheat.

chrisheery
03-19-2008, 10:47 PM
should not only serve as a first round game that we have to play. it should also be a game that serves to let us get our rhythm back. from what i have heard about belmont, they play the perfect style for us. the like to shoot, they aren't physical, etc. it should really let singler get back on track because he can slip screens, post up, and get some rebounds to get himself going. should be some breaks to get gerald involved too. seriously, i don't think we could have chosen a better team if they had let us. if it plays out like it seems it should, we'll be ready to dominate wva or arizona.

norduck
03-19-2008, 10:57 PM
play some defense.

Cameron
03-19-2008, 11:04 PM
I didn't want to start up a thread for this question, so I thought I would ask it here...

I have not been home all day long and know that CBSCS (formerly CSTV) has been carrying NCAA press conferences, so I was wondering when Duke's "studio time" was for the Belmont game? I just scrolled through the television listings and saw that the channel is re-showing some press conferences late into the night; should I expect to see ours?

If anyone could help, that would be much appreciated. I would really love to hear coach and our players talk about the upcoming madness!

Thanks!

BlueintheFace
03-19-2008, 11:54 PM
show up... play hard

jma4life
03-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Listen to Coach K.

socaldukie
03-20-2008, 01:09 AM
It's not at long ago, I love these threads.

Play Duke basketball.

SilkyJ
03-20-2008, 01:14 AM
wear your jersey to work tomorrow

and listen to the man with more NCAA victories than any coach ever

hc5duke
03-20-2008, 02:50 AM
and listen to the man with more NCAA victories than any coach ever

She (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Summitt) doesn't like it when you call her a man

Bob Green
03-20-2008, 05:59 AM
We need our guards to have a strong game. On defense, the guards must pressure the ball and create turnovers. We cannot allow Belmont to develop any offensive rythm.

On defense, the guards need to drive, attack the rim, and kick out to open 3-point shooters.

When Brian Zoubek is in the game, we need to pound the ball inside and take advantage of Zoubek's size. The key to success here is getting the ball to Zoubek at the proper location. Our guards cannot feed the ball to Zoubek with bounce passes below his waist, but must throw it to him at head level or above.

Duke 90 - Belmont 65.

RelativeWays
03-20-2008, 07:56 AM
Remind Zoubek that he is 7-1 and he should be able to put the ball in the basket with relative ease....and NO PUMP FAKES! Stick it up there and win!

gw67
03-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Defense the three point shot, particularly Hare and pound the ball inside on offense. They don't have a great deal of size and don't block shots.

gw67

UncleBill
03-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Plan A: Score more points than the other team.

Plan B: Keep them from scoring more points than "we" do.

jipops
03-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Approach them as if they are the #1 seed, nothing less. Otherwise we could be looking at being upset.

Dukerati
03-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Be aggressive and play fast. We are more talented and skilled than Belmont so an increase in possessions means an increase in score margin.

PatZorro
03-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Honest to God, we aren't much of a team unless we have these guys beat just by arriving at the stadium. If a team has genuine deep March/April expections (and they should be expectations at Duke by this point in time), then such a game like Belmont should be a walkover.

People talk about playing good D, being quick, and hitting threes.

Folks, we need to do that to win later games. If we can't have a mediocre to mildly BAD game and beat Belmont, we are in real trouble against the WVUs and Zonas of the bracket, to say nothing of UCLA.

Honestly, that game should be over NOW if we are a team that is any threat to make noise in the tourney.

PatZorro

calltheobvious
03-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Honest to God, we aren't much of a team unless we have these guys beat just by arriving at the stadium. If a team has genuine deep March/April expections (and they should be expectations at Duke by this point in time), then such a game like Belmont should be a walkover.

People talk about playing good D, being quick, and hitting threes.

Folks, we need to do that to win later games. If we can't have a mediocre to mildly BAD game and beat Belmont, we are in real trouble against the WVUs and Zonas of the bracket, to say nothing of UCLA.

Honestly, that game should be over NOW if we are a team that is any threat to make noise in the tourney.

PatZorro

See State, Mississippi Valley

BlueBlood112883
03-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Play good perimeter D, hit open shots, get to the foul line *hit most of those*, don't turn the ball over.

Clipsfan
03-20-2008, 12:04 PM
I was looking at Belmonts defensive stats on kenpom.com, and lets just say they've been winning with their offense (read: 3 point shots)
so shut down the 3s, drive and kick, and enjoy a nice easy one

(and this is the first game all season I've said is going to be easy)

speaking of easy wins, not to derail the thread, but can somebody explain to me how Wisconsin is ranked in the top 6?

Their record...I think Pomeroy has them ranked in the top 4.

DoubleDuke Dad
03-20-2008, 12:50 PM

Like a drum! :)

ArnieMc
03-20-2008, 04:30 PM
In the immortal words of George Welsh, "If our defense can hold them, and our offense can score some points, we have a chance."

Edouble
03-20-2008, 05:22 PM
...seriously, play Dave McClure. He was awesome last weekend. Let Nolan Smith bring the ball up once when he spells Paulus so Scheyer can still work off the ball.

Deladev
03-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Regain its' remarkable Poise---for BOTH halves.

Try to walk with a touch of swagger .................

Deladev for Duke

Taco
03-20-2008, 05:53 PM
While I don't think we necessarily NEED it to beat Belmont, here's something I'd love to see:

K. Singler 20points 10rebs

Would put some of my jitters to rest

CameronBornAndBred
03-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Just thinking ya outta change the thread title...boy the one that's there now is awfully hopeful and past tense sounding.

Smart defense will beat 'em...that's my two cents.

pamtar
03-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Two words: Gerald Henderson

RelativeWays
03-20-2008, 10:24 PM
A little deus ex machina would have helped as well.

Jumbo
03-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Just thinking ya outta change the thread title...boy the one that's there now is awfully hopeful and past tense sounding.

Smart defense will beat 'em...that's my two cents.

It's a tradition.

devildeac
03-20-2008, 11:42 PM
interesting that NO ONE posted that to beat Belmont, we would have G go coast to coast on our last possession for the winning lay-up...:o