PDA

View Full Version : Women - From out of bed to out the door

EarlJam
03-18-2008, 11:04 PM
How long does it take from the time you get out of bed to the time you walk out the door for work?

-EJ

hc5duke
03-18-2008, 11:10 PM
How long does it take from the time you get out of bed to the time you walk out the door for work?

-EJ

woot first vote (45min-1hr)! voted for my wife :)

DevilAlumna
03-19-2008, 12:06 AM
I went for 25-40 min., because that's as long as it takes me to get ready and get out the door.

The issue is, I don't have a set work time, so depending on the day and whether I have a morning meeting to get to, I get up, make coffee, read DBR, play with the dog, then take 25-40 min. to get showered, dressed, made up and out the door. But that may happen up to two hours after I actually wake up.

BCGroup
03-19-2008, 07:00 AM
I went for 45 minutes to an hour, because that allows me a leisurely pace--especially when I don't have to be at work first think in the morning (the joys of a flexible schedule). But, when I have to be up and out early, I can do it in under 30 minutes.

BluDevilGal
03-19-2008, 07:23 AM
I had to go for 1-1.5. If you count just getting ready to be able to get out the door, it would be closer to 45 minutes-1 hour, but morning coffee and checking email is essential.

Windsor
03-19-2008, 07:30 AM
I opted for 45- 1 hour, that allows for coffe and a quick check of e-mail. In the event of alarm failure or other disasters I can do it in 20 minutes.

BCGroup
03-19-2008, 08:05 AM
I wonder how many of us check email before we go out the door? I do (unless I'm in a hurry). Amazing how it's become such a part of our lives. Oh yeah, and checking DBR too.

TillyGalore
03-19-2008, 08:17 AM
It takes me 1.5 hours to get ready. :eek:

That includes b'fast, feeding cats, playing with cats, and steaming/ironing outfit if I didn't do it the night before. Plus I'm not a morning person so this gives me enough time to fully awake by the time I get to work. If the alarm fails me, then I can do it 45 minutes.

I think I'm the only that does not check email before leaving. It'll be there later and if someone really wanted me, they will call.

pamtar
03-19-2008, 08:42 AM
I voted for the wife. She's up at 6:00 and out the door at 8:30. She is doing something (not hair or makeup) the whole time.

billybreen
03-19-2008, 08:48 AM
I wonder how many of us check email before we go out the door? I do (unless I'm in a hurry). Amazing how it's become such a part of our lives. Oh yeah, and checking DBR too.

I'll vote for my wife in this thread -- she's in the 1.5 to 2.5 hour camp like me. It's hard to blame either one of us for the slow start; it's more that we are enablers for each other.

As for the question of e-mail, etc, as a general rule I'm online if I'm not in the shower or driving. Part of my slow start in the morning is getting caught up with web happenings on DBR, e-mail, etc.

Lid
03-19-2008, 11:10 AM
I voted 45 min - 1 hour, because I have to get two kids and a husband out the door, too. I get maybe 15 minutes of that for myself, and definitely no email.

dukegirlinsc
03-19-2008, 11:32 AM
I cheat the system.

I shower and dry my hair each night before bed. All that I need to do in the morning is straighten my hair and do my makeup. Still a 45 minute process, though.

CathyCA
03-19-2008, 12:48 PM
I can do it in 45 minutes on shampooing days, and that includes a quick check of email and DBR. Fortunately, the days of setting my hair with hot rollers are behind me. That process made my getting ready time extend to 1.5 hours.

bluebutton
03-19-2008, 02:16 PM
I voted longer than 1.5 b/c that's what I like.

I can roll out of bed and be out the door in 10 minutes. I'm not particularly happy about it but I can. Happens for early sports practices or when I had 8AM mtngs and had to be on a shuttle at 7.

I wake up at ~6:30 without an alarm and don't really like to head out before 8:30 or 9 for any reason. Minor parts of the routine are bathroom related or eating. Mostly, I'm doing my morning reading which includes my email, blogs, news, and DBR.

Clipsfan
03-19-2008, 05:30 PM

Blackberries make it all that much easier to check my email first thing in the morning.

My wife takes around 45 to get ready/out the door, but that's because she makes sure she looks professional. I've seen her up and out in under 15 when necessary.

dukemomLA
03-21-2008, 03:28 AM
When I was younger and in school, the time was 8-10 minutes from getting out of bed and out the door.

Today, it's about 45 minutes (feed the cat, feed & let out the dogs, have a cigarette --bad me). And I love those mornings when I can work from home in my sweats and Duke T-shirt).

Bostondevil
03-21-2008, 08:37 AM
I can't answer this question because I get 5 people ready everyone morning. It's not just me. If it were just me, 25-40 minutes. If I don't get up, nobody gets to school on time. I layout all the clothes get all the breakfasts etc. My husband does manage to take care of himself but I still have to wake him up.

BlueDevilBaby
03-21-2008, 10:06 AM
That's taking care of me and the dogs. Eating breakfast at work saves a few minutes as well.

throatybeard
03-21-2008, 01:57 PM
So what we've learned from EarlJam's polls, along with Shammrog's poll aboout how much money everyone makes is:

the average DBR user:

--screws around getting out of the house
--washes their hair a lot
--spends a lot of time angry in the car
--spends all their time once at work posting on the board

--and still somehow makes in the area of $100 grand annually.

billybreen
03-21-2008, 10:05 PM
So what we've learned from EarlJam's polls, along with Shammrog's poll aboout how much money everyone makes is:

the average DBR user:

Leave my liberal white guilt alone. We can't all conjugate verbs for a living.

Indoor66
03-21-2008, 10:12 PM

the average DBR user:

...and have a heart that bleeds for almost every cause.

Lavabe
03-22-2008, 05:07 AM

the average DBR user:

You lost me on the last line.

You're also forgetting the results of EarlJam's all-important bean poll.:D

Ahh... the life of an academic.:rolleyes:
Cheers,
Lavabe

YmoBeThere
03-22-2008, 11:28 AM
You lost me on the last line.

Well, perhaps you haven't spent enough time in the PPB to note its general tilt? :D