PDA

View Full Version : Laettner's Shot (1:17)

TwoDukeTattoos
03-18-2008, 11:50 AM
When I was watching the game, we suddenly lost reception on our TV just as Hill was about to throw the ball inbounds. We had audio, but no video. Once the commentator announced that Laettner had launched a jumper there was absolutely not commentating for quite some time. The pause in vocals seemed to be an eternity. All I knew is that the crowd was going crazy for some reason, but I certainly didn't want to assume that Duke had just pulled off the impossible.

Thanks to YouTube, I have since determined that once Laettner hit the shot, the commentators were silent for 1:17! Wow, that is a really long time for there to be NO commentating under any circumstances. Generally speaking, that would be considered bad TV. However, on that date, it spoke better than anything else to the sheer drama and shock of that beautiful shot and the intensity leading up to it.

Still, I wonder, even in the state of shock and being overwhelmed, why did the commentators wait an entire 1:17 before uttering another word? For the simple sake of their jobs did they not think that they should at least say something? I've always found it to be very interesting. Regardless, I wouldn't have changed a thing. The long silence was nearly as awesome as the shot itself.

EarlJam
03-18-2008, 11:53 AM
When I was watching the game, we suddenly lost reception on our TV just as Hill was about to throw the ball inbounds. We had audio, but no video. Once the commentator announced that Laettner had launched a jumper there was absolutely not commentating for quite some time.

Oh the agony! This reminds me of when Apollo 13 went "dark" as they re-entered the Earth's atmosphere. Mission Control was on pins and needles. An eternity, then *jubulation.

-EJ

*EarlJam understands that the Apollo 13 event was of far more significance than a basketball game and in no way means to diminish the valient effort of both the crew of Apollo 13 and Mission Control.

weezie
03-18-2008, 03:34 PM
As I recall, after "The Shot," the earth stood still....;)

SilkyJ
03-18-2008, 03:40 PM
When I was watching the game, we suddenly lost reception on our TV just as Hill was about to throw the ball inbounds. We had audio, but no video. Once the commentator announced that Laettner had launched a jumper there was absolutely not commentating for quite some time. The pause in vocals seemed to be an eternity. All I knew is that the crowd was going crazy for some reason, but I certainly didn't want to assume that Duke had just pulled off the impossible.

minor point, but while there wasn't any real "commentating" the loud "YEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!" after he said "Laettner puts it up" should have indicated that he made it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY-iq58_oz4

DU82
03-18-2008, 05:59 PM

Thanks to YouTube, I have since determined that once Laettner hit the shot, the commentators were silent for 1:17! Wow, that is a really long time for there to be NO commentating under any circumstances. Generally speaking, that would be considered bad TV. However, on that date, it spoke better than anything else to the sheer drama and shock of that beautiful shot and the intensity leading up to it.

Still, I wonder, even in the state of shock and being overwhelmed, why did the commentators wait an entire 1:17 before uttering another word? For the simple sake of their jobs did they not think that they should at least say something? I've always found it to be very interesting. Regardless, I wouldn't have changed a thing. The long silence was nearly as awesome as the shot itself.

I'd say it was good commentating. A good announcer also knows when to keep silent, and let the moment speak for itself (on TV, at least.) For another example, Chris Berman, on ESPN, was quiet for 5-6 minutes during the 5th inning of the game when CaAl Ripken broke Lou Gehrig's record and just let the pictures and crowd noise speak for the occasion. (Berman staying quiet that long was probably a personal record for him!)

BobbyFan
03-18-2008, 06:11 PM
I'd say it was good commentating. A good announcer also knows when to keep silent, and let the moment speak for itself (on TV, at least.) For another example, Chris Berman, on ESPN, was quiet for 5-6 minutes during the 5th inning of the game when CaAl Ripken broke Lou Gehrig's record and just let the pictures and crowd noise speak for the occasion. (Berman staying quiet that long was probably a personal record for him!)

Agreed. Some moments can be so big that commentators can only take away from it by speaking. Pat Summerall was one of my favorites who understood this perfectly.

Cameron
03-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Can anyone here imagine if Vitale had gotten a hold of that moment?

It's awesome, it's awesome, it's awesome, it's awesome, it's awesome, it's awesome, Duke, it's awesome, Duke, it's awesome, it's awesome, it's awesome, Duke! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Duke Baaaaaayyyyybbbeeee, it's awesome, it's awesome, Duke, I'm going BANANAS!

Dear Lord.

moonpie23
03-18-2008, 11:02 PM
we were driving back from columbia sc to raleigh and i had been searching frantically for a station carrying the game.......after about 30 min of scanning, i finally found it on a very weak station with about 2 min left in the ot....

as we drove on listening, the station started to get lost. i could barely hear it...When hill took the ball out of bounds, i slammed on the brakes and screetched to a halt on the side of I-95. the radio was so static-y, i didn't hear the "YESSSSSSS".....so we just sat there screaming "what happend? what happened?"

wow....

to this day.....that's why my wife's uncle from UK hates me...

dynastydefender
03-19-2008, 09:33 AM
we were driving back from columbia sc to raleigh and i had been searching frantically for a station carrying the game.......after about 30 min of scanning, i finally found it on a very weak station with about 2 min left in the ot....

as we drove on listening, the station started to get lost. i could barely hear it...When hill took the ball out of bounds, i slammed on the brakes and screetched to a halt on the side of I-95. the radio was so static-y, i didn't hear the "YESSSSSSS".....so we just sat there screaming "what happend? what happened?"

wow....

to this day.....that's why my wife's uncle from UK hates me...

The city of Elizabethtown KY (Where I am from) went from a bustling little town of around 25,000 folks watching thier team upset the #1 Team in the country to a complete standstill when Laetner hit the Shot. I mean it was like the sun went down IMMEDIATELTY. I remember that day the same way I remember 911. Come on folks!! I got closure on this when I first joined the board. Now I am going to need more therapy!!:)

drdukeblue33
03-19-2008, 01:46 PM
i was there sitting 10 rows up looking right at the foul line. i had seats airline tickets hotel for final four and felt sick during the timeout. told my wife wanted to leave the k fans were waving those flags and i felt sick. remember wondering why noone was guarding grant or trying to front laettner. hush as the ball was thrown in. everyone standing . the throw. the catch. the shot! as the shot went in everyones hands went up and complete hysteria. the guy behind me jumped on my back and almost killed me. two guys on sports reporters ryan the little obnoxoius guy from ny were high fiving each other. remember looking at k going over to the kent bench and the radio guy. my work is oncology and can be depressing but whenever a little down from life can just recall that moment and it bstill brings a glow. only a true dukie can understand.

SharkD
03-19-2008, 03:31 PM
More than the images, Bob Harris' play-by-play is seared into my brain -- we had muted the TV and turned on 620...

Bobby Hurley up the floor with Laettner... Grant Hill with the inbounds pass, throws it the length of the court... Laettner catches, comes down, dribbles... shoots... SCORES! Christian Laettner has hit the bucket at the buzzer! The Blue Devils win it 104 to 103. Look out Minneapolis, here comes Duke! The destiny Devils have done it again!

On my Mac Pro at home, I've got a clip with Bob's play by play, I'll post it tonight.

PS -- Take a look at my Avatar image (http://www.achievement.org/achievers/krz0/large/krz0-047.jpg) -- taken by a Herald-Sun photog, it was printed in full color two-page spread the next day. The shutter was perfectly timed to dispel any notion by Kentucky fans that the shot came after time expired.

SharkD
03-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Okay, so my memory isn't exact, but it's pretty good for 16 years ago.

This is just video of "The Shot" with Bob Harris' play-by-play:
282 (http://homepage.mac.com/mustang_dvs/videos/The_Shot.mp4)
(click image to open MP4 video)

This starts with the same clip, plus highlights of the 1992 Final Four, including an ecstatic Coach K and footage of Grant Hill's dunk that made the cover of SI:
283 (http://homepage.mac.com/mustang_dvs/videos/AC_02.MP4)
(click image to open MP4 video)

Edouble
03-20-2008, 05:47 PM
i was there sitting 10 rows up looking right at the foul line. i had seats airline tickets hotel for final four and felt sick during the timeout. told my wife wanted to leave the k fans were waving those flags and i felt sick. remember wondering why noone was guarding grant or trying to front laettner. hush as the ball was thrown in. everyone standing . the throw. the catch. the shot! as the shot went in everyones hands went up and complete hysteria. the guy behind me jumped on my back and almost killed me. two guys on sports reporters ryan the little obnoxoius guy from ny were high fiving each other. remember looking at k going over to the kent bench and the radio guy. my work is oncology and can be depressing but whenever a little down from life can just recall that moment and it bstill brings a glow. only a true dukie can understand.

Wow! Great story. I've never heard from anyone who was actually there. Personally, I remember watching and taping the game for my Mom (huge Duke fan) who couldn't watch b/c she was helping to run a charity auction. When she got home (in the days before cell phones and internet) I refused to tell her who won, and just made her watch the tape.

JBDuke
03-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Wow! Great story. I've never heard from anyone who was actually there. Personally, I remember watching and taping the game for my Mom (huge Duke fan) who couldn't watch b/c she was helping to run a charity auction. When she got home (in the days before cell phones and internet) I refused to tell her who won, and just made her watch the tape.

What's the over/under on how long it takes Evans to notice this thread and give us yet another rendition of how "he had to lean to see around Grant before he threw the pass"??? I say 6 hours.

SilkyJ
03-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Can anyone here imagine if Vitale had gotten a hold of that moment?

It's awesome, it's awesome, it's awesome, it's awesome, it's awesome, it's awesome, Duke, it's awesome, Duke, it's awesome, it's awesome, it's awesome, Duke! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Duke Baaaaaayyyyybbbeeee, it's awesome, it's awesome, Duke, I'm going BANANAS!

Dear Lord.

don't forget "america! are you serious!?!"

here's to tonight everyone! go duke!

roywhite
03-20-2008, 06:46 PM

good story, doc...

I was there, too, and on my birthday, no less. One thing I remember from that game was the UK fanbase being wildly enthusiastic, and the Duke fans being apprehensive, cheering but thinking oh (insert cuss word), we might lose this game. The ball is in the air, Laettner catches it cleanly, dribbles (no, Christian...don't dribble!!), turns, shoots....

Seemed to me there was about a 1/2 second delay on the crowd noise....like, did we really just see that?? And then bedlam. Wow.