PDA

View Full Version : Q&A related to NCAAT broadcast schedules/announcers &c

JBDuke
03-17-2008, 11:01 AM
I've been poking around the CBS site for the last half-hour, and I can't find the broadcast schedule. The ACC site says Duke plays at 7:10 p.m. Thursday, which makes sense. Miami is a 12:30 game on Friday, Carolina's in the 7:10 slot Friday, and Clemson gets the late game - a 9:30 start on Friday. However, they only have the ACC teams, and I'd like to see the whole bracket.

If you find a link to a tourney bracket with broadcast times, please reply to this post and share with the rest of us.

Thanks!

dcarp23
03-17-2008, 11:04 AM
http://org-www.ncaa.com/uploadedFiles/Sports/Basketball_(M)/2008D1MensBasketballBracket.pdf

DukeFencer
03-17-2008, 12:27 PM
And if you want a list of times in order by day so you can plan your work schedule, just check out the "scoreboard" on CBS sports. Here is Thursday's schedule:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/scoreboard/mayhem/20080320

Highlander
03-17-2008, 12:50 PM
And if you want a list of times in order by day so you can plan your work schedule, just check out the "scoreboard" on CBS sports. Here is Thursday's schedule:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/scoreboard/mayhem/20080320

Wohoo! Looks like the West Regional has been moved to Durham :)

Clipsfan
03-17-2008, 01:05 PM

The CBS scoreboard still shows it in DC

throatybeard
03-17-2008, 01:12 PM

Well, Japan is a major threat to the West Coast see, and...

Wait, no, that was 60-some-odd years ago.

Clipsfan
03-17-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm trying to plan my Saturday at the moment, and unfortunately the scoreboards won't show the times for the Saturday games until after the Thursday games are played. If anyone finds a link to the expected times (I'll hope/assume that Duke and UCLA can win their first games) please let me know.

tbyers11
03-17-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm trying to plan my Saturday at the moment, and unfortunately the scoreboards won't show the times for the Saturday games until after the Thursday games are played. If anyone finds a link to the expected times (I'll hope/assume that Duke and UCLA can win their first games) please let me know.

The pdf linked above shows second round-times. If Duke wins they will play at 2:10 EDT on Saturday

weezie
03-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Does anyone have any historic recollections as to whether there are afternoon games in the 3rd round? Are those game usually played all at night?

Duvall
03-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Does anyone have any historic recollections as to whether there are afternoon games in the 3rd round? Are those game usually played all at night?

No, two prime-time slots, around 7:00 and 9:30.

gw67
03-18-2008, 03:32 PM
The ACC only got four bids but they dominate the color announcers for CBS - Bilas (Duke), Elmore (Md), Bonner (Va), Spanarkel (Duke), Packer (Wake), Gminski (Duke) and Wenzel (Duke assistant coach). According to the link below, Wenzel and Bolerjack will do the Duke game.

http://forums.eog.com/college-basketball-betting/the-announcers-and-times-cbs-coverage-126135.html

Wenzel seems competent to me but I suspect we can count on several complaining about the announcing team for Thursday's game and their anti-Duke bias. Personally, I like all eight color men (Raftery is the eighth) but if you forced me to choose, I would take Spanarkel. I don't hear him as much so his views are fresh and, based on a small sample, he seems to do a very good job of identifying and describing the finer points of the game to the viewer.

gw67

BlueDevilBaby
03-18-2008, 03:56 PM
I like all but Packer and Elmore. Bilas is good but not as good as rest, IMO. But I still like him better than those other jokers. The Raft is just fun. I also like the Gman more and more. Maybe it's just that we get to hear him so much in ACC. Congrats to him on "Legends" BTW.

rthomas
03-18-2008, 04:50 PM
I have never liked Wenzel. But he keeps coming back each year.

pfrduke
03-18-2008, 05:48 PM
The ACC only got four bids but they dominate the color announcers for CBS - Bilas (Duke), Elmore (Md), Bonner (Va), Spanarkel (Duke), Packer (Wake), Gminski (Duke) and Wenzel (Duke assistant coach). According to the link below, Wenzel and Bolerjack will do the Duke game.

http://forums.eog.com/college-basketball-betting/the-announcers-and-times-cbs-coverage-126135.html

Wenzel seems competent to me but I suspect we can count on several complaining about the announcing team for Thursday's game and their anti-Duke bias. Personally, I like all eight color men (Raftery is the eighth) but if you forced me to choose, I would take Spanarkel. I don't hear him as much so his views are fresh and, based on a small sample, he seems to do a very good job of identifying and describing the finer points of the game to the viewer.

gw67

It's a shame they had to harness a high-flyer like Gus Johnson with an anchor like Len Elmore. I'll be at the games in Anaheim - I may see if I can hunt Jay Bilas out and say hi while I'm there.

Faustus
03-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Bob Wenzel was an assistant coach at Duke under Bill Foster (later surviving brain surgery, quite a story in its own right) and I think pretty unlikely to trash Duke on Thursday. Don't think I've ever noticed him trashing anyone on the air, come to think of it. He's not a spectacular commentator, but generally is one who highlights the positives of a game. And think of how many worse ones could have been assigned to that pod.

duke211
03-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Does anyone have the time of the two games?

Ignatius07
03-19-2008, 09:36 AM
I don't think CBS will announce them until they know the winners from Thursday. It's all about TV.

blazindw
03-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Does anyone have the time of the two games?

The winners of Duke/Belmont and Zona/WVU will be at 2:10pm. The winners of Baylor/Purdue and UGA/Xavier is 30 minutes after the first game.

91devil
03-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Let's win on Thursday before we start talking about the weekend.

4decadedukie
03-19-2008, 10:13 AM
. . . and just to keep everyone informed, Duke's #1, undefeated MLax team plays Georgetown at 1000 (on ESPN, although I'd also check ESPN-U).

msdukie
03-19-2008, 11:09 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/cbssports/story/10717250

BlueDevilJay
03-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Where in the heck is Gus Johnson in the mix??!! I LOVE listening to that guy do games.

tbyers11
03-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Here is a link to coverage maps (http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/03/cbs-coverage-maps-for-thursday-found.html) showing which games will be shown in which markets. The 7:10 window (Duke's game) is shown below.

http://www.muscoop.com/pickem/320-3-prelim.map.pdf

The constant regions for each game indicate areas that won't be switched from their primary game to another game.
Courtesy of Awful Announcing (http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/) and MUscoop (http://www.muscoop.com/)

DevilAlumna
03-20-2008, 01:44 AM
I'll start.

Stupid Local CBS Channel seems to think that although they have three channels devoted to airing tourney games, they have to show the stupid Wash State game on two of them, and the USC game on the other, thus leaving no room for the Duke game!!! :mad:

Gawd, I hate Pac-10 country.

Lavabe
03-20-2008, 05:30 AM
DA: You forget that even if you were in the region where they show the opening Duke game, it's CBS.

What's the over/under as to the number of game minutes they will actually show us the Duke game? In blow outs, remember that earlier in the year, they cut away early in the second half of St. John's. If the game is not a blow out, CBS also has the tendency to be sure that we see action from EVERY active game, while sacrificing the game you were watching.

I DO know that we will not get a full game on TV in the opening round. I just hope it's for the blowout reason.

LGD!
Lavabe

blazindw
03-20-2008, 07:30 AM
I'll start.

Stupid Local CBS Channel seems to think that although they have three channels devoted to airing tourney games, they have to show the stupid Wash State game on two of them, and the USC game on the other, thus leaving no room for the Duke game!!! :mad:

Gawd, I hate Pac-10 country.

DA: You forget that even if you were in the region where they show the opening Duke game, it's CBS.

What's the over/under as to the number of game minutes they will actually show us the Duke game? In blow outs, remember that earlier in the year, they cut away early in the second half of St. John's. If the game is not a blow out, CBS also has the tendency to be sure that we see action from EVERY active game, while sacrificing the game you were watching.

I DO know that we will not get a full game on TV in the opening round. I just hope it's for the blowout reason.

LGD!
Lavabe

Head to a Sports bar that has DirecTV. They have the packages where they show each game in its entirety, and none of them will be cut off. Also, you can head to the internet. http://ncaasports.com/mmod. I believe you had to register, so I'm not sure if it's too late, but they will show every game for free as well.

Lavabe
03-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Head to a Sports bar that has DirecTV. They have the packages where they show each game in its entirety, and none of them will be cut off. Also, you can head to the internet. http://ncaasports.com/mmod. I believe you had to register, so I'm not sure if it's too late, but they will show every game for free as well.

Will try out the web site for the Belmont game. Thank you very much.

On Saturday, assuming Duke beats Belmont, a core group of the Atlanta DBR Mafia is trying to get together at a sports bar. Of course the downside is that there's a large Duke Hatred Tsunami out there, so hopefully all will be safe.

Cheers,
Lavabe

JBDuke
03-20-2008, 09:50 AM

Even this isn't a guarantee. If your local CBS station has the game, that site is blacked out on the DirecTV channel, and my experience has been that if the local channel switches, DirecTV isn't too speedy about un-blacking out the satellite channel. I've missed a lot of Duke first round action this way.

Teton Jack
03-20-2008, 10:02 AM
It's a shame that the NIT will get better coverage than the NCAA's. Unfortunately, the NCAA doesn't appear as interested in building its franchise with its decision to sell the rights to CBS. The fans then have to suffer because CBS doesn't own cable channels where it can farm out other regional games. Since this is all about the $, I don't expect this ever to change. Alas . . .

Teton Jack

dukerev
03-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Does anyone know if there is a map that shows what game will be the (primary) game shown in which regions of the country?

rockymtn devil
03-20-2008, 10:23 AM
I'll be the one to throw a little support to CBS. We do not get the Duke game here in Denver (I have an interview this afternoon and might have to miss the first half anyway), which sucks, but I think CBS does a good job distributing the games. They can't make everybody happy in every market and I appreciate that they do keep viewers constantly updated on the happenings in other games. They also switch off of blowouts to more competitive games and/or big upsets. Sure it's about money, but so what? The NCAA tournament is big business and making money and providing a good selection of games are not mutually exclusive. I wish I didn't have to go to a bar to watch Duke tonight, but it happens.

Further, if you have DirectTV (which I don't) you can order the first 3 rounds in their entirety for a pretty reasonable fee (or at least it was reasonable a decade ago when I would order it at my parent's house).

Lid
03-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I wish it was possible to choose which game you watch, but I do appreciate the constantly-updated scores on the screen. I'll be watching online again this year, though!

sagegrouse
03-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Further, if you have DirectTV (which I don't) you can order the first 3 rounds in their entirety for a pretty reasonable fee (or at least it was reasonable a decade ago when I would order it at my parent's house).

DirecTV is all I get here in the inter-mountain region (Steamboat). I bought the Mega March Madness package for $69.99 -- a heck of a lot cheaper than flying back to DC for the game. I'll let you know if it it up to snuff -- i..e., all games for all 40 minutes; mostly HDTV; no confusion in finding the channel (702-706).

sagegrouse

jacone21
03-20-2008, 10:45 AM
I have purchased MMM on Directv the last couple of years. It has been pretty darn good. The only complaint I have is that they black out the broadcast that is carried by your local station. I wish they wouldn't do that, because the MMM picture quality is better. Also, they invariably switch over to another game in the early rounds, and sometimes they are a little slow to "unblackout" the MMM channels. Overall, I give it a 95%. It's great to be able to watch the game I choose to watch early in the tournament, as opposed to the game some program manager thinks I want to watch.

msdukie
03-20-2008, 10:52 AM
IF we win tonight, this will not be a problem on Saturday. We would be the only game at 2:10.

whereinthehellami
03-20-2008, 11:21 AM
CBS sucks hard. Even their website sucks compared to ESPN. Billy Packer. Greg Doyel. Nuff said.

DirecTV's package stinks because they switch the games and oftern show the same game on multiple channels. I did it one year and was charged for two years after that despite not ordering it. They told me that it was up to me to call them and tell that I did not want that again. Big pain in the butt. This was a few years ago but it really soured me to how they do their business.

jipops
03-20-2008, 11:27 AM
I haven't heard Packer's voice yet but I'm already sick of him.

dukerev
03-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Here's a link to a cbs coverage map, so you can see what game they'll show at what time (and then of course, switch). In any case, this is the cbs plan:

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/cbs-coverage-maps-see-what-games-you-get-watch-42170

NashvilleDevil
03-20-2008, 11:55 AM
I should get the Duke game in its entirety. Vandy, the Vols and Memphis are not on until Friday so Belmont will be the game everyone here.

DukieInKansas
03-20-2008, 12:52 PM
When the schedules came out, I was excited to see that we didn't play opposit Kansas so there was a chance the Duke game would be shown. Then I looked further - we play at the same time as K State so not on local TV.

Guess I'll go to Maundy Thursday service at church instead. I'll be praying for a victory.

GTH, C, GTH
GTH, C, GTH

devildownunder
03-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Even this isn't a guarantee. If your local CBS station has the game, that site is blacked out on the DirecTV channel, and my experience has been that if the local channel switches, DirecTV isn't too speedy about un-blacking out the satellite channel. I've missed a lot of Duke first round action this way.

ah, the one and ONLY advantage of being an international when trying to follow my blue devils. Can you use a proxy IP address to get around this?

sagegrouse
03-20-2008, 02:35 PM
DirecTV is all I get here in the inter-mountain region (Steamboat). I bought the Mega March Madness package for $69.99 -- a heck of a lot cheaper than flying back to DC for the game. I'll let you know if it it up to snuff -- i..e., all games for all 40 minutes; mostly HDTV; no confusion in finding the channel (702-706).

sagegrouse

All three games in the 12 hour ET were easily found and all in HD. so far, so good (although I was really pulling for Georgia to beat Xavier).

sagegrouse

jacone21
03-20-2008, 03:12 PM
I wish CBS would pimp their primetime shows a little more... like during every other break in the action.

MarkD83
03-20-2008, 10:31 PM
First I apologize to the monitors for having to delete this out of the Belmont thread.

Here in central VA CBS has the sound from one game and the video from another. Some of the commentary about the commercial is quite amusing.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Jim3k
03-21-2008, 02:29 AM

On the left coast, this link was fairly satisfactory. Picture quality left a lot to be desired, but given the alternative, it wasn't too bad. Free. Didn't have to register.

However, if you don't click their OK when it appears (maybe every 12-15 minutes) they time you out and you have to start over.

It's like watching a non-HD LCD screen. Sometimes the ball moves too fast to be seen and you wonder why X has the ball when you thought Y had it.

throatybeard
03-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Coverage maps for Friday. I'm gonna have to find somewhere with the package for Mississippi State-Oregon.

http://www.hdsportsguide.com/news/2008/ncaa-tournament-coverage-maps/#day2

SilkyJ
03-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Living out west so I'm getting the Uconn SD game and G-Man is doing color. Didn't think I had heard him do color for the NCAAs before...though could very easily be wrong...

be awesome if he did the sweet 16/elite 8 too...

captmojo
03-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Jim Spanarkel is working the Oregon/Miss St game.

I'll be glad when CBS loses the contract for the tournament.

sagegrouse
03-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Is this supposition correct?

There are eight teams of announcers and commentators at this weekend's NCAA sites.

Three of the eight commentators were Duke b-ball players: Gminski, Spanarkel, and Bilas. And isn't Jason Williams somehow involved?

Seems like an unfair recruiting advantage to me. I am surprised there haven't been protests.

sagegrouse

mgtr
03-21-2008, 08:25 PM
I have had MMM on Directv for several years, and while not perfect, it is pretty darn good. I am glad to have it, and think it is $69 well spent. So far this year I have been able to watch all the games in which I had an interest.

BCGroup
03-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Coverage maps for Friday. I'm gonna have to find somewhere with the package for Mississippi State-Oregon.

http://www.hdsportsguide.com/news/2008/ncaa-tournament-coverage-maps/#day2

Any ideas for Saturday? I tried to find it on the same site, but no luck.

JBDuke
03-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Any ideas for Saturday? I tried to find it on the same site, but no luck.

Duke is the only game in the 2 p.m. time slot, so we're nation-wide. For the rest of the games, check them out here:

http://www.hdsportsguide.com/ncaabb/

jipops
03-21-2008, 10:59 PM
a title of sarcasm.

Anybody out there catch this? Dave Telep had an unplanned radio interview with Billy Packer yesterday. A few minutes into this interview Dave asked Billy about a rumor reported by the Chicago Tribune that Billy will soon be leaving his long held job at CBS. In true egotistical, patronizing fashion Packer rips into Telep for even being asked about it and basically tells Dave how he should do his job as a journalist. Really Billy?? YOU'RE a journalist? All Telep seems to be doing is trying to dispel a rumor by going to the source but Packer instead becomes inflamed.

I'm not one to go on rants about announcers but those of you out there that are not exactly fans of Packer, and there are certainly quite a few, may find this quite entertaining.

http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/ scroll down to find "Dave Glenn with Billy Packer"

captmojo
03-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Duke is the only game in the 2 p.m. time slot, so we're nation-wide. For the rest of the games, check them out here:

http://www.hdsportsguide.com/ncaabb/

The coverage tonight has been quite frustrating to say the least. The Greensboro affiliate and the Roanoke station are mirrors. I start out excited to see Clemson do well. They switch to Ark/Ind, then to Boise/ Louisville, then Memphis, back to Clemson, then back to Ark/Ind. Each change was set up so you could view 30 seconds of action, then straight to time-out and commercials. I've seen much more commercials than basketball. I scream at the TV with each switch and watch my blood pressure skyrocket. They let you stay at one venue just long enough to get really interested, then SWITCH?

CBS, you suck worse than I could imagine that life could be like if I were a baseball fan at the U of Antarctica.:mad: :mad: :mad:

mgtr
03-21-2008, 11:07 PM
That is why you need Directv and Mega March Madness. I saw exactly the games I wanted, and no others. I agree that CBS sucks.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-21-2008, 11:29 PM
a title of sarcasm.

Anybody out there catch this? Dave Telep had an unplanned radio interview with Billy Packer yesterday.

http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/ scroll down to find "Dave Glenn with Billy Packer"

I was going to point out that it was David Glenn and not Dave Telep, but you corrected yourself.

Thanks for linking it. I heard Glenn talking about the "episode" on today's show, but hadn't listened to it yet.

BD80
03-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Is this supposition correct?

There are eight teams of announcers and commentators at this weekend's NCAA sites.

Three of the eight commentators were Duke b-ball players: Gminski, Spanarkel, and Bilas. And isn't Jason Williams somehow involved?

Seems like an unfair recruiting advantage to me. I am surprised there haven't been protests.

sagegrouse

A 4th, Bob Wenzel, was an assistant coach at Duke while Gminski and Spanarkel were there.

jipops
03-21-2008, 11:48 PM
I was going to point out that it was David Glenn and not Dave Telep, but you corrected yourself.

Thanks for linking it. I heard Glenn talking about the "episode" on today's show, but hadn't listened to it yet.

Yeah, I meant Glenn. oh well.

sagegrouse
03-22-2008, 12:33 AM
That is why you need Directv and Mega March Madness. I saw exactly the games I wanted, and no others. I agree that CBS sucks.

When the local Denver channel (175 miles away over four mt. ranges) decided to switch from Oklahoma-St. Joe's to Vandy-Siena, DirecTV actually turned on all four channels for Mega March etc. (Previously the OU game had been blacked out in favor of Channel 4).

I was amazed.

sagegrouse

mgtr
03-22-2008, 03:48 AM
Sometimes the TV fates smile upon you. I have had a somewhat similar (different teams) experience.

Karl Beem
03-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Is your Comcast CBS signal breaking up? Mine has been throughout the tournament.

PallasAthena
03-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Friday night my picture was breaking up here in Raleigh. I called Time Warner to reset my digital box, and they said they were having trouble with the feed; my box was not the problem. Perhaps the problem was from the CBS source.

DukeFencer
03-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Yes, but it isn't anything new. I'm in Atlanta and it seems like at least once a week I get a temporary blackout or freeze (on my TV and on friends.) To me "Comcastic!" means I have low expectations for a cable company.

dukegirl
03-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Switch to satellite. I never have any problems, unless MAJOR cloud cover/storms are happening, which is rare.

Huh?
03-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Atlantans, get some of these high schoolers from there to Duke...ASAP!

Edouble
03-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Atlantans, get some of these high schoolers from there to Duke...ASAP!

I went from high school in Atlanta (Paideia) to Duke myself, and my advice to those in Atlanta is go down and enjoy a fresh slice of the best pizza in the world and take in the game at Fellini's (the one on Clifton has a TV).