PDA

View Full Version : Doom and Gloom

RelativeWays
03-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Since some of us have already written off this season as a failure, lets keep some things in mind, things we didn't come close to accomplishing last year

1. We won a preseason tournament
2. We've been ranked in the top 10 almost all season
3. We got a win over the holes and swept the twerps, not the other way around.
4. We had one regular season losing streak of 2 games, not two losing streaks of 4 games a piece.
We've one 27 games and its not unreasonable to think we could win 30.
5. We've won a lot of close games that we would have lost last year (we've lost a couple as well)
6. Our current slump has more to do with fatigue and injury than lack of talent, right attitude or direction.

Yes its possible we could choke and lose in the round of 32, its also possible we play following Saturday as well. I would hate for people to lose sight on what we have improved on this season and solely focus on the negative.

dukie8
03-16-2008, 11:14 AM
6. Our current slump has more to do with fatigue and injury than lack of talent, right attitude or direction.

i think that G's injury is A LOT worse than anyone is leading on. anything that needs surgery is pretty bad and he was in some serious pain at the end of the game yesterday. that has to be impacting him negatively and without him at full-strength our halfcourt offense takes a serious hit. singler being off further compounds our offensive issues.

can we stop with the fatigue excuses? how is our team any more tired than any other team? it's not like we have been playing more or longer games than anyone else. i thought the 3-week layoff in december was supposed to fix the fatigue issues from the past?

houstondukie
03-16-2008, 11:30 AM
For those of you who are feeling a little dejected (including myself), watch the video of the post-game news conference (posted on the dbr front page). Coach K seems very confident in his team, so why shouldn't we be? We'll get some rest and be ready to go.

Don't underestimate last yrs loss to VCU as a motivational source. That loss struck hard with the players and while it surely has been in the back of their minds all off-season/regular season, those feelings of loss/dissapointment will be revived again now and will motivate this team to redeem themselves.

I expect Duke to come out explosive in this tourney.

RelativeWays
03-16-2008, 11:31 AM
I was referring more to the fact that Singler seems tired and worn out and he is an important component of our offense. Hendo's wrist is definitely causing issues with the offense, and I think the other players, Dmarc in particular are trying to do too much to overcompensate. As a whole, our team was much more worn out last year than this year. Mentally they were already defeated at this point last year as well.

Kewlswim
03-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi,

I don't know how other programs push their kids. I don't know how much school work is a real part of the daily life of student-athletes at other schools. I do know it, for example, is a big deal at Duke. I do know that some kids handle pressure better than others. Maybe this crop does not handle it as well as others? Fatigue can be an issue with this team more than other teams across the nation. Nothing that a little rest and a dinner or two at the Oak Room can't fix. :D

Now injuries to G or Kyle having "exhaustion" is another story. A kid who is really exhausted is not going to feel fit as a fiddle with a week's worth of rest.

GO DUKE

RelativeWays
03-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Two words. Hyperbolic chamber! Michael Jackson is broke, maybe he'll sell his for cheap to Duke.

Mudge
03-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Two words. Hyperbolic chamber! Michael Jackson is broke, maybe he'll sell his for cheap to Duke.

Unless you want our players to start making exaggerated claims of greatness (and I think there's enough of that already coming from other teams' players), you're probably wanting us to get a hyperbaric chamber-- and I'd be shocked if Duke Hospital didn't already have one of those on hand.

DukePA
03-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Unless you want our players to start making exaggerated claims of greatness (and I think there's enough of that already coming from other teams' players), you're probably wanting us to get a hyperbaric chamber-- and I'd be shocked if Duke Hospital didn't already have one of those on hand.

Duke has a fantastic complex of hyperbaric chambers in the the hospital. I can't remember which year it was, but the men's basketball team was headed for the playoffs in Colorado or somewhere with a high altitude, so they worked out (stationary bikes, etc) in the chambers at decreased atmospheric pressure. Can't say that I think hyperbaric workouts are in order for the NCAA's this year though.

throatybeard
03-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Hyperbolic chamber would be a good name for this bulletin board.

CrazyCat
03-16-2008, 03:48 PM
I know Duke hospital has a few of those chambers. I wonder if they would be willing to lend them out? I will besure to ask next time I am there.

RelativeWays
03-16-2008, 04:10 PM
a hyperbolic chamber is great for treating embellishinitus. I really should spellcheck and proof read my post sometimes

xenic
03-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Nothing that a little rest and a dinner or two at the Oak Room can't fix. :D

Too bad the oak room doesn't exist anymore.

Yeah, Duke does have a Hyperbaric chamber... it is one of the reasons DAN is there.

hurleyfor3
03-16-2008, 04:32 PM
What about Tom Chambers? Is he available?

Back to the topic, if we're gonna peak in early February, at least we did it in the Dean Dome.