PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Polls v. 3/16/08

DavidBenAkiva
03-16-2008, 10:09 PM
ESPN/USA Today just released its final rankings, and I thought that it was interesting to look back. Obviously, the committee didn't think that Wisconsin was the #5 team in the nation or that Butler was a top - 10 team, but given how upset we were when Duke lost yesterday, I think some perspective is helping me to get ready for the tourney.

Preseason ESPN/USA Today Poll

1. North Carolina
2. UCLA
3. Memphis
4. Kansas
5. Georgetown
6. Louisville
7. Tennessee
8. Michigan State
9. Indiana
10. Washington State
11. Duke
12. Marquette
13. Oregon
14. Gonzaga
15. Texas A&M
16. Texas
17. Arizona
18. USC
19. Arkansas
20. Pittsburgh
21. Stanford
22. Kentucky
23. Southern Illinois
24. North Carolina State
25. Villanova

3/16/08 ESPN/USA Today Poll

1. North Carolina
2. UCLA
3. Memphis
4. Kansas
5. Wisconsin
6. Tennessee
7. Texas
8. Georgetown
9. Duke
10. Butler
11. Stanford
12. Xavier
13. Louisville
14. Drake
15. Notre Dame
16. Vanderbilt
17. Connecticut
18. Purdue
19. Pittsburgh
20. Michigan State
21. Washington State
22. Clemson
23. Davidson
24. (t) Indiana
24. (t) Marquette

It's amazing to think that 1-4 are the same today as they were in October. I also don't think that this season would be a disaster if we lost in the Sweet 16. I am very happy with how they played througout the season, and am really excited about the future of the team. Mostly, I hope that we get the chance to play in the Elite 8 for a chance to go to the Final 4.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

ice-9
03-16-2008, 11:09 PM
While I was never that down about the season (not being able to watch all of Duke's losses does that :) ), I'm not sure this comparison makes me happier. From #11 to #9 means we performed roughly to pre-season expectations, which is neutral not positive.

pfrduke
03-17-2008, 12:06 AM
While I was never that down about the season (not being able to watch all of Duke's losses does that :) ), I'm not sure this comparison makes me happier. From #11 to #9 means we performed roughly to pre-season expectations, which is neutral not positive.

so does that mean UNC should feel "neutral" about their season thus far, because all they've done is play to the expectation that they'd be the #1-ranked team in the country? Our expectations were high, and we met or exceeded them. That's positive.

ice-9
03-17-2008, 03:56 AM
Well now we're just arguing semantics and perspective. Duke had ample room to move upwards relative to the pre-season (unlike UNC) and we did, which is about the time we all thought Duke was at least Elite 8 worthy and possibly Final 4. Now we're back to roughly where we started in the pre-season...which is at least Sweet 16 worthy and possibly Elite 8. The pre-season/post-season comparison doesn't make me UNHAPPY but it doesn't leave me frothing in the mouth with excitement either. Overall I think "neutral" is an accurate description of how I feel about the comparison. (Note we are not talking about how I feel about the team or the season, which is actually very positive, but about weighing post-season results with pre-season expectations. This team has been fun to watch and follow, though I do hope Singler and Henderson get out of their funks).

As for UNC...you'd have to ask an actual Tar Hole how they feel about ending up #1 in the final coach's poll when they were also #1 in the pre-season. I suspect most of them will say "pretty good" but I bet they expect at least a Final 4 berth to be truly happy with their season.

Cameron
03-17-2008, 08:28 AM
How in the world was Kentucky the 22nd ranked team nationally? My goodness.

Those who voted for that placement need to be released from their positions immediately. (Im obviously kidding, but man oh man, what a miss that was.)