PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing in the Stands

dynastydefender
03-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Would you please explain to me the history behind the "Cameron Crazies" and some of the Gestures that they do during the game (minus the guy in the blue speedos)? I am curious because in my opinion the gesture of everyone bouncing in the stands is purely a Duke fan generated tradition. However when I sit down and watch other conferences (mid majors included) there is always bouncing up in the stands. Although I am obviously not of the same color blue as this message board it rubs me the wrong way to see other schools ripping off Duke. Was the bouncing in the stands come from the Cameron Crazies or did this fan gesture kind of evolve from all around? Thanks for your time.

Lavabe
03-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Would you please explain to me the history behind the "Cameron Crazies" and some of the Gestures that they do during the game (minus the guy in the blue speedos)? I am curious because in my opinion the gesture of everyone bouncing in the stands is purely a Duke fan generated tradition. However when I sit down and watch other conferences (mid majors included) there is always bouncing up in the stands. Although I am obviously not of the same color blue as this message board it rubs me the wrong way to see other schools ripping off Duke. Was the bouncing in the stands come from the Cameron Crazies or did this fan gesture kind of evolve from all around? Thanks for your time.

Oy ... your first request is very broad. A proper response would be lengthy, more befitting of a scribe. I am sure we can find articles and such.

As for imitation of the bouncing routine ... I take imitation to be the sincerest form of flattery. And in this case, if it brings students closer to the action (as opposed to large, impersonal stadia), I'm all in favor of it. I also don't take the bounce to be a SIGNATURE move, tied to the university or mascot. If it were the Kansas "wheat wavin'," or the New Zealand rugby HAKA, then I'd agree with you.

Having said that, I believe we took from NCCU our now traditional cheer for the fifth foul on an opposing player. Or was it Boink-Boink-Pass?:confused:

I'd be more upset if, let's say, we started seeing in stadia around the country rip-offs of Viking, the Scotsman, MulletMan, LederHosenGuy, and the original SpeedoGuy (not Faux Speedo from the other night).

Cheers,
Lavabe

CDu
03-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Oy ... your first request is very broad. A proper response would be lengthy, more befitting of a scribe. I am sure we can find articles and such.

As for imitation of the bouncing routine ... I take imitation to be the sincerest form of flattery. And in this case, if it brings students closer to the action (as opposed to large, impersonal stadia), I'm all in favor of it. I also don't take the bounce to be a SIGNATURE move, tied to the university or mascot. If it were the Kansas "wheat wavin'," or the New Zealand rugby HAKA, then I'd agree with you.

Having said that, I believe we took from NCCU our now traditional cheer for the fifth foul on an opposing player. Or was it Boink-Boink-Pass?:confused:

I'd be more upset if, let's say, we started seeing in stadia around the country rip-offs of Viking, the Scotsman, MulletMan, LederHosenGuy, and the original SpeedoGuy (not Faux Speedo from the other night).

Cheers,
Lavabe

What would be offensive about other people wanting to be just like you? It's a pretty big compliment.

Now, I think the Cameron Crazy thing is a little ridiculous in and of itself, especially knowing who many of these Crazies really are. But that's a different debate, altogether.

SharkD
03-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Don't forget Crazy Towel Guy™.

Lavabe
03-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Don't forget Crazy Towel Guy™.

I saw a Towel Guy in a St. Louis Blues 1980s home game. I think it's morphed into Towel Boy. Technically speaking, the Steel Curtain had the Terrible Towel. I know the NHL Vancouver Canucks have their own Towel Guy. Sorry, but CTG isn't a uniquely Duke thing.

Cheers,
Lavabe