PDA

View Full Version : SEC Tourney

crote
03-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Forgive me if this was talked about elsewhere, but there is some scary/crazy stuff happening at the SEC Tournament in Atlanta. In the middle of the overtime of a quarterfinal game between Alabama and Mississippi State, a thunderstorm or possibly tornado hit the Georgia Dome, ripping a hole in the ceiling, tearing panels off the side, and causing support cables to sway disturbingly. The game was delayed for an hour before the two teams came back on the court to play the final three minutes of overtime.

The nightcap, between Kentucky and Georgia, was postponed until tomorrow.

Word now is that the Georgia Dome is considered unsafe to resume play in, and the only nearby venue available is Georgia Tech's court, where games will be held tomorrow. Only problem is that GaTech's place only has 1/4 of the seats of the Georgia Dome. Kentucky's fan contingent alone is more than double the arena's capacity.

Oh, and there's also the little matter of the Georgia/Kentucky winner having to play a double header game later in the day.

Kentucky fans are predictably irate, not without cause but I'm not sure who they can reasonably be mad at. No doubt they'll pick a target.

Here's (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/TheSportingBlog) a report with pictures filed by a Sporting News blogger in Atlanta.

Wild and crazy stuff.

Lavabe
03-15-2008, 05:18 AM
Forgive me if this was talked about elsewhere, but there is some scary/crazy stuff happening at the SEC Tournament in Atlanta. In the middle of the overtime of a quarterfinal game between Alabama and Mississippi State, a thunderstorm or possibly tornado hit the Georgia Dome, ripping a hole in the ceiling, tearing panels off the side, and causing support cables to sway disturbingly. The game was delayed for an hour before the two teams came back on the court to play the final three minutes of overtime.

The nightcap, between Kentucky and Georgia, was postponed until tomorrow.

Word now is that the Georgia Dome is considered unsafe to resume play in, and the only nearby venue available is Georgia Tech's court, where games will be held tomorrow. Only problem is that GaTech's place only has 1/4 of the seats of the Georgia Dome. Kentucky's fan contingent alone is more than double the arena's capacity.

Oh, and there's also the little matter of the Georgia/Kentucky winner having to play a double header game later in the day.

Kentucky fans are predictably irate, not without cause but I'm not sure who they can reasonably be mad at. No doubt they'll pick a target.

Here's (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/TheSportingBlog) a report with pictures filed by a Sporting News blogger in Atlanta.

Wild and crazy stuff.

The scenes are pretty wild downtown. TV reports confirmed that windows were popping everywhere, including CNN, Centennial Park, etc... Local TV crews are showing metal debris, windows, and stuff that was sucked out of hotels/offices. One set of converted lofts collapsed. Lots of cleanup going on.

I hope EJam, Jason, Karl, Wilson, and the rest of the Atl DBR Mafia are doing alright. Jason: how's your office?

The good news is that the heavy rain that preceded the tornado (that's what most folks are calling it) drove everyone indoors, which probably reduced the potential for injury. So far, NO ONE is reported killed.

Bad News: there's a NASTY line of storms headed for the Atlanta metro area in the next couple of hours.

Oh yeah: Next year's ACC tourney is scheduled to be here in Atlanta.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe
03-15-2008, 07:08 AM
Here's the CNN link (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/14/storm.atlanta/index.html)to the Atlanta tornado damage.

Hopefully, no one was killed. The loft collapse is still being worked on.

Lavabe

dynastydefender
03-15-2008, 09:25 AM
I would have been running like a wild chicken trying to get out of there!!

I'm very glad everyone made it out safely however I really think Alabama lost their momentum because of it. I was kind of Bummed because I would like to see Alabama go deep!!

devildeac
03-15-2008, 11:27 AM

Wild and crazy stuff.

Their target-Duke(and Laettner, of course) 'cuz we get all the calls:o

camion
03-15-2008, 11:38 AM
From the link

http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20080314/87606.jpg
A flooded staircase at the GWCC.

throatybeard
03-15-2008, 11:41 AM
North Georgia gets tornadoes every single March...I've wondered for years if Atlanta's a good place to have March events. More is coming today.

I was at the symphony, discreetly loading MSU-Bama updates on my cellphone under my program. I couldn't understand what on earth could have happened that the game was "delayed." I was afraid a bomb.

Lavabe
03-15-2008, 12:10 PM
North Georgia gets tornadoes every single March...I've wondered for years if Atlanta's a good place to have March events. More is coming today.

I was at the symphony, discreetly loading MSU-Bama updates on my cellphone under my program. I couldn't understand what on earth could have happened that the game was "delayed." I was afraid a bomb.

Yeah, I'm not going to be online for the next two hours. We're in a watchbox area, and it's not looking good out there.

Cheers,
Lavabe

pamtar
03-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Just heard on ESPN that only teams, family members, and people with credentials will be allowed into the games today. So, if your a fan you just spent around $1500 dollars for nothing (hotel, tickets, etc...)!

jimsumner
03-15-2008, 12:54 PM
"Kentucky fans are predictably irate, not without cause but I'm not sure who they can reasonably be mad at. No doubt they'll pick a target."

This would never have happened if Tubby hadn't allowed recruiting to slip.

Lavabe
03-15-2008, 02:11 PM

To be honest, this is the first tornado to hit Atlanta CITY in quite some time. As Atlanta has spread out further, the probability that someone will be affected by a tornado has shot up. The Dunwoody tornadoes hit some 10 years ago in April. Historically (http://www.tornadoproject.com/alltorns/gatorn.htm#C), from 1953 - 1995, Cobb hasn't received tornadoes every March; April is somewhat higher. The deadliest day of tornadoes to hit Cobb has been in ... NOVEMBER!! There was a stretch, back in 70's, when tornadoes struck Atlanta in March.

St. Louis lies in a tornado alley, and I can recall one tornado hitting within a couple of miles of us in the county (when we lived there). IIRC, Nashville had a few of them as well a in the last 10 years.

This middle round of storms today brought tornadoes north of us, doing "LOTS" of damage to Cartersville, Polk, and Bartow counties. So far, reports are of two-four deaths from today's storms.

Damage to the Georgia World Congress Ctr is estimated at $100 million. Several of the torches at Centennial Olympic Park have been toppled. Rooftop damage to CNN Bldg/Omni. Cabbagetown damage too.

The only good news is that our water supply is rising in Lake Alatoona and Lake Lanier.

Cheers,
Lavabe

CrazyCat
03-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Any of y'all in the line of the storms, please stay safe. After looking at the pictures, thank god no one of killed. I know we love our basketball, but man lives are much more important. I am not sure why any fan would be ticked because their aren't enough seats. That is just to shallow for words.

crote
03-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Well, Kentucky won't have to worry about that doubleheader. Cats lose to the lowly Georgia Bulldogs.

Fans on the Kentucky board are discussing how this will affect their tourney seeding.

Oh, Kentucky.

blazindw
03-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Well, Kentucky won't have to worry about that doubleheader. Cats lose to the lowly Georgia Bulldogs.

Fans on the Kentucky board are discussing how this will affect their tourney seeding.

Oh, Kentucky.

Did anyone see the ending? With a Georgia player on the free throw line shooting the 2nd of 2 free throws to attempt to put them up 3, a Kentucky player, thinking he had a lane violation, swatted the free throw. So, he received a technical, and Georgia got 2 more free throws to ice the game (made 1/2).

I've never seen anyone swat a free throw like that...probably one of the more boneheaded plays I've seen. It's possible that game may have cost them a tourney bid.

devildeac
03-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Did anyone see the ending? With a Georgia player on the free throw line shooting the 2nd of 2 free throws to attempt to put them up 3, a Kentucky player, thinking he had a lane violation, swatted the free throw. So, he received a technical, and Georgia got 2 more free throws to ice the game (made 1/2).

I've never seen anyone swat a free throw like that...probably one of the more boneheaded plays I've seen. It's possible that game may have cost them a tourney bid.

Don't we hope so...(just trying for a little schadenfreude on an otherwise crappy day:( )

ArkieDukie
03-15-2008, 09:03 PM
What a game! Stephen Hill is probably the last person I would've chosen to take the game-winning shot (his only 2 pts of the game), but the shot went in. I like their chances in the SEC championship game.

Did this hurt Tennessee's shot at a one seed?

sandinmyshoes
03-15-2008, 09:04 PM
This probably gives UNC the #1 seed in the East even if they lose to Clemson. This has not been a good day.

dukie8
03-15-2008, 09:14 PM
i think we now have 5 1 seeds -- unc, ucla, memphis, tennessee and the winner of kansas/texas. whichever 2 get paired with each other are going to be ripped. ucla and memphis won't be the 4th 1. here's to hoping that unc loses tomorrow and drops to the dreaded 4th 1 and gets paired with the big 12 winner.

BCGroup
03-15-2008, 09:18 PM
I think they definitely lose Charlotte. Lots at stake tomorrow--I think late losses in your conference tournament do hurt you if the other top prospects win.

hondoheel
03-15-2008, 09:35 PM
i think we now have 5 1 seeds -- unc, ucla, memphis, tennessee and the winner of kansas/texas. whichever 2 get paired with each other are going to be ripped. ucla and memphis won't be the 4th 1. here's to hoping that unc loses tomorrow and drops to the dreaded 4th 1 and gets paired with the big 12 winner.

I think under your scenario the Big 12 winner would be a 1 seed over Tennessee.

DukeDevilDeb
03-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Did anyone happen to notice that Tennessee lost today as well? Arkansas beat them by 1 point (92-91). Another possible one seed shot down?

I suspect that Volunteers are not very happy about losing their tourney.... but that, and the game VTech played today, suggest that no one is invincible (not even Carolina).

dukie8
03-15-2008, 10:02 PM
I think under your scenario the Big 12 winner would be a 1 seed over Tennessee.

i'm thinking you are right. i was hoping for the 2 with tennessee. i think that we are getting the 2 with ucla.

CDu
03-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Tennessee has built up enough cache that they're either the last #1 seed or the top #2 seed. They're fine. Their profile looks a lot better than ours (better RPI, nearly twice as many top-50 wins, fewer "bad" losses, better record in the last 10, etc).

We are either one of the last two #2 seeds or the top #3 seed. We needed to win the ACC tournament to have a look at a #1 seed, and even then we'd need some help.

Honestly, I feel the same as I felt back in December. I think one of Kansas, UCLA, and UNC will win the title. Those are the teams with the most balance and the most talent.

ugadevil
03-15-2008, 10:45 PM
In response to the Arkansas thread, HOW ABOUT THEM DAWGS! Georgia has struggled this season, to say the least. They've had trouble with off-court problems, guys quitting the team, and people calling for the coach to be fired...but the past 3 days have been fun for UGA fans! Beat Kentucky and the SEC West champ in the same day? Can't beat that. Dave Bliss for President!!

dukie8
03-15-2008, 10:49 PM
what's the ncaa record for most wins in 48 hours? how could they have only won 4 games all year in the sec???

crote
03-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Stephen Hill is probably the last person I would've chosen to take the game-winning shot

My thoughts exactly. I didn't get to watch the game, but heard the final score on the radio. When I heard Hill was the one to hit the game winner I nearly drove off the road.

Captain Caveman comes through in the clutch.

Channing
03-16-2008, 12:22 AM
while I am still despondent about Duke's game - this does provide a little bit of joy for me.

Would love to see the Dawgs get in . . .

. . . if they win tomorrow - is there any chance that they are one of the teams in the play in game?

crote
03-16-2008, 02:05 AM
Dave Bliss for President!!

Bliss is, without a doubt, my least favorite player in the SEC. I hate that dude. Like Deron Washington-Lite.

Lavabe
03-16-2008, 07:13 AM
The Atlanta sports talk on Friday morning had Felton out of a job by Saturday. Wasn't it a week ago when Felton was comparing his team with that of Baylor, St. John's, and St. Boneventure?

UGA's had an amazing turnaround for sure, but it's kind of uneasy to see a team perhaps make it into the NCAA's with such a low W-L record. Nonetheless, I'll pull for Felton. I'd hate to see him lose his job.

Cheers,
Lavabe

ArkieDukie
03-16-2008, 09:33 AM
My thoughts exactly. I didn't get to watch the game, but heard the final score on the radio. When I heard Hill was the one to hit the game winner I nearly drove off the road.

Captain Caveman comes through in the clutch.

BWHAHAHA! ROTFL! Captain Caveman! That's perfect!

As he was taking the shot, I was thinking, "NOOOOOO!" Dude is great on defense, but his picture is in the dictionary under the phrase "offensive liability." If he only would've mastered the hook shot - or heck, the dunk - the Hogs would be hard to beat. At least Charles Thomas and Darian Townes have been playing well. Townes actually passed out of a double team to Ervin for an open 3, which he then hit. That fact, along with Hill hitting the game-winner, makes me think that the apocalypse is coming.

JasonEvans
03-16-2008, 09:56 AM
. . . if they win tomorrow - is there any chance that they are one of the teams in the play in game?

No chance at all. Not even a tiny chance.

If UGA wins the SEC and gets in, I predict they will be a #13 or #14 seed. Hey, maybe they will be a #14 and we will be a #3 and we can play them!

--Jason "this UGA team is just not very good" Evans

dukie8
03-16-2008, 11:34 AM

If UGA wins the SEC and gets in, I predict they will be a #13 or #14 seed. Hey, maybe they will be a #14 and we will be a #3 and we can play them!

today they are 108 in the rpi. winthrop is 107 and lunardi has them at a 14 seed. if georgia wins, it will go up in the rpi but not that much. american is 91 and san diego is 94. lunardi has san diego at 14 and american at 16 so i think it would be hard for them to move up to a 13 if they win. 14 sounds about right and whichever 3 were to get them would not be too happy. they do, however, have to win today before any of this matters. isn't fatigue going to catch up with them at some point???

Channing
03-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Off to a strong start!!!! Did I hear the announcers say they have lost 121 out of their last 133 conference games?

ugadevil
03-16-2008, 04:00 PM
My UGA thread would get moved to an SEC tourney thread. I should start another one anyway!

This championship game....are you serious!?!?!?!? Are you kidding me?!?!?!? Georgia is threatening to run Arkansas out of the gym. Up 26-9! AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

ugadevil
03-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Under 8 minutes to go and the Dawgs are still up 11! If they can somehow miraculously pull this off, who's tourney spot would they steal?

hurleyfor3
03-16-2008, 05:14 PM

Arkansas had a run very similar to this in 2000, starting with a similar record. They got a 12 seed.

pfrduke
03-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Hello, Georgia (and likely goodbye, Virginia Tech - they needed as many available spots as possible).

AluminumDuke
03-16-2008, 05:38 PM
I just tuned in to ESPN2 on DirecTV to watch the last minute of the SEC Championship game and the program guide at the top of the screen read "Incredible Dog Challenge." At first I thought that DirecTV was hyping the game for Georgia fans with their program info, but then I realized the game had run over into the dog show that follows.

ugadevil
03-16-2008, 05:39 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

CLEAR THE DANCE FLOOR BABY! THE DAWGS ARE GOING DANCING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE STORY OF THE WEEK...THE GEORGIA BULLDOGS!

ps. We were the best football team in the conference too:D

Lavabe
03-16-2008, 05:41 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

CLEAR THE DANCE FLOOR BABY! THE DAWGS ARE GOING DANCING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE STORY OF THE WEEK...THE GEORGIA BULLDOGS!

ps. We were the best football team in the conference too:D

There's a lot of crow being eaten on Atlanta sports radio right now. I guess Felton has a job for next year, eh?

CONGRATS!

Lavabe

DukieInKansas
03-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Congratulations, Dawgs!

dynastydefender
03-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Their target-Duke(and Laettner, of course) 'cuz we get all the calls:o

I got some serious closure on that!! Why did you have to bring that up!!! :)