PDA

View Full Version : Duke MBB vs. Clemson Pre-Game and In-Game thread

-jk
03-14-2008, 11:39 PM
I guess BC spent everything on MD. Or MD was really bad.

-jk

pfrduke
03-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Clemson looked really good. Of course, it's easy to do so when your opponent essentially rolls over. As long as we allow fewer uncontested dunks than BC did, we should be ok.

wisteria
03-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Is it possible for Zoubek to improve on FT shooting overnight?

I think Markie and Gerald has really improved FTs. It's time for Zoubek to catch up.

Edit: Just checked the box score. Neither of them did well on the charity strip. so, I guess, they should all work on it. yikes.

gofurman
03-15-2008, 01:05 AM

-jk

OR Clemson is pretty good? Got to give credit where credit is due. THese guys should have one on Carolina (if not two)

SeattleIrish
03-15-2008, 02:53 AM
Things got tight tonight, but that was a very nice win against GT.

Can someone please post the time/station for the Clemson game?

thanks!

s.i.

dukemomLA
03-15-2008, 03:28 AM
ESPN - 1:00/1:30 PST. 4-4:30 EST. The UNC game is first -- 1 EST.

SeattleIrish
03-15-2008, 03:55 AM
Thanks!

s.i.

Bob Green
03-15-2008, 05:27 AM
This is going to be a tough game. Clemson is a strong interior team that dominated the glass in our regular season game. They also have good guards. To counter Clemson's strength, we will need to pressure the ball and deny the entry pass.

On offense, we must value the ball and knock down 3-pointers. I expect our small line-up will play major minutes as Clemson's bigs are too athletic for Zoubek. However, Z is going to have to give us quality minutes when he is on the court. The same goes for Thomas. Lance looked strong with the ball today and we are going to need him to score, rebound and defend against Booker and Mays.

Duke prevails 88-85.

heyman25
03-15-2008, 07:36 AM
I think its 12:30pm Pacific Coast time I guess I will find out in less than 8 hours.

dukelifer
03-15-2008, 07:45 AM
This is going to be a tough game. Clemson is a strong interior team that dominated the glass in our regular season game. They also have good guards. To counter Clemson's strength, we will need to pressure the ball and deny the entry pass.

On offense, we must value the ball and knock down 3-pointers. I expect our small line-up will play major minutes as Clemson's bigs are too athletic for Zoubek. However, Z is going to have to give us quality minutes when he is on the court. The same goes for Thomas. Lance looked strong with the ball today and we are going to need him to score, rebound and defend against Booker and Mays.

Duke prevails 88-85.
Clemson is a difficult matchup for Duke. Duke will need to keep it close throughout. Clemson is not great in close games because of their foul shooting. But that said. Clemson may be on a bit of a mission this week. They will try to knock Duke out early, but that could tire them out as well. I would not be surprised with a half time deficit. Duke needs to really value the ball and attack with passing. Should be the best game of the afternoon.

4decadedukie
03-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Just to ensure we all have the right time, my BlackBerry ESPN page indicates Duke - Clemson starts at 3:300 EDT.

jjasper0729
03-15-2008, 09:05 AM
it's 30 minutes after the first game which is scheduled to start at 1:30 eastern. I have the second game scheduled for 4:00 eastern. But it will be 4 or 30 minutes after the first, whichever is later.

Jumbo
03-15-2008, 10:31 AM

Duke prevails 88-85.

I agree with almost everything you said. This is a scary game. Yes, we beat Clemson 93-80 in Cameron, but Clemson is playing very well now and is a tough matchup. The Tigers are deep, balanced and athletic. They were only 10-23 from the foul line in that first matchup, which explains some of the final margin.

I also agree that this is a very tough game for Zoubek. He might be able to deal with Booker, but Mays and Sykes will give him tons of trouble with their quickness. I'm really looking for Dave McClure to show the same stuff he delivered against Georgia Tech. That looked like the McClure we knew and loved last year. Then we just need to take care of the ball (turnovers will be critical) and clamp down on Clemson's perimeter shooters (the Tigers will score, but we can't let guys like Oglesby and Rivers go off from deep). Tough task. Go Duke!

ArtVandelay
03-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Agreed that "Hi, I'm" Dave McClure looked good last night rebounding the ball and playing D. I think he might possibly be our best rebounder (save D-Marc) in terms of ability, if not production. He boxes out extremely well, seems to have a nose for the ball, and gets off the floor surprisingly well. If he was a little bigger (taller, wider, or both), I think we would be a real rebounding force.

Taylor King also seemed to play well last night, showing a lot more tenacity on the defensive end with that nice block. Also nice to see him hit a 3 after a head fake, not just standing still. Will be interesting to see how much run these two guys get today after playing well yesterday. Sadly, I think Taylor has a tough matchup with Clemson's athletic frontcourt, so I'd be surprised to see him much.

The defensive assignments in the frontcourt are going to tough no matter how you slice it. The upside of Kyle's foul trouble last night is that hopefully he'll be fresher for today. He's going to have to really bang with Booker today, as I think Zoubek is way too slow to defend him. Anyone think we will try our halfcourt trap again like we did in Cameron in order to harass their ballhandlers and prevent them from getting the ball inside to Booker and Mays?

Chard
03-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Here is the official ACC tournament schedule (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/acc-mtournament-central-2008.html#sched)from the ACC web site.

***The second game of a doubleheader will begin approximately 20 minutes after the conclusion of the first game, but no earlier than the scheduled starting time.

Classof06
03-15-2008, 11:47 AM
This is going to be a great game and, like Georgia Tech but much more so, this is a great test for Duke to get ready for the tournament. If you're an elite team in America, you don't want to have to play Clemson before the Sweet 16; this is a very good team, IMO. One of the blessings in our regular season schedule was that we didn't have to travel to Littlejohn to play; that would've been one of Duke's toughest games all year, no doubt about it.

We're the better team but an upset this afternoon is more than feasible and I think Duke knows that. Playing in Charlotte Coliseum isn't like playing in Cameron and we barely squeaked out a win in CIS.

Even if Duke doesn't win the ACC tourney, the road we have to take to win this thing affords Duke the opportunity to play teams that will give us games with an NCAA tournament feel. I think this will help Duke next week and beyond.

ArtVandelay
03-15-2008, 11:55 AM
We're the better team but an upset this afternoon is more than feasible and I think Duke knows that. Playing in Charlotte Coliseum isn't like playing in Cameron and we barely squeaked out a win in CIS.

Barely squeaked out a win? We were up 10ish for a while in the first half, and then after Clemson made a run, went up by about 15 and maintained about that cushion the rest of the way. The outcome was never in doubt. I would hardly call that squeaking out a win. In fact, I would say it was one of our better wins of the season.

mr. synellinden
03-15-2008, 12:02 PM
I know there has been some speculation on this board that McClure has not fully recovered from his knee injury or that it was aggravated during the season, but i also noticed last night that he had more "bounce". I hate to use that Bilasism but it's appopriate. He seemed more athletic, quick to rebounds and loose balls and more fluid on the court. What an added bonus it would be to have the Full McClure (no relation to the Full Monty) for the next 8 games.

-- 1 Down 8 to Go

imagepro
03-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Two weeks ago I told TrinityDevil I thought Clemson would win the ACC Tournament. They only need that C word. Confidence. In the games they have lost this season, they finished tentatively. If they can suddenly get confident, watch out for this team. They have size, quickness, depth and desire. I still say they win today and beat UNC tomorrow.

If this happens, they may play til the final weekend... Don't laugh!

Troublemaker
03-15-2008, 01:17 PM
This will be a good test for our ball-handling. When we lost to Wake and Miami back-to-back, the biggest failure was our turnovers, imo. We've since handled the ball pretty cleanly but I'm interested to see if we revert back against Clemson's pressure.

sandinmyshoes
03-15-2008, 01:32 PM
I know it sounds so trite, but really, it's just about hitting shots. If we lose focus for the length of time we did against GT, Clemson will roll over us. But if we have a good shooting game and don't wander mentally, we can take advantage of a stretch of the game where Clemson's offense sputters, and it usually does a couple of times a game.

dukestheheat
03-15-2008, 02:18 PM

-jk

Ok, this will be a true challenge for Duke. We are going to have to keep our bigs out of foul trouble and we are going to have to hit our 3 balls today. If we're shooting well, I don't worry about any type of paint disadvantage.

LET'S GO DUKE!

dth.

devildeac
03-15-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm gonna go with our mod from the Far East on this one as he nailed the Duke-gt margin. What say you, Mr. Green, thou great prognosticator from another time zone far, far away?

CrazyCat
03-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Ok, this will be a true challenge for Duke. We are going to have to keep our bigs out of foul trouble and we are going to have to hit our 3 balls today. If we're shooting well, I don't worry about any type of paint disadvantage.

LET'S GO DUKE!

dth.

I could not agree with you more. We have to stay out of foul trouble. Our guys have to shoot well today and get those 3 pointers in the net. If last nights game was any indication then I think we will do OK, but they are going to have to shoot as well, if not better to stay ahead.

Classof06
03-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Barely squeaked out a win? We were up 10ish for a while in the first half, and then after Clemson made a run, went up by about 15 and maintained about that cushion the rest of the way. The outcome was never in doubt. I would hardly call that squeaking out a win. In fact, I would say it was one of our better wins of the season.

You're right, I didn't realize we won by 13. But the game seemed a lot closer than the score might indicate. I remember that game being a close one.

Uncle Drew
03-15-2008, 03:50 PM
While I of course will be pulling hard as always when Duke plays Clemson in a few minutes. After watching UNC pi54 out their 1000th carrer squeeker against VT (all VT had to do was grab a lousy rebound and the game goes OT!) I have to say Clemson probably will be playing as hard as we have ever seen them today. UNC was lucky as (insert your own curse word) to beat the tigers not just once but twice. I have a feeling Clemson wants UNC one more time, and in both previous games Clemson gave the heels all they wanted and more. And IMO should have won.

My hope is whomever wins between Duke and Clemson they get their rest and are primed for the heels tomorrow. Go Duke, Go To Hell Carolina. But if Duke can't do it today go tigers. They probably match up better against UNC than Duke does. Besides they have never won an ACC tourney.

_Gary
03-15-2008, 04:36 PM
I can't remember seeing Duke have this much trouble with a press all year. In fact I can't remember them having this much trouble with a press in many, many years.

Travi_K
03-15-2008, 04:40 PM
I completely understand CBS having to show, Tornado Warnings and go on and on about Pressure and Super Cells and other things the average person doesn't understand. However, do we not have the technology to at least show a little tiny box in the bottom of the screen. Maybe it is ilegal for them to do this, I just know I am frustrated. I want people to be save but the weather has now been on for 35 mins since tip off.

jsimmons
03-15-2008, 04:44 PM
why does greg paulus when trying to break a press go to the corner everytime and pick up his dribble? is there not anyone on our team, our coaching staff, or at Duke University who could tell him that fundemental basketball includes not making this same mistake....constantly!!!!!! How can we be in March and Paulus be a junior and not know this?

secondly singler throw the ball to people with our color jerseys on, thank you.

pugtugdoz
03-15-2008, 04:45 PM
It's nice to hear/see the same thing 15/20 times. I know it's important to be informed but they didn't have any new info. I thought it was funny when they said to stop calling the station about wanting to watch the game. Its tough coming into the game with 4 mins left. Let's go Devils!

feldspar
03-15-2008, 04:54 PM
why does greg paulus when trying to break a press go to the corner everytime and pick up his dribble? is there not anyone on our team, our coaching staff, or at Duke University who could tell him that fundemental basketball includes not making this same mistake....constantly!!!!!! How can we be in March and Paulus be a junior and not know this?

secondly singler throw the ball to people with our color jerseys on, thank you.

Interesting that you're criticizing Greg since, if it weren't for him, we'd be down 10 right now...

Bob Green
03-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Zoubek has played a solid first half with 4 points and 4 rebounds. On defense he has altered some shots.

Paulus is carrying us as far as scoring goes.

Bob Green
03-15-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm gonna go with our mod from the Far East on this one as he nailed the Duke-gt margin. What say you, Mr. Green, thou great prognosticator from another time zone far, far away?

On a different site, I predicted a 3 point Duke victory.

Edit: actually, I predicted it on DBR. See Post #8 in this thread.

OZ
03-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Other than Paulus, the remaining four starters are 3-11, with 6 points. They are going to have to step it up or go home.

Brian12215
03-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Interesting that you're criticizing Greg since, if it weren't for him, we'd be down 10 right now...

QFFT

Saratoga2
03-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Nothing from Singler and Henderson and Nelson has almost nothing with turnovers. All are missing open shots. We are jacking up quick shots and are having some difficulty with the ball traps. Zoubek is playing much better in the post than the others.

We need to work for shots and then the guys have to make them. Paulus has been big and Scheyer has played well with 5 points and he has made a number of excellent passes. Some were definitely assists. He is diving on the floor and laying all out.

Our defense with Singler and Thomas inside hasn't worked out. They aren't stong enough to contain their man inside so the double team has left a Clemson man wide open. Zoubek seems more able to handle the inside one on one and we haven't looked as weak.

_Gary
03-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Seems like a lot of Kyle's threes are coming up short. Surely he's not tired after not playing much last night. I'm not sure what the problem is, but seems like many of the guys outside shots are short more so than off to the left or right. Scheyer and Nelson's threes are coming up short too. I just don't understand this.

And we are still struggling mightily with the press early in the second half.

OZ
03-15-2008, 05:27 PM
It's nice to hear/see the same thing 15/20 times. I know it's important to be informed but they didn't have any new info. I thought it was funny when they said to stop calling the station about wanting to watch the game. Its tough coming into the game with 4 mins left. Let's go Devils!

Interesting concern for our safety... While the same storm, with tornado warnings in Union county, went through the area, the UNC game was never interrupted except for the crawler. Clemson and Duke came on and we were bombarded with the same information over and over. Surely, they could have shifted the game to a sister station or split the screen, i.e. PIP.

watzone
03-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Who is the ding dong stumbling on every word? Geesh, he keeps repeating himself. I am on radio now. Ridiculous WRAL!

jjasper0729
03-15-2008, 05:34 PM
wral finally doubled up on the digital channels so the game is uninterrupted while the weather guy rambles on trying to show different views that he can't seem to pull up

dad3mass
03-15-2008, 05:35 PM
It's on channel 256 for those of you in the Triangle with Time Warner Cable.

watzone
03-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Charter digital doesn't carry the other channel - BS!

Coballs
03-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Every time we've doubled the post, Clemson has kicked out and made open 3s.

dukestheheat
03-15-2008, 05:46 PM
i can't see the score or hear anything on the television (weather reports); what is the score and how much time?

dth.

crote
03-15-2008, 05:46 PM
If you've got access to ESPN360.com, you can watch the game on about a 5 minute delay.

_Gary
03-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Clemson 64, Duke 58 with 4:29 to go. Clemson playing with a ton of confidence and the Duke 3's are not falling at all. Even good looks aren't going down from beyond the arc. This isn't looking good at all.

And now, to top it off, Henderson has just re-injured the wrist and is in a lot of pain.

_Gary
03-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Ok, there's still a little over 3 minutes to play, but I'm about ready to call it. Clemson has just hit a ton of three's all day and just hit another with a defender right in their face to extend the lead to 7. I don't see us winning this thing unless Clemson totally melts down.

watzone
Clemson 64, Duke 58 with 4:29 to go. Clemson playing with a ton of confidence and the Duke 3's are not falling at all. Even good looks aren't going down from beyond the arc. This isn't looking good at all.

And now, to top it off, Henderson has just re-injured the wrist and is in a lot of pain.

It was his knee and you can pull the butter out for the toast.

CatfiveCane
Duke just doesn't look good going down the stretch. Singler, Nelson, and Henderson seems to be going through the motions. Big Z looked good though.

Hopefully, they can regroup for the NCAA tournament.

soccerstud2210
03-15-2008, 05:54 PM
worst we have played prob all year... we deserve to loose this one... bad game, bad performance, bad effort....

watzone
03-15-2008, 05:57 PM
worst we have played prob all year... we deserve to loose this one... bad game, bad performance, bad effort....

Don't mind if we loose as long as we don't lose!:)

CatfiveCane
03-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Nelson seems to have picked up his game.

Paulus and Scheyer have both played tough.

_Gary
03-15-2008, 05:58 PM
It was his knee and you can pull the butter out for the toast.

Ok, I thought he was on his knees but holding his wrist. Not good either way you look at it.

On the plus side, Clemson is letting us back in. Down to 3 with 2 minutes to go. Some nice missed foul shots when the lead could have grown to 9 have helped.

_Gary
03-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Singler still coming up short on his three tries (it's been real obvious today), but we get an offensive board and cut it to 3 again with 1:28 to go.

watzone
03-15-2008, 06:01 PM
4 of 22 from three. Clemson has the jump ball their way. One t.o. left too.

soccerstud2210
03-15-2008, 06:05 PM
game over folks...

watzone
03-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Kyle 1 for 9 - 2 points! Ouch! Seeding time!

YmoBeThere
03-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Lowest 2 or highest 3

soccerstud2210
03-15-2008, 06:08 PM
20 % from three point land...

freedevil
03-15-2008, 06:08 PM
we deserve a 3. 4 losses down the stretch.

Coballs
03-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Disappointing but not surprising. Can't win when you can't hit a 3, and Henderson/Singler/Thomas provide zero. Duke was completely outplayed and Clemson clearly wanted it more. It was obvious we were in big trouble when the Tigers were making all their FTs.

YmoBeThere
03-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Except for couple drives from Nelson, we don't create enough going to the hoop with Henderson hurting.