PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Bracket Challenge

wolfpackdevil
03-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Is there gonna be a DBR group for the ESPN Tourney Bracket challenge??

feldspar
03-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Go here (http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/group?groupID=17593)

Group: DBR March Madness Challenge
Password: duke919201

Mods, maybe a pin on this one until next week?

wolfpackdevil
03-15-2008, 12:01 AM
Go here (http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/group?groupID=17593)

Group: DBR March Madness Challenge
Password: duke919201

Mods, maybe a pin on this one until next week?

Thanks man, only 3 people signed up, we need some more entries

Pam
03-15-2008, 12:39 AM
I think we need a great group image. Any ideas?

DevilAlumna
03-15-2008, 01:30 AM
I'm in! (And bouncing bttt.)

JasonEvans
03-15-2008, 01:50 PM
I am pinning this bad boy to the top. I bet we get a nice flood of entries after the brackets go up tonight.

--Jason "would anyone dare not pick Duke to win in this pool?!?!" Evans

feldspar
03-15-2008, 03:16 PM
I am pinning this bad boy to the top. I bet we get a nice flood of entries after the brackets go up tonight.

Thanks, Jason.

fisheyes
03-16-2008, 10:10 PM
FYI...since the DBR group is a "locked group" you will not be able to join other locked groups on the ESPN website. If you want to join the DBR group, you will have to leave the other groups.

feldspar
03-16-2008, 10:43 PM
BTW, I think it's only fair that, since we're not playing for money, only pride, we be limited to one bracket per person.

Does that sound fair? We've got a couple people with two brackets already.

Acymetric
03-16-2008, 10:54 PM
FYI...since the DBR group is a "locked group" you will not be able to join other locked groups on the ESPN website. If you want to join the DBR group, you will have to leave the other groups.

Wow, really? Is that intentional on their part, or some weird system glitch that nobody has fixed?

feldspar
03-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Wow, really? Is that intentional on their part, or some weird system glitch that nobody has fixed?

The "locked group" function, from what I understand, is to prevent someone who has multiple brackets from switching out their bracket that is doing poorly for another one that is doing well mid-tournament.

JasonEvans
03-17-2008, 09:46 AM
BTW, I think it's only fair that, since we're not playing for money, only pride, we be limited to one bracket per person.

I HATE people who fill out multiple brackets in the same pool. No way anyone should be allowed to have multiple sets of picks and then crow about how they are winning. No no no no!!!

--Jason "just my opinion" Evans

fisheyes
03-17-2008, 11:22 AM
There actually is a way to have a bracket in multiple groups. If you create another bracket after joining the DBR group it will automatically be enterred into the DBR group thereby appearing as a multiple entry. If you click on that bracket and then "leave the group", you can assign it to another group without loosing your original entry into the DBR group.

EarlJam
03-17-2008, 11:25 AM
EarlJam is in. No real need for anyone else to turn in a bracket. You are simply wasting your time.

Look for Louisville to make a serious run, taking out the Vols.

-EarlJam

DukeDevil
03-17-2008, 01:57 PM
You're going down Earlcan'tpickabrackettosavehislifejam. You're going down.

BlueBlood112883
03-17-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm in.

Truth
03-17-2008, 09:55 PM
What free site do you all recommend for someone looking to run an online office bracket contest?

mattk11
03-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Hey all -

I'm a Fuqua grad from 2005. If you are looking for help filling out your brackets (you know to figure out who Duke is meeting in Finals) thought you might be interested in checking out a site a couple friends and I have started. It's called BracketBrains (www.bracketbrains.com) and in my humble opinion has some of the best tools on the web for analyzing the bracket.

Certainly would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Happy bracketing!
-Matt

gw67
03-18-2008, 07:44 AM
I'm having some trouble. I joined and am listed but I am not permitted to fill out a bracket. When I click on My Bracket the site informs me that "there has been an error processing your request".

Any ideas in what doing wrong?

gw67

DukeDevil
03-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Apparently, after Earljam filled out a bracket...the software just said "why even let other people waste their time?"

dynastydefender
03-18-2008, 10:06 AM

I think I would.

Bluedawg
03-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I am really[!] bad at brackets, but let's go anyway

Gooch
03-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Count me in...

I like to pick one bracket on gut feel (this one) and then pick one by really thinking about it. Neither usually do very well but inevitably my gut wins. I picked this bracket in less than 5 minutes.

So this year gut feel says.........Duke-Kansas in the final. Well, then of course I have to go with a score of 72-65. Duke Kicks Kans-as!!!

johnb
03-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Though it'll be obvious once the games start, at least one of us unwittingly signed up for 2 entries by hitting the copy function after his first effort seemed to have been deleted. And now he sees no way for the 2nd entry to be deleted....

ohioguy2
03-18-2008, 03:58 PM
The "locked group" function, from what I understand, is to prevent someone who has multiple brackets from switching out their bracket that is doing poorly for another one that is doing well mid-tournament.

Do not understand the "locked thing"--I have a bracket in another group--apparently that one is not locked?? Locked/private--not the same thing? I need to take some time when I can actually look at the rules. Will not be today. BTW--I am skin66 on this thing, because that is my ESPN name.

fisheyes
03-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Though it'll be obvious once the games start, at least one of us unwittingly signed up for 2 entries by hitting the copy function after his first effort seemed to have been deleted. And now he sees no way for the 2nd entry to be deleted....

I had the same problem. Here's what worked for me:

Click on the duplicate entry on the DBR page. Then click "edit entry setting". Then click "my groups" and select DBR. Then select "leave this group". This will delete only the duplicate entry.

brevity
03-18-2008, 07:05 PM

I have two brackets in the group for what I think is a good reason.

One (Brevity) contains my actual picks, while the other (Purely Chalk) is a mindless depiction of what would happen if the favored team always won.

I used to wonder if it was worth my time to ponder the matchups and predict upsets that may never happen, or if I'd just do better choosing the higher seed. Now, with a separate entry that acts entirely as an illustration, I (and others) will know.

I think it's a helpful measure, but if others have a real problem with this, I can remove the Purely Chalk entry. (I hesitate to mention that in an all-chalk entry, the overall number one seed is picked to win it all, which won't win any popularity points. But, to help balance it out, my Brevity bracket has UNC losing in the 2nd round.)

ugadevil
03-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Just so no one gets angered or tries to kick one of the entries out of the group...there are two entries under the name D. Aldridge. One is me, and the other is my dad. He reads DBR and occasionally checks the boards but doesn't really post. It's a family fued!

wiscodevil
03-19-2008, 10:18 AM
if we enter the dbr pool listed at the beginning of this thread, does that make us eligible for the money prize in espn's bracket challenge or are they two separate things?

i got plans for that 10G!

ArkieDukie
03-20-2008, 08:32 AM
One was a bit mindless (picked winners based on W-L record), the other was gut - and Duke winning, of course. Do I need to remove one of them?

devildownunder
03-20-2008, 09:24 AM
I've got 4 brackets in because I filled them out before I read all of this thread. Is this going to bother anyone?

Well, besides you, Jason. :o

EarlJam
03-20-2008, 10:13 AM
I've got 4 brackets in because I filled them out before I read all of this thread. Is this going to bother anyone?

Well, besides you, Jason. :o

While not truly upset about it at all, I fully agree with Jason. This contest is about accurately predicting who will advance using a combination of skill and luck. If you win with four brackets, it takes the "good job!" and the "Wow!" factor out of it.

Kind of like if I asked you to pick a number between one and five, and you get four guesses. No one's really going to be impressed if you get it right and you certainly don't deserve a pony.

-EarlJam

Wander
03-20-2008, 11:41 AM
I used to wonder if it was worth my time to ponder the matchups and predict upsets that may never happen, or if I'd just do better choosing the higher seed. Now, with a separate entry that acts entirely as an illustration, I (and others) will know.

On average you'll do better by just picking favorites, but if your goal is to win a pool instead of simply doing above average, you need to pick some upsets.

DevilAlumna
03-20-2008, 01:52 PM
No one's really going to be impressed if you get it right and you certainly don't deserve a pony.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d28/trevorshorey/nopony.jpg

EarlJam
03-20-2008, 02:38 PM
I am batting 1.000!

I RULE!

-EarlJam

ArkieDukie
03-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Obviously, I lack the Earl of Jam's skill in selecting winners. My first bracket (the one doing the best) I didn't think about my selections at all - I went strictly by win-loss record. I only have 50% of the possible points so far on the one where I actually thought about my selections. :o At least there's still time for the numbers to improve a bit.

feldspar
03-21-2008, 01:36 AM
Congrats to juise, wolfpacker and Wray, who are all 16-0 after the first day!!

devildownunder
03-21-2008, 01:48 AM
While not truly upset about it at all, I fully agree with Jason. This contest is about accurately predicting who will advance using a combination of skill and luck. If you win with four brackets, it takes the "good job!" and the "Wow!" factor out of it.

Kind of like if I asked you to pick a number between one and five, and you get four guesses. No one's really going to be impressed if you get it right and you certainly don't deserve a pony.

-EarlJam

That hurt.

juise
03-21-2008, 01:56 AM
Congrats to juise, wolfpacker and Wray, who are all 16-0 after the first day!!

Thanks! In all my other 4 brackets I had Kent St. winning, so this is the only one that I'm 16/16. Good luck to everyone tomorrow... except for those of us who have UNC winning. I hope I'm 15/16 tomorrow. :)

Bluedawg
03-21-2008, 01:01 PM
why is this not pegged anymore? It is my link to the brackets and the password?

feldspar
03-21-2008, 01:03 PM
why is this not pegged anymore? It is my link to the brackets and the password?

No, probably just cause sign-ups are over.

DukeDevil
03-21-2008, 03:37 PM
I have a feeling I won't be able to brag after the current set of games are over, so I want to get it in now.

What what?! All but one pick.

And before anyone says anything, no, I don't know why I picked Winthrop over Wash state.

DevilAlumna
03-21-2008, 05:58 PM
I don't know why I picked Winthrop over Wash state.

Oh good, I wasn't the only one. I just need WSU to bow out tomorrow or my bracket will be FUBAR.

I am pretty pleased that my faith in the Hilltoppers (frankly, I love their mascot) was rewarded!

feldspar
03-21-2008, 06:23 PM
That UConn loss really helped me. I don't think there's anyone who picked either Western Kentucky or San Diego into the Sweet 16. I had Drake.

feldspar
03-22-2008, 01:33 AM
After the first round, "Gamehenge Multibeasts" :confused: and wolfpacker are tied for the lead with 27 :eek: out of 32 correct picks.

Well done!

Bluedawg
03-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Moving this back up top for easier access.

ugadevil
03-22-2008, 09:26 AM
After the first round, "Gamehenge Multibeasts" :confused: and wolfpacker are tied for the lead with 27 :eek: out of 32 correct picks.

Well done!

74Wolfpacker is my dad! Everyone should give him a hard time because he graduated from N.C. State & because he picked Carolina to win it all!!!! However, since he picked UNC, his bracket will soon fall apart. Don't hold it against him, he's more loyal to Duke than the school he graduated from.:D

EarlJam
03-28-2008, 10:10 PM
While I will end up winning the whole thing (look at the brackets), I must say "Holy Cow!"

DevilDownUnder predicted Davidson to beat Wisconsin in the tournament.

I bow to that.

That's really a great call and deserves some praise.

DevilDownUnder also has Memphis in the Final Four, which is a huge mistake, but that Davidson/Wisconsin pick blows me away; I have to admit it.

KUDOS DevilDownUnder!

-Mr. EarlJam

blazindw
03-28-2008, 10:50 PM
That Memphis pick isn't much of a mistake right now...up by 30 on Michigan Snake at the half...

I do think they will lose to Texas on Sunday...but they aren't losing tonight.

EarlJam
03-28-2008, 10:53 PM
That Memphis pick isn't much of a mistake right now...up by 30 on Michigan Snake at the half...

I do think they will lose to Texas on Sunday...but they aren't losing tonight.

Man, agreed. The strategy against Memphis (a poor man's UNLV of '08) is to keep it within 10 with five minutes left. A close game in the end and they WILL lose.

But give them a 30+ point lead and their poor free-throw shooting doesn't matter. Geesh. Michigan State is totally letting them off the hook.

-Mr. EarlJam

kydevil
03-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Whenever I think of Memphis and free throw shooting (or lack of) I can't help but think of Darius Washington.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-cqlbqJFWM&feature=related

EarlJam
03-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Whenever I think of Memphis and free throw shooting (or lack of) I can't help but think of Darius Washington.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-cqlbqJFWM&feature=related

Hey, awesome post and I'm still watching, but did you notice how much he WALKED before that shot went up? Wow! Four steps!

-EJ

kydevil
03-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Hey, awesome post and I'm still watching, but did you notice how much he WALKED before that shot went up? Wow! Four steps!

-EJ

I actually had not noticed his walk until you mentioned but WOW!

I actually lived in Orlando when Darius went to high school down there and got to watch quite a few of his games, really a pretty good kid. I obviously felt really bad for him; however, did anyone else think he held his form a little long on that first attempt that he made? :eek:

EarlJam
03-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Wow. Just watched the rest and remember that now. Poor kid.

I thought, "Great recognition by the announcer" when he said, "Somebody's got to go help that kid." Turns out it was Spanarkel?

What a tough, tough, moment.

-EJ

brevity
03-30-2008, 07:32 PM
One (Brevity) contains my actual picks, while the other (Purely Chalk) is a mindless depiction of what would happen if the favored team always won.

My Purely Chalk entry is in 3rd place, and is the highest ranking entry to have UNC win it all. This is not bragging -- I want you all to root hard against this entry. It needs to lose, and lose pathetically. Just because we have an all-chalk Final Four doesn't mean we need all-chalk results.

So cheer on Kansas, who has even more reason to despise Roy "talks with the vocabulary of Abraham Simpson" Williams.

Now, I will brag about my 11th place Brevity entry, which can't win, but should place high.

devildownunder
03-31-2008, 12:30 AM
First, the good news. I am 22nd overall in espn's bracket challenge, but it gets better. I have the entire final four picked. But wait, it gets even better than that, every single one of the 21 people ahead of me has a different outcome for the final four than I do. Bottom line, if Kansas beats UCLA, I am the winner. No matter what the score is. OHMIGOD!

Now, the bad news, because I no longer live in the US, I don't think I'd be eligible for the $10,000 prize.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
:) :(

devildownunder
03-31-2008, 12:30 AM
While I will end up winning the whole thing (look at the brackets), I must say "Holy Cow!"

DevilDownUnder predicted Davidson to beat Wisconsin in the tournament.

I bow to that.

That's really a great call and deserves some praise.

DevilDownUnder also has Memphis in the Final Four, which is a huge mistake, but that Davidson/Wisconsin pick blows me away; I have to admit it.

KUDOS DevilDownUnder!

-Mr. EarlJam

you were saying about that Memphis pick?

brevity
03-31-2008, 02:38 AM
First, the good news. I am 22nd overall in espn's bracket challenge, but it gets better. I have the entire final four picked. But wait, it gets even better than that, every single one of the 21 people ahead of me has a different outcome for the final four than I do. Bottom line, if Kansas beats UCLA, I am the winner. No matter what the score is. OHMIGOD!

Now, the bad news, because I no longer live in the US, I don't think I'd be eligible for the $10,000 prize.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
:) :(

Congratulations! I was just talking about being 3rd/11th in our group; I had no idea your 1st place entry was on the national leaderboard.

The rules (http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/story?pageName=tcmen\rules) are pretty clear on the ineligibility of residents outside of the United States and DC, and even excludes Puerto Rico and Florida(!). Maybe you have a relative still in the US, and maybe they used your account. Isn't that what you meant to say? Sure, you were advising them on their homegrown picks, and your 50% consulting fee is contingent on their winning it all.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

ugadevil
03-31-2008, 01:57 PM
That Memphis pick really has turned out to look good. I didn't expect Memphis to get past the Sweet 16, but I don't know if there was a team that looked better over the weekend. I know they're athletic, but when they play tough defense...they make teams look stupid! I'm a little nervous about my UCLA pick right now.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Score on my CBS Sportsline Facebook bracket is 102 which I think is pretty good. Ranked no. 5100

YmoBeThere
04-05-2008, 11:07 PM
It all rests on the championship game now...