PDA

View Full Version : Battier's Rockets playing like a college team

dukelifer
03-14-2008, 10:56 PM
The Rockets just beat the Bobcats for their 21st win in a row. The Rockets are playing with the enthusiasm of a college team. Battier is right in the middle of all this. It is a great story for the NBA.

prefan21
03-14-2008, 11:02 PM
The Rockets just beat the Bobcats for their 21st win in a row. The Rockets are playing with the enthusiasm of a college team. Battier is right in the middle of all this. It is a great story for the NBA.

It's the second longest winning streak in NBA history, if that says anything! :eek:

yancem
03-14-2008, 11:22 PM
It's the second longest winning streak in NBA history, if that says anything! :eek:

The amazing thing is that even with the streak, they are only tied with San Antonio and still a game back of the Lakers!

hc5duke
03-15-2008, 02:42 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080315/capt.1dda176cacea45df85ae86f3abd03d54.bobcats_rock ets_basketball_htr116.jpg
this is MY house! get that weak **** outta here!

hc5duke
03-15-2008, 02:53 AM
The amazing thing is that even with the streak, they are only tied with San Antonio and still a game back of the Lakers!

actually with tonight's win and with san antonio losing, the rockets lead their division by 1 game. with the lakers' loss, we're tied for the conference lead as well.

dukemomLA
03-15-2008, 02:53 AM
Time and time again, no matter whether it's with Memphis or Houston, Shane proves his worth. He's a leader. Even without Yao, I know it's Shane who rallies the men on his team.

I don't care about his stats -- even those have been impressive. Even without a point or a rebound or assist or a block, Battier is THE MAN. Can he run for POTUS now?

4decadedukie
03-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Leadership, character, talent, tenaciousness, intelligence -- Shane has always had the "full package" of excellence. It will be exciting to see where he applies those prodigious traits after basketball. I truly hope he becomes the first Trinity College alumnus to be our President (although admiring, respecting and liking the guy as much as I do, I truly do not know why I'd wish that).

camion
03-15-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm still hoping to eventually see him on the sidelines as Duke's head bball coach. That is if he can fit that in with his (US) presidential duties.

"Mr. President, er, coach, what do you think fueled that 20-2 run at the end of the first half. And speaking of fuel how is your solar energy initiative faring in Congress?"

yancem
03-15-2008, 10:48 AM
actually with tonight's win and with san antonio losing, the rockets lead their division by 1 game. with the lakers' loss, we're tied for the conference lead as well.

The standings must not have been updated when I looked at them (or some games were still being played). Either way, I think my point is still valid; it is weird for a team to be riding the second longest winning streak in nba history and not have a sizable advantage in the standings.

delfrio
03-15-2008, 01:02 PM
The standings must not have been updated when I looked at them (or some games were still being played). Either way, I think my point is still valid; it is weird for a team to be riding the second longest winning streak in nba history and not have a sizable advantage in the standings.

"I'm willing to concede we're the worst team in NBA history to have a 20-game winning streak," Rockets forward Shane Battier said.

hc5duke
03-16-2008, 06:46 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2008/03/ipt/1205705487.jpg
With the win, the Rockets take over 1st place in the West, with a showdown with the Celtics coming up!

billybreen
03-16-2008, 10:43 PM
With the win, the Rockets take over 1st place in the West, with a showdown with the Celtics coming up!

Even better was the praise the commentators heaped on Shane at the end. Mark Jackson said it was the best individual defensive performance he's ever seen against Kobe.

hc5duke
03-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Even better was the praise the commentators heaped on Shane at the end. Mark Jackson said it was the best individual defensive performance he's ever seen against Kobe.

Clearly he's never seen Ruben "Kobe stopper" Patterson defend Kobe...
http://www.lucidtree.com/random/kobestopper.jpg :D

kmspeaks
03-17-2008, 12:17 PM

Shane's defense was also the main point of the game's highlights on sportscenter this morning!!

Devil07
03-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Check out this from the Houston Chronicle: Battier's contributions come to light for Rocekts (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5624501.html)

If this keeps up, Shane Battier won't be the most unappreciated NBA player. Pretty soon the whole world will know what you and I have known for a while.

This is one terrific basketball player. Tough and smart and fearless. Absolutely relentless. Part of history.

Shane is getting all sorts of love in Houston, and it certainly is well deserved. The Rockets are such a fun team to watch. Just seeing the enthusiasm the whole team shows, all the way down to the end of the bench, is really refreshing . The huge grin on Mutombo's face at the end of the game says it all. He looked like a big kid having the time of his life. I'm pretty biased, but its hard not to root for this team.

xenic
03-17-2008, 02:10 PM
so from 24-20 to 46-20... pretty amazing. what were they doing their first 44 games?

Exiled_Devil
03-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Time and time again, no matter whether it's with Memphis or Houston, Shane proves his worth. He's a leader. Even without Yao, I know it's Shane who rallies the men on his team.

I don't care about his stats -- even those have been impressive. Even without a point or a rebound or assist or a block, Battier is THE MAN. Can he run for POTUS now?

still a few more years...we did the math in 2001(check the avatar)