PDA

View Full Version : Robert Brickey out at Shaw

jimsumner
03-14-2008, 06:49 PM
I know we have other things on our minds right now but I think Brickey deserves his own thread.

One of the nicest guys on the planet, Brickey deserved better than this, IMO. I know Shaw had a bad season but they were devastated by injuries this season, just wiped out.

This is a tough, tough job, small, private school, limited facilities, limited budget, hemmed in in a pretty rough neighborhood in downtown Raleigh.

Yet, I talked to Robert just a few days ago and he seemed enthusiastic about next season. I really wish Shaw had given him more time, at least enough time to have a season with a healthy team comprised of players he recruited.

So color me seriously bummed out.

freedevil
03-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Completely agree. Impatience is a problem throughout college sports.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2008, 09:58 PM
I may get this wrong (and Jim or others can correct me), but one of my favorite memories of Rbt. Brickey was in the 1988 tourney when we played at the Dean Dome in the first two rounds. One of the games was against (IIRC) St. John's, and we were down about 10 or so late in the game. Brickey gets fouled, and there is a technical called. Now, Robert was one of my favorite players but free throw shooting was not his forte. K sends him out to shoot all four free throws.

Brickey hits all four, Duke comes back and wins.

Brickey's injury in one of those tourney runs really cut us down, too. He is underappreciated by many, but one of the grittiest guys I've seen represent our university.

Robert, I know you'll land on your feet. Please know that many folks who you've never met or probably seen are pulling for you.

== OPK

jimsumner
03-14-2008, 10:33 PM
It was 1990 v. St. John's. Brickey stole the ball from Billy Singleton. Singleton then fouled Brickey. Singleton thought that Brickey had fouled him and protested with some vehemence. He was t'd up.

Brickey made the two foul shots and looked so comfortable doing so that K motioned him to stay on the line and take the technicals. Remember, this team had Phil Henderson, Laettner, Hurley, McCaffrey. But K's instincts proved sound and Brickey made both technicals. Duke maintained possession and Abdelnaby scored inside, to complete a crucial six-point possession that turned around the game.

Brickey was a senior, facing the end of his career, and came up huge. He ended with 20, 22 points something in that range.

Brickey was ill in the 1988 NCAAs and was taken out on a cheap shot in the 1989 FF v. Seton Hall, so he had his share of bad luck in the post-season.

Maybe Duke has another job in conjunction with the new facility.

buzz
03-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Brickey's injury in one of those tourney runs really cut us down, too. He is underappreciated by many, but one of the grittiest guys I've seen represent our university.== OPK

One of my most painful moments as a Duke fan. We were putting on an absolute clinic against Seton Hall in the Final Four until Brickey was (somewhat cheaply, from what I recall) undercut and had to leave the game. At that point, we were up 26-8. The momentum visibly shifted immediately after that, and SH ran away with it. We should have been in the 1989 final.