PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats Arena Security threatens to throw Duke students out for GTHC cheer

jlear
03-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Charlotte Bobcats Arena Security just threatened to throw a number of Duke students out if they chant Go To Hell Carolina Go To Hell again. Needless to say they are infuriated.

TwoDukeTattoos
03-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Charlotte Bobcats Arena Security just threatened to throw a number of Duke students out if they chant Go To Hell Carolina Go To Hell again. Needless to say they are infuriated.

Wow, are you actually on-site reporting this?

Acymetric
03-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Think they'll do the same thing when "F you Paulus" starts up? Because I'd put money on that happening...

BlueDevilBaby
03-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Think they'll do the same thing when "F you Paulus" starts up? Because I'd put money on that happening...

The cheer or them getting tossed?

P.S. I know what you meant.;)

jlear
03-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Wow, are you actually on-site reporting this?

No my daughter called me about it.

I am leaving my office now to head down for tonight's games.

She said it was the Va Tech fans that complained.

Pacer
03-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Have them ask for a supervisor... and keep doing so until they get the answer they like.

alteran
03-14-2008, 01:12 PM
No my daughter called me about it.

I am leaving my office now to head down for tonight's games.

She said it was the Va Tech fans that complained.

Yeah, those VT fans are a gentle lot. :rolleyes:

DankeShane
03-14-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm not saying I agree with the arena security people... but if we're talking about like a group of four Duke fans off by themselves in the middle or near non-UNC fans shouting it in a neutral arena when Duke isn't even on the floor... if nothing else they probably just come off looking really stupid.

I mean I would never shout that unless I was back in the Cameron student section but maybe that's just me.

Johnboy
03-14-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm not saying I agree with the arena security people... but if we're talking about like a group of four Duke fans off by themselves in the middle or near non-UNC fans shouting it in a neutral arena when Duke isn't even on the floor... if nothing else they probably just come off looking really stupid.

I mean I would never shout that unless I was back in the Cameron student section but maybe that's just me.

Carolina is on the floor. That's as good a time as any to tell them where to go.

willywoody
03-14-2008, 01:51 PM
well, they are the CAROLINA bobcats...

and they can go to hell as well.

EarlJam
03-14-2008, 01:52 PM
I agree with Bobcat security. The word "Hell" is extremely offensive and if I were a prude attending the game, I would not want to hear such a damaging and imflammatory word either. I can't imagine anything worse.

Not to mention, with Seth Green and D. Washington, the VT Team itself has raised the bar on ethical conduct to quite a high level.

What a bunch of poong-taters. Reminds me of when I was at an Atlanta Falcons game. The Falcons scored, and my friends and I got up and screamed and yelled with the other 11,000 in attendance to celebrate the Falcon's pulling to within 23. Some fuddy-dud behind us tapped us on the shoulder and asked rather sternly if we would "sit down and be quiet."

People like that, and the VD Hoagies team alike can just go to Hell. I say again, Go to Hell VD, Go to Hell!

-EJ Jazzy Dan and the Fresh Mints

CMS2478
03-14-2008, 01:58 PM
I can see how that could be offensive to some people that have kids or families at the game, maybe that should be reserved for Cameron Indoor Stadium. We are already hated as a team, fanbase, university, etc......no need to fan the flames. Just my opinion. :D

jgflava
03-14-2008, 02:07 PM
The only reason I can see this happening is because of last week's tragedy in Chapel Hill. Obviously, Va Tech fans had their own tragedy last year, so I'm sure they're sympathetic toward Carolina.

I really don't care if they are doing that chant, but I can see the reasoning for some people at the arena being upset.

willywoody
03-14-2008, 02:25 PM
it's ok right now. thinking otherwise is ludicrous, imo. now i wouldn't just run around willy nilly chanting it but when carolina is playing and you've got enough duke fans there to make it hear i say go for it. and if we get ourselves in a blowout game then i say go for it. but if you're a small island amongst other team's fans then you better use some comon sense.

that chant is less offensive than 5 minutes of VH1, sports talk radio, or half the movies shown on the abc family channel.

jlear
03-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I just talked to my Daughter again. She told me she started yelling at the VA Tech guy that D. Washington is a punk. Then the Va Tech guy got in a shouting match with an older lady Iron Duke who told him if you can say in church you can say it in a basketball game.

She also told me that the UNC fans nearby had no problem with it (anymore than they ever do).

I think the VATech guy just doesn't have a sense of ACC history. Of course I will let him know that he can go to hell if he is there tonight. :)

Isn't there a UNC fight song that includes Go to H#$@ Duke in it?

DukieInKansas
03-14-2008, 02:41 PM
I just talked to my Daughter again. She told me she started yelling at the VA Tech guy that D. Washington is a punk. Then the Va Tech guy got in a shouting match with an older lady Iron Duke who told him if you can say in church you can say it in a basketball game.
She also told me that the UNC fans nearby had no problem with it (anymore than they ever do).

I think the VATech guy just doesn't have a sense of ACC history. Of course I will let him know that he can go to hell if he is there tonight. :)

Dang - our fans are smart. What a quick comeback.

Perhaps it should just be yelled in code. I can hear the Duke faithful now: 9F, Carolina, 9F.

GTH, C, GTH.

Lavabe
03-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Dang - our fans are smart. What a quick comeback.

Perhaps it should just be yelled in code. I can hear the Duke faithful now: 9F, Carolina, 9F.

GTH, C, GTH.

The proper cheer for 9F is done a la TAR ... HOLES ... (or RED/WHITE, WOLF/PACK, etc...)

NINE!
EFFFFFFF!
NINE!
EFFFFF!

However, the censorship deities mandate that yours is a suitable stopgap, until the censorship issue hits the national media.

9F Cheers,
Lavabe

hurleyfor3
03-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Maybe the VPI fans are just cognizant they have one of their own down there, and don't want the place to get overrun with UNC folks.

EarlJam
03-14-2008, 03:20 PM
I think the VATech guy just doesn't have a sense of ACC history.

Or a sense of humor.

-EJ

ugadevil
03-14-2008, 05:09 PM
I can see how that could be offensive to some people that have kids or families at the game, maybe that should be reserved for Cameron Indoor Stadium. We are already hated as a team, fanbase, university, etc......no need to fan the flames. Just my opinion. :D

Is this cheer something that is only exclusive to Duke? I thought many of the schools did the GTCH cheer. My dad, who went to NC State during the David Thompson days, has told me stories about how they would go the top of their dorm building and have contests with other dorm buildings seeing who could be louder with the GTHC chant. I just thought the GTHC thing was universal?:D

hurleyfor3
03-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Is this cheer something that is only exclusive to Duke? I thought many of the schools did the GTCH cheer. My dad, who went to NC State during the David Thompson days, has told me stories about how they would go the top of their dorm building and have contests with other dorm buildings seeing who could be louder with the GTHC chant. I just thought the GTHC thing was universal?:D

I don't think State does the cheer the same way we do today, but they definitely sing "Go to hell Carolina" in place of "Come over the hill Carolina" in their fight song.

rebels07
03-14-2008, 09:53 PM
can someone explain how 9F translates to GTHC?

OldPhiKap
03-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Fight! Fight, Blue Devils
Fight for Duke and the Blue and White
March on through
For the touchdown's there for you,
Go get 'em!
Duke is out to win today
Carolina goodnight! (EAT #$%^)
So turn on the steam, team,
Fight! Blue Devils, Fight!

Breakstrain:
(clap clap clap) Go!
(clap clap clap) Go!
Rip 'em up, tear 'em up! Give 'em hell, Duke!
(clap clap clap) Go!
(clap clap clap) Go!

Second verse:
Here in Durham town
There's a university
And tonight those tower bells of Duke
Will ring out merrily.
See that old Blue Devil smoke
Arising to the sky.
There's something doing, there's vict'ry brewing,
Don't you hear that battle cry.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2008, 10:05 PM

http://www.duke.edu/~bct1/images/DBRHPR7.1asPDF.pdf

(page 4)

JBDuke
03-14-2008, 10:06 PM

Please read the "stickied" threads at the top of the King board. In them, you'll find a link to Throatybeard's Handy Pocket Reference. When you familiarize yourself with that, you'll see where 9F comes from.

While you're there, please take the time to read the rest of the "sticky" threads. They will cover a variety of frequently-asked questions like this one.

Bostondevil
03-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Oooo, I just love the thought of sticky threads. VaTech guy lighten up. As far as the folks there with children, who are they and better yet, how can they afford to bring their children? Actually, there were empty seats last night weren't there.

pamtar
03-14-2008, 10:19 PM

Yes. Its goes: rah rah Car-lina-lina, rah rah Car-lina-lina, rah rah carolina, go the hell (State, Duke, Wake)

My damn neighbors used to sing that crap all the time.

loran16
03-14-2008, 10:20 PM
March on through
There's a slam dunk there for you,
Go Devils!
We're..gonna win tonight.
Carolina go to hell! (EAT #$%^)

Fixed.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-14-2008, 10:26 PM

AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

OldPhiKap
03-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Fixed.

Both work for me !!!!!

But I always kind of liked the Ca-rolina goooooood niiiiiight!!! (ES!!!!!!!)

It gives it that whole cosmic, larger-than-life tone that was so hip when I was a lad . . . .

OZZIE4DUKE
03-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Some fuddy-dud behind us tapped us on the shoulder and asked rather sternly if we would "sit down and be quiet."

Same thing happened to me in the Meadowlands one year at a Duke game there. The correct, polite answer to that request is "sir/madam, there is a place for behavior like that, and it is YOUR living room. If you want it quiet, please go watch the game there. Here in the arena, jumping up, yelling, screaming, shouting and cheering is quite appropriate." On the other hand, you could just laugh at them and tell 'em to stick it where the sun don't shine. Both are effective.

DU82
03-14-2008, 10:35 PM
'87 ACC Tournament in Landover, MD (good thing that potato chip is no longer around!)

During the first game on Friday, the announcer said that if the noise meter would reach 100, bells and whistles and lights would go off. Naturally, the Duke students started GTHCGTH, and 7/8th of the arena joined in. The lights went off shortly thereafter. (Not that it was as impressive as the announcer made it seem.)

Now, some newbee to the ACC thinks it's his right to change tradition. Thanks, Swafford (also, GTHC) for expansion.

21fish
03-14-2008, 11:38 PM
just throwing this out there - i saw the va tech fan today that was "offended" by the gthc chant, and there were no children with him, and no children near him. also, the group of dukies that were threatened to be thrown out are wondering if he'll let them chant it tomorrow, when they're actually rooting for his team against unc. i guess we shall see..

Jim3k
03-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Same thing happened to me in the Meadowlands one year at a Duke game there. The correct, polite answer to that request is "sir/madam, there is a place for behavior like that, and it is YOUR living room. If you want it quiet, please go watch the game there. Here in the arena, jumping up, yelling, screaming, shouting and cheering is quite appropriate." On the other hand, you could just laugh at them and tell 'em to stick it where the sun don't shine. Both are effective.

Oz, please make clear that this rule is one-way only.

When my wife and I attended the Regionals in Anaheim in 2003 the shoe was on the other foot. We had lost to Kansas in the first round and KU was playing Arizona in the regional finals. I had a rooting interest in UofA. Six or seven 20-something Kansas rooters had seated themselves in front of us.

They decided they were in Lawrence and behaved accordingly, never sitting down and leaping all around. It really made for poor viewing for us oldsters who didn't want to be standing throughout the game. So I I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ed about it to them and managed to persuade them that they didn't have the right to block our view throughout. At halftime, they moved to other seats. Playing the cranky old man has its benefits. :D

Trouble was, KU beat the UofA, too. Lost weekend. Disneyland was good, though.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-15-2008, 08:17 AM
"sir/madam, there is a place for behavior like that, and it is YOUR living room. If you want it quiet, please go watch the game there. Here in the arena, jumping up, yelling, screaming, shouting and cheering is quite appropriate."

Oz, please make clear that this rule is one-way only.

At halftime, they moved to other seats. Playing the cranky old man has its benefits. :D

I'm not for full time standing, a la the Crazies in Cameron, but I am for jumping up, standing and cheering at important and/or key times.

In the Meadowlands, it was a young, 30-something family with two young kids who were "bothered" by us. Nothing foul was involved, at least by us, just being really loud - the kids were being "bothered" by the noise. The wife was the Duke fan and talked her husband into getting the tickets (he had no interest in the game). They got up to move at halftime, and the husband let go with a string of foul-mouthed vitriol that included just about every four letter word that I know, right in front of his kids. We just listened, and when he was finished we asked him if he always talked like that in front of his kids? He fumed off, never to be seen again.

Capn Poptart
03-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Did the same guy attack the GT fans yesterday for singing their fight song?

I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a hell of an engineer,
A helluva, helluva, helluva, hell of an engineer,
Like all the jolly good fellows, I drink my whiskey clear,
I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a hell of an engineer.

Oh, if I had a daughter, sir, I'd dress her in White and Gold,
And put her on the campus, to cheer the brave and bold.
But if I had a son, sir, I'll tell you what he'd do.
He would yell, "To Hell with Georgia," like his daddy used to do.

Oh, I wish I had a barrel of rum and sugar three thousand pounds,
A college bell to put it in and a clapper to stir it around.
I'd drink to all good fellows who come from far and near.
I'm a ramblin', gamblin', hell of an engineer.

elvis14
03-15-2008, 10:28 AM
On News 14 they showed an interview with JonS and he idiot media guy said something like "with the crowd rooting for the underdog" blah blah. Yeah right, the only place Duke has a home game is in Cameron. Anywhere else, expect the hate. What we are reading here is hate from Va Tech fans (they weren't offended they just hate us so much they will do anything anti-Duke...you know like telling security that 9f is offending them) and hate from the Bobcats security (aka Carolina fans working as security to get into the arena to work games). None of this is surprising and I'm embarrassed for them because it's not anything positive towards their team it's just hate towards Duke. Of course 9F is pretty hateful too but the Tar Holes and their fans have earned that hate!

If you are at the games today please stand, be loud, be classy, stand up and cheer and chant GTHC GTH all damn day!

CrazyCat
03-15-2008, 10:48 AM
If Va Tech had any knowlege or a sense of humor, then they would know what 9F is for, and that it falls well within the rules of our rilvary. As a parent I can understand not wanting to take your kids to a game and have some one sitting there dropping the F bomb every other word, but I think we have all seen enough kids sit through games at Cameron and walk out unharmed. Why should these games be any different. This is the tourneys for god sakes. Duke fans are spirited people, we root for out team. If people don't like that, then I firmly believe their place is watching the game in there living room, not in a stadium with Duke or Carolina on the floor.

Capn Poptart
03-15-2008, 11:33 AM
I also have to say, after living in Southwest Virginia for a number of years, I think this might be a culture clash, too. It's a very, rural, religious and conservative area. Tech has fans and alumni from other areas, of course, but I could definitely see some of the folks from that area being troubled by "GTHC."

OZZIE4DUKE
03-15-2008, 03:05 PM
I thought many of the schools did the GTCH cheer.

Many schools do! But nobody does it better, or with the feeling, that we do!

GO TO HELL carolina, GO TO HELL!

CrazyCat
03-16-2008, 03:55 PM
That's the spirit Ozzie. We are going to have to have you say it a bit louder when the brackets are announced here in a few hours.

ugadevil
03-16-2008, 04:17 PM
I also have to say, after living in Southwest Virginia for a number of years, I think this might be a culture clash, too. It's a very, rural, religious and conservative area. Tech has fans and alumni from other areas, of course, but I could definitely see some of the folks from that area being troubled by "GTHC."

I don't agree with this at all. I have lived in Roanoke, VA for most of my life and have many friends who attend VA. Tech & I know tons of alumni. When it comes to cheering for their teams, VA. Tech fans are obnoxious as any other universities in the country. Right now, I'm just hoping that UGA takes VT's spot in the tournament!

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-16-2008, 04:28 PM
March on through
For the touchdown's there for you,
Go get 'em!
Duke is out to win today
Carolina goodnight! (EAT #$%^)

Breakstrain:
(clap clap clap) Go!
(clap clap clap) Go!
(clap clap clap) Go!
(clap clap clap) Go!

Second verse:
Here in Durham town
There's a university
And tonight those tower bells of Duke
Will ring out merrily.
See that old Blue Devil smoke
Arising to the sky.
There's something doing, there's vict'ry brewing,
Don't you hear that battle cry.

I'm impressed that you know all the words! I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I happen to have a copy of the sheet music for this fight song and would like to offer a clarification. The portion which begins with, "Here in Durham town" is the verse. The words which begin with "Fight! Fight! Blue Devils...." is the chorus. Both verse and chorus are to be played and sung in march tempo.

weezie
03-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Please forgive a tired fan who just returned from Charlotte but was there any mention of the missing Blue Devil mascot from the game?

And, as to abusive fans, it's becoming pretty par for the course at the ACC tea party. I was jeered at non-stop by 'holes and clemmies during our game yesterday. Yelled at to stop jumping up after scores and to stop clapping so much.
Our opponents' fans make it extremely easy to wear a sneer in response.

bbar7502
03-16-2008, 04:57 PM
I feel ya weezie, I was in section 202 (upper) and I got hammered yesterday. I was surrounded by a sea of light blue and during the unc- va tech game I kept my cool and didnt go out of my way to pull for va tech or anything. I didnt even jump up and scream (even though I wanted to) when I though va tech was getting hosed by the refs for some of the hack job defense that unc was doing right there at the end. I just enjoyed the game and waited for my main event. Well during the whole game I had tarhole fans doing the clemson cheers and telling me to sit down and basically screaming at me the whole time. Then when it was apparent duke was going to lose in the closing seconds, they kept screaming at me to go ahead and sell them my tickets for the game on sunday which I just kept my cool, because I didn't want to end up on the front page of the local newspaper. The only highlight at the end of the game was a young girl who some tarhole fans were screaming at for her to sell them her tickets. She reached in her pocket like she was gonna get them out and pulled out her middle finger. :) I laughed like crazy, but I did end up selling my tickets on the cheap to a carolina fan. It was a father with his little son, and well I had to show some class. I would have ended up killing someone today anyway. well i dont really feel like talking about the game, I hope that we are sent out west and forgotten about. Then we suprise everyone and sneak to the final four..............

weezie
03-16-2008, 05:18 PM
PS, Charlotte is a drag of a venue. The over-stuffed light rail adds an hour on the commute each way, no tailgating of any merit, the bartenders uptown are miserable (annoyed that people might want a beer or seven after a game,) the St Patrick's Day parade added to the general confusion and commute annoyance, the seats are squished, the roof leaked, the stadium food was barfy and the scoreboard was hard to keep an eye on when each time out went to a court view while dropping all the stats off.
They did have nice smelling soap in the ladies rooms though....that's about all I liked there.