PDA

View Full Version : Maryland... NIT...decline bid?

gep
03-14-2008, 03:32 AM
I heard one local Maryland fan say that Maryland is now NIT bound... but they will probably decline an NIT bid like they tried to last time when the president intervened. Interestingly, this fan also would encourage the basketball team to decline the NIT bid.

What has this come to? If you're not good enough for the NCAA, you should welcome an NIT bid. There are MANY schools that would totally embrace an NIT bid (absolutely no chance for NCAA). If Maryland (and this fan) thinks that NIT is not worthy, and that they deserve NCAA, but can't cut it, they should either re-assess their position in life, or maybe think that it's Williams that's the problem. But somehow, they can't agree that Williams is the "problem"?... then what is?

I truly hope that if it comes to pass in the future, that Duke has a "really down year" and misses the NCAA but gets a NIT bid, that we all embrace the NIT bid, and say that the year was not an NCAA year... There are SO many teams that would like any kind of post-season opportunity, I can't understand the snub-ness of the "elite". Down years happen... just like other "stuff".

BD80
03-14-2008, 07:49 AM
With so many coaches reaching milestone wins this year, Gary should be thinking about picking up a few more wins. :)

I would think Gary would want to give his kid a "fresh" start this year to see if they can build some momentum for next year. Another loss will not further ruin a bad year, so it is low risk compared to the possible reward.

Would Md fans come out to watch the NIT? The funny thought is that Md might not be highly enough seeded to get home games at the in the first couple of rounds! I think that might p*ss Gary off!

billybreen
03-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Gary's just psyched for the off season. Party!

http://rushthecourt.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/gary-williams-chicken-wing.gif

TwoDukeTattoos
03-14-2008, 08:07 AM
It's understandable why a coach/team would not want to accept an NIT bid, particularly in the same decade of winning the National Title; because it's embarrasing. However, he should want to do it for his players so that they can gain some sort of tourney experience, thus preparing them for the following season.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2008, 08:33 AM
If you don't want to play basketball, don't. I think it's poorer sportsmanship to accept a Nit bid but tank the game because you don't care. Personally I'm far more comfortable not participating in an event than participating in an event I don't care about.

Often it's not profitable to travel or even turn the lights on in your own building... people just aren't motivated... kids miss class. (I know, the latter is not so much an issue at Maryland.)

I'd like to see an actual study on whether playing in the Nit gains some demonstrable "tournament experience" people seem to value so much.

DST Fan
03-14-2008, 08:40 AM
The Washington Post is reporting this morning that MD will play in the NIT because Gary wants the freshman and James Gist to have a chance to play a few more games.

JasonEvans
03-14-2008, 09:00 AM
It's understandable why a coach/team would not want to accept an NIT bid, particularly in the same decade of winning the National Title; because it's embarrasing.

Ummm, why is it embarrassing? Is there something wrong with being invited to a tournament that determines what is probably about the 25th or so best team in the land (it is my bet that the winner of the NIT would almost always have been good enough to make at least the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney)?

The team that wins the NIT one year almost always takes a big step forward the next year. It is not at all an easy tournament to win. Heck, every team in the NIT will likely be a better opponent than a #1 or #2 seed like Duke would face in the first round of the NCAA tourney.

--Jason "is there some implication that Maryland has been sooo good this year that the NIT would be beneath them?" Evans

JasonEvans
03-14-2008, 09:02 AM
The Washington Post is reporting this morning that MD will play in the NIT because Gary wants the freshman and James Gist to have a chance to play a few more games.

How honorable of them :rolleyes:

I hope the NIT doesn't invite Maryland. Better still, I hope the Terps get upset in the first round of the NIT.

--Jason "Maryland is up there alongside NC State as ACC teams that often brought minimum effort this season" Evans

TwoDukeTattoos
03-14-2008, 09:02 AM
It's sort of ironic (and we hope never symbolic) that the background photo on the NIT website shows Duke tipping off. The photo is dark and "shadowed" but the fact that it's Duke appears to be unmistakable. Quite strange when you consider that we haven't been to the NIT since 1981. I can't determine who the other photographed team are on the site.

bdh21
03-14-2008, 09:07 AM
The team that wins the NIT one year almost always takes a big step forward the next year.

Don't forget about Dave Odom's back to back NIT championships at South Carolina.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2008, 09:12 AM
It's sort of ironic (and we hope never symbolic) that the background photo on the NIT website shows Duke tipping off. The photo is dark and "shadowed" but the fact that it's Duke appears to be unmistakable. Quite strange when you consider that we haven't been to the NIT since 1981. I can't determine who the other photographed team are on the site.

http://www.nit.org/

That's definitely JJ with his back to the photographer and watching the tipoff. But why do we have a white guy (Lee Melchionni?) tipping off and not Shelden... am I forgetting something...

I think that *is* a Nit game, albeit the preseason variety when we played Memphis.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Bobby Knight (correctly) stated last night that the NIT was a good tournament which would serve Md's young players well. While I enjoy watching Gary missing the tourney, and the fans trying to figure out whether you can still throw batteries in a home post-season game, for the young team they have up there it is probably better to play a few in the NIT than one-and-done in the NCAA.

Bluedog
03-14-2008, 09:24 AM
http://www.nit.org/

That's definitely JJ with his back to the photographer and watching the tipoff. But why do we have a white guy (Lee Melchionni?) tipping off and not Shelden... am I forgetting something...

I think that *is* a Nit game, albeit the preseason variety when we played Memphis.

It's McRoberts, not Melchionni.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2008, 09:27 AM
It's McRoberts, not Melchionni.

Duh. Why do I remember 15 years ago better than two years ago.

hondoheel
03-14-2008, 09:58 AM
There was a thread on the Terp board last night saying that Gary had confirmed they were playing in the NIT. Today, their board is still down for maintenance long after all the other scout.com boards have come back up. Wonder why that is? And am I the only one who now thinks of SpongeBob's pet snail whenever I hear the name Gary?

Chard
03-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Would the ACC share revenue for any NIT games? If so, would an ACC member get into trouble for not accepting a money-making event like a NIT game(s)?

OldPhiKap
03-14-2008, 10:59 AM
There was a thread on the Terp board last night saying that Gary had confirmed they were playing in the NIT. Today, their board is still down for maintenance long after all the other scout.com boards have come back up. Wonder why that is? And am I the only one who now thinks of SpongeBob's pet snail whenever I hear the name Gary?

I don't think NIT invitations go out until after the NCAA selection process on Sunday.

jaimedun34
03-14-2008, 11:11 AM
If you don't want to play basketball, don't. I think it's poorer sportsmanship to accept a Nit bid but tank the game because you don't care. Personally I'm far more comfortable not participating in an event than participating in an event I don't care about.

Often it's not profitable to travel or even turn the lights on in your own building... people just aren't motivated... kids miss class. (I know, the latter is not so much an issue at Maryland.)

I'd like to see an actual study on whether playing in the Nit gains some demonstrable "tournament experience" people seem to value so much.

That's exactly why MD is in the NIT. They didn't feel like playing against Boston College, Ohio, American or Missouri. What's embarrassing for MD is not that they got an NIT bid. It's the fact that they were capable of much more.

jgflava
03-14-2008, 11:36 AM

Look at South Carolina. They went to the NIT Finals in 2002, won back-to-back NIT titles in 2005 and 2006, and they only have one NCAA tournament appearance during Dave Odom's tenure.

The NIT championship is probably the only championship you don't want to win in consecutive years.

Troublemaker
03-14-2008, 11:44 AM
The banner on the website (McRoberts jumping tip) is of the Duke-Memphis PRE-season NIT game two years ago.

StiggyMata
03-14-2008, 01:47 PM
The team that wins the NIT one year almost always takes a big step forward the next year.

Is this true?

2007's winner, West Virginia, may, but we don't know yet.
2006's winner, South Carolina, missed post-season play in 2007.
2005's winner, South Carolina, won the NIT in 2006.
2004's winner, Michigan, missed post-season play in 2005.
2003's winner, St. John's, missed post-season play in 2004.
2002's winner, Memphis, lost in the first round of the NCAA's in 2003.
2001's winner, Tulsa, lost in the 2nd round of the NCAA's in 2002.
2000's winner, Wake Forest, lost in the 1sr round of the NCAA's in 2001.
1999's winner, California, lost in the 3rd round of the 2000 NIT.
1998's winner, Minnesota, lost in the 1st round of the NCAA's in 1999.
1997's winner, Michigan, lost in the 2nd round of the NCAA's and had all results vacated due to NCAA rule violations.

I don't know if that's a big step forward in most cases.

DST Fan
03-14-2008, 03:22 PM
How honorable of them :rolleyes:

I hope the NIT doesn't invite Maryland. Better still, I hope the Terps get upset in the first round of the NIT.

--Jason "Maryland is up there alongside NC State as ACC teams that often brought minimum effort this season" Evans

I understand that MD fans are hoping that AU knocks off Colgate this afternoon, so there is no chance of a rematch.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Is this true?

2007's winner, West Virginia, may, but we don't know yet.
2006's winner, South Carolina, missed post-season play in 2007.
2005's winner, South Carolina, won the NIT in 2006.
2004's winner, Michigan, missed post-season play in 2005.
2003's winner, St. John's, missed post-season play in 2004.
2002's winner, Memphis, lost in the first round of the NCAA's in 2003.
2001's winner, Tulsa, lost in the 2nd round of the NCAA's in 2002.
2000's winner, Wake Forest, lost in the 1sr round of the NCAA's in 2001.
1999's winner, California, lost in the 3rd round of the 2000 NIT.
1998's winner, Minnesota, lost in the 1st round of the NCAA's in 1999.
1997's winner, Michigan, lost in the 2nd round of the NCAA's and had all results vacated due to NCAA rule violations.

I don't know if that's a big step forward in most cases.

Not only that, correlation is not causation. Maybe teams that improved the following year did so for other reasons besides playing in the Nit. And what about teams that weren't in the Nit but that did well the next year? George Mason didn't appear in the 2005 Nit, for example.