-jk

gofurman
03-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Post your thoughts here!

-jk

I was hoping for a tired Virginia.

dukelifer
03-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Let's hope they just peaked in the tourney.

Classof06
03-13-2008, 09:40 PM
The way I look at it, Georgia Tech is good test for Duke in the sense that this game should have a tournament feel. Georgia Tech is the caliber of team Duke can expect to see in the first 1 or 2 rounds; Tech was only a game under .500 in the league.

The only the way the Yellow Jackets are getting to the NCAAs is winning the tourney so they'll be desperate and play with reckless abandon like any team Duke will face as a favorite in the first couple rounds of the tourney.

Troublemaker
03-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Oh, this game will be tough. Consider also that Duke will have a bit of a hangover after the Senior Night lost to UNC; in '06, in the same circumstance, Duke kinda slugged through an 80-76 win over Miami in its first ACC tourney game post-UNC before regaining its footing and going on to win the thing.

I expect this game to be really close and otherwise, I'll be impressed if Duke can win comfortably.

Lavabe
03-13-2008, 10:00 PM
What this means here in Atlanta is:
1) No listening to the Sportstalk station, 790 the Zone, the flagship station for Tech. They also have a few yahoos who are riding the Duke Hatred Tsunami.
2) Loads of people at work (my wife's work) who will make life unbearable.
3) People will sneer at me a lot.

Better stay home, and get on the Chat!
Cheers,
Lavabe

captmojo
03-13-2008, 10:31 PM
What this means here in Atlanta is:
1) No listening to the Sportstalk station, 790 the Zone, the flagship station for Tech. They also have a few yahoos who are riding the Duke Hatred Tsunami.
2) Loads of people at work (my wife's work) who will make life unbearable.
3) People will sneer at me a lot.

Better stay home, and get on the Chat!
Cheers,
Lavabe

Wow! I'm impressed that you've encountered people in Georgia that don't have bulldawgs tattooed all over their posteriors. I thought that's all the natives were interested in.

TwoDukeTattoos
03-14-2008, 05:48 AM
This game is the perfect recipe for an upset. Forget that GT is 15-16 on the season. In the past five games the Jackets are 4-1 and the lone loss was a only a 2 point loss to VA, who they handled easily last night.

GT's recent success is credited to teamwork and moving the ball around and it's been paying off. They are clearly a different team. And they have a chip on their shoulder. Duke must hit shots to win this game.

GO DUKE!!!!

Bob Green
03-14-2008, 07:13 AM
We will need to play great defense the kind of defense that limited GT to 58 points on 37.7% shooting from the field in our regular season victory. Duke forced 20 GT turnovers and limited the Yellow Jackets to three assists.

On offense, we go with what worked all year: the drive and dish, and pick and pop. Hopefully, we shoot the ball better from downtown as we were 2-15 from 3-point land on Feb. 27th.

I'm predicting a 12 point Duke victory, but it will not be easy.

Slurpie King
03-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Duke will have no problem with Ga Tech as long as we can shut down Causey and Morrow. Anthony Morrow can run the fast break and set up for the jump shot in a split second. We have to stop the penetration to the hook with Causey cause he may kick it out to Morrow who can shoot the jumper. Also, Duke needs to come out with intensity and establish the tone the team wants to have for the tournament. If we come out looking sharp and maintain flawless basketball which is possible, the Tar Heels will have no chance since revenge will be on the minds for the defeat on senior night.

whereinthehellami
03-14-2008, 09:04 AM
There were alot of open looks on both sides of the ball last night. Duke should be able to reduce the number of open looks that GT sees with agressive man defense. GT was also effective getting into the lane last night. The tone of this game will be important and how it is called. Can Duke get some early charges against the penetration of GT? Duke needs to try and make GT shoot more from the outside and become more one dimensional. When GT is getting good penetration and open outside shots they are a very tough team to beat.

moonpie23
03-14-2008, 10:37 AM
duke better not even THINK about tomorrow....much less sunday. IF.....we get by tech, clemson will be a much tougher test tomorrow...

if we can't get by tech today, we're not gonna do much next week.

JBJL8
03-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Couldn't agree more Moonpie. Let's be honest folks...GT is playing better...good for them. There is no conceivable situation where losing this game would be anything other than a colossal choke on our part.

We're rested, focused and have something to prove after the UNC game and the debacle in the ACC tourney last year.

Let's go out, play our game (which has been an absolute pleasure to be a part of this year as a fan) and throttle these guys...

whereinthehellami
03-14-2008, 11:06 AM
I agree with the Moonpie also. This game will be an indicator of where Duke's toughness is at. Are they where they need to be at mentally? is the desire to shut GT down there? Will they make GT start their offense from midcourt all game long? Will they beat GT back down court every time. GT played yesterday, so there is no reason for Duke not to get most of the loose balls and hustle plays.

I'd love to see Duke destroy GT today. Just come out swinging and blow them out of the gym. Send a message to the basketball world.

soccerstud2210
03-14-2008, 11:32 AM
let's just hope we shoot a little better than we did in our last meeting with ga tech... we shot .133% from 3-point land, and shot .42% from the floor... Sheyer only has 6 pts too... if we play solid we can win easily... but ga tech is hot right now... they are 4-1 in the last 5 games.. and have nothing to loose...let's go duke!

Kilby
03-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Duke will have no problem with Ga Tech as long as we can shut down Causey and Morrow. Anthony Morrow can run the fast break and set up for the jump shot in a split second. We have to stop the penetration to the hook with Causey cause he may kick it out to Morrow who can shoot the jumper. Also, Duke needs to come out with intensity and establish the tone the team wants to have for the tournament. If we come out looking sharp and maintain flawless basketball which is possible, the Tar Heels will have no chance since revenge will be on the minds for the defeat on senior night.

In the last game Ga. Tech had Duke's number until Causey went down with his concussion. Duke needs to be able to play better defense on PG's without using Demarcus.

whereinthehellami
03-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Duke needs to be able to play better defense on PG's without using Demarcus.

Especially against teams with inconsistent backcourts. Miller looked pretty good last night but Duke needs to win that battle to win the war.

Troublemaker
03-14-2008, 02:03 PM
duke better not even THINK about tomorrow....much less sunday. IF.....we get by tech, clemson will be a much tougher test tomorrow...

if we can't get by tech today, we're not gonna do much next week.

I honestly don't think it matters that much. Duke could win the ACC tournament and lose in the round of 32. Duke could lose to GaTech and go to the Final Four. It really just depends on matchups and luck in the NCAA tourney. There's something to be said for confidence/momentum going into the tourney, of course, but ultimately, I'm much more interested in what teams will be in our bracket than how we fare in the ACC tourney as a predictor for how Duke will do in the NCAA tourney.

dukelifer
03-14-2008, 02:21 PM
In the last game Ga. Tech had Duke's number until Causey went down with his concussion. Duke needs to be able to play better defense on PG's without using Demarcus.
Tech may have had a one or two point lead- not sure I would call that having Duke's number.

juise
03-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Tech may have had a one or two point lead- not sure I would call that having Duke's number.

Tech had a one-point lead 4 times, the last being 19-18 with nine minutes left in the first half... 4 minutes later, Duke was up 30-19.

jipops
03-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Tech has a history of making serious noise in the tournament with mediocre teams. There were the '93 and '05 teams that both knocked off heavily favored UNC teams in the tournament.

This will be a very tough defensive matchup for us. GTech's offense is putting a lot of points on the board these days. Could an upset be looming?

Kilby
03-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech had a one-point lead 4 times, the last being 19-18 with nine minutes left in the first half... 4 minutes later, Duke was up 30-19.

And Duke was only up by six at the half. It seemed to me that Tech had the mo and Causey was very effective.

moonpie23
03-14-2008, 03:07 PM
I honestly don't think it matters that much. Duke could win the ACC tournament and lose in the round of 32. Duke could lose to GaTech and go to the Final Four. It really just depends on matchups and luck in the NCAA tourney. There's something to be said for confidence/momentum going into the tourney, of course, but ultimately, I'm much more interested in what teams will be in our bracket than how we fare in the ACC tourney as a predictor for how Duke will do in the NCAA tourney.

normally, i would agree, but i get the sense that we have been struggling in the last 5 or 6 games (not counting uva cause they suck) to establish the "flow" and "vibe" of the game the way we did in the first part of the season.

I'm not a coach, but i just feel like we need to make a statement game saying "we're back in form"..........whatever signal that might send...

Philadukie
03-14-2008, 04:19 PM
It really just depends on matchups and luck in the NCAA tourney.

No offense, but I respectfully disagree with this. I think I understand your point, but the way this is worded makes it sound like any team has just as much chance any other team. If that were the case, then we could just dispense with seeding and pull team names from a hat.

I would argue that, for the most part, the teams that make the Elite 8 and Final 4 are the teams that generally correspond the top of the rankings. In other words, cream, generally, floats. Of course, some teams, like a GW, will make an unforeseen run, and a team that's considered elite doesn't make it. But I'd put my money on the higher seeds to make the Final 4 every time.

With respect to Duke, we're 4-3 over our last 7 (and two free throws away from being 3-4). If we lose tonight, I would say, in accordance with some others, that this is a leading indicator of a weak performance in the Dance.

Troublemaker
03-14-2008, 04:35 PM
No offense, but I respectfully disagree with this. I think I understand your point, but the way this is worded makes it sound like any team has just as much chance any other team. If that were the case, then we could just dispense with seeding and pull team names from a hat.

I would argue that, for the most part, the teams that make the Elite 8 and Final 4 are the teams that generally correspond the top of the rankings. In other words, cream, generally, floats. Of course, some teams, like a GW, will make an unforeseen run, and a team that's considered elite doesn't make it. But I'd put my money on the higher seeds to make the Final 4 every time.

With respect to Duke, we're 4-3 over our last 7 (and two free throws away from being 3-4). If we lose tonight, I would say, in accordance with some others, that this is a leading indicator of a weak performance in the Dance.

No, I'm obviously not saying the tournament is completely random. Obviously, the good teams will fare better than less-good teams. But, obviously, the good teams with good matchups and good luck on their side will fare better than the good teams without those factors on their side.

I don't think a loss tonight matters that much. It's what I said before. I would much rather lose tonight and receive good matchups than win and receive bad matchups. The effect of doing well in the conference tourney (momentum) is much less than the effect of receiving good matchups in the NCAA tourney bracket. So, if we lose tonight but on Sunday receive a good bracket, I couldn't care less about the loss. But, obviously, all things being equal, I would rather win than lose.

Fish80
03-14-2008, 04:59 PM
No, I'm obviously not saying the tournament is completely random. Obviously, the good teams will fare better than less-good teams. But, obviously, the good teams with good match ups and good luck on their side will fare better than the good teams without those factors on their side.

I don't think a loss tonight matters that much. It's what I said before. I would much rather lose tonight and receive good match ups than win and receive bad match ups. The effect of doing well in the conference tourney (momentum) is much less than the effect of receiving good match ups in the NCAA tourney bracket. So, if we lose tonight but on Sunday receive a good bracket, I couldn't care less about the loss. But, obviously, all things being equal, I would rather win than lose.

How we do in the ACC tournament will impact our NCAA seed. Winning it all, with some others losing, and we're a one seed. Winning a couple, we're probably a two. Loose tonight and maybe a 3 seed. The match ups are much different for a one, two, or three seed. Tonight matters.

Troublemaker
03-14-2008, 05:07 PM
How we do in the ACC tournament will impact our NCAA seed. Winning it all, with some others losing, and we're a one seed. Winning a couple, we're probably a two. Loose tonight and maybe a 3 seed. The match ups are much different for a one, two, or three seed. Tonight matters.

Tonight most likely won't matter because Duke most likely will get a 2 seed anyway. Also, it's possible to get a better bracket as a 2 seed than a 1 seed. What we're really worried about is dropping to a 3 seed, so insofar as a win tonight would help secure at least a 2 seed, it matters. It just doesn't matter that much (imo).

imagepro
03-14-2008, 05:53 PM
I just hope this post season isn't ANYTHING like 07.......

imagepro
03-14-2008, 06:01 PM
"IT DOESN'T MATTER" ????? HUH? It DOES matter. To every one of these kids. Saying "it doesn't matter" is nothing but a preparatory statement for IF you lose. I can guarantee you not one person in the Duke locker room
"hopes we lose" tonight. Winning breeds confidence, and confidence breeds winning. (Has anyone said that before or do I have an original here?). Anyway, think not? Ask say, oh, Tiger Woods. He knows a little about winning, confidence and the mental aspect of the game. C'mon people, don't make excuses ahead of time.
It DOES matter...

Troublemaker
03-14-2008, 06:06 PM
"IT DOESN'T MATTER" ????? HUH? It DOES matter. To every one of these kids. Saying "it doesn't matter" is nothing but a preparatory statement for IF you lose. I can guarantee you not one person in the Duke locker room
"hopes we lose" tonight. Winning breeds confidence, and confidence breeds winning. (Has anyone said that before or do I have an original here?). Anyway, think not? Ask say, oh, Tiger Woods. He knows a little about winning, confidence and the mental aspect of the game. C'mon people, don't make excuses ahead of time.
It DOES matter...

Who said "I hope we lose?" Not me. Who said "The players don't care about this game." Not me. I said *I* don't care about it. And I don't. If you care, then bully for you.

imagepro
03-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Nice Trouble- Really. Definitely called for there. The more things change, the more they stay the same, huh? Anyway, I didn't say you said it didn't matter. That was not directed at you. Maybe that post was under yours and you thought I was talking about you. I have no idea. I also have no idea why you take offense. I'm sorry you are so sensitive to a point about winning.

I stand behind my feelings that winning DOES matter however, and that it breeds confidence. I wonder what Coach K would say to some reporter who says tonight after the game, should we lose, "That didn't matter Coach."
What do you think his reaction would be? That's my point, nothing more, nothing less. Relax and enjoy the game tonight, Troublemaker. Hopefully we will all wake up in the morning healthy and alive, win or lose.

Acymetric
03-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Would someone get that ACC singer out of here? Awful. that's all I can say. I hope nobody I know sees that. Ever.

ArtVandelay
03-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Yeah, what is it with that singer? Who watched that without laughing hysterically?

Also, bad times with Singler basically out for the half. Will be interesting to see how they play without him.

ambitiouspear
03-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Where is he?

feldspar
03-14-2008, 07:41 PM
I guess asking for a "whole new team" wasn't too much to ask, eh Jumbo?

WE LOOK GOOD, FOLKS!!!!

Troublemaker
03-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Where is he?

Kyle got two fouls in the first 30 seconds of the game. Been sitting since.

Clipsfan
03-14-2008, 07:42 PM
It looks like Dave and Brian have filled in for Singler nicely.

ArtVandelay
03-14-2008, 07:48 PM
K did a massive sub - brought in Dave, TK, Scheyer, and Nolan. We immediately went on a run. The reserves have all played well.

Duvall
03-14-2008, 07:53 PM
I guess asking for a "whole new team" wasn't too much to ask, eh Jumbo?

WE LOOK GOOD, FOLKS!!!!

Yeah, don't post this halfway through the first half.

feldspar
03-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah, don't post this halfway through the first half.

Notwithstanding your superstitiousness, we do look good. We look fresh, committed to D and fluid on offense. I like what I'm seeing, and I'm excited.

imagepro
03-14-2008, 08:09 PM
I thought we played with poise and purpose. When Tech cut it to 10, no sign of concern. We played under control and in focus. Paulus led us well. We boxed out as well as I've seen in sometime . But, there is still another half....

moonpie23
03-14-2008, 08:10 PM
we've had some good flow tonight so far.......they have to capitalize on ga tech being a little tired.... they are hustling on the boards....

lave lite is fired up... :)

ArtVandelay
03-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Did Gottlieb I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. about K not doing pre-halftime interviews? I thought I heard that, but I wasn't paying close attention, as per usual when he is talking.

_Gary
03-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Did Gottlieb I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. about K not doing pre-halftime interviews? I thought I heard that, but I wasn't paying close attention, as per usual when he is talking.

Yes. Just more of the same media hatred and bias. I'm so incredibly sick of these jabs at Duke and I wish someone like Bilas would call him out over the air. And yes, I'm very serious. This stuff needs to be addressed, and the only way it can be effectively addressed is for someone in a position of prominence to do it. Ignoring it will not make it go away. It needs to be dealt with head on at this point.

As for the game itself, the defense is excellent and the threes are going down. When those two things happen, we win and we win handily. Let's hope it continues for about 3 and half more weeks.

Coballs
03-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Gottlieb's act is getting old. So is Duke's habit of blowing big leads.

_Gary
03-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Are you kidding me? 17 points in less than 4 minutes? This is truly sad.

TheDuke11
03-14-2008, 08:36 PM
yeah really.
We were up 20, now we are up 3.
to a tired gt team.
and now my tv has stopped.

TheDuke11
03-14-2008, 08:39 PM
anyone elses hd go out by chance?

slower
03-14-2008, 08:40 PM
At this point, I can't imagine that reaching the Final Four is a realistic expectation. These kinds of collapses are all too frequent for this team.

_Gary
03-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Come on. The subtle bias continues with the comments about Duke being the best in the nation at exaggerating contact on 3 pointers in order to get to the line. Give me a break. God, will it never cease!

slower
03-14-2008, 08:50 PM
How many times must he get it shoved back in his face before he realizes he's not going to shoot over those guys?

Duvall
03-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Come on. The subtle bias continues with the comments about Duke being the best in the nation at exaggerating contact on 3 pointers in order to get to the line. Give me a break. God, will it never cease!

Probably after we stop doing that.

_Gary
03-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Probably after we stop doing that.

Ugh... Please don't tell me you think Scheyer shouldn't have gone to the line. That he somehow exaggerated that hit on his shooting arm.

Duvall
03-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Ugh... Please don't tell me you think Scheyer shouldn't have gone to the line. That he somehow exaggerated that hit on his shooting arm.

Not on *that* play, obviously. But Scheyer has exaggerated the impact on some threes this year.

TheDuke11
03-14-2008, 09:08 PM
without Scheyer this year we are probably 7-9 in the conference and on the bubble.
Seriously.
This kid is the most "heady" player I've ever seen.

slower
03-14-2008, 09:11 PM
without Scheyer this year we are probably 7-9 in the conference and on the bubble.
Seriously.

Can't we just clone him and play 5 Scheyers?

ice-9
03-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Seriously.

I love Scheyer -- he's absolutely critical to our team success -- but when I read your post I kept thinking about the Pittsburgh game. Scheyer taking a way-too-early half-court shot when he could have passed to two Dukies streaking to the basket. I know it's one play...but it's one big un-heady play.