PDA

View Full Version : "Duke's abusive fans"

glutton
03-12-2008, 02:28 AM
For those of you who don't regularly read the letters section of the Herald-Sun (and there's absolutely no reason to, believe me), this caught my attention. I was totally feeling all remorseful until I got to the last sentence and started laughing.

Duke's abusive fans

--------------------------

Here is the pre-game announcement at ACC varsity matches: "The University, Atlantic Coast Conference, and NCAA encourage and promote good sportsmanship by student-athletes, coaches, and spectators. We request your cooperation by supporting the participants and officials in a positive manner."

For several decades running, Duke University has received a free pass and this year, as always, ranks highest among colleges for abusive fan behavior.

The writer is a graduate and fan of the University of Connecticut.

JEFF DAVIDSON
Chapel Hill
March 11, 2008

heyman25
03-12-2008, 03:37 AM
Oh please. Move back to Storrs. The school that gives student thieves passes because they are good basketball players.

roywhite
03-12-2008, 07:37 AM
From a "U-Con" fan now living in Chapel Hill? Talk about being lost in the world.

weezie
03-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Who cares what he thinks?

VaDukie
03-12-2008, 08:36 AM
How did they even publish this garbage? Could they at least have required him to cite an example of 'abusive' behavior?

Edouble
03-12-2008, 08:39 AM
The writer is a graduate and fan of the University of Connecticut.

Why would he even include this information in his letter--it sucks up any shred of validity he may have had.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Why would he even include this information in his letter--it sucks up any shred of validity he may have had.
It is likely the newspaper's policy to provide such information about those whose letters to the editor are published.

The Durham Herald has been headed downhill since ownership changed a few years ago. The number of Herald subscribers has been declining while the number of subscribers to its competitor, the Raleigh N&O, has been steadily increasing.

Eckster
03-12-2008, 09:54 AM
I doubt this letter writer has spent any time in Cameron. I generally ignore things printed in the Herald-Sun anyway. In fact, I refuse to even register for online access as I don't even want them to get credit with advertisers for my reading their content.
Eckster

hurleyfor3
03-12-2008, 10:00 AM
It's a letter to the editor. Most edit page staffs go out of their way to include a few idiotic ones, just for giggles. We certainly did at The Chronicle.

CameronBornAndBred
03-12-2008, 10:12 AM
I doubt this letter writer has spent any time in Cameron. I generally ignore things printed in the Herald-Sun anyway. In fact, I refuse to even register for online access as I don't even want them to get credit with advertisers for my reading their content.
Eckster

Don't register. You don't have to, go here for access (http://www.bugmenot.com/view/www.heraldsun.com). Pretty handy to get around those pesky registrations on lots of web sites.

For several decades running, Duke University has received a free pass and this year, as always, ranks highest among colleges for abusive fan behavior.

Where does he get his rankings from? Cool to know we've been #1 for decades!

devildeac
03-12-2008, 07:54 PM
How did they even publish this garbage? Could they at least have required him to cite an example of 'abusive' behavior?

1. It's the herald-sun, they'll apparently publish anything(see lacrosse coverage)
2. Nah, that would be responsible journalism
3. Remember, I think they are kentucky owned and have supported the holes for decades

SharkD
03-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Why even give this dreck attention?

The Herald-Sun is (as of 2004) owned by a privately-held (corrupt) family business, Paxton Media, which is widely considered the worst newspaper business in the country. They openly flaunt their staunchly pro-GOP stance in their papers; recently using them as a platform to elect a family member to prominence in Kentucky.

Paxton fired half the Herald-Sun staff, including Al Featherston, they day they took over, turning the profitable $115 million paper into a shell of its former self, with nearly half of its 2004 circulation by the end of 2007.

The editorial board axed any and all local columns in favor of anonymous pronouncements and moronic letters to the editor.

The paper has entirely ignored at least one regular season Duke basketball game this year (they didn't even mention that it took place).

The online registration form requires your telephone number, so that they can call you 2-3 times a month to beg you to subscribe.

They knew the lacrosse case was malarky, yet continued to publish the false allegations, even after the case was dismissed.

dukegirlinsc
03-13-2008, 11:03 AM
But it's okay for other schools to chant "F*** You".

Love it.

captmojo
03-14-2008, 11:10 AM
I forget the exact quote, also who it was attributed to, but I do remember about an official who used to work both ACC and SEC tournaments. He was asked to relate the major differences between the two, and he replied that when you leave the court, following a game in the SEC, they throw cheap beer on you, but walking off after an ACC tourney game, they spill good liquor on you. :D