PDA

View Full Version : Roy doesn't care about the ACC Tournament.....

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 12:40 PM
and wishes UNC didn't have to play in it.

"In my mind the ACC Tourney is one of those "necessary evils". I really don't care if we win it, but at the same time I don't want to lose to any other teams. I honestly wish we could somehow opt to not participate, I wouldn't care what other team fans would say."

Roy without the ACC Tournament the ACC wouldn't be what it is now. If you don't want to be there go ahead and lose your first game. So you can go home, and let the teams that want to be the official champ of the ACC try and win it. Get out of here with that weaksauce.

EarlJam
03-11-2008, 12:51 PM
and wishes UNC didn't have to play in it.

"In my mind the ACC Tourney is one of those "necessary evils". I really don't care if we win it, but at the same time I don't want to lose to any other teams. I honestly wish we could somehow opt to not participate, I wouldn't care what other team fans would say."

Roy without the ACC Tournament the ACC wouldn't be what it is now. If you don't want to be there go ahead and lose your first game. So you can go home, and let the teams that want to be the official champ of the ACC try and win it. Get out of here with that weaksauce.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgghghghghk!

WHAT A RICHARD!

Seriously, how could you disrespect the nation's most esteemed college tournament like that? Especially if you coach UNC or any team on Tobacco Road?

Dang it Roy! Just dang it to heck!

Frickin' unreal.

-EarlJam

FerryFor50
03-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Sounds like he's trying to lower expectations for what is sure to be an early exit from the ACC tourny.

"I didn't wanna win that dadgum thing anyway."

Soooo sick of the "aw shucks" song and dance.

bjornolf
03-11-2008, 12:54 PM
He's just channeling Brendan Haywood.

OldPhiKap
03-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Well, we know that he doesn't give a s#!t about Carolina so this should not be a surprise.

cspan37421
03-11-2008, 12:58 PM
I think I was a 10th grader in 1983 when NCSU faced the necessity of winning the ACC tournament just to get invited to the NCAA tournament. They did, and in so doing, became a Cinderella team even before winning the first of their NCAA games. Just a few weeks later, of course, they became (arguably) the ultimate Cinderella team in winning it all.

It is sad, though, that if you finish 5-12 in the ACC regular season, you've got to win 4 games in 4 days to win it, and for most of those teams, they'd need to perform that virtually impossible feat just to get in the NCAA tournament. For most of the season, teams average about 2 games a week, or 3.5 days/game. A 1/1 ratio for 4 straight days is ridiculous, and another unfortunate result of league expansion.

Point is, I miss that about the ACC tournament. That the 8th place team, or some other also-ran can still "win the lottery" by winning the ACC tournament (3 in 3 days, still quite a task, but IMO, 4 in 4 is a LOT more than 33% harder).

I don't blame Roy for the attitude he takes, his team is likely to be a #1 seed in the NCAAs regardless, and when your season has been that good, and presumably it means you have that kind of likelihood of winning it all, I can see why you'd set your sights on the NCAAs and pretty much feel that you've already proven yourself as far as the ACC is concerned. But as is true for most of us speaking off the cuff, he could have said it better.

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 01:04 PM
But as is true for most of us speaking off the cuff, he could have said it better.

He could have kept it to himself and not let it out in public. No matter if he was trying or not he came off acting like his team and himself was bigger than the ACC Tournament, and without the Tournament the ACC would never be as big as it is today. It's still the tournament that as kids our teachers stopped class *if we were unfortunate to be in school that qtr fri* and show the games instead of teach, or we would skip school just to sit at home and watch on tv, or go to the games themselves. Sorry I could see someone at FSU, Miami, VT, or even BC saying that....but a founding member institution shouldn't be airing that out in the media not to mention a Big 4 team. Funny thing is if they slip up they might lose that #1 seed in Charlotte to Tenn if they aren't careful. I'd try and not let the suspense happen and just go out and win the thing. Especially this year with what is potentially at stake.

Classof06
03-11-2008, 01:12 PM
He could have kept it to himself and not let it out in public. No matter if he was trying or not he came off acting like his team and himself was bigger than the ACC Tournament, and without the Tournament the ACC would never be as big as it is today. It's still the tournament that as kids our teachers stopped class *if we were unfortunate to be in school that qtr fri* and show the games instead of teach, or we would skip school just to sit at home and watch on tv, or go to the games themselves. Sorry I could see someone at FSU, Miami, VT, or even BC saying that....but a founding member institution shouldn't be airing that out in the media not to mention a Big 4 team. Funny thing is if they slip up they might lose that #1 seed in Charlotte to Tenn if they aren't careful. I'd try and not let the suspense happen and just go out and win the thing. Especially this year with what is potentially at stake.

Exactly, Roy could have kept this to himself. When you're the coach of arguably the league's most recognizable team, a flagship team no less, it just doesn't look good to say you really don't care about the conference tournament, one of the biggest events the conference holds. Especially in a conference like the ACC with such an illustrious history.

All I have to say is, can you imagine what ACC fans and the media would be saying if it was Krzyzewski that said this instead of Roy?

Twigmas
03-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Roy says this every year. I don't agree with him, but this is hardly new.

DukeDevilDeb
03-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Exactly, Roy could have kept this to himself. When you're the coach of arguably the league's most recognizable team, a flagship team no less, it just doesn't look good to say you really don't care about the conference tournament, one of the biggest events the conference holds. Especially in a conference like the ACC with such an illustrious history.

All I have to say is, can you imagine what ACC fans and the media would be saying if it was Krzyzewski that said this instead of Roy?

This is not Roy's first dissing of the ACC tournament. Usually, he saves saying for teams that he is certain are not going to win the ACC. He certainly said it in 2005. Also, if you look back at past champions since 1999, UNC has taken itself out of the tournament (with the exception of last year).

Look at these stats

YEAR WIN Runner up Location MVP
1999 Duke North Carolina Charlotte Coliseum Elton Brand, Duke
2000 Duke Maryland Charlotte Coliseum Jason Williams, Duke
2001 Duke North Carolina Georgia Dome Shane Battier, Duke
2002 Duke NC State Charlotte Coliseum Carlos Boozer, Duke
2003 Duke NC State Greensboro Coliseum Daniel Ewing, Duke
2004 MD Duke Greensboro Coliseum John Gilchrist, Maryland
2005 Duke Georgia Tech MCI Center J.J. Redick, Duke
2006 Duke Boston College Greensboro Coliseum J.J. Redick, Duke
2007 UNC NC State St. Pete Times Forum Brandan Wright, UNC

If there is anyone, anywhere who doesn't believe that Duke has been the major force in college basketball over the last decade, please send him or her this. :p

sagegrouse
03-11-2008, 01:53 PM

This is an incredible comment from someone like Roy Williams. The 12 athletic departments in the ACC are rivals but, in truth, business partners. The ACC basketball tournament is the signature event in the entire year and a huge money-maker for the conference and the schools.

Roy's comments are impossibly naive for someone who has been around the ACC as long as he has. They are harmful to the conference and UNC but also are potentially discouraging to both his team and the UNC fans.

He has a different personality from Gary Williams, but like his namesake, both seem to say whatever comes to mind, no matter how inappropriate.

sagegrouse

Devil07
03-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Is there a link for this or was it something you heard? After the whole K "injury" farce I figure I'll withhold judgment until I know for a fact that he said this. Although given his past comments I certainly wouldn't be shocked.

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Is there a link for this or was it something you heard? After the whole K "injury" farce I figure I'll withhold judgment until I know for a fact that he said this. Although given his past comments I certainly wouldn't be shocked.

http://www.charlotte.com/hoops/story/531130.html

Charlotte Observer cleaned it up a tad. The link I did have for that is now dead or has been "replaced."

It was on IC but can't seem to find it now. After futher review a poster said that and had " by his post and now the " are gone.......take it for what its worth I guess?

The quote that is on IC now reads as follows......"“Well, it’s the same thing I’ve said every year. It’s a great cocktail party, a big party for all of the fans and the whole bit, but growing up here in North Carolina, the ACC Tournament is the granddaddy of all of the tournaments. It means a great deal, and at the same time, we can’t put all of our loaves in this basket because we have accomplished enough during the regular season that we know we’re going to be playing after this week. But it’s something that I continue to have mixed emotions about, but it’s a wonderful, wonderful thing and we have to play, and so by golly, we’re going to try to do the best we possibly can to win it and it was fun winning it last year.” http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/736250.html

Bob Green
03-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Coach Williams has said the same thing in the past. The linked Charlotte Observer article contains the following quote:

"It's the same thing I've said every year," Williams said Monday during the ACC coaches' teleconference.

In the past, I've read that Coach Smith also disliked the ACCT, but I do not have a link to support that claim, only my sometimes feeble memory.

Devil07
03-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks for updating that. My guess is that a lot of coaches feel that way but have the good sense to keep that sentiment to themselves. Of course keeping his opinion to himself has never really been Roy's strong suit...

4decadedukie
03-11-2008, 02:45 PM
I would be willing to wager that the majority of top financial contributors to UNC/CH athletics (alums and boosters) care more about the ACC Tournament than about the NCAAs (except, possibly, if a team makes it to the Final Four). If I'm correct, then Coach Williams' annual statement is hypercritical; he is compelled to care because the Athletic Department's economic base passionately cares.

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks for updating that.

Hey no problem. I wanted to make sure I got it right instead of heresay. I hated those "back injury" rumors with K and all the like as well.

Susan
03-11-2008, 03:01 PM
To be fair to Roy (as if I really cared about being fair to him :) )
On Inside Carolina, that exact original quote is written by a poster, but does not seem to be attributed to Roy anywhere. So who really said it? Are you saying it was originally in quotes and in the charlotte.com article?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=2171752&sto=pagestart

wow, it's been a long time since I've posted here. Nice to be back.

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 03:03 PM
To be fair to Roy (as if I really cared about being fair to him :) )
On Inside Carolina, that exact original quote is written by a poster, but does not seem to be attributed to Roy anywhere. So who really said it? Are you saying it was originally in quotes and in the charlotte.com article?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=2171752&sto=pagestart

wow, it's been a long time since I've posted here. Nice to be back.

It had quotes originally but now the quote has been took away.

GMR
03-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Although readers are not going to like this comment, I agree with him. I do believe, however, he was not smart in making this comment publicly.

I think three games, back to back, if it comes to that, will thoroughly drain Duke's gas tank, if it's not already empty. If it is on empty, as it was last year at this time, we won't see the light of day past Friday.

GMR

Bob Green
03-11-2008, 04:13 PM
From a physical fitness perspective, I do not believe the ACCT will have any adverse effect on our (our Carolina's) players. These young men are elite athletes and they can run and jump and play all day. I would be willing to bet many college basketball players go to the gym and workout after games.

From a mental perspective, the ACCT might have some drain on the players. I don't think so, however, I am willing to admit the possibility.

weezie
03-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Hey, Roy! If you don't care about the ACC tournament, can I have your tickets?

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Hey, Roy! If you don't care about the ACC tournament, can I have your tickets?

LOL!!!!!

RelativeWays
03-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Roy isn't the only coach that feels that way, and this year it may be a little more justifiable since his team isn't as deep and injuries have been an issue. You don't want Lawson to retweek that ankle during the ACC tournament. Dean Smith also did not like the tournament, stating it was much harder to win the regular season and a much bigger accomplishment, whereas any team can get lucky for 3 days (now 4 for some).

However, it should be noted that each time we won the NC, we played in the ACC tournament finals, winning twice. I think conference tournaments can tire out a team, or they can galvanize them for the NCAA tourney run.

DevilWolf
03-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Evidently he doesn't care about the Final Four either.

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Evidently he doesn't care about the Final Four either.

True.....he's a 2nd rd or Elite Eight type of man.

oli-p
03-11-2008, 08:03 PM
True.....he's a 2nd rd or Elite Eight type of man.

Really? Then what is Coach K? A first round kind of guy. The ACC tournament only matters for teams that need wins to get in. It counted back in the day when only the winner went to the tournament and now it is simply redundant for the best programs. It cheapens the regular season. Only the NCAA's count. 2005 is a prime example. Do you think that team ever thinks about not winning the conference tournament? I doubt it.

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Really? Then what is Coach K? A first round kind of guy.

Well I seem to remember on the biggest of stages K sent Roy home with a big fat L on a certain Monday night back in April of 91. Also got 2 more titles than Mr Aww Shucks, and many more FF's, and league titles. Also doesn't cut nets down for a reg season title, and then act like the tournament title *which is the one recognized by the ACC as the official crown* is hardly worth his time. "But dagumit!!!!! We sure are gonna try!!!!"

Btw K has only lost in the first rd twice in his career. Nice try.

oli-p
03-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Well I seem to remember on the biggest of stages K sent Roy home with a big fat L on a certain Monday night back in April of 91. Also got 2 more titles than Mr Aww Shucks, and many more FF's, and league titles. Also doesn't cut nets down for a reg season title, and then act like the tournament title *which is the one recognized by the ACC as the official crown* is hardly worth his time. "But dagumit!!!!! We sure are gonna try!!!!"

Btw K has only lost in the first rd twice in his career. Nice try.

Only twice? Is that all? I am not sure how many times Roy has lost in the first round. I would bet it isn't 2. How are you going to feel about all of this when Coach K retires with winning records only against Grutheridge and Matt D at Carolina? In addition on the 2 more titles comment. Give Roy time, they are coming. And they are both coming sooner than Coach K's next one.

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Only twice? Is that all? I am not sure how many times Roy has lost in the first round. I would bet it isn't 2. How are you going to feel about all of this when Coach K retires with winning records only against Grutheridge and Matt D at Carolina? In addition on the 2 more titles comment. Give Roy time, they are coming. And they are both coming sooner than Coach K's next one.

I'm not going to feel nothing, because #1 K isn't done, and #2 you got any proof Roy is going to take home the bacon again before K? I mean the NCAA Tournament hasn't even started and now you got him penciled in to get a title? Might want to remind Roy there is timeouts that you can actually use in basketball if you want to make a FF much less win it. When Roy gets 3 titles I will listen to you until then it's not worth the hassle. Roy has a NC but so does Joe B Hall, and Rollie Massimino.

VaDukie
03-11-2008, 08:38 PM

I like my trolls angry and unable to spell the names of former coaches (Guthridge and Doherty).

1. I highly doubt Roy will pass K in the head to head record if we include the Kansas years where K gave Roy a whooping.

2. As much as you guys like to beat up on Guthridge and Doherty, the fact is our teams were loaded in that era. You guys can hide behind them all you want, but the fact is those Duke teams owned the ACC.

3. I guess we'll just have to take your word for it when it comes to Roy winning titles. I think his track record in the tournament is not overtly impressive, but who knows, miracles happen every day.

4. Indeed you are correct sir, Roy doesn't have any 1st round exits. However, he does make up for it with 7 2nd round losses.

oli-p
03-11-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm not going to feel nothing, because #1 K isn't done, and #2 you got any proof Roy is going to take home the bacon again before K? I mean the NCAA Tournament hasn't even started and now you got him penciled in to get a title? Might want to remind Roy there is timeouts that you can actually use in basketball if you want to make a FF much less win it. When Roy gets 3 titles I will listen to you until then it's not worth the hassle. Roy has a NC but so does Joe B Hall, and Rollie Massimino.

Actually, I don't have him penciled in for this year. I have no idea if Carolina is going to win it this year or not. UNC has a good shot. What I do know is that Duke isn't going to win it this year. How do I know that? When I found out that Lawson wasn't playing in the first game, I bet on Duke to win. We need Lawson to be a top team. However, once I knew that Lawson was going to play in Cameron, I bet even more heavily on Carolina and the under. If Duke doesn't light it up from three, they can't win and with no good big man coming and no true point guard, the recent trend will continue. And yes, I am confident that Roy will win more national championships before he retires.

FerryFor50
03-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Actually, I don't have him penciled in for this year. I have no idea if Carolina is going to win it this year or not. UNC has a good shot. What I do know is that Duke isn't going to win it this year. How do I know that? When I found out that Lawson wasn't playing in the first game, I bet on Duke to win. We need Lawson to be a top team. However, once I knew that Lawson was going to play in Cameron, I bet even more heavily on Carolina and the under. If Duke doesn't light it up from three, they can't win and with no good big man coming and no true point guard, the recent trend will continue. And yes, I am confident that Roy will win more national championships before he retires.

I bet you were sweating it out when the Devils took a 2 point lead late in the game and had several wide open looks at shots.

I wouldn't bet on UNC winning much of anything this year.

FerryFor50
03-11-2008, 08:51 PM
I would like to know what motivates a Carolina fan to come to a Duke forum in the first place.

I mean, everyone is welcome, I assume, but why come to a place where you have so little in common with people?

Second, why come to a Duke forum and try to argue (fruitlessly, I might add) about UNC being better than Duke, defending your coach and fighting a losing battle with people who simply will not agree with you unless you can present facts. And Roy hasn't earned enough street cred, titles, wins or Final Four appearances to even be mentioned in the same breath as the Dean Smiths, Coach K's, Bobby Knights, etc of the game.

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 08:52 PM

Congrats on joining most of the rational people in the world and thinking Duke might not win the NC this year. We weren't expected to, but we weren't expected to make UNC "sweat" out the ACC Reg Season either. We got a split, and wow you have Duke all figured out. It's 3's or bust? Then how in the heck did we beat Georgia Tech clanking all night from the outside? Oh wait it was the refs fault wasn't it?

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 08:54 PM
I like my trolls angry and unable to spell the names of former coaches (Guthridge and Doherty).

1. I highly doubt Roy will pass K in the head to head record if we include the Kansas years where K gave Roy a whooping.

2. As much as you guys like to beat up on Guthridge and Doherty, the fact is our teams were loaded in that era. You guys can hide behind them all you want, but the fact is those Duke teams owned the ACC.

3. I guess we'll just have to take your word for it when it comes to Roy winning titles. I think his track record in the tournament is not overtly impressive, but who knows, miracles happen every day.

4. Indeed you are correct sir, Roy doesn't have any 1st round exits. However, he does make up for it with 7 2nd round losses.

Case closed.

Cameron
03-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Well I guess Roy doesn't care about the ACC at all then, because, last I checked, the ACC Tournament Champion is THE ACC Champion.

If my calculations are correct, then that would mean Carolina has won exactly ONE ACC Championship in a decade. No wonder the program so infamously speaks out against the Grand Daddy. They s*ck in it.

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Well I guess Roy doesn't care about the ACC at all then, because, last I checked, the ACC Tournament Champion is THE ACC Champion.

If my calculations are correct, then that would mean Carolina has won exactly ONE ACC Championship in a decade. No wonder the program so infamously speaks out against the Grand Daddy. They s*ck in it.

Exactly and part of the reason the tourney lost importance *esp to UNC fans, and their coaches* is because of UNC. Dean Smith made up the "regular season champion" garbage to help make himself look better when he choked in the tournament. Unfortunately, it's gotten to the point of being legitimately recognized, accepted, and passed off as truth.

ArkieDukie
03-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgghghghghk!

WHAT A RICHARD!

Seriously, how could you disrespect the nation's most esteemed college tournament like that? Especially if you coach UNC or any team on Tobacco Road?

Dang it Roy! Just dang it to heck!

Frickin' unreal.

-EarlJam

Well put, EarlJam. I love the way you channeled Ole Roy on the response. Sounds to me like he isn't overly concerned about getting his team motivated to win. Should be easy to take 'em out if that's the case.

dukie8
03-11-2008, 11:15 PM
I would be willing to wager that the majority of top financial contributors to UNC/CH athletics (alums and boosters) care more about the ACC Tournament than about the NCAAs (except, possibly, if a team makes it to the Final Four). If I'm correct, then Coach Williams' annual statement is hypercritical; he is compelled to care because the Athletic Department's economic base passionately cares.

who are these mysterious people who care more about the acct than the ncaat??? i never have heard of someone who pays even an iota of attention to college basketball who cares more about a meaningless conference tournament than the national championship tournament.

everyone is slamming roy on here but he has a very valid point. the only reason why there is an acct is to make more money. the pac-10 resisted having a tournament for a long time but eventually gave in to the money aspect. it never will happen but i would prefer getting rid of it and using the regular season to determine the acc champion (like the ivy league does). winning 6 games in a row is hard enough. winning 9 games in a row is even harder. i would prefer duke to lose on friday and be well rested, mentally and physically, for a long run in the ncaat, than for duke to play 3 extremely taxing games in 3 days and then fall flat on their faces in the ncaat. sound familiar?

i have asked this before on here and i'll ask it again. does anyone actually think that unc's 2005 season somehow was tarnished or lessened because they failed to win the acct? does anyone even care? what about duke getting killed in the acct final in 1991?