PDA

View Full Version : Who were your top 10 least favorite Carolina players?

FerryFor50
03-11-2008, 01:56 AM
With all the talk about whether Jerry Stackhouse and Rasheed Wallace are "stand up guys," it got me thinking about how many Carolina players I have pretty much despised over the years. Honestly, I could come up with more than 10. But here are mine:

10. Kris Lang - He was Hansbrough before there was Hansbrough. Big, horse-faced, clumsy, travelling white dude. Difference is, he's much less talented than Hansbrough, so he's also farther down this list. But his attitude stunk and he was on a UNC team that faced Duke in its down years.

9. Jason Capel - He was the "evil" Capel. Always scowling. Showing off after dunks. Dirty fouls. Where are you now, evil Capel? Oh, announcing basketball games. Great. Another UNC-biased commentator.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Capel

8. Dante Calabria - Stinkin, runty little Italian guy. Always hit the dagger three. Also was a hit with the ladies. Mostly hated him for his successes. And his stupid haircut. :p

7. Mahktar N'diaye - Hard to hate someone as bad at the game as he was, but he was just a downright mean guy. Dirty player, always trying to start trouble. Plus, his name conjures up images of Worf from "Star Trek: Next Generation."

http://www.emse.fr/~yukna/WOIf/worf.jpg

6. JR Reid - Ah, kickin' it old school. I remember the dumb flat top and the thuggish style of play. Then I remember him thugging it out even more in the NBA. Maybe the "JR can't read" chants got to him...

5. Joe Forte - Cocky, classless. Thought he was a WAY better player than he really was (though he wasn't bad). Poor work ethic. Ball hog. Only redeeming value - he was a dud in the NBA. Welcome to irrelvance, Joe. Population: you.

4. Vince Carter - Tremendous leaper. Also a tremendous jerk. Volatile personality. Also tanked a season on purpose to get traded from Toronto.

3. Rashad McCants - Some defend his work ethic, but to me, when you sell out a coach who loved his school as much as Matt Doherty loved his school, then you suck. Poor attitude, appeared to play when he "felt like it", poor teammate, and ball hog. Maybe he's maturing now... but it's easy to be mature when you get shots and minutes in the obscurity of Minnesota. If that team ever gets better, and McCants finds out that you need to play defense to stay in a rotation, we'll see how mature he's become.

2. Rasheed Wallace - The tantrums. The whining. The constant "who me?" expressions. The funny little bald spot. The occasional laissez-faire approach to the college game. The arrests. The verbal threats to players and refs. Playing for the JailBlazers, then the Pistons. Acting like a jerk to me in Sears in Durham. Yea, I have a lot of reasons not to like this dude. It didn't help that he was a great player and always had his best games against Duke. You hate to see jerks like that succeed.

1. Jerry "Mortal Kombat" Stackhouse - Same kind of attitude as 'Sheed, but tended to have more bite than bark. Has been in more fights (at least 4) than all-star games (2). Dirty, dirty player who also whines about OTHER players playing dirty. There's a reason he's been traded so many times - because he's an azz. It was basically a toss up between him and 'Sheed.

Dis-honorable mention:
Shammond Williams
Donald Williams
Jeff McInnis
Rick Fox
Brendan Haywood
Julius Peppers (who I happen to like as a football player)
Hansbrough (plays too hard to hate too much)
Danny Green (working his way up the list)

Lotus000
03-11-2008, 02:04 AM
7. Mahktar N'diaye - Hard to hate someone as bad at the game as he was, but he was just a downright mean guy. Dirty player, always trying to start trouble. Plus, his name conjures up images of Worf from "Star Trek: Next Generation."

That made me laugh out loud.

I don't see how Hansbrough can't make a top ten 'Most Hated' list even though he's a more recent player.

Are we talking about hating them because they're dirty and mean, or hating them because they're good and play for UNC?

FerryFor50
03-11-2008, 02:09 AM
That made me laugh out loud.

I don't see how Hansbrough can't make a top ten 'Most Hated' list even though he's a more recent player.

Are we talking about hating them because they're dirty and mean, or hating them because they're good and play for UNC?

Take your pick. You can hate em for whatever reason. Heck, I hated Calabria because chicks dug him. :p

As for Hansbrough, he's working his way up the list for me, but he plays his butt off, so it's tough to hate him too much. Plus I know he'll flame out in the NBA. :D

Capn Poptart
03-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Matt Doherty.

Hated his cocky butt as a player.

But loved the turmoil that same cockiness sowed as a coach. ;)

barjwr
03-11-2008, 08:41 AM
In no particular order:

Jeff McInnis
Rashad McCants
Shammond Williams
Rasheed Wallace
Kris Lang
Jason Capel
Joseph Forte
Rick Fox
Brendan Haywood
Makhtar Ndiaye--I did a Google search to ensure accurate spelling and came across a story I hadn't heard of before--he sued an airline for giving him ice for his back that ultimately ran him out of basketball?!?!? Idiot.

http://carolinasucks.com/images/rsmakhtarndiaye.htm

I agree that Danny Green is climbing the list--did anyone notice if he did his ridiculous dance before the game in Cameron?

yancem
03-11-2008, 09:01 AM
In no particular order:

Makhtar Ndiaye--I did a Google search to ensure accurate spelling and came across a story I hadn't heard of before--he sued an airline for giving him ice for his back that ultimately ran him out of basketball?!?!? Idiot.

http://carolinasucks.com/images/rsmakhtarndiaye.htm

I agree that Danny Green is climbing the list--did anyone notice if he did his ridiculous dance before the game in Cameron?

I also looked up his name for another thread and came across the same article. Hilarious!

Makhtar Ndiaye definitely leads my list (I'm more in the hate them because their behavior character than because they are good and play for UNC)

The rest of my list in no particular order:
Rasheed Wallace
Jeff McInnis
Rashad McCants
JR Reid
Danny Green

These fall more into the whinny or weren't that good unless they were playing Duke Category:
Scott Williams
King Rice

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 09:05 AM
I always called Hacktar a Milk Dud.

10. Kris Lang *dude sucked and that mouth piece got on my last nerve*
9. Jerry Stackhouse *too much showboating*
8. Vince Carter *wasn't known as a trash talker in HS but turned out to be*
7. Brian Bersticker *grabbing your crotch after a dunk ticked me off to no end*
6. Rick Fox
5. Jeff McInnis *dude was a thug*
4. Jason Capel *a moronic idiot that ran his mouth even when his team sucked*
3. Danny Green *poppin yo jersey after a school showed class is pathetic and so is your dancing*
2. Rasheed Wallace *primo trash talker and glad he never got a title*
*1. Makhtar N'Diaye *dirty player, lied about a racial slur, stabbed his hear in front of the K family at the 98 ACC Final*
*1. JR Reid *dude was overrated and Ferry out played him most of his career, but ran his mouth. Thank god he never got a title either.*

Udaman
03-11-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm assuming he's not on any of these lists thanks to his position in the Hall of Fame of Carolina Punk Players?

FerryFor50
03-11-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm assuming he's not on any of these lists thanks to his position in the Hall of Fame of Carolina Punk Players?

I tried to edit my post to include him on my dishonorable mentions, but you can't edit after 15 minutes. Boo!

I also wanted to add Jawad Williams. And man, I had forgotten all about Brian Bersticker.

Edouble
03-11-2008, 09:27 AM
10. Kris Lang: No talent, insisted on calling Shane "the golden boy". Skills deteriorated as his career went on. Made a mouthguard obnoxious.

9. Brendan Haywood: A 7-footer who could play 25 minutes and get no rebounds. An insult to the great players that Carolina has had over the years when he got a triple double with blocks by basically just holding up his hands. After the fact, boldly claims he predicted Duke's loss at UHall in 2001, as it's such a tough place to play, then UNC promptly loses at UHall themselves a week later.

8. Jason Capel: Claimed at the beginning of his senior season that he was going to be a first round NBA Draft pick. Ha ha ha

7. Jeff McGinnis: A+ whining after a hard foul by Jay Heaps in the '96 game in Cameron. Incredibly divisive hot-head.

6. Ed Cota: Claimed Will Avery wasn't that hard to guard, a few days later Avery puts up 25 points on the guy. Whined for the rest of his career about how good they'd be if "'Tawn and Vince hadn't left". Got out of shape and got a gut his senior year, when he was athletic enough to go pro if he'd worked on his shot instead of working on so many pizzas and burgers.

5. Tyler Hansbrough: Likes to dish out the punishment but can't take it--initiates more contact than anyone, then acts like he'll fight anyone who steps in the paint.

4. Shamond Williams: Good to cry in basketball if it's your after your last game and they have to pull the uniform off of you. Bad to cry if it's in the tunnel before the game. Also, attacked Krzyzewskiville campers.

3. Danny Green: Made the list the first time I saw his lame dance. Jersey pull three days ago is an "instant no-classic"

2. J.R. Reid: Disturbing lack of literacy for a college (well, UNC) student.

1. Maktar N'diaye: Easily tops the list for me. Amazing that this guy worked his way through three quality programs (Wake, Michigan, UNC). The very definition of "no class".

gethlives
03-11-2008, 09:57 AM
As much as this list amuses me, since your top ten most hated Carolina players, nicely corresponds with some of my all time favorites, I am completely bewildered why Danny Green popping his jersey teed people off so much. I have never understood why folks found people doing this disrespectful. If anything it is a very team oriented thing to do--pointing to the name of your school on the front rather than the name on the back.

Note I didn't find it disrespectful at all for Maryland players to celebrate wildly on the court at Carolina when they won and if they had wanted to pop their jerseys--more power to them.

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 10:01 AM
As much as this list amuses me, since your top ten most hated Carolina players, nicely corresponds with some of my all time favorites, I am completely bewildered why Danny Green popping his jersey teed people off so much. I have never understood why folks found people doing this disrespectful. If anything it is a very team oriented thing to do--pointing to the name of your school on the front rather than the name on the back.

Note I didn't find it disrespectful at all for Maryland players to celebrate wildly on the court at Carolina when they won and if they had wanted to pop their jerseys--more power to them.

I cringed when Bucknell and a few other low majors in the NCAA's started the trend, but at least it was a small school getting on the map and getting pub for their school. UNC doesn't need the pub and Green IMO was acting classless. We get it you won the game. You were #1 in the nation going into the game and everyone knows who UNC is. No need for that IMO. I thought Vasquez even if it was kinda funny mouthing off to UNC fans was in bad taste as well. Why ire the fans of a opposing team especially in their arena? You could start a fight or riot.

FerryFor50
03-11-2008, 10:02 AM

I've always been a proponent of the "act like you've been there before" credo. Yea, you won. Isn't that what was supposed to happen?

Popping the front of the jersey doesn't mean "hey, look at my school." It's a fad and a way to showboat.

And for me, it's not just the jersey pop. It's the post game comments about Paulus after he dunked on him, and how he hopes he makes Sportscenter. Yea, real team oriented there.

EarlJam
03-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Without hesitation.........

-EJ

FerryFor50
03-11-2008, 10:28 AM
http://www.carolinasucks.com/pn/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=20

http://carolinasucks.com/images/rsrasheedwallace.htm

Guess choking women is the new UNC rage...

CLT Devil
03-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Don't forget about Donald Williams. I never saw a player look so incredulous after being called for a foul.

Also Ademole Okaliga (sp) - Something about the mouthpeice. Hard to hate him for his three point shooting which was somewhere around 10%...he bricked a few in Cameron.

FerryFor50
03-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Don't forget about Donald Williams. I never saw a player look so incredulous after being called for a foul.

Also Ademole Okaliga (sp) - Something about the mouthpeice. Hard to hate him for his three point shooting which was somewhere around 10%...he bricked a few in Cameron.

D-Will made the dis-honorable list.

I was neutral on Okulaja.

Matches
03-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Rasheed Wallace was the worst for me - I absolutely could not stand that guy. Still can't.

The rest of my list (with the caveat that I'm sure I'm forgetting someone):

2. Mahktar N'diaye
3. Rashad McCants
4. Warren Martin
5. J.R. Reid
6. Brendan Haywood
7. Jason Capel
8. Kris Lang
9. Jeff Lebo
10. Ed Cota

The Gordog
03-11-2008, 11:05 AM
With all the talk about whether Jerry Stackhouse and Rasheed Wallace are "stand up guys," it got me thinking about how many Carolina players I have pretty much despised over the years. Honestly, I could come up with more than 10. But here are mine:

10. Kris Lang - He was Hansbrough before there was Hansbrough. Big, horse-faced, clumsy, travelling white dude. Difference is, he's much less talented than Hansbrough, so he's also farther down this list. But his attitude stunk and he was on a UNC team that faced Duke in its down years.

9. Jason Capel - He was the "evil" Capel. Always scowling. Showing off after dunks. Dirty fouls. Where are you now, evil Capel? Oh, announcing basketball games. Great. Another UNC-biased commentator.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Capel

8. Dante Calabria - Stinkin, runty little Italian guy. Always hit the dagger three. Also was a hit with the ladies. Mostly hated him for his successes. And his stupid haircut. :p

http://www.emse.fr/~yukna/WOIf/worf.jpg

6. JR Reid - Ah, kickin' it old school. I remember the dumb flat top and the thuggish style of play. Then I remember him thugging it out even more in the NBA. Maybe the "JR can't read" chants got to him...

5. Joe Forte - Cocky, classless. Thought he was a WAY better player than he really was (though he wasn't bad). Poor work ethic. Ball hog. Only redeeming value - he was a dud in the NBA. Welcome to irrelvance, Joe. Population: you.

4. Vince Carter - Tremendous leaper. Also a tremendous jerk. Volatile personality. Also tanked a season on purpose to get traded from Toronto.

3. Rashad McCants - Some defend his work ethic, but to me, when you sell out a coach who loved his school as much as Matt Doherty loved his school, then you suck. Poor attitude, appeared to play when he "felt like it", poor teammate, and ball hog. Maybe he's maturing now... but it's easy to be mature when you get shots and minutes in the obscurity of Minnesota. If that team ever gets better, and McCants finds out that you need to play defense to stay in a rotation, we'll see how mature he's become.

2. Rasheed Wallace - The tantrums. The whining. The constant "who me?" expressions. The funny little bald spot. The occasional laissez-faire approach to the college game. The arrests. The verbal threats to players and refs. Playing for the JailBlazers, then the Pistons. Acting like a jerk to me in Sears in Durham. Yea, I have a lot of reasons not to like this dude. It didn't help that he was a great player and always had his best games against Duke. You hate to see jerks like that succeed.

1. Jerry "Mortal Kombat" Stackhouse - Same kind of attitude as 'Sheed, but tended to have more bite than bark. Has been in more fights (at least 4) than all-star games (2). Dirty, dirty player who also whines about OTHER players playing dirty. There's a reason he's been traded so many times - because he's an azz. It was basically a toss up between him and 'Sheed.

Dis-honorable mention:
Shammond Williams
Donald Williams
Jeff McInnis
Rick Fox
Brendan Haywood
Julius Peppers (who I happen to like as a football player)
Hansbrough (plays too hard to hate too much)
Danny Green (working his way up the list)

All of the scholarship players on this year's team.

Seriously.

My hatred is reserved exclusively for direction toward this year's team. I've got no concern for the past.

Jfrosh
03-11-2008, 11:15 AM
What a fun game! So many to choose from.
I just can't put Hansbrogh on my list as I love his game. If he had on a darker shade of Blue, he might be my all time favorite player.
In no particular order.

Ed Cota
J.R. Reid
Maktar N'Daiye
KLang
Jeff MckGinnis
Brendan Haywood
Ed Cota
Rashad Mcants
King Rice
Joseph Forte

Can we do Maryland next, or maybe ACC (non-Carolina)?

FerryFor50
03-11-2008, 11:17 AM
What a fun game! So many to choose from.
I just can't put Hansbrogh on my list as I love his game. If he had on a darker shade of Blue, he might be my all time favorite player.
In no particular order.

Ed Cota
J.R. Reid
Maktar N'Daiye
KLang
Jeff MckGinnis
Brendan Haywood
Ed Cota
Rashad Mcants
King Rice
Joseph Forte

Can we do Maryland next, or maybe ACC (non-Carolina)?

Hmm. A Maryland thread may be in order next. Lonny Baxter and Steve Blake certainly come to mind... But honestly, I have no animosity for Maryland players pre-Gary Williams. And I loved Walt Williams.

Jfrosh
03-11-2008, 11:22 AM
I just noticed I put Ed Cota on my list twice and was going to change it, but decided I disliked him enough to leave him there twice.

I'd swap him for Matt Doherty but while I disliked him as a player, I loved him as Carolina's Coach.

DukePA
03-11-2008, 11:47 AM
My number 1 is exopthalmus girl, Ivory Latta. I was so happy when our women swept them her senior year. GTHC

MIKESJ73
03-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Most hated has to be Rick Fox for me, I hate even thinking of the guy (LA and UNC). Also Julius Peppers, he led the league in sacks in two different sports.

novablue4
03-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Stackhouse: just have never liked him

Wallace: I may be jealous, but for an Aho^e like that to get so rich is a crime

Danny Green: great off the pine, but just obnoxious, even some Carolina fans dislike him

Also, going way back I never liked George Karl, still don't.

BlueDevilBaby
03-11-2008, 01:45 PM
'Sheed and Ivory - I can't go any further because I have no hate left after them.

OldPhiKap
03-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Top ten most hated:

Jeff Lebo.
Steve Hale.
J.R. Reid.
Dean Smith.
Maktar N'Daiye

. . . and the five starters of every year's team thereafter.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Most hated:
1) Dean Smith - Can there be any other? Smug, sanctimonious, hypocritical. Brushed Ford's drunk driving under the rug, dishonest shots at Ferry's SAT's, and presided over most of the violent, antsocial jerks below while simultaneously acting like he was a saint and the "carolina way" made UNC morally better than every other school. Growing up in a mixed-allegiance household, I hate UNC because of DES.
2) Haktar - No-brainer (both him and his selection on the list). The false racial-expletive thing alone would put him in the top 5. I was in college in his time period and heard some really nasty stuff from UNC friends.
3) Wallace - This says it all: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Loge/7346/
4) King Rice - I think time has dimmed my hate or he would be higher.
5) McGinnis - Most UNC fans I know don't like this guy. Really, really a thug.
6) Larry Brown - Anti-semetic remarks and punches thrown at Art Heyman took the rivalry to a new level. Left every program he touched high-and-dry and/or on probation.
7) Err Canada - Showboat, tanked an entire season to force a trade with a fake injury while still dancing at a Nelly concert. Just a classy guy all around.
8) Easy Ed Cota - B1tching about his missing teammates, openly dealt throughout his career while on scholarship.
9) McCants - Worst attitude I've ever seen. Always sulking, never got along with teammates. He'd be higher but the first thing he did after the title in 2005 was take off his UNC jersey and never have ANY future contact with UNC. Part of me thinks he hated UNC as much as we do.
10) Danny Green - Snuck in over several others. Dancing, jersey popping, trash-talking.

Guys like Klang, JWilliams, etc seem too pathetic to be hated. Like how Jawad claimed he would own Cameron and then never won a game in his career there. Ditto Forte whose gun charges and insane behavior in his short NBA tenure gave UNC enough of a black eye that I think of him a more like a double agent for Duke.:D
I'm also surprised to see guys like Shammond, and especially Donald Williams. By all accounts (and my own experience) those guys were really nice. D Williams especially I think of as one of my favorite Heels.

bludev03
03-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Please add Sean 400 pound May and brokedown Tupac Raygod Felton to the list...

EarlJam
03-11-2008, 03:51 PM
'Sheed and Ivory - I can't go any further because I have no hate left after them.

To the tune "Ebony and Ivory:"

We all know that Tarheels are the same whereever we go;
There is bad and worse in each of them;
We learn to taunt, we learn to haunt;
Each player, with great cheers that revive, keep the fightin' alive!

Chorus
Mr. Sheed and Ivory;
Live forever in Duke hate history.
Side by side on my wide screen;
Danny Green, thumps his chest with gleeeeeeeeee!

EVERYONE, SING WITH ME!

mr. synellinden
03-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Without hesitation.........

-EJ

Awesome.

I was about to post that any list like that has to have that guy on it - I don't even like to say his name.

I am surprised reading these lists that he doesn't appear that often.

Remember the little scuffle he got into with Hurley during the 1991 game at Cameron. And then Laettner stepped in between him and Hurley and got in his face. I loved that. That was one of the reasons I voted for Laettner as my favorite Blue Devil of all time last year.

EarlJam
03-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Awesome.

I was about to post that any list like that has to have that guy on it - I don't even like to say his name.

I am surprised reading these lists that he doesn't appear that often.

Remember the little scuffle he got into with Hurley during the 1991 game at Cameron. And then Laettner stepped in between him and Hurley and got in his face. I loved that. That was one of the reasons I voted for Laettner as my favorite Blue Devil of all time last year.

Oh, I remember this moment well!

Hurley and Laettner both just had the guts of whatever the largest animal on Earth with the most guts in it has. They are easily my #1 and #2 players of all-time.

I loved the way Hurley, in the UNLV game, was just a son-of-a-britch to the UNLV players, not backing down from anyone - even if three times his size.

-EarlJam