PDA

View Full Version : Dump Billy packer petition

jtholland
03-10-2008, 03:12 PM
This is a pre-emptive shot at the one guy who every year casts a long shadow on what otherwise be, for me, the most glorious time of year.

Billy Packer ruins March madness. Let's get CBS to dump this chump.

-----------------------

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Billy_Packer?e

CBS- Please consider removing Billy Packer from your NCAA Basketball coverage.

We enjoy watching nothing more than a good NCAA college basketball game. That is, unless we have the misfortune of having Billy Packer sitting at the microphone for an almost unbearable tirade of negativity, second guessing, and harassing of every decision every player, coach, and even referee makes on the floor. We have yet to hear him make disparaging comments about the mascots or maintenance workers, but perhaps that is because we missed some of the games this year.

He is an appalling ambassador for the game, and his negative attitude towards it's every aspect makes for an unbearable experience. As a result, we watch the games with volume muted. We're sure your advertisers will be happy to hear that.

We have never talked to anyone who has had anything but disdain for Mr. Packer and the poor sportsmanship he exhibits from the microphone.

It is our hope, by creating this petition, that you, CBS will consider removing Billy Packer as an announcer from your staff. We, and many, many others would look forward to watching games with a more positive commentator who could make watching- and listening- to your coverage bearable.

Thank you for your consideration of this request.

godukerocks
03-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Do we really have to take it this far?

Count me out.

hedgehog
03-10-2008, 07:49 PM
At least Packer pays attention to the game and has insightful commentary. He is also an equal opportunity hater. Sure, I wish he was less of a curmudgeon

Dick Vitale doesn't even see many of the plays, he is too busy talking about something else. Thank goodness he is not with CBS.

Len Elmore hates us. Enough said. That is the guy I wish CBS would boot. I would sign that petition.

Of course, I would prefer Jim Spanarkel to Packer. If I had to choose someone with the same level of experience as Packer in color commentary, I would definitely prefer Raftery to Packer.

I think Jim Nantz does a great job as announcer. Who knows, maybe he likes working with Billy...

SilkyJ
03-10-2008, 08:04 PM
He is also an equal opportunity hater.

Sorta. He does a lot of hating, but hates extra on Duke/UNC

hedgehog
03-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Sorta. He does a lot of hating, but hates extra on Duke/UNC

As long as it is not more on Duke than UNC, that is equal enough for me.

SilkyJ
03-10-2008, 08:27 PM
^this decade there he has been hating more on Duke. But we've been much better this decade.

roywhite
03-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Billy can be annoying at times. He still officiates too much, and once he adopts a template for the way the game is going, he tends to stick with that template, even if the facts begin to change.

That said, Billy knows hoops. So, no, I wouldn't cast him aside unless there is someone clearly better on the network scene to replace his role; offhand, I can't identify a person that would be better (and team up better with Jim Nantz, who is entrenched as the lead play-by-play guy).

devildownunder
04-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Billy can be annoying at times. He still officiates too much, and once he adopts a template for the way the game is going, he tends to stick with that template, even if the facts begin to change.

That said, Billy knows hoops. So, no, I wouldn't cast him aside unless there is someone clearly better on the network scene to replace his role; offhand, I can't identify a person that would be better (and team up better with Jim Nantz, who is entrenched as the lead play-by-play guy).

...but I love Packer. He talks about almost nothing but the game and what actions/strategies are affecting/will affect its outcome. And he knows his stuff. If you pay attention to what he sees and then compare it with what actually happens on court, you notice that his analysis is almost always on point. That's what I like from a color man. Dickie V may be "mr college basketball", and I do like him for flavour but for analysis, packer is the man, IMO.

And on another point, I have never understood why so many fanbases seem to think he has a personal vendetta against their team/school. I've never heard him say anything to make me think he hates duke. Heck, today when they were talking about ff comebacks during the unc game he said duke played "great basketball" to win that game after being down 22, overcoming maryland even though they played "good basketball". That hardly sounds like hate to me. I just think he honestly calls them the way he sees them and that means he's not always going to see things your way if you are a fan of a team involved.

One criticism of bp that I do think is valid is that he does too much informal officiating. I'd prefer to see him stick to breaking down how players and coaches should approach games, because I truly believe he is the best on the air at it.

davekay1971
04-06-2008, 10:57 AM
^this decade there he has been hating more on Duke. But we've been much better this decade.

Errrr, really? I thought hitting the championship game 5 times in the 90s was pretty good...

pfrduke
04-06-2008, 11:00 AM
http://bigtenwonk.blogspot.com/2006/03/give-generously-to-billy-packer.html

Capn Poptart
04-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Sure, Billy's arrogant and surly, but he knows basketball. Quite often he'll say something like, "The Fighting Sea Otters need to go to a box-and-one on this trip down the floor." And lo and behold, they do.

He's a sharp analyst. I'd miss him.

Not to mention that his autobiography is a fun read (hilarious memories of Al McGuire):
(http://www.amazon.com/Hoops-Confessions-College-Basketball-Analyst/dp/0809253054)

RelativeWays
04-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Packer is a definite curmudgeon but it wouldn't be the NCAA tourney without him. He seems to have mellowed a bit this year, despite pronouncing last nights game over in the 1st half, and, like Vitale, he's a natural character unlike these fake announcers that try to force their "personalities" down our throats....*looks at Jimmy Dykes*

The Slamming Butcher
04-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Actually, he moved up a couple of notches in my book last night.

"This game....IS OVER!" :D

eddiehaskell
04-06-2008, 12:55 PM
I kinda like him.

gvtucker
04-06-2008, 12:57 PM
IMO, Billy Packer is one of the best announcers out there.

I really don't mind his curmudgeonliness, I vastly prefer that to Dick Vitale's over-the-top praise.

3rd Dukie
04-06-2008, 03:04 PM
IMO, Billy Packer is one of the best announcers out there.

I really don't mind his curmudgeonliness, I vastly prefer that to Dick Vitale's over-the-top praise.

I could not agree more! Start a Vitale petition and I'll sign that. Others above have described Packer well.

sagegrouse
04-06-2008, 03:25 PM
You know, I think one of the signs of senility is that I am beginning to like Billy Packer.

sagegrouse

soccerstud2210
04-06-2008, 05:06 PM
now we just need a petition to remove bill walton, and steven a. smith as well... the announcing world would be fantastic then...

Devilsfan
04-06-2008, 05:24 PM
I loved Billy Packard's call in the first half stating to the world the game was over. He was right except Kansas won by only 16 not the 28 they were ahead at the time.

BlueintheFace
04-06-2008, 05:31 PM
I think Jim Nantz does a great job as announcer. Who knows, maybe he likes working with Billy...

I can't source this or anything, but I thought it was universally accepted that Nantz dislikes Packer. I can remember multiple games in recent years where Nantz has gone out of his way to make a snide remark about billy's negativity during a game.

captmojo
04-06-2008, 05:36 PM
The mute button is a wonderful thing. Sit with friends and call the game yourself. I guarantee a fun time for all. That's what we did last night.

blueduke59
04-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Gus Johnson should be the voice of college basketball. That is all

Lavabe
04-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Both Billy Packer and Dick Vitale were elected today to enter the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame (http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/563628.html).

Oh yeah, check out who else got in there too!:eek:

Cheers,
Lavabe

BlueintheFace
04-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Rumor at Si.com about Packer hanging up the old microphone!!!

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/45751

Lulu
04-07-2008, 04:11 AM
I've felt for some time now that Packer detracts from the game. It's not so much what he says, and whether he's right or wrong, but how he says it. I'm really not that sensitive of a person, but it's just occurred to me on more than one occasion that he was probably taking away from my enjoyment of the the game with his tone and attitude, both of which never change. I contrast this with the MNF crews of the past, who could almost bring enjoyment to a game you care nothing about just because they actually seemed to love being there themselves.

I generally like curmudgeons, but not announcing my basketball games. Throw Elmore and a score of others into this same bag. Sadly, I know there are a few announcers out there I really like, but I don't even know their names, just faces, since there's so little attention given.

Don't mistake what I've said to mean that I like Vitale. He's way too over-the-top, and quite annoyingly so.

Lulu
04-07-2008, 04:20 AM
Wow, so I was reading some forums regarding the rumor of Packer's retirement... and I all I can say is: When did everyone start hating Bilas? A couple years ago everyone thought he was the best analyst ever to set foot at courtside. Now, he's a pompous know-it-all. Surely it didn't take joe schmoe this long to realize Jay was a Dukie? Has he made too many picks against favorites? Become too familiar? The only time Jay really annoys me is when I feel like he's unnaturally trying to emulate Vitale for a moment or two.

I guess it doesn't matter how many times you say something someone likes, they'll remember the two times they hated what you had to say.

mk76
04-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Amen

3rd Dukie
04-07-2008, 12:44 PM
I've felt for some time now that Packer detracts from the game. It's not so much what he says, and whether he's right or wrong, but how he says it. I'm really not that sensitive of a person, but it's just occurred to me on more than one occasion that he was probably taking away from my enjoyment of the the game with his tone and attitude, both of which never change. I contrast this with the MNF crews of the past, who could almost bring enjoyment to a game you care nothing about just because they actually seemed to love being there themselves.

I generally like curmudgeons, but not announcing my basketball games. Throw Elmore and a score of others into this same bag. Sadly, I know there are a few announcers out there I really like, but I don't even know their names, just faces, since there's so little attention given.

Don't mistake what I've said to mean that I like Vitale. He's way too over-the-top, and quite annoyingly so.

Your point about MNF is well-taken. The only football I watch is whatever game Madden is doing. He just seems to LOVE being there without being irritating about it.
Well said!

Jeffrey
04-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi,

I loved how expertly Packer timed both game runs (exactly the wrong way!) on Saturday. Around 7 mins. left in the 1st half, Packer states, "it's over". UNC goes on an amazing run to narrow it down to about 4. Around that point, when asked if UNC will run out of steam, Packer says something like, "No, I think UNC has plently on energy left". Almost immediately, Kansas goes on an amazing run. :D

Best regards,
Jeffrey

carolinekoala
04-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Thank God for the mute button. I can't listen to Packer. Vitale rambles & name-drops & is so redundant it drives me crazy. I want to send him a thesaurus so he doesn't describe every player as being "special" & every coach as having "passion."
Bill Raftery may know what he's talking about but when he goes into that gutteral growling thing he does at the end of a sentence, I can't understand a word he's saying.
Hmmm, seems it's the old farts who annoy me the most. Too bad there's no mandatory retirement age for bloviating gas-bags.