PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs. UNC in Final Four possibility

houstondukie
03-10-2008, 03:10 PM
I think it may be the end of the world if that happens, but it is a possibilty since the East regional winner and the Midwest regional winner are matched up in the FF.

Both teams are almost gauranteed to play their first round games in Raleigh, and Raleigh is a "pod" site for only the East (charlotte) and Midwest (detroit) regions.

Assuming UNC gets a 1 seed (I still haven't conceded that and hope for an early exit in the acc tourney) the only way UNC doesn't make the FF, in my opinion, is a complete collapse since Charlotte is virtually a home game.

Duke has a tougher road, but still a good shot.

sandinmyshoes
03-10-2008, 03:13 PM
If they met in the Final Four, I'm pretty sure that would be the end of the world. For at least one fanbase.:eek:

tbyers11
03-10-2008, 03:26 PM
I think it may be the end of the world if that happens, but it is a possibilty since the East regional winner and the Midwest regional winner are matched up in the FF.

Both teams are almost gauranteed to play their first round games in Raleigh, and Raleigh is a "pod" site for only the East (charlotte) and Midwest (detroit) regions.

Assuming UNC gets a 1 seed (I still haven't conceded that and hope for an early exit in the acc tourney) the only way UNC doesn't make the FF, in my opinion, is a complete collapse since Charlotte is virtually a home game.

Duke has a tougher road, but still a good shot.

They seed the brackets 1-4 after they make them, based on the S-curve (with #1 1-seed vs #4 1-seed and #2 1-seed vs #3 1-seed). That determines which region winners meet in the national semifinals. Also, the Raleigh "pod" could be placed in any of the 4 regions. It is not locked into East or Midwest.

As to a possible UNC-Duke matchup in the FF, that would be an armageddon for the loser

Lotus000
03-10-2008, 04:03 PM
I can't even imagine what a Duke-UNC final four game would be like. I don't WANT to imagine it.

If Duke and UNC ever met in a title game....would the arena just explode?

Chard
03-10-2008, 04:12 PM
I get this strange feeling that this season is going to be similar to the 2001 season. Duke split the regular season with Maryland then went on to win the next two in the ACC tourny and the NCAA in the Final Four. Wouldn't it be sweet to repeat that with UNC taking Maryland's place.

astoria26
03-10-2008, 04:18 PM
They seed the brackets 1-4 after they make them, based on the S-curve (with #1 1-seed vs #4 1-seed and #2 1-seed vs #3 1-seed). That determines which region winners meet in the national semifinals. Also, the Raleigh "pod" could be placed in any of the 4 regions. It is not locked into East or Midwest.

Can you explain this a little more? Do you mean they can still place Duke as the 2 seed in the Raleigh pod, but have them in the South or West region instead of Midwest, which is what Lunardi has them in right now (and thus a FF meeting with UNC)? Thanks!

EarlJam
03-10-2008, 05:00 PM

In all honesty, that would probably be the best case scenario.

Or have the scoreboard fall on both starting fives at the tip-off, resulting in the permanent cancellation of the game and the erection of a beautiful bronze memorial to both teams at the site of the tragedy.

-EarlJam

Highlander
03-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Can you explain this a little more? Do you mean they can still place Duke as the 2 seed in the Raleigh pod, but have them in the South or West region instead of Midwest, which is what Lunardi has them in right now (and thus a FF meeting with UNC)? Thanks!

That's exactly what it means.

First and second round games are seeded by pods, with the top four seeds theoretically getting a geographically friendly game, regardless of region. Duke could be the #2 in the west and UNC the #1 in the east, yet both teams could play their first two games in Raleigh.

jlear
03-10-2008, 05:20 PM
I can't even imagine what a Duke-UNC final four game would be like. I don't WANT to imagine it.

Imagine the ticket prices for Duke v unc for the title from scalpers...$10,000 a seat? more?

bdh21
03-10-2008, 05:21 PM

This seems to be the only thing Duke and UNC fans can agree on.

OldPhiKap
03-10-2008, 05:53 PM

No, but Billy Packer's head would explode from all the hate he has built up over the years.

Matches
03-10-2008, 05:55 PM
LOL about Packer.

I go back and forth between thinking that a Duke-UNC FF matchup would be teh most awesomest of all things ever and thinking that the stakes are just TOO high. I'm not sure my heart can handle it.

OldPhiKap
03-10-2008, 05:56 PM
LOL about Packer.

I go back and forth between thinking that a Duke-UNC FF matchup would be teh most awesomest of all things ever and thinking that the stakes are just TOO high. I'm not sure my heart can handle it.

If we beat them and then won the tourney, we'd REALLY start hearing about that Helms Trophy again. I couldn't stomach that.

tbyers11
03-10-2008, 06:07 PM
If we beat them and then won the tourney, we'd REALLY start hearing about that Helms Trophy again. I couldn't stomach that.

Did I miss the sarcasm in your post (apologies if I did)?

If we beat UNC in the FF and won the tourney, you'd be worried about the that bogus Helms trophy from 1924? I'd don't think I would mind that as a comeback for the "We just beat you in the most important game ever played between Duke and UNC and have a leg up on bragging rights for eternity" taunts that I would direct toward UNC fans.

OldPhiKap
03-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Did I miss the sarcasm in your post (apologies if I did)?

If we beat UNC in the FF and won the tourney, you'd be worried about the that bogus Helms trophy from 1924? I'd don't think I would mind that as a comeback for the "We just beat you in the most important game ever played between Duke and UNC and have a leg up on bragging rights for eternity" taunts that I would direct toward UNC fans.

You've got it exactly right.

GTHC, GTH!

devildeac
03-10-2008, 11:10 PM
No, but Billy Packer's head would explode from all the hate he has built up over the years.

that would not be such a bad thing, would it?;)

Lotus000
03-10-2008, 11:17 PM
As good as Duke and Carolina have been for the past....25-30 years, I actually find it a bit odd that we have never played in the final four yet. Am I the only one? I think God is sparing us all heart attacks and palpitations.

Cameron
03-10-2008, 11:29 PM
I have always wanted this game to happen.

A Duke-Carolina Final Four match-up would be so beautifully amazing. The story lines would be enough to ground all American intercourse at once for the first time in national history (at least for men). Two tradition rich schools sitting just eight miles apart, the greatest rivals in sports, the wonderful tint of an all blue battle, the reality that the losing team, philosophically speaking, would face the death penalty, perhaps never being able to recover from such a catastrophic demise, Kentucky fans wondering how in the hell their program disappeared from the national conscience so quickly, etc. It's all there. How amazing a night that would make. Beautiful, just beautiful the sight of a Duke-Carolina Final Four game would be.

With that said, no thanks.

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 08:50 AM

A Duke-Carolina Final Four match-up would be so beautifully amazing. The story lines would be enough to ground all American intercourse at once for the first time in national history (at least for men). Two tradition rich schools sitting just eight miles apart, the greatest rivals in sports, the wonderful tint of an all blue battle, the reality that the losing team, philosophically speaking, would face the death penalty, perhaps never being able to recover from such a catastrophic demise, Kentucky fans wondering how in the hell their program disappeared from the national conscience so quickly, etc. It's all there. How amazing a night that would make. Beautiful, just beautiful the sight of a Duke-Carolina Final Four game would be.

100% agree.

Troublemaker
03-11-2008, 09:06 AM

Yeah, I'd rather have the matchup during a year when we have the better team. This year, I'll pass.

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I'd rather have the matchup during a year when we have the better team. This year, I'll pass.

Why couldn't it have happened in 99, or 01? *sighs*

yancem
03-11-2008, 09:15 AM
As good as Duke and Carolina have been for the past....25-30 years, I actually find it a bit odd that we have never played in the final four yet. Am I the only one? I think God is sparing us all heart attacks and palpitations.

To put things a little different light, what would have happened in 1991 if UNC had beaten Kansas. How sweet would Duke's first national championship been if it had come at the hands of UNC. The problem is the converse is also true. How completely devastating and demoralizing would it have been to pull of the upset of the decade against UNLV and then turn around and loose the elusive nc, that should be rightfully yours, to your most hated rival:mad:

I'm not sure Duke would have ever recovered and I'm pretty sure that my body wouldn't have made it through the game unless Duke sprang out to an early lead and dominated for 40 minutes.

III
03-11-2008, 10:00 AM
1. I would rob a bank to get money for Duke-UNC Final Four/NC tickets.
2. Regardless of who won, the second the game ended, basketballs across the world would spontaneously pop because there is no game that could compare to that.
3. No matter how many times Duke and UNC meet in the NC, the first time would be the biggest game in the history of college basketball. Past, present, future.
4. I may actually start chanting, "We (just) beat you in the most important game ever played (between Duke and UNC) and have (a leg up on) bragging rights for eternity. (Portions in parenthesis optional).

hurleyfor3
03-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Um, people? A Duke/unc national championship was about three possessions away from happening in '91. It can happen.

Tickets for national championship games aren't that expensive, on the order of a few hundred for noncrappy seats. The semifinal games are MUCH more valuable. Duke/unc national chamionship tickets would probably trade at lower street prices than the annual unc game in Cameron does.

I think the most expensive hypothetical ticket in North American sports would be for World Series games in Wrigley Field. (Or Exxon Field or whomever Sam Zell has sold the naming rights to by then.)

In any event, the chance of a Duke/unc Final Four matchup this year is zero. We ain't making the Final Four.