PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Elon Props (and unintended dis!)

EarlJam
03-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Not sure if this belongs on off-topic (since not about Duke) or not, but coming back from lunch the on-air personalities on 680 The Fan in Atlanta (some ESPN show?) were discussing how if Elon beats Davidson tonight, it will be bad for bubble teams.

They discussed Elon for a good five minutes! Praise ELON!

Okay, nevermind that they:

-Called it Elon College (vs. University)
-Made fun of its size ("You actually get a person when you call the school!")
-And said that the school was located: "North of Greensboro and just EAST of Durham."

Say what? Sounds like bulliten board material to me!

After our big run in the tourney, they will regret not being more in the know!

Go ELON! Fighting Phoenix Forever!

-EarlJam

EarlJam
03-10-2008, 03:00 PM
The third Phoenix alum on this board concurs with my Elon bros!

Before tip-off tonight of the championship game, please don't forget to recite the school's fight song, a part of which is:

We are mighty Elon;
Our flames you cannot douse!
The red and gold we shall don;
In the great Lighthouse!

You and her; her and him;
Let's get each other's backs!
When cheering in Alumni gym;
Across the railroad tracks!

So we look thin and haggard;
Just like the avenue.
But we'll march with a swagger;
When we beat the hell out of you!

-"The Earl of Elon" Jam

DukePA
03-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Before tip-off tonight of the championship game, please don't forget to recite the school's fight song, a part of which is:

We are mighty Elon;
In the great Lighthouse!

Just like the avenue.

-"The Earl of Elon" Jam

That's awesome!!! Go Phoenix!!! Stand tall and proud like the Oaks!!

Indoor66
03-10-2008, 04:06 PM

We are mighty Elon;
In the great Lighthouse!

Just like the avenue.

-"The Earl of Elon" Jam

Hey Earl, when did they change from the Fighting Christians?

EarlJam
03-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Hey Earl, when did they change from the Fighting Christians?

Sometime in the mid-late nineties. I'm not exactly sure of the year, but I graduated from the Elon College Fighting Christians and the school didn't even have a home football field.

A few years later, they were a university and had changed their name to the Phoenix (the school burned down in the early 20th century and "rose from the ashes"). Also they had a new, kick-arse football stadium.

Also, "Elon" is Hebrew for "EarlJam."

No. Actually, "Elon" is Hebrew for "Oaks."

-EarlJam

Exiled_Devil
03-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Sweet!

Count me in rooting foe Elon - I dated a girl from there in the mid-90's. Made out with her in the lobby of some building (music building, maybe?) late on night.
Haven't heard of or from her in ten years. I'll root for Elon for the sake of those good times, though.

Exiled

EarlJam
03-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Sweet!

Count me in rooting foe Elon - I dated a girl from there in the mid-90's. Made out with her in the lobby of some building (music building, maybe?) late on night.
Haven't heard of or from her in ten years. I'll root for Elon for the sake of those good times, though.

Exiled

What was her name? I went to Elon in the mid-90s and knew a lot of people that hung out in the music/fine-arts/communications building.

-EarlJam

P.S. If her name was Amanda, I'll kill you. :D

RelativeWays
03-10-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm a UNCG grad so I won't be routing for Elon. I live in Elon and the student body there irritates me. Also we're supposed to be arch rivals or something, according to EA Sports. Don't know why, proximity maybe?

TussAgee11
03-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Count me in for Elon too, am a junior there. Both parents and a brother went to Duke, which explains my presence here at DBR.

Realistically, they're gonna have to play the game of their lives. Did beat ole Cremins' C of C last night...

Hard to think a team that just came into the NCAA D1 less then a year ago has a shot at it, but such is March Madness. Several of my friends left today to go to Charleston.

As for the student body annoying the locals, its pretty much a college town, and yes, east of Greensboro, not north. Not too many locals in the town, but Burlington is fairly big. Kind of fratty, but not awful. Everyone pretty much sticks to or around campus. Ventures into Burlington can only provide so much fun... About 5k now, and growing. Sure would be great if when I applied for a job in two years, people all the sudden new about Elon because we lost the play in game of the NCAA tourney... :) Realistically, Davidson is WAY better. Lost to them by about 10 earlier in the year and we played very well. Our coach used to be an assistant at Wake, Ernie Nestor.

Just some info on, as Howard Cosell used to say, "Tiny Elon College"

-Tuss

stripes01
03-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Elon hung close in both games this season.

59-57 at Elon and 74-64 at Davidson

Lets hope they play well tonight!

Wear your MAROON & GOLD tonight!

Elon Class of 96

killerleft
03-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Jesse Branson was a star there in the sixties. Tommy Cole was one of the top college point guards of the early seventies anywhere (think John Roche). And, of course, Richard McGeorge, a fine tight end for Green Bay, starred at Elon and has coached at Duke.

Lavabe
03-10-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm a UNCG grad so I won't be routing for Elon. I live in Elon and the student body there irritates me. Also we're supposed to be arch rivals or something, according to EA Sports. Don't know why, proximity maybe?

I applied for a tenure track position at UNCG, and they never returned a letter, acknowledged receipt of materials, etc... Thus, I'll be rooting for Elon. Besides, I'll stick with the Atlanta DBR Mafia on this one.

Go Phoenix (http://www.elon.edu/e-net/sound/elonfightsong.mov)!!

Cheers,
Lavabe

DukePA
03-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Welcome TussAgee11 and Stripes01. Now there are 5 of us, and counting. 4:50 left in the first half and although the guys are behind 20-26, they're not giving up. GO PHOENIX!!!

Ben63
03-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Ill root for Elon. My cousin is an undergrad there currently. I try to pull for schools my family attend(ed), except for one of my other cousins who is a professer at unc. When she told me that news I told her she wasnt my cousin anymore.

Uncle Drew
03-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Not sure if this belongs on off-topic (since not about Duke) or not, but coming back from lunch the on-air personalities on 680 The Fan in Atlanta (some ESPN show?) were discussing how if Elon beats Davidson tonight, it will be bad for bubble teams.

They discussed Elon for a good five minutes! Praise ELON!

Okay, nevermind that they:

-Called it Elon College (vs. University)
-Made fun of its size ("You actually get a person when you call the school!")
-And said that the school was located: "North of Greensboro and just EAST of Durham."

Say what? Sounds like bulliten board material to me!

After our big run in the tourney, they will regret not being more in the know!

Go ELON! Fighting Phoenix Forever!

-EarlJam

As Earl knows my dad went to and played baseball for Elon, so go Fighting Christians, ummm I mean Phoenix yeah, that's the ticket. I happen to live in the same county but IMO Elon has the 2nd prettiest campus in NC, next to Duke of course. And the way they are growing they will be making noise in athletics before too long. Just curious, maybe Earl knows. When they changed to Elon University did the town change to just Elon or is it Elon College now? And why hasn't Boston College changed to Boston University (perhaps there is already a school with that name, it sounds familiar.)? Burlington was known as Company Shops for a loooong time before ever incorporating and becoming Burlington, so we're used to town name changes in Alamance county.

Uncle Drew
03-10-2008, 10:02 PM

I'm a UNC-G grad too. Just so you people know, a fine art degree no matter how good you are may as well be printed on toilet paper. Elon students are a bit clanish for my taste and they come back to school and think they own the whole town of Burlington. That being said in a town the size of Greensboro I don't think the UNC-G students stick out as much.

Yeah and killerleft, Tommy Cole was my basketball coach in high school.

Earl I thought Elon was Gaelic for oak tree, not Hebrew. But then I always get my Hebrew, Aramaic and Gaelic confused.

killerleft
03-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Tommy Cole also coached my alma mater, Graham High, to a state championship!

Elon's down by 10 three mins. into the second half.

gofurman
03-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Sometime in the mid-late nineties. I'm not exactly sure of the year, but I graduated from the Elon College Fighting Christians and the school didn't even have a home football field.

A few years later, they were a university and had changed their name to the Phoenix (the school burned down in the early 20th century and "rose from the ashes"). Also they had a new, kick-arse football stadium.

Also, "Elon" is Hebrew for "EarlJam."

No. Actually, "Elon" is Hebrew for "Oaks."

-EarlJam

and Furman beats Elon in that football stadium (J/K with ya),
and more importantly Furman is 1-1 in the last two football meetings with UNC :) ...

Furman 28-UNC 3 ('99?) with Julius Peppers and Ryan Sims on the DL!).
Furman 45-UNC 48...durn so close.

gofurman
03-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Maryland better pull for Davidson :) can't have Elon taking a apot

juise
03-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Maryland better pull for Davidson :) can't have Elon taking a apot

Elon didn't steal a spot, but San Diego is about to.

DukePA
03-10-2008, 11:05 PM
I hope this means the remainder of my heartbreaking basketball karma has been used up. This week has been rough with the Duke men, women, and now Elon. I'm whining ;)

GO DUKE!!!

EarlJam
03-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Elon was ROBBED!

Clearly the refs and the NCAAs want Davidson in the tourney. Elon had the talent (it bloomed late) to go to the Final Four. Now, thanks to the biased refs, that's all a dream.

Wait 'til next year! Elon University - 2009 NCAA Men's Basketball Champions!

-EarlJam

DukePA
03-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Elon was ROBBED!

Clearly the refs and the NCAAs want Davidson in the tourney. Elon had the talent (it bloomed late) to go to the Final Four. Now, thanks to the biased refs, that's all a dream.

Wait 'til next year! Elon University - 2009 NCAA Men's Basketball Champions!

-EarlJam

What he said!! Before you know it, we'll have all kinds of fair weather fans crawling out from under their rocks to shed their light blue for the crimson and gold :D

EarlJam
03-10-2008, 11:42 PM
What he said!! Before you know it, we'll have all kinds of fair weather fans crawling out from under their rocks to shed their light blue for the crimson and gold :D

If I may be so bold;
To shout crimson and gold;
You gonna get told;
Waste away like mold!

Blooded, our boyz are cold;
Nevermore, shall ELON fold;
The trophy, they shall hold;
Long before we get OLD!

Word to your female parent! Huh!

-Vanilla Jam