PDA

View Full Version : If you're an 850 the buzz listener

moonpie23
03-10-2008, 11:36 AM
this is my first post, folks.....but i am pretty sick of hearing the HATER-SPEW of the Bomani Jones (STEPHEN A wannabe) local radio "host" continue to spew hatred duke's way...

If you agree with me...

write or call

Brian Maloney
General Manager
850the Buzz

manager@850thebuzz.com

tell him you're sick of hearing bomani jone's hater rants against duke...

sandinmyshoes
03-10-2008, 11:42 AM
He'll probably put them in a file where he keeps all the letters from fans of other schools complaining about other announcers. Sports Talk radio is smack talking and ranting by design.

moonpie23
03-10-2008, 11:45 AM
He'll probably put them in a file where he keeps all the letters from fans of other schools complaining about other announcers. Sports Talk radio is smack talking and ranting by design.

he might....but this guy is different.....he's an OUTWARD hater that goes out of his way to disparage duke u and the team....

the other announcers are obvious homers for their teams, but if they are haters, they do a professional job of covering it up....

Shammrog
03-10-2008, 11:51 AM
this is my first post, folks.....but i am pretty sick of hearing the HATER-SPEW of the Bomani Jones (STEPHEN A wannabe) local radio "host" continue to spew hatred duke's way...

If you agree with me...

write or call

Brian Maloney
General Manager
850the Buzz

manager@850thebuzz.com

tell him you're sick of hearing bomani jone's hater rants against duke...

What did he do this time? (Got a link?)

moonpie23
03-10-2008, 11:58 AM
don't have a link....but if you listened at all on Saturday, all day ....he just went on and on about being proud to be a duke hater . Just spewing hate....

Indoor66
03-10-2008, 12:06 PM
don't have a link....but if you listened at all on Saturday, all day ....he just went on and on about being proud to be a duke hater . Just spewing hate....

Don't listen!

moonpie23
03-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Don't listen!

well, i'm a bit more pro-active when something is offensive. when i just don't like it, i definitely turn the channel.....

i once picketed a car dealership for 6 days when they tried to screw me over on a deal......

watzone
03-10-2008, 12:40 PM
I have to admit that I don't listen to talk radio for a reason. I was just telling a friend I happened to tune in for a minute today for my radio was still dialed into the Duke station 850. This guy was over the top bad with his attacks on Duke. I am sure it was designed to incite responses, but it was also brainless and cheap and full of vitrol. That's why my radio is in the off position again. I would strongly encourage Duke to consider their flagship station after more than just this. I think you know what I am talking of. I like most of the guys there and realize they are doing their job, but the ball has been dropped a lot there of late and while I certainly understand they will continue to entertain, I don't think any school would want to be affiliated after today's garbage and a recent incident. I think Duke needs to pull away from objectivity and go for homerism in the way of a flagship station.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-10-2008, 12:52 PM
I would strongly encourage Duke to consider their flagship station after more than just this. I think you know what I am talking of. I like most of the guys there and realize they are doing their job, but the ball has been dropped a lot there of late and while I certainly understand they will continue to entertain, I don't think any school would want to be affiliated after today's garbage and a recent incident. I think Duke needs to pull away from objectivity and go for homerism in the way of a flagship station.

Sure would be nice if they had a strong FM station so they could broadcast to more than a 15 mile radius of Durham and Raleigh after dark, but we talked about that a couple of weeks ago in another thread.

What incident? I usually only listen to David Glenn in the afternoons, and occasionally Adam Gold in the morning, but not often. I didn't like Bomani Jones the first time I heard him, and confirmed my opinion in short snippets, VERY short snippets, several additional times. Did I mention that I really like David Glenn, even if he is a carolina grad?

roywhite
03-10-2008, 12:52 PM
I have to admit that I don't listen to talk radio for a reason. I was just telling a friend I happened to tune in for a minute today for my radio was still dialed into the Duke station 850. This guy was over the top bad with his attacks on Duke. I am sure it was designed to incite responses, but it was also brainless and cheap and full of vitrol. That's why my radio is in the off position again. I would strongly encourage Duke to consider their flagship station after more than just this. I think you know what I am talking of. I like most of the guys there and realize they are doing their job, but the ball has been dropped a lot there of late and while I certainly understand they will continue to entertain, I don't think any school would want to be affiliated after today's garbage and a recent incident. I think Duke needs to pull away from objectivity and go for homerism in the way of a flagship station.

Sounds like objectivity would be a step up in this case.

I don't live in the Triangle, but do travel there on business frequently, so I'm familiar with the Buzz regulars like Adam Gold and Joe Ovious(sp?). What time slot does this Jones fellow have?

On the sports talk scene, I've actually developed a liking for Mark "Packman" Packer's show, which is syndicated across NC and SC. He has good guests (Mike Gminski is a weekly regular), is entertaining, and calls things fairly.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-10-2008, 01:02 PM
I don't live in the Triangle, but do travel there on business frequently, so I'm familiar with the Buzz regulars like Adam Gold and Joe Ovious(sp?). What time slot does this Jones fellow have?

He pollutes the airwaves on Saturday mornings, and occasionally subs for anyone else during the week.

SMO
03-10-2008, 01:13 PM
he might....but this guy is different.....he's an OUTWARD hater that goes out of his way to disparage duke u and the team....

the other announcers are obvious homers for their teams, but if they are haters, they do a professional job of covering it up....

Funny thing is Jones is/was teaching a course at Duke. Not sure I understand disparaging your own employer so publicly. Perhaps he knows that Duke would never have the fortitude to stand up to a professor disparaging the university or its students.

watzone
03-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Sure would be nice if they had a strong FM station so they could broadcast to more than a 15 mile radius of Durham and Raleigh after dark, but we talked about that a couple of weeks ago in another thread.

What incident? I usually only listen to David Glenn in the afternoons, and occasionally Adam Gold in the morning, but not often. I didn't like Bomani Jones the first time I heard him, and confirmed my opinion in short snippets, VERY short snippets, several additional times. Did I mention that I really like David Glenn, even if he is a carolina grad?

I like Dave too. The incident ia that they were the ones who reported K's supposed shot at Roy. They didn't take the time to confirm it and oddly just happened not to tape that one broadcast as they usually do. Okay. Anyhow, you would think the Duke flagship station would get their facts right concerning Duke uses them. Adam later claimed a Duke source told him what was said. What??? Please. Anyhow, he didn't come clean that the comments issued to K were all wrong until it blew up in the national media, yet he knew it before hand. He doesn't usually do this kind of thing, but this incident was shakey at best and a journamlist/shock jock should darn sure get the facts before running with something like this. I mean, the tape just happened to break or not turned on for for this one game? I can hear it now, "what did he say?" "Really! I have to run with that." It was talk between K and Bob Harris for gosh sakes, not a press conference and you got it all wrong.

Anyhow, I think it may have been Colin Cowherd of ESPN that I heard today. I won't go into the details. Don't want to live it or give it anymore thought.

wilko
03-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Hey moonpie23. welcome to the Forum of Fun.

BCGroup
03-10-2008, 05:02 PM
I like Dave too. The incident ia that they were the ones who reported K's supposed shot at Roy. They didn't take the time to confirm it and oddly just happened not to tape that one broadcast as they usually do. Okay. Anyhow, you would think the Duke flagship station would get their facts right concerning Duke uses them. Adam later claimed a Duke source told him what was said. What??? Please. Anyhow, he didn't come clean that the comments issued to K were all wrong until it blew up in the national media, yet he knew it before hand. He doesn't usually do this kind of thing, but this incident was shakey at best and a journamlist/shock jock should darn sure get the facts before running with something like this. I mean, the tape just happened to break or not turned on for for this one game? I can hear it now, "what did he say?" "Really! I have to run with that." It was talk between K and Bob Harris for gosh sakes, not a press conference and you got it all wrong.

Even though I heard Dave Glenn apologize for the mistake, and he was quoted in most of the national outlets, they never addressed it on their website. They sure were willing to take credit for breaking the story, but didn't admit to the mistake on their own site?

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Isn't WDNC 620 in Durham the flagship station for the Duke Radio Network?

flash
03-10-2008, 05:50 PM
I am kind of amazed that Duke officials would not at least lodge some sort of formal complaint with the station concerning the kind of anti-Duke rants that this guy is getting away with. I have heard a few of his shows and the utter comtempt of Duke is very disturbing. This station is making money from being the Duke flagship station. They should at least protect their interest by asking that the station at least tone down some of the vitriol coming from that program. If this were the UNC flagship station and this guy was hating on UNC the way he is Duke I believe Bumonti Jones radio gig would have been very short lived.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-10-2008, 06:15 PM
I am kind of amazed that Duke officials would not at least lodge some sort of formal complaint with the station concerning the kind of anti-Duke rants that this guy is getting away with. I have heard a few of his shows and the utter comtempt of Duke is very disturbing. This station is making money from being the Duke flagship station. They should at least protect their interest by asking that the station at least tone down some of the vitriol coming from that program. If this were the UNC flagship station and this guy was hating on UNC the way he is Duke I believe Bumonti Jones radio gig would have been very short lived.
WDNC 620 in Durham is currently the flagship station for Duke athletics and has been for many years. The Raleigh station you are referring to is part of the network, but is NOT the flagship station. If you want the contact information for the Duke Sports Information Department you can find it on goduke.com or just PM me.

CDu
03-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Funny thing is Jones is/was teaching a course at Duke. Not sure I understand disparaging your own employer so publicly. Perhaps he knows that Duke would never have the fortitude to stand up to a professor disparaging the university or its students.

It makes more sense when you know that he has a degree (Master's in Economics) from UNC-CH.

Shammrog
03-10-2008, 06:49 PM
It makes more sense when you know that he has a degree (Master's in Economics) from UNC-CH.

See, that almost defies believability. (I believe you. I just cannot believe he got such a degree.)

Not to increase his traffic - which from a Google search seems to be his goal in life. But, check out his blog some time.

MARGINALLY LITERATE AT BEST.

This guy can barely write coherently. What a pantload...

flash
03-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Marginally literate at best..... You should hear his (mental midget) show producer(and want a be co-host) Shannon(formerly known as Intern Shannon). Coulder not utter an intelligent sentence if his life depended on it. Just call them dumb and dumber.

SMO
03-10-2008, 08:15 PM

Yeah, I knew that but c'mon! If you hate Duke that much how can you work there?!

BCGroup
03-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Surely that does not pass for scholarship at any university.....

The Problem
03-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Flash,
That was almost funny, but it sounds like you have hate in your heart. I think you might need JESUS. Be easy its gonna be ok. You probably enjoy listening to the show. I'm not a huge fan per say, but at times it can be entertaining. I don't think Bomani and Shannon lack the intelligence to air quality programming. I have question for you, do you have a problem when they discuss topics that don't involve DUKE? It seems that you are not comfortable with Bomani's opinions and takes on things because they might come from a different angle or viewpoint. As people, we when we get use to something, it is hard to CHANGE or be willing to CHANGE. Sports talk, especially around here, sounds a lot alike, discussing the same issues from similar point of view. It is time to wake up. You don’t have to embrace his opinions, but at least listen with an open mind, and from their base your opinion of the show. And as for Shannon, he seems like he has a grasp on the is stuff too. He's not as seasoned as say a Joe Ovies, or a Chris Clark, but the young guy is not bad.

Devilsfan
03-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Successful people don't listn to 850 the whatever.

weezie
03-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Flash,
That was almost funny, but it sounds like you have hate in your heart. I think you might need JESUS. Be easy its gonna be ok. You probably enjoy listening to the show. I'm not a huge fan per say, but at times it can be entertaining. I don't think Bomani and Shannon lack the intelligence to air quality programming. I have question for you, do you have a problem when they discuss topics that don't involve DUKE? It seems that you are not comfortable with Bomani's opinions and takes on things because they might come from a different angle or viewpoint. As people, we when we get use to something, it is hard to CHANGE or be willing to CHANGE. Sports talk, especially around here, sounds a lot alike, discussing the same issues from similar point of view. It is time to wake up. You don’t have to embrace his opinions, but at least listen with an open mind, and from their base your opinion of the show. And as for Shannon, he seems like he has a grasp on the is stuff too. He's not as seasoned as say a Joe Ovies, or a Chris Clark, but the young guy is not bad.

Say whaaa? If you can't go to college......

weezie
03-12-2008, 06:17 PM

Is Bonami teaching a dorm course on rap music or street dancing or something like that?

OZZIE4DUKE
03-12-2008, 07:26 PM
WDNC 620 in Durham is currently the flagship station for Duke athletics and has been for many years. The Raleigh station you are referring to is part of the network, but is NOT the flagship station. If you want the contact information for the Duke Sports Information Department you can find it on goduke.com or just PM me.

850 and 620 are sister stations, owned by the same group. They share some programming and the jocks move back and forth fairly often to change the lineups. I believe that 850 is considered the "senior station" corporately, although 620 is Duke's flagship station. There are some games, primarily football, that 850 doesn't broadcast, such as when ECU has a football game at the same time as Duke (they broadcast ECU games obviously).

99.9 FM is the new sports talk station in Raleigh. It is owned by WRAL/Capital Broadcasting. They now do the State games instead of 680 WPTF, which had it for years. Wish we could get our games broadcast by 680 - it is a relative blow torch in power.

watzone
03-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Flash,

Welcome to the boards, Mr. Bomani.

moonpie23
03-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Hey, Weezie (Bomani).....I heard that you never allowed any of your students to wear any Duke gear to your class.

From your post, it's a shame you didn't take a few more classes yourself.