PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on ACC Next Year?

gofurman
03-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Not chalking anything up on this year just my take on each team, would like everyone's thoughts:

(listed in order of this years finish)

UNC - can't know who is back but if everyone...scary.

Duke - could be better as everyone except DM returns. Uusally when one star leaves (think CWell) and everyone else is back the team improves

Clemson - decent and Purnell is good but probably a fall off to middle of pack as Mays and Hammonds are key

VTech - improved - everyone back except Washington. Many freshman this year esp at guard so I see them getting pretty good.

Maryland - worse? Gaurd play and wings should improve but loss of Gist and Osby inside which is everything inside.

Miami - Lose King inside. Collins? They might be better if Collins is still there as McClinton and Rios and all return.

GTech - Probably about the same. I think they lose three seniors (Causey, Clinch, ? help here)

Wake - moving up. Everyone returns and great class coming in.

FSU - moving down - all the gaurds graduate.

UVA - most return but who replaces Singletary. Not a good year.

BC - see UVA / Tyrese Rice..

NC State - if Hickson leaves, maybe a little better with improved gaurd play. Maybe middle of the pack.

FerryFor50
03-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Not chalking anything up on this year just my take on each team, would like everyone's thoughts:

Duke - could be better as everyone except DM returns. Uusally when one star leaves (think CWell) and everyone else is back the team improves

Clemson - decent and Purnell is good but probably a fall off to middle of pack as Mays and Hammonds are key

VTech - improved - everyone back except Washington. Many freshman this year esp at guard so I see them getting pretty good.

Maryland - worse? Gaurd play and wings should improve but loss of Gist and Osby inside which is everything inside.

Miami - Lose King inside. Collins? They might be better if Collins is still there as McClinton and Rios and all return.

GTech - Probably about the same. I think they lose three seniors (Causey, Clinch, ? help here)

NC State - if Hickson leaves, maybe a little better with improved gaurd play. Maybe middle of the pack.

Real hard to say, especially since I haven't taken a look at the recruiting classes of teams other than NCSU, UNC and Duke.

captmojo
03-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Biggest improvement should come from Wake Forest.

roywhite
03-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Wake will have one of the best collections of young talent in the country, with size and speed. Teague and Johnson were outstanding in their game vs Duke and the incoming class is highly touted.

Wake still needs to demonstrate consistency to get to the Duke/UNC level, which is a function of experience and coaching. And PG Ish Smith needs to shoot FT's at better than a 40% clip.

Don't think I would trade any other group for Duke next year, though.

The1Bluedevil
03-09-2008, 10:38 PM
GT will get Dickey back next year and should be improved. I think Virginia is the only team that won't be improved.

Faison1
03-09-2008, 10:50 PM
If you look at the improvement from last year to this year for Duke, and hopefully apply the same type of growth to next year, I would say we are looking good.

Glimmers of hope in Lance and Zoubs add quite a bit.

Most importantly, though....what I've noticed in the last few games is a real fire in Singler....especially in some of his interactions with teammates. Has anyone else noticed this? Laettner might not have been fun to be around all the time, but he sure pushed his team to perfection. Could we be seeing the same type of dominating personality in Singler?

But back to the ACC, I agree that Wake should be improved, UNC could be really, really good, and State might challenge....GT might be OK. Other than that, maybe another down year.

Olympic Fan
03-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Just a few clarifications:

-- Collins is only a sophomore at Miami. King and reserve Raymond Hicks are the only seniors -- they'll be better as long as McClinton returns.

-- Tyrese Rice is only a junior. But there is a chance he'll turn pro early. Without him -- and with Blair and Oates also gone, BC is a second-division team.

-- Georgia Tech loses Causy, Morrow and Jeremis Smith. Dickey returns after a year off. Clinch is only a junior. They add a prep A-A shooting guard in Ivan Shumpert. With Lawal, Peacock and Aminu, they have plenty of bigs. The key will be the development of PF Mo Miller, who was hurt early, but showed some flashes late. I think they could be better next year.

-- Wake loses no seniors and adds three quality big men -- one of them, Aminu (the younger brother of Ga Tech's so-so big man) is a stud. However, I've heard rumblings that Johnson may jump early -- that would hurt. I think he's the second-best rookie in the league. If there are no defections, Wake is vying with Virginia Tech for third in the preseason standings.

-- Clemson will have to undergo a makeover. Hammonds, Mays and Sam Perry will be gone, but Booker and Rivers are studs and Stitt and Oglesby will be better as sophs. We'll need to see how much they get from Grant and Sykes next year in Mays' spot. Middle of the pack.

-- Maryland is as unpredictable as they were all year. Gist and Osby will be hard to replace, but Vasquez and Hayes provide a solid backcourt. We'll just have to see how Gary rebuilds the post (Gilchrist, who reneged on his VPI commitment, will be a key, along with redshirt Shane Walker) and how much this year's on-again, off-again young guys (Bowie, Tucker, Dupree) mature. Start with them middle of the pack and you won't be too wrong.

-- FSU loses Rich, Swann and Mims, but their best guard, Toney Douglas, has another year. They should get all the injured big men that they were counting on this year back, plus they add a prep A-A in Singleton. They'll be just where they've been for the last few years -- on the NIT side of the bubble.

-- I have a funny feeling about NC State. I think if they lose either Hickson or Costner in the off-season, that will solve their chemistry problem up front. And with a year under his belt, Gonzales ought to be better at the point. They add a nice-looking combo guard from Indiana (Mays) and get Degand back. I'm not saying they challenge for the title, but they could move up to the middle of the pack.

-- UNC and Duke will again be the preseason heavy-weights, depending on who leaves early. If Duke can get by with replacing Nelson with Elliot Williams (plus adding Czyz), I'd be pretty confident as I expect Singler and Smith to step up even more as sophs and for Zoubek and Thomas to be better and better. Still, if all the Tar Heels come back (Quentin Thomas is the only senior), they'll be preseason No. 1. Nobody can tell who jumps and who stays, but I have some UNC friends who believe Lawson goes and Hansbrough stays ... with a slight chance Ellington goes. A lot of that depends on how far they go this year. Still, they're adding three McDonald's A-A, plus they get Bobby Fraser back ... they'll be top 5 nationally as long as Hansbrough returns ... but so will Duke, barring any unforeseen defections.

SeattleIrish
03-10-2008, 02:50 AM
It seems that "everyone" on the IC board is saying Lawson is gone, including some who claim to be in-the-know. Unfortunately, I don't see any likelihood of Hansbrough leaving, as his stock will be the same after his senior year, and he'll break all sorts of ACC records next year.

The only bright spot there will be UNC being pretty suspect at the point if Lawson is gone; no telling how Bobby Frasor reacts coming back from that bad injury...pg should be a weak spot next year.

As for us, I think the biggest improvement might just come from Henderson. I think he'll be asked to play even more minutes and I think we'll see ACC first-team play from him. Some might argue this, but I also think Zoubek will show some great improvement, as his improvement from last year to this has been dramatic - lets just hope for an injury-free off-season!

s.i.

heyman25
03-10-2008, 03:06 AM
We also get Pocius back. I personally like Marty. Some may complain about his defense,but he drives to the basket are very aggressive and in control.

weezie
03-10-2008, 08:09 AM
A few more lbs on Singler will look great!

RelativeWays
03-10-2008, 08:30 AM
I think Hendo takes D'Marcs spot, Nolan has shown flashes of offensive potency and should really shine next year, Williams will take his current spot. Singler, Paulus and Scheyer all improve. Our big question marks are:

Taylor King: If he can learn some discipline, he can be a great weapon off the bench. Has a lot of work to do.

Brian Zoubek: I think Zoubs has really improved since he's come back from his ankle injury. If he can stay healthy and learn to be more assertive, I think he could average 8-10 pts a game for us next year, plus improving his rebounding.

Lance Thomas: I think Lance has regressed this year. He needs to bulk up a little, and like Zoubek, needs to be more assertive. I really think Lance has talent, but hasn't figured out how to play consistently yet.

Olek Czyz: I know he's tall, but supposedly, he's more of a finesse type player. He could compliment Singler very well if he can score consistently.

X Factors: I think Marty and Dave can contribute to next years team, Dave with his defensive, and Marty with his offense. Marty really looked more confident with the ball this year before the injury. It will be nice to see how he recovers. Did he get a medical redshirt?

SMO
03-10-2008, 08:30 AM
I see the state of North Carolina as the central point of power in the conference next year. WF will be very good, I think NC State will have improved play at the point and be very good, and Duke & UNC will be awesome. Outside the state of NC, I think Miami will be a good team then there will be everyone else. VaTech might also be good but who knows. They didn't beat anyone good this year but they didn't have too many bad losses either.

RelativeWays
03-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Isn't UNC bringing in two more big guys next year? If Tyler doens't leave they could be a nightmare. If I were Alex Stepheson, I'd consider a transfer, especially since he's improved his play this year.

Wake could be scary next year. Who are they losing...Harvey Hale?

SMO
03-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Isn't UNC bringing in two more big guys next year? If Tyler doens't leave they could be a nightmare. If I were Alex Stepheson, I'd consider a transfer, especially since he's improved his play this year.

Wake could be scary next year. Who are they losing...Harvey Hale?

I think UNC is bringing in at least two bigs next year and another 2 (twins) the year after. It's going to be insane. They have a couple guards too but I see them being very front-court loaded which will make them strong in certain areas, but I see the team dynamics going problematic.

RepoMan
03-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately, I don't see any likelihood of Hansbrough leaving, as his stock will be the same after his senior year, and he'll break all sorts of ACC records next year.

What were the odds of Shav going pro early? You just never know.

yancem
03-10-2008, 09:48 AM
It seems that "everyone" on the IC board is saying Lawson is gone, including some who claim to be in-the-know. Unfortunately, I don't see any likelihood of Hansbrough leaving, as his stock will be the same after his senior year, and he'll break all sorts of ACC records next year.

s.i.

I wonder if Lawson's injuries are a double edged sword. On the one hand, he missed several games and even having now returned might not have the same impact as he would have had which might negatively impact his draft position. On the other hand though, he may be apprehensive about staying for fear that he gets injured again next year. I think that Ellington is not ready for the nba but wouldn't be too surprised if he thinks he is. As for Hansolo, the only way he declares is if both Lawson and Ellington go and UNC wins the NC. Even then, I don't know if I would bank on it.

They are bringing in 2 more bigs next year (and 3 the year after that). The thing is that only 2 of the 5 bigs will likely play at one time and if Lawson and Ellington leave, the back court will be significantly less talented and less experienced. Someone has to get the bigs the ball. UNC's outlook next year is pretty clouded; they could be completely dominate (if everyone returns) or could be somewhat mediocre (if several defections).

sagegrouse
03-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Isn't this a topic for May? Because:

a. This season isn't over yet

b. We don't know who is leaving early

c. We don't know who is transferring

Greetings from the Rockies

sagegrouse

robobevan
03-10-2008, 10:08 AM
I disagree with RelativeWays about Lance Thomas. I think he has shown as much improvement as anybody on the team this year and has been a very valuable and important contributer. He is much more under control on defense. Last year he would just throw his stomach and hips out at the offensive player and be called for the immediate foul. This year he plays much better position defense and has learned how to draw charges. He is also coming down with much stronger rebounds. On offense he again is much more under control. He obviously has great quickness, but his moves are less frenetic this year. He also understands his role on the offense this year- setting the picks up top and getting a few layups and put backs. I really believe his improvement is one of the key reasons for our success this year. I hope he can show that same improvement over this off season. It will go a long way toward filling that need for big men that many on the board feel.

ClosetHurleyFan
03-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Agree with you.....lawson really is the key to how dominate Carolina is next year. Although one more variable for you. Although not as athletic as Lawson, I think Bobby Frasor could do a great job running a veteran team and the point guard coming in Larry Drew, while not nearly as dynamic as Lawson is supposed to be a very smart, cerebral ball player. If he is something like a young Derrick Phelps, which he has been compared to, then the drop off might not be so bad.

Matches
03-10-2008, 10:22 AM
I think the ACC as a whole will be stronger in '09. VaTech and Wake are clearly on the rise - both will be very good in '09. Duke and UNC will of course still be there. GT and NCSU both have potential as well - I agree that some of State's chemistry issues will be solved when Hickson inevitably departs, plus they get their PG back. I also expect BC's young players to improve, and I don't think they'll sit in the basement for long.

UVa is in trouble, and FSU has some real issues, but outside of those two teams, anyone in the league could challenge for an NCAA spot in '09.

Saratoga2
03-10-2008, 10:23 AM
I think Hendo takes D'Marcs spot, Nolan has shown flashes of offensive potency and should really shine next year, Williams will take his current spot. Singler, Paulus and Scheyer all improve. Our big question marks are:

Taylor King: If he can learn some discipline, he can be a great weapon off the bench. Has a lot of work to do.

Brian Zoubek: I think Zoubs has really improved since he's come back from his ankle injury. If he can stay healthy and learn to be more assertive, I think he could average 8-10 pts a game for us next year, plus improving his rebounding.

Lance Thomas: I think Lance has regressed this year. He needs to bulk up a little, and like Zoubek, needs to be more assertive. I really think Lance has talent, but hasn't figured out how to play consistently yet.

Olek Czyz: I know he's tall, but supposedly, he's more of a finesse type player. He could compliment Singler very well if he can score consistently.

X Factors: I think Marty and Dave can contribute to next years team, Dave with his defensive, and Marty with his offense. Marty really looked more confident with the ball this year before the injury. It will be nice to see how he recovers. Did he get a medical redshirt?

Paulus, Scheyer, Henderson and Singler are all starters for certain. The fifth starter is less certain. Zoubek is improving and I disagree with you about Thomas and think he also is improving this season. The question is whether coach K will adjust his thinking and find a home on the starting team for a big guy who is not as agile or an agile smaller guy. Maybe it will be a mix of the two.

Smith is a solid prospect to play if we go with 5 smalls and should be the first off the bench. Marty should be back and in good form and Williams is a 6'4" guard with reportedly good defensive skills, quickness and length. Both Pocius and Williams will be good substitutes for Henderson and Scheyer, and Scheyer may also sub in at point at times.

Olek sounds more like a tough determined kid with some bulk and a high energy style of play. He sounds more to me like a sub at 4 or 5 than a finesse player outside.

King has loads of ability but needs to make strides to be a big contributor. Even his shooting has been off lately, so he needs to work hard to make a big impact next year.

By my count, That makes 11 players with 4 in the back and King as a swing man back or front. Of the 5, 4 will be experienced players.

We will have 6 guards and 5 of those will have experience.

It would seem that we should be injury proof and foul proof next year. Hope nobody leaves early.

ClosetHurleyFan
03-10-2008, 10:24 AM

I think everyone, Duke and Carolina better have them strapped on tight when they go to Winston Salem next year. Those guards are going to be great at Wake next year, I think scarry good, now that they will have the freshman inconsistency behind them.

sandinmyshoes
03-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Hard to get a grip on things until the deadline passes for early entry.

Like others, I too am hearing the Lawson is gone, however. That will leave UNC a big hole to fill. According to my UNC friends, Williams must be worried about it too, as they are reported to be looking hard at a kid name Tinsley, a combo guard, from the west coast. I think he was committed to Pepperdine but got out of the committment after a coaching change. Whatever else, without Lawson the point will be a question mark.

I think Duke and Wake are the surest bets for improvements. Wake's should be the most noticable.

Dukiedevil
03-10-2008, 12:11 PM
I think everyone, Duke and Carolina better have them strapped on tight when they go to Winston Salem next year. Those guards are going to be great at Wake next year, I think scarry good, now that they will have the freshman inconsistency behind them.

Totally agree with this. Gaudio seems to be doing ok for himself. Heck we lost to them THIS year. Next year is going to be nuts.

The problem this year is they didn't know how to win on the road. Sophomores tend be better at this than freshmen as they know what to expect, although I would guess their first visit to Cameron Indoor will be somewhat of a shock :)

gofurman
03-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Real hard to say, especially since I haven't taken a look at the recruiting classes of teams other than NCSU, UNC and Duke.

Well, first I think returning upperclassmen (think Nelson's improvement) are more important than recruits. Second, Wake has the number one recruiting class.

FerryFor50
03-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Well, first I think returning upperclassmen (think Nelson's improvement) are more important than recruits. Second, Wake has the number one recruiting class.

Very true.

And I also agree with everyone who thinks Wake will be a force next season.

jimsumner
03-10-2008, 12:50 PM
"It would seem that we should be injury proof and foul proof next year."

Please, please, please retract this sentence as soon as possible. The Woof gods are literally jumping up and down in excitement.

devildeac
03-10-2008, 02:12 PM
"It would seem that we should be injury proof and foul proof next year."

Please, please, please retract this sentence as soon as possible. The Woof gods are literally jumping up and down in excitement.

Will this help?(or does it have to be by the original poster?)

Injury proof is an impossibility as is foul proof, especially considering acc refs and the Duke name on the front of the jersey(anyone remember the Wake game this year and the md game in 2006 and the f$u game after the 'improper technical' in 2005 and..., you get the idea)?

Whaddaya think Mr. Sumner? Are we safer now?

jimsumner
03-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Well, Devildeac, at least we're skating on thicker ice now. But any Duke fan can tell you that the injury-gods can be very fickle and very cruel. Best not to antagonize them.

devildeac
03-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Well, Devildeac, at least we're skating on thicker ice now. But any Duke fan can tell you that the injury-gods can be very fickle and very cruel. Best not to antagonize them.

Can the potential damage be limited by repeated posting by numerous posters or can it only be rectified by apologizing/redaction by the original poster?

Indoor66
03-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Can the potential damage be limited by repeated posting by numerous posters or can it only be rectified by apologizing/redaction by the original poster?

I think the gods require human sacrifice....

elvis14
03-10-2008, 05:15 PM

Not it! I said it first you have to pick someone else!

Olympic Fan
03-10-2008, 05:30 PM

Don't get carried away -- Wake's class is very good, but UNC landed three McDonald's A-A and both Davis and Zeller are concensus top 20 prospects (lot of debate about Drew, who is a top 75 guy on some lists.

Wake's class contains one top 10 guy (Aminu) and two more bigs with mixed reactions. I've seen Ty Walker listed as a top 25 guy, but I've also seen him listed as a top 75 guy. Woods is ranked anywhere for top 40 to barely top 100.

I think most gurus would rate UNC's class No. 1.

FSU also has a deep five-man class. Chris Singleton is a 6-8 McDonald's A-A from Georgia, but 6-4 Luke Loucks and 6-10 Xavier Gibson are both highly regarded.

PS It's true that UNC already has commitments from three junior big men for next year. But all three, along with Zeller, are more perimeter oriented bigs. Davis is a banger -- and I agree that it might get crowded underneath if Hansbrough returns, along with Thompson and Stepheson (plus they sometimes use Green at the four -- they did it a lot Saturday night).

PS To the guy who listed Scheyer as a sure starter next year -- are you really sure? You don't think he might not remain as the team's sixth man? That way Smith replaces Nelson in the lineup, sharing the backcourt with Paulus, with Henderson and Singler at the forwards and Thomas/Zoubek contending for the starting center job. You still have E-Will coming off the bench in Smith's role this year ... then we see what we get out of Taylor King, David McClure, Marty Pocius and Oleg Czyz.

Of course, a long, long way to go before we can start guessing about next year.

The1Bluedevil
03-10-2008, 06:44 PM
My opinion is that if Lawson goes I simply don't care who Carolina has, Duke will be better. I may be wrong but UNC can't replace his abilities with Davis and or Frasor next year.

Will be stunned if the ACC is not the best conference next yr.

Lotus000
03-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Just a few clarifications:

-- Tyrese Rice is only a junior. But there is a chance he'll turn pro early. Without him -- and with Blair and Oates also gone, BC is a second-division team.

I just don't see any way Rice DOESN'T leave after this year. He's made himself some money this year...he was NASTY in BC's game v. UNC.

gofurman
03-10-2008, 11:25 PM
I just don't see any way Rice DOESN'T leave after this year. He's made himself some money this year...he was NASTY in BC's game v. UNC.

appreciate the clarification. Thought he was a senior.

devildeac
03-10-2008, 11:45 PM

I nominate.... no, I just can't do that in light of the murder on the unc campus last week

whereinthehellami
03-11-2008, 09:05 AM
UNC - Stays put until we see who leaves. Davis is going to thrive.
Duke - Stays put for now. Will miss Nelson on D for sure.
Clemson - Moves down a little. Hammonds is a tougher loss than Mays.
VT - Moves up a game? Only lose Washington...a plus.
Miami - Moving down. Lose King and I think McClinton is gone.
Maryland - Moving down. Losing Osby and Gist will definately hurt.
GT - Stays about the same. Not sold on the team chemistry.
WF - Moves up a game or so. Really depends on chemistry.
FSU - Stays about the same. Lose alot of guards...how good is Singleton?
UVA - Moves down a game or so. Ouch. Leito's head explodes.
BC - Moves down a game or so. Rice has got to be gone. SOS...not!!
NSCU - Moving up, unless Lowe has no clue and the chemistry issues linger.

BlueBlood112883
03-11-2008, 09:13 AM
UNC - Stays put until we see who leaves. Davis is going to thrive.
Duke - Stays put for now. Will miss Nelson on D for sure.
Clemson - Moves down a little. Hammonds is a tougher loss than Mays.
VT - Moves up a game? Only lose Washington...a plus.
Miami - Moving down. Lose King and I think McClinton is gone.
Maryland - Moving down. Losing Osby and Gist will definately hurt.
GT - Stays about the same. Not sold on the team chemistry.
WF - Moves up a game or so. Really depends on chemistry.
FSU - Stays about the same. Lose alot of guards...how good is Singleton?
UVA - Moves down a game or so. Ouch. Leito's head explodes.
BC - Moves down a game or so. Rice has got to be gone. SOS...not!!
NSCU - Moving up, unless Lowe has no clue and the chemistry issues linger.

McClinton is a junior and will be back for one more go round.

UNC will get Frasor back which is a huge plus. He is a pretty good player and very good defender *bout the only kid on UNC I can at least somewhat respect*

I think Duke, UNC, and Wake will battle for the top 3 slots with VT, and Miami battling for the 4th and 5th spots. Ramblin Wreck is the best of the rest since NC State hates each other so much, UVA lost their best player in quite awhile, BC should lose Rice unless he just doesn't show up at NBA workouts, Clemson I have no clue on how losing Hammonds and Mays will hurt them and to what extent, FSU gets younger but loses power on the perimeter, and MD loses what made them somewhat decent in their bigs..........

yancem
03-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Isn't this a topic for May? Because:

a. This season isn't over yet

b. We don't know who is leaving early

c. We don't know who is transferring

Greetings from the Rockies

sagegrouse

Normally I would agree, but there is a dead spot until the conference tourney and I need something else to obsess on for a day or two.

whereinthehellami
03-11-2008, 10:54 AM
McClinton is a junior and will be back for one more go round.

I meant that I think he goes pro. Not that I think he should or that he will even get drafted.

I think Duke, UNC, and Wake will battle for the top 3 slots with VT, and Miami battling for the 4th and 5th spots. Ramblin Wreck is the best of the rest since NC State hates each other so much, UVA lost their best player in quite awhile, BC should lose Rice unless he just doesn't show up at NBA workouts, Clemson I have no clue on how losing Hammonds and Mays will hurt them and to what extent, FSU gets younger but loses power on the perimeter, and MD loses what made them somewhat decent in their bigs..........

I think Wake looks good on paper but wouldn't be suprised if they are somewhat of a dissapointment next year. I think they had a better year than many thought because they played together. Their whole was better than their parts. They add some big names next year and I'm not sure that will help the cohesiveness that they developed this year.

VT was in the same boat as Wake this year but doesn't add much for next year. I think VT will keep the train rolling as long as they don't lose any unexpected players or their Coach. Chemistry is a big factor for alot of teams and a factor that is often under appreciated. I'll be looking to see how this little experiment plays out next year between Wake and VT.

whereinthehellami
03-12-2008, 08:32 AM
A list of possible early entrants.

UNC - Lawson (possible). Ellington (if they win it all?). Hans (?).
Duke - Singler and Henderson could probably go if they wanted.
Clemson - ?
VT - Jeff Allen (needs another year or two).
Miami - McClinton (possible, depends on tournaments)
Maryland - Vasquez (longshot, Would he get drafted?)
GT - ?
Wake - Johnson (not sure if he would get drafted high enough).
FSU - ?
UVA - No one.
BC - Rice (why would he stay?)
NSCU - Hickson (sounds like he is gone).

Who did I miss?

PatZorro
03-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Regarding WFU next year, chemistry is the key. As good as their guards were this year, their best players, and the ones most likely to improve over the summer, were bigs. Johnson was studly, and so was the big center whose name escapes me. The center has some attitude problems, but they are not the sort of problems that lead to off court troubles or that affect team chemistry. He is punkish, but he may grow out of it over the summer.

I see real potential for a NCSU type situation. WFU's studly recruiting class loads up on post players. All three bigs could spend time at the 4 or 5. One, Aminu, could play SF. I don't know for sure, but that is the report. Still the other 2 are bigs and bigs only right now. WFU already has good players at those spots. Like NCSU last year, when Costner and McCauley came on late, Hickson was not going to fit in chemistry wise.

On paper, WFU should be good. But five of their best players are ideally situated for the post, and I fail to see how Gaudio gets more than 3 on court at once, and that is assuming that Aminu's perimeter skills are more highly advanced that most frosh. He projects as a wing at the next level, but his skills are very Deng(ish), but not that good. He is a PF in HS, so I think he spends time there next year. If Johnson leaves, this will ameliorate this somewhat, but I doubt it will happen with no meaningful Post Season to showcase his skills.

As for WFU's guards, we may be remembering them as being better than they actually were. They had great games against us, but that was one of their better games, by far. Their shooting and decision making really need to improve, especially with all those posts needing the pill next year.

At BC, I disagree on Rice. He is a victim of a class loaded at the guard slot. He would be after Rice, Mayo, Gordon, Lawson, Singletary, and a few others. He is an undersized SG, or a PG who dials his own number WAAAAAAY too much. I say he comes back because next year's draft projects to be much weaker, especially at the guard slot.

PatZorro

ClosetHurleyFan
03-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Frasor is about the only guy on current Tar Heel team you can at least respect? Give me a break. Give me the list of guys on the current team not worthy of your respect and why, in particular, I want to see the reasons you cant respect Marcus Ginyard, Tyler Hansborough, Deon Thompson, Alex Stephesen, Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington.....run through all the names and give me some good rationale to back-up what is an otherwise inflammatory statement.

whereinthehellami
03-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Every year there are some. This year should be no different. Some guys don't play as much as they like and other guys realize that they aren't ACC caliber players.

UNC - Stevenson (lost in the trees).
Duke - Hopefully everyone comes back.
Clemson - ?
VT - ?
Miami - ?
Maryland - I would think at least one of the six frustrated freshmen bolt.
GT - ?
Wake - ?
FSU - ?
UVA - Does it matter?
BC - ?
NCSU - Depends on if Hickson leaves and if Lowe cleans some house.

-jk
03-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Let's save the rest of this discussion for the off-season. Lord knows, we need topics then and this is prime material. Let's not waste it!

Ant there's still a lot of this season left to talk about.

-jk