PDA

View Full Version : Which Duke early departer did you miss the most?

FerryFor50
03-09-2008, 10:19 PM
For me, it was Luol Deng. Man, that kid would have had an awesome 4 years.

captmojo
03-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Mike Dunleavy. Two more years to follow after a championship.

weezie
03-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Brand had us right there, and the big body, too.

6th Man
03-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Elton Brand.....there is no telling what he could have done with 2 more years. Second on my list is Corey Maggette, he would have provided a lot of great memories with his athleticism. It would have been really interesting to see what he would have done his sophomore year.

captmojo
03-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Brand had us right there, and the big body, too.

OOOOHHHHH. Can I change my mind?

CameronBornAndBred
03-09-2008, 10:44 PM
He was so fun to watch play. I'm still amazed that he graduated early like he did, that must have taken one hell of a work ethic. Better yet is to see after his unfortunate accident that he has made the most of his degree.

_Gary
03-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Without hesitation, Elton.

Faison1
03-09-2008, 10:55 PM
That's funny....as I was mowing my lawn today, I found myself yearning for Elton Brand. Man, he would be able to punish Danny Green for atrocities we are all aware of.

dukegirlinsc
03-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Maggette.

juise
03-09-2008, 11:07 PM

I was pretty disappointed about that one, too. Having grown up in the Portland area and having played against him in high school, I was a big fan during my years at Duke. However, he would have only had one more year to chase the championship... he played 3 years with Carlos and Jason.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Maggette.

You just want his body... :D

Lauderdevil
03-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Shav.

Just kidding. Seems clear to me the guy who would have had the most impact with a four-year college career would have been Brand. We've never had power like that in the middle -- and you might recall we weren't too shabby even without him.

dukemsu
03-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Shav.

Just kidding. Seems clear to me the guy who would have had the most impact with a four-year college career would have been Brand. We've never had power like that in the middle -- and you might recall we weren't too shabby even without him.

Elton, with the exception of Shel, was the only protypical power player we've had in the last 10-15 years, and he would have been a huge addition to the 00 and 01 teams.

However, the 01 team won without him, so I'd have to say Luol. Oh, would he have helped in 06 vs. LSU.

JBDuke
03-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Elton, with the exception of Shel, was the only protypical power player we've had in the last 10-15 years, and he would have been a huge addition to the 00 and 01 teams.

However, the 01 team won without him, so I'd have to say Luol. Oh, would he have helped in 06 vs. LSU.

Exactly right. Brand had two more years after he left, and we won without him in '01, so he only could have made a difference in the tournament in '00 and maybe helped win a couple more games in '01. Whereas, Luol was the tonic we so desperately needed to complement Shelden and JJ in '05 and '06. He even would have been around last year and been the MAN. Josh could have stayed in a secondary role (which seems to have suited him better).

BD80
03-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Kobe

hondoheel
03-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Josh McRoberts

phaedrus
03-10-2008, 12:32 AM
Kobe

Would have been a pretty solid contributor by his junior year, 98-99. And that team was already pretty decent, if I'm remembering right.

throatybeard
03-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Beth Bauer. Extremely easy on the eyes.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20020715/sp1.jpg

Jumbo
03-10-2008, 01:38 AM
That's funny....as I was mowing my lawn today, I found myself yearning for Elton Brand. Man, he would be able to punish Danny Green for atrocities we are all aware of.

So ... many ... ways to respond. Must. Resist. Urge...

heyman25
03-10-2008, 02:42 AM
Elton Brand. I saw a Blue Devil Weekly and no contributions from the early departers for the new Building. Does the coaching staff still have any relationship with Maggette, Deng, or Brand.I think Brand married a Duke grad.

SeattleIrish
03-10-2008, 02:56 AM
I was really hoping to see Livingston suit up, if he counts at all - we would have been able to spare Paulus that horrible sophomore year and given us someone who could really slash to take the pressure off JJ and Williams.

Of course, that assumes he never got injured....

s.i.

dukeENG2003
03-10-2008, 08:23 AM
If he wouldn't have had eligibility problems, Maggette. Still the best athelete to ever wear a Duke uniform. Ruling that out:

If he hadn't had academic issues:

Will Avery

That kid was awesome (when he wore a Duke uniform).

RelativeWays
03-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Talent wise, Luol Deng. I would have loved to see him for at least two more years, we may have won it in 2006 had he stayed for his sophmore and junior years.

Missed opportunity: I'd say Josh McRoberts. Had he kept his attitude in check and committed himself to working on his O game, it would have benefitted not only this team, but his draft status.

devildeac
03-10-2008, 08:58 AM

umm, I think MD only had 1 year left...

yancem
03-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Talent wise, Luol Deng. I would have loved to see him for at least two more years, we may have won it in 2006 had he stayed for his sophmore and junior years.

Missed opportunity: I'd say Josh McRoberts. Had he kept his attitude in check and committed himself to working on his O game, it would have benefitted not only this team, but his draft status.

You bring up an interesting question. Do you choose the person who would have had the largest impact or the player who would have benefited the most from returning for a few more years?

In the former category, I think that Deng would have had the biggest impact on the team's success if he had returned. The '05-'07 teams had solid talent but were missing what he would have brought to the team. '05 and '06 would have greatly resembled the '04 team that reached the final four. Brand probably would have been the most dominate player had he returned (although Maggette would have been interesting). If Hansolo can dominate the college game the way he is can you imaging what a junior or senior Brand could do.

The ladder category I think comes down to 2 players, Avery and McRoberts. Avery would most likely been an AA his junior year and had a chance to become more of a team leader instead a member of the band. With that experience he probably would have been drafted higher (although he was already a lottery pick) and been better prepared to play at nba level. If he had stuck around for even 1 more year, I think that not only would he still be in the league but possibly a star. As for McRoberts, I think you said it all.

EarlJam
03-10-2008, 09:27 AM

Ditto. Dunleavy. It really surprised me that he left. I expected Brand to go. But I thought Dunleavy had said, "I'm a four-year guy" and he was so "hoops-smart" being a coach's son and all.

He could have had his jersey in the rafters and I was looking forward to him becoming one of my all-time favorite Duke players.

Oh well.

-EarlJam

johnb
03-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Avery didn't seem to like school and would have been an unhappy second stringer behind JW, while Maggette never unpacked his bag. With Brand, we'd have threatened an undefeated season or two, and that would have been fun though a tad boring for everyone concerned, including him. With Luol, we might have won an extra couple of championships, but I agreed with what I took to be his thought process: "I love college but am clearly ready to start in the NBA, am from a noble but poor family from one of the most war-torn areas of the planet. It would be selfish for me to extend my college years when I'd be sacrificing millions of dollars that could be wisely used." I also agree with what I took to be Dunleavy's thought process: "while from a wealthy family, I'm not talented enough to be a superstar unless surrounded by superstars, and so I better grab NBA lottery money before they find out that I'm second round talent." All in all, better for the above to have left early.

All in all: JW because it would have been a good year, he's a good guy, and it might have kept him away from motorcycles.

Matches
03-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Probably Deng, just because the '05 team was so shorthanded without him. Add him to that team and it would have been a legit NC contender.

Deng's departure was also a little unexpected. I wouldn't really have been surprised if he left after his soph year, but losing him as a freshman was a big blow.

The Brand/ Avery/ Maggette departures were hard emotionally, because up until then we hasn't lost anyone and then all of a sudden the team was gutted. I can't really say I *missed* any of them, though, because I really enjoyed watching the '00 team develop (and of course '01 was great).

UrinalCake
03-10-2008, 11:13 AM
It's funny, in my head I don't consider Brand and Williams to be "early departures" because it was the right decision for them to go. Williams and Boozer also graduated in three years, so it's not like they were sacrificing anything education-wise to go. Maggette and Deng are debatable; obviously they've had success in the NBA but if they had stayed another year maybe they would have been drafted higher and/or been able to play more right off the bat.

While Maggette was talented, it's hard to know how much his presence would have affected the rest of the team. His repuation in the NBA is being somewhat selfish and taking a lot of shots to get his numbers; whether that's really true and whether it would have happened at Duke is something we'll never know.

Is it true that Dwight Howard was considering Duke? Man would that have been awesome.

SilkyJ
03-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Deng or Brand. In either case I think we get to the FF and have a real good shot at another championship if they stay for another year or two...

Maybe we could turn this into a poll? Seeing as how we didn't start having early departures until '99, its pretty easy to populate: (this does not include high schoolers who never set foot on campus and transfers)

Brand
Avery
Maggette
Boozer
Jwill
Dunleavy
Deng
Shav
McRoberts

Am I missing any? I think thats all of 'em....

DukeDevilDeb
03-10-2008, 12:35 PM
It's funny, in my head I don't consider Brand and Williams to be "early departures" because it was the right decision for them to go. Williams and Boozer also graduated in three years, so it's not like they were sacrificing anything education-wise to go. Maggette and Deng are debatable; obviously they've had success in the NBA but if they had stayed another year maybe they would have been drafted higher and/or been able to play more right off the bat.

While Maggette was talented, it's hard to know how much his presence would have affected the rest of the team. His repuation in the NBA is being somewhat selfish and taking a lot of shots to get his numbers; whether that's really true and whether it would have happened at Duke is something we'll never know.

Is it true that Dwight Howard was considering Duke? Man would that have been awesome.

Jason Williams graduated in three years, the first and ONLY person to ever do so. Mike Dunleavy has come back and finished his degree, as did Chris Carawell a couple of years ago.

CARLOS BOOZER HAS NOT TAKEN ONE MORE COURSE SINCE HE LEFT HERE. He absolutely did not graduate in three years and has not been convinced that it might be meaningful for him to come back and finish.

grc5
03-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Michael Thompson. If he doesn't transfer, we contain Okafor in the 2004 national semifinal after Shelden fouls out, and we go on to win the national championship :p

houstondukie
03-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Shaun Livingston.

We overachieved in 2005, earning a #1 seed.

Ewing played out of position at point gaurd and his shooting suffered. With Livingston, Ewing and JJ on the wings, and Shel down low, we would of done more with than #1 seed.

Luol could of been on that team too had he come back.
(Shav, Dockery, Melchionni, and Demarcus off the bench)

FerryFor50
03-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Michael Thompson. If he doesn't transfer, we contain Okafor in the 2004 national semifinal after Shelden fouls out, and we go on to win the national championship :p
I don't even remember Michael Thompson...

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Eric Boateng.

He's been playing well at AZ State and could have been the "big" that we've needed (until Zoubeck is ready to be a major contributor).

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Ditto. Dunleavy. It really surprised me that he left. I expected Brand to go. But I thought Dunleavy had said, "I'm a four-year guy" and he was so "hoops-smart" being a coach's son and all.

He could have had his jersey in the rafters and I was looking forward to him becoming one of my all-time favorite Duke players.

Oh well.

-EarlJam
I concur with all you've said and would add that Dunleavy could have been a national player of the year had he stayed.

Classof06
03-10-2008, 03:55 PM
1. Luol Deng - I may be biased because Luol played during my college career but I think he's quietly one of the best players Duke has had this decade; it's no surprise that he was a huge piece on Duke's only FF team since 2001. It's also no surprise that JJ Redick had his best NCAA tournament with Luol. In both 04-05 and 05-06, Duke really seemed to miss that 3rd player to star alongside JJ and Shelden. With Deng, I like our chances to make the FF in both those years.

2. Shaun Livingston - All my Duke buddies can tell you that til this day, I maintain that if Luol Deng returned for his sophomore year and Livingston came to Duke for the 04-05 season, we would've gone undefeated. Deng leaving and Livingston heading for the NBA is a wound that Duke's program is just now recovering from. Those were 2 highly unforseen events, at least occurring in tandem with each other.

3. Josh McRoberts - It's clear both parties suffered from Josh's decision to leave for the NBA. Josh obviously wasn't ready and, IMO, Duke would currently be the best team in the nation with him (attitude or not - winning cures all ills).

gotham devil
03-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Elton Brand

dukegirlinsc
03-10-2008, 04:06 PM
You just want his body... :D

I've been exposed! :eek: ;)

BobbyFan
03-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Deng because I felt like we only got to see a small sample of what he had to offer. He really had the ability to dominate the college game. Would have been right up there with Laettner, Ferry, Hill, etc. had he stayed the full 4.

Kdogg
03-10-2008, 07:24 PM

Oh well.

-EarlJam

The thing people do not mention about Mike is that he would have never gone higher than three in any draft. I think that basically forced him out the door.

Any way I vote for Elton. He could have been a Duke legend.

What about the reverse of this thread? Had Elton stayed Boozer doesn't come and Battier doesn't become the MAN. With Deng around JJ doesn't get all those scoring records and player of the year. Maybe neither JJ or Shel get their jersey's retired. The door swings both ways.

Ignatius07
03-10-2008, 09:15 PM
What about the reverse of this thread? Had Elton stayed Boozer doesn't come and Battier doesn't become the MAN. With Deng around JJ doesn't get all those scoring records and player of the year. Maybe neither JJ or Shel get their jersey's retired. The door swings both ways.

You bring up some interesting points. But I would certainly trade one more season from Deng for having both JJ and Shelden's jerseys retired. I realize that is an easy decision for me, personally, to make, but I think that both those guys would have to at least consider that trade (assuming Deng comes back for one year, but no promise of a championship, and also assuming that both JJ and Shelden have the foreknowledge that they will otherwise only reach the Sweet 16 in their junior and senior years, and still have their 04-05 abilities, as opposed to their 07-08 abilities).

As for Brand, that is a tougher call because - as others pointed out above - we already one a title in one of the two years he would have been eligible.

Turk
03-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Intriguing. My picks:

1. Elton. Would have loved to see him own the paint and bully the ACC for a couple more years. Never felt more strongly about any other Duke player as a can't-miss NBA All-Star; sure hope he can recover from the Duke NBA Career-Threatening Injury Curse... (whoever laid that one on the boys in True Blue is seriously evil... almost as bad as being a drummer for Spinal Tap...)

2. Luol. We caught some glimpses of ol' Hubie's "Tremendous Upside Potential." If he had stayed the full 4, how many "is he better than Grant Hill" debates would there be? (and those could well happen in another few years...)

3. Corey. He was a eye-popping human highlight reel when Duke beat Temple in Cameron North in the NCAAs. But there would have been risk of implosion when he was implicated in the Myron (wonderfully named) Piggie AAU mess. Duke caught a break that he was gone when that hit the news...

I can't really choose any of the 3-yr guys who left early; that's pretty much a full career these days... (hint hint Mr. Hanstravel...)

Turk

(P.S. How's that for a first post? I'd like to use a Princess Bride quote in my signature but am afraid that would be incorrectly construed as currying favor with the moderators...)

John Cox
03-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Elton Brand

Atlanta Duke
03-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Elton Brand. I saw a Blue Devil Weekly and no contributions from the early departers for the new Building. Does the coaching staff still have any relationship with Maggette, Deng, or Brand.I think Brand married a Duke grad.

Link? That is interesting since I understand K has sought to maintain links to alums who left early given the change in the NBA post mid-90s

EarlJam
03-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Funny no one has mentioned McCaffery.

Remember after Duke's 1st national championship, he announced he was transferring to Vanderbilt. I was highly steamed, as I thought it would hurt Duke big-time. Didn't his parents have issues with Duke and playing time and such? He didn't exactly leave on the best terms did he?

As it was, Duke went on to win another championship the next season, but when that news broke, it was huge.

-EarlJam

yancem
03-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Funny no one has mentioned McCaffery.

Remember after Duke's 1st national championship, he announced he was transferring to Vanderbilt. I was highly steamed, as I thought it would hurt Duke big-time. Didn't his parents have issues with Duke and playing time and such? He didn't exactly leave on the best terms did he?

As it was, Duke went on to win another championship the next season, but when that news broke, it was huge.

-EarlJam

I don't think it was playing time as much as they felt his only chance at reaching the nba was at the pg position and it was obvious that Hurley was going to dominate that position for the rest of McCaffery's career. Or at least that was my understanding. All in all, I think he made a poor choice. He went on to dominate in the SEC (winning player of the year I believe) but never made it to "the league" and missed out on another champoinship.

FerryFor50
03-11-2008, 12:52 AM
1. Luol Deng - I may be biased because Luol played during my college career but I think he's quietly one of the best players Duke has had this decade; it's no surprise that he was a huge piece on Duke's only FF team since 2001. It's also no surprise that JJ Redick had his best NCAA tournament with Luol. In both 04-05 and 05-06, Duke really seemed to miss that 3rd player to star alongside JJ and Shelden. With Deng, I like our chances to make the FF in both those years.

2. Shaun Livingston - All my Duke buddies can tell you that til this day, I maintain that if Luol Deng returned for his sophomore year and Livingston came to Duke for the 04-05 season, we would've gone undefeated. Deng leaving and Livingston heading for the NBA is a wound that Duke's program is just now recovering from. Those were 2 highly unforseen events, at least occurring in tandem with each other.

3. Josh McRoberts - It's clear both parties suffered from Josh's decision to leave for the NBA. Josh obviously wasn't ready and, IMO, Duke would currently be the best team in the nation with him (attitude or not - winning cures all ills).

re: McRoberts...

I think part of his attitude issues were because he'd make great passes and no one would convert the shots. You could tell it in his body language. I think he should have toughed it out and been a part of this year's team. They'd have been a great(er) team with him.

FerryFor50
03-11-2008, 01:10 AM
I don't think it was playing time as much as they felt his only chance at reaching the nba was at the pg position and it was obvious that Hurley was going to dominate that position for the rest of McCaffery's career. Or at least that was my understanding. All in all, I think he made a poor choice. He went on to dominate in the SEC (winning player of the year I believe) but never made it to "the league" and missed out on another champoinship.

I went and looked at McCaffrey's stats after he left Duke... and WOW!

I didn't realize he was that great. I was pretty young when he played at Duke... 52% from 3 at 30 min per game? 20ppg at Vandy? Sheesh!

That one stings... kinda like Mike Chappell hitting jumpers on Duke when they played Michigan St.

Matches
03-11-2008, 10:59 AM

As I recall his parents had no major problems with Duke, or at least if they did, that's not why he transferred.

But no - he did not leave on the best of terms. Best for everyone that he departed.

hurleyfor3
03-11-2008, 12:10 PM
McCaffrey just wanted to play point. Funny thing is, he would have had that chance for the few weeks Hurley was injured. Don't remember any parental pressure; that was Chris Burgess.

Echoing Throaty's comment, many ladies on campus missed McCaffrey for having been easy on their eyes.

I don't think his presence would've helped much in '93. We wouldn't have beaten any of that year's Final Four teams under tournament conditions (I know we beat two of them in Cameron).

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Would have been a pretty solid contributor by his junior year, 98-99. And that team was already pretty decent, if I'm remembering right.

you mean would have been one of our best players his freshmen year? thats how good kobe is, and still was when he was younger

banneheim
03-11-2008, 03:22 PM
What about Boozer? I'm surprised his name doesn't appear more often. I just can't forget him getting blocked during the Indiana game on a dunk by a guard and ofcourse, the non-call on the attempted tip in to win it.

Dukie4Life
03-11-2008, 04:00 PM
I really feel like Mike Dunleavy was a big disappointment to leave early especially b/c he struggled so much with Golden State. I was also heart broken to see Luol Deng leave. I really thought with all the trials and tribulations that he spoke about of his life a four year college experience is what he wanted. Leaving after one season was a huge shock, I can see after three and maybe proving yourself like a Jason Williams did.

There you have it!

Kdogg
03-11-2008, 06:43 PM
I really feel like Mike Dunleavy was a big disappointment to leave early especially b/c he struggled so much with Golden State. I was also heart broken to see Luol Deng leave. I really thought with all the trials and tribulations that he spoke about of his life a four year college experience is what he wanted. Leaving after one season was a huge shock, I can see after three and maybe proving yourself like a Jason Williams did.

There you have it!

Luol wanted to stay. Family issues prevented it. You can not blame a guy for trying to take care of family (same goes for Avery and Shav).

devildeac
03-11-2008, 11:30 PM
I kinda miss Shelden, Shav and Nick who all departed WAY to early from the 2004 NCAA semi-final game...:(