PDA

View Full Version : What happend to our 3 pointers?

drion97
03-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Early in the season Jon and DeMarcus were great 3 point shooters, and it was a big part of our game. I feel like I haven't seen that in at least 10 games.

Paulus, and to some extent Gerald, stepped it up hitting the 3, but I think that for Jon and DeMarcus, not being consistent on the 3 really hurt the rest of their game. I feel like Jon couldn't find a way to assert himself in the game at ALL today...

lmb
03-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Scheyer had defenders draped all over during the game. He could never get open. I swear he was fouled on a 3 near the end of the game. He fell down anyways.

SharkD
03-16-2007, 01:26 PM
Getting tackled after every 3-point attempt can have a deterrent effect on the desire to put up outside shots. Especially when the rotund officiating crew doesn't bother to notice when players get mugged possession after possession.

Cameron
03-16-2007, 02:48 PM
I swear he was fouled on a 3 near the end of the game.

He was hammered. Clearly a foul. However, it was also clear that the refs were going nowhere near that call. Can you imagine the outrage of it? Those refs probably would have been reprimaned for giving Duke a chance to win the game. Duke gets all the calls once again. It's the only reason they won. A bunch of ignorant BS like that.

The sad thing is, had they made the call (the right call), we would have won the game IMO. I think it would have been the play to push us over the edge. Oh well, I guess. It is now over.

OldSchool
03-16-2007, 02:53 PM
I think it was a lack of confidence that came from losing so many close games. As the season wore on everyone except Greg became a little gun-shy at putting up tough 3s at critical moments in the game, and so guys didn't work as hard later in the season to get themselves open for 3-pt attempts.

This team, with only one high quality, experienced 4 or 5 position player, played one of the toughest schedules in the country and in only 2 games, at MD and at UNC, were they smacked down and even in those cases, showed enough grit to make it a game in the second half. Just slightly better 3-pt shooting would have turned many of our close losses into close wins and people now bemoaning this team would have a radically different perspective on how good this team was.

Saratoga2
03-16-2007, 03:31 PM
I thought Demarcus lacked the shooting form to be consistent. He had some games where he hit, but with his flat shot, he wasn't the sort of dependable shooter that we would need.

Scheyer seemed to have the form but I think too often deferred to another player and maybe it did hurt his confidence. He has the ability with handle, size and shooting form to make it really tough on defenders but didn't exert his will except for a few games during the year. Maybe next year he will learn that he needs to become one of the prime scorers and act accordingly.

Paulus proved to really have a very good 3 point shot and Henderson could also be that kind of player. We didn't see enough of Marty to know his capabilities.

duke03
03-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Scheyer seemed to have the form but I think too often deferred to another player and maybe it did hurt his confidence. He has the ability with handle, size and shooting form to make it really tough on defenders but didn't exert his will except for a few games during the year. Maybe next year he will learn that he needs to become one of the prime scorers and act accordingly.

Scheyer stopped hitting threes when other teams realized that he can't beat anyone off the dribble. They started guarding him much farther out and much tighter.

HK Dukie
03-16-2007, 03:46 PM
duke03 I disagree. I think Scheyer is quite good off the dribble. He isn't a Jason Williams, but who is? (well, beside JWill)

Comparing him to other attention grabbing outside shooters in Duke's last 10 years (Redick, Langdon, Collins) and I think he compares quite favorably off the dribble in the freshman year.

However, the stat I find most remarkable and should shut up most of his critics (but it won't) is that Paulus is a 46% 3pt shooter. I believe that is the best % for a Duke guard, potentially ever.