PDA

View Full Version : Crowd chants?

Oh Canada
03-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Sure the game didn't turn out the way we obviously would have wanted but I must give a big thank you to the crowd last night. The noise on the television was deafening and it must have been turned down in order for us to hear the announcers....I love Dan Shulman by the way...good ole Canadian boy! He seems to be able to keep Dickie V in check more than anyone else.

Anyway, with close to 8 minutes left it was obvious the crazies were doing some sort of a travelling chant at "Hanstravel". We couldn't make out many from television.

Please fill us in on some of the chants used!!!???!!!

Duke09
03-09-2008, 03:41 PM
I was there. The cheer was:

"Hansbrough Travels, Every Time."

With Hansbrough said kind of sing song and then every syllable of "every time" empasized

Duke09
03-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Coach K told us we should not chant the names of players on other teams, unless the cheer was Hansbrough travels.

fishboy
03-09-2008, 04:05 PM
I believe the Chant was Tyler travels everytime.......or my hearing is really bad.

JDukie
03-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Fishboy is correct. Tyler travels every time.

And he does.

dukeENG2003
03-09-2008, 04:43 PM
K also told the students he didn't like 9F. I'm not sure how I feel about that. . .

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-09-2008, 04:47 PM
K also told the students he didn't like 9F. I'm not sure how I feel about that. . .
Was his comment in the context of showing respect in light of the recent murder?

I wonder what Coach K would say about the phrase "Eat s**t" which had been added to the fight songs.....

OZZIE4DUKE
03-09-2008, 04:50 PM

I can tell you how I feel about it - I don't like it one bit. Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell! predated K's time at Duke and it will outlive K's time at Duke, which I hope is many many more years. He needs to learn to live with it.

I understand why it wasn't used last night, but I don't particularly agree with that decision, or directive as the case was. When we took the lead 68 - 66, we should have shook the building with it.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Was his comment in the context of showing respect in light of the recent murder?

I wonder what Coach K would say about the phrase "Eat s**t" which had been added to the fight songs.....

I don't like the Eat s**t (should be Beat State!) and I don't like the you suck added to the "Hi (visitor's name here)".

devildeac
03-09-2008, 04:58 PM
I don't like the Eat s**t (should be Beat State!) and I don't like the you suck added to the "Hi (visitor's name here)".

I thought both of those cheers had disappeared many, many years ago. If they both resurfaced last PM, I am quite disappointed.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-09-2008, 05:01 PM
I thought both of those cheers had disappeared many, many years ago. If they both resurfaced last PM, I am quite disappointed.

The first one has been present all season long this year and last year.

MulletMan
03-09-2008, 05:08 PM
K didn't even say that he didn't like the chant. A girl in the crowd asked, "Are there any chants that we shouldn't be doing in light of the current situation? You know, like GTHCTGH?" And K responded with, "Yeah, let's not do that one tomorrow."

OZZIE4DUKE
03-09-2008, 05:24 PM
K didn't even say that he didn't like the chant. A girl in the crowd asked, "Are there any chants that we shouldn't be doing in light of the current situation? You know, like GTHCTGH?" And K responded with, "Yeah, let's not do that one tomorrow."

That makes me feel much better. I'd hate to be at odds with K on something as fundamental to Duke Basketball as Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell/GTHcGTH/9F :D

DukieInKansas
03-09-2008, 05:26 PM

Is that what they were saying after the introductions? I guess I need to get my ears checked - on my tv it sounded like Hi (visitor's name here), good luck. Is it time to look into adding surround sound to my tv - or clean my ears/get a hearing aid?

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-09-2008, 05:34 PM
That makes me feel much better. I'd hate to be at odds with K on something as fundamental to Duke Basketball as Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell/GTHcGTH/9F :D
This cheer we're discussing has been a part of Duke sports history since at least the 1959 Duke-Carolina football game and probably long before. The phrase "to hell with Carolina" was added to "Blue and White" following the '59 football game.

Bluedog
03-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Is that what they were saying after the introductions? I guess I need to get my ears checked - on my tv it sounded like Hi (visitor's name here), good luck. Is it time to look into adding surround sound to my tv - or clean my ears/get a hearing aid?

No, the vast majority of students do NOT add "you suck" after the player's name for the introductions. There is occasionally a contingent of 20 or so (sometimes loud) students that do it, but overwhelmingly, the Cameron Crazies don't condone this Maryland cheer. However, nobody else is saying anything during this time period, so even if it's a small number of students, you can hear them in the stadium. But for the vast majority of games, I'd say it's not audible for most spectators. On the other hand, the "eat s***" part of the song is done by a sizeable portion of the student body - I'd say at least 50%, if not more.

wumhenry
03-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Coach K told us we should not chant the names of players on other teams, unless the cheer was Hansbrough travels.
That's odd. I wonder why he thought it was OK to do it to Hansbrough but nobody else.

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-09-2008, 05:50 PM

And funny, too! "Hi Tyler! Good luck! (heh,heh)"

Folks trying to have their 10 seconds of fame my shouting out dumb stuff near the end of the anthem is high schoolish, too. But, most of all it makes me sad when the Crazies resort to stupid, potty mouth stuff. I wish this current crop was better than that. It just sort of tainted all the other wonderful stuff they did last night. And, don't get me wrong....they were in top form other than that. Bless their hearts.

Love, Ima

Bluedog
03-09-2008, 05:52 PM
That's odd. I wonder why he thought it was OK to do it to Hansbrough but nobody else.

Because Coach K realizes that Hansbrough travels....so the chant is just stating a fact.

wumhenry
03-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Because Coach K realizes that Hansbrough travels....so the chant is just stating a fact.

Is that just a conjecture on your part, or did K actually say that?

Bluedog
03-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Is that just a conjecture on your part, or did K actually say that?

Conjecture. Obviously, I don't know K's actual reasoning, but it would reasonable to assume that he said that would be an acceptable cheer because it's not particularly derisive, but rather informative to the officiating crew. :D

OZZIE4DUKE
03-09-2008, 06:18 PM
No, the vast majority of students do NOT add "you suck" after the player's name for the introductions. There is occasionally a contingent of 20 or so (sometimes loud) students that do it, but overwhelmingly, the Cameron Crazies don't condone this Maryland cheer. However, nobody else is saying anything during this time period, so even if it's a small number of students, you can hear them in the stadium. But for the vast majority of games, I'd say it's not audible for most spectators.

Usually, that's the case, but last night after the first intro I noticed that most of the DUMB members were saying it too.

devillighter
03-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Usually, that's the case, but last night after the first intro I noticed that most of the DUMB members were saying it too.

In my years here (yesterday was my last game) it's only been done for the introductions at the unc game. I still don't think it's appropriate (same with the eat s**t in the fight song and in the middle of gthc)

It seemed like DUMB was leading it last night (until it spread around to everyone...)

jlear
03-09-2008, 06:56 PM
I have been upstairs for 3 years now and you suck after the players names has only ever been noticeable for the UNC game. I feel it is great and many in section 10 agree and join in for the UNC game!

When did the modification to the fight song to have Eat S**t happen? I know it has been that way for years now.

I find it odd that witty and cleaver previously included throwing condoms on the floor and now we need to nitpick everything that happens or doesn’t happen.

The undergrad students can do whatever they find appropriate no matter who likes it or doesn’t like it. The students did a great job last night and got to see their team lose to UNC at home for the third time in a row. We have the best student section in college basketball and this board complaints are out of line in my opinion. The team is made up of their classmates, it is their school, no matter how much money those of us upstairs (alums or not) donate so we have the privilege of attending their game, it is their game!

I realize this is an over-reaction to this thread but the complaints this year continue to mount. We support the team weather they win or not but we slap our student section no matter what.

BCGroup
03-09-2008, 07:04 PM
I stumbled across this article today--had not seen it linked earlier. It adds an entirely different perspective, albeit one we are certainly familiar with as it relates to the taunts directed at our players:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/grant_wahl/02/26/abusive.fans0303/index.html

devillighter
03-09-2008, 07:16 PM
I have been upstairs for 3 years now and you suck after the players names has only ever been noticeable for the UNC game. I feel it is great and many in section 10 agree and join in for the UNC game!

When did the modification to the fight song to have Eat S**t happen? I know it has been that way for years now.

I find it odd that witty and cleaver previously included throwing condoms on the floor and now we need to nitpick everything that happens or doesn’t happen.

The undergrad students can do whatever they find appropriate no matter who likes it or doesn’t like it. The students did a great job last night and got to see their team lose to UNC at home for the third time in a row. We have the best student section in college basketball and this board complaints are out of line in my opinion. The team is made up of their classmates, it is their school, no matter how much money those of us upstairs (alums or not) donate so we have the privilege of attending their game, it is their game!

I realize this is an over-reaction to this thread but the complaints this year continue to mount. We support the team weather they win or not but we slap our student section no matter what.

I definitely agree with the spirit of your post. I don't really think 'you suck' is in bad taste. In my mind however, I associate it with the cheer MD does, which just pollutes the phrase for me, in much the same way that I dislike the 'O' during the national anthem (which originally was done at orioles games).

Being from MD and having to deal with all those terp fans has a big impact on why I don't like those two things.

Regardless, the crowd was phenomenal last night as it was all year this season. Looking forward to traveling to the ACC tournament with some tentmates and hopefully seeing a rematch of last night!

I have a strong feeling that we're going far in both tournaments this year.

III
03-09-2008, 07:17 PM
I kind of like the idea of beating the "you suck" people at their own game by yelling "good luck". Something to jot down for my senior year. The GTHCGTH thing bothered me quite a bit. A number of us in the front row tried to start it right at 68-66 (as suggested above), but nobody joined in, and I got a few nasty looks. In my opinion, it was perfectly reasonable for us to disagree with Coach in that situation, given that he was essentially forced into saying what he did. (The tone of the question and it's wording really boxed K into a corner)

Also, I think the UNC game is the most difficult game to get something creative started at. There are many more people there, which means a lot of people who don't go to as many games as the "regulars", and it is always so loud that things (other than the usual cheers) are hard to spread before they're enveloped by more accessible (standard) things. This problem is compounded by there being a number of "big" voices all present at once. This is, of course, wonderful for getting Cameron loud in a hurry, but does make it more difficult to deviate from quickly recognizable material.

III
03-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Agreeing with the above. It was absolutely ridiculously loud in there last night, as it should be. It really is an experience like no other.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Agreeing with the above. It was absolutely ridiculously loud in there last night, as it should be. It really is an experience like no other.

The crowd, especially the Crazies, were terrific last night except as I noted above. I wish I'd heard the GTHCGTH cheer you tried to start - I certainly would have joined in.

Lavabe
03-09-2008, 07:52 PM
The crowd, especially the Crazies, were terrific last night except as I noted above. I wish I'd heard the GTHCGTH cheer you tried to start - I certainly would have joined in.

Here's one for tradition, and I honestly feel that the GTHCGTH cheer is part of a LONG tradition. On the other hand ... to think that "9F" was brought to the attention of K ... glad to see Throaty's HPR has made it to the upper echelon of the coaching circles!

At 5 minutes to go, all I could beg for was one GTHCGTH ... it just seemed so empty without it.

The profanity-based cheers and the faux-Speedo gestures were the worst of it last night. Otherwise, the Crazies came across fairly well on TV.

Traditional cheers,
Lavabe

P.S. Ooh yeah ... one of my favorites, Vince Taylor!!

DukeDevilDeb
03-09-2008, 07:57 PM
I can tell you how I feel about it - I don't like it one bit. Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell! predated K's time at Duke and it will outlive K's time at Duke, which I hope is many many more years. He needs to learn to live with it.

I understand why it wasn't used last night, but I don't particularly agree with that decision, or directive as the case was. When we took the lead 68 - 66, we should have shook the building with it.

And I still haven't gotten my voice back!

Ozzie, I'm going to agree with you on two points. I do not like the E** Sh** AT ALL and think the Crazies should lose that immediately. It isn't funny, it isn't clever... in fact, it's rather immature.

However, I was dismayed that the GTHC cheer was not uttered once last night. I walked into Cameron and said it to one of the security guards (who is a long-time friend), and that was the only time I heard it.

You know, something else struck me as I watched the Carolina people at the game (not players) throughout the moment of silence and everything else. WE seemed a lot more upset by the murder than they were. We had two light blue fools right behind us, and one muttered under his breath, "All right, already. A moment of silence doesn't mean a week!" Somehow, in our anxiety to not appear politically incorrect, we went overboard... and Hansbrough and company are still laughing about it.

DukeDevilDeb
03-09-2008, 07:58 PM

They say, "Hello, Tyler!" And when Carolina is there, they add, "Consume feces!"

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-09-2008, 08:08 PM
And I still haven't gotten my voice back!

Ozzie, I'm going to agree with you on two points. I do not like the E** Sh** AT ALL and think the Crazies should lose that immediately. It isn't funny, it isn't clever... in fact, it's rather immature.

However, I was dismayed that the GTHC cheer was not uttered once last night. I walked into Cameron and said it to one of the security guards (who is a long-time friend), and that was the only time I heard it.

You know, something else struck me as I watched the Carolina people at the game (not players) throughout the moment of silence and everything else. WE seemed a lot more upset by the murder than they were. We had two light blue fools right behind us, and one muttered under his breath, "All right, already. A moment of silence doesn't mean a week!" Somehow, in our anxiety to not appear politically incorrect, we went overboard... and Hansbrough and company are still laughing about it.

Great programs like Duke and Carolina attract some fans whose behavior does not match the quality and class of their teams. Those you observed behaving poorly are not likely to to have been on campus for any classes, only ball games or concerts.

heifer
03-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Agree with those dismayed by the lack of 9F. K was forced to answer the question the way he did despite the lack of any connection between the tragic murder and a sports cheer. When I heard about that on Saturday morning, I went home and put on my GTHC t-shirt. A few in my section also tried to start it up on several occasions during the game, but not enough people bought in.

While the atmosphere last night was great, something big was missing. I left my 9th (and perhaps final) Duke/UNC game in Cameron disappointed by more than just the outcome.

captmojo
03-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Back in the days before dirt, when the Ol' Mojo was in high school, our crowd would follow every player intro with a hearty

WHO'S HE?????????

After the last intro it was........

WHO THE HELL ARE THEY???????

It was quite loud and effective. Really got their attention, and wasn't too nasty.

Don't want to mess with tradition, but is a change in order?

wumhenry
03-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Yeah, "Who's He?!" might be ripe for revival. We were doing it in the 65/66 season. I don't know when it started or when it fell into disuse.

WTF is 9F?

Of the current standard repertoire, my least favorite is "airball! airball!" It's mean, it's petty, it has long since lost the charm of novelty, and it's lame, because almost inevitably at least one airball per game will be thrown by someone on our team. The lameness was painfully evident last night, when the nagging chant was used to diss a Carolina player even though one of our guys had put up an airball on the immediately-preceding possession, no more than thirty seconds earlier.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-09-2008, 11:27 PM
WTF is 9F?

Wum, you're fairly new here so I'll cut you just a bit of slack, but I did post this in this thread

That makes me feel much better. I'd hate to be at odds with K on something as fundamental to Duke Basketball as Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell/GTHcGTH/9F and I figured that ANYBODY who had read the thread would figure it out.

Go read Throaty's HPR - it is stickied to the top of the board in the "FAQ" thread. It is mandatory reading for all posters.

wumhenry
03-10-2008, 12:09 AM
I read Throatybeard's thing in the sticky, and it didn't help me with "9F".

So I ask again: WTF is 9F?

JBDuke
03-10-2008, 12:26 AM
I read Throatybeard's thing in the sticky, and it didn't help me with "9F".

So I ask again: WTF is 9F?

Apparently, you didn't read very carefully. If you had, you would have seen that "9F" is the abbreviation for "Go to Hell, Carolina", which Ozzie also indicated in his post earlier in this thread.

wumhenry
03-10-2008, 12:41 AM
Ozzie's post didn't indicate it to me.
I'm not trying to be argumentative (though the superciliousness is getting a bit thick); I'm just puzzled. Why was "9F" accepted as a conventional abbreviation for "Go to Hell, Carolina, Go to Hell"? I don't see the connection.

phaedrus
03-10-2008, 12:47 AM
No, the vast majority of students do NOT add "you suck" after the player's name for the introductions. There is occasionally a contingent of 20 or so (sometimes loud) students that do it, but overwhelmingly, the Cameron Crazies don't condone this Maryland cheer. However, nobody else is saying anything during this time period, so even if it's a small number of students, you can hear them in the stadium. But for the vast majority of games, I'd say it's not audible for most spectators. On the other hand, the "eat s***" part of the song is done by a sizeable portion of the student body - I'd say at least 50%, if not more.

No one was really doing the "you suck" thing a couple years ago, when I was a sophomore. One game, though, the group of guys around me thought it would be a good idea to start, and about 4 of us yelled "you suck" after the first three or four players were introduced. But for the next player introduction, the other guys decided to stop for whatever reason, leaving me alone to yell "you suck". I was in the last row of the bleachers, and after my solitary "you suck", a woman leaned over the balcony from the "old-guy seats" and yelled "Hey you! Stop that!" I turned around, and the angry woman was Nannerl Overholser Keohane.

And that was the last time I yelled "you suck" during player intros.

PomPomGirl
03-10-2008, 01:07 AM
The "Hi, ____, you suck" thing was going strong (at least for UNC) when I was there, and in DUMB (96-00). I would never have associated it with Maryland, honestly.

I will start subbing "Beat State" for "E** Sh**" now that I need to start singing the fight song to the little one. That way I don't have the awkward pause in the song.

throatybeard
03-10-2008, 01:24 AM
Hi, _____ you suck was de rigeur in the mid-90s. It attracted a lot of tedious arguments on the DBR email list (remember that list?) about whether it was clever/stupid/worth doing/not worth doing. Some people argued it should be reserved only for the Carolina game. For a while in the 2000s it was definitely on the wane.

Jumbo
03-10-2008, 02:51 AM
Those you observed behaving poorly are not likely to to have been on campus for any classes, only ball games or concerts.

And people wonder why we get accused of being "elitist." Sheesh.

JBDuke
03-10-2008, 03:05 AM
Ozzie's post didn't indicate it to me.
I'm not trying to be argumentative (though the superciliousness is getting a bit thick); I'm just puzzled. Why was "9F" accepted as a conventional abbreviation for "Go to Hell, Carolina, Go to Hell"? I don't see the connection.

As Ozzie referred you to in an earlier post, here is the link to Throatybeard's Handy Pocket Reference: http://www.duke.edu/~bct1/images/DBRHPR7.1asPDF.pdf

It's in those "sticky" posts at the top of the King board - the posts that folks are supposed to read before they post, so that they don't ask questions about things that have been covered multiple times.

You'll note that in item #9, sub-item F, it says "Go to hell Carolina. (Repeated ad nauseam)."

This is where the board picked up the "convention".

DU82
03-10-2008, 08:26 AM

I thought the original poster was referring to the Carolina "fans" that were annoyed by the length of the moment of silence, not by the "You Suck", which was clearly yelled by those currently attending classes at Duke (ie, from the student section.) And I'd bet he/she was probably right about them not being graduates (or current students) in Chapel Hill.

For what it's worth, the "Eat s..." chant during Fight, Fight Blue Devils has been around at least as long as the 1991 Final Four, which is the first time I heard it.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Perhaps I should clarify what I was trying to say. My reference is to the band wagon fans who have no other connection with either university.

PomPomGirl
03-12-2008, 12:53 AM
Hi, _____ you suck was de rigeur in the mid-90s. It attracted a lot of tedious arguments on the DBR email list (remember that list?) about whether it was clever/stupid/worth doing/not worth doing. Some people argued it should be reserved only for the Carolina game. For a while in the 2000s it was definitely on the wane.

Heehee, I remember that list! It got stuck in my spam filter for a while - I don't know how. I didn't realize that "welcome" had waned in the 2000s, and I actually had fond memories come back when I heard it the other night. :D

throatybeard
03-12-2008, 01:33 AM
Heehee, I remember that list! It got stuck in my spam filter for a while - I don't know how. I didn't realize that "welcome" had waned in the 2000s, and I actually had fond memories come back when I heard it the other night. :D

Weks just posted in the other thread that its demise was by design.

From my narcissistic perspective, the lasting contribution of that list was that it was where someone gave me my synecdochal moniker.

Richard Berg
03-12-2008, 01:42 AM
Like others have said, there was an effort to curtail "you suck" in the early 2000s. I remember it being called out on a few cheer sheets. Personally, I don't mind either way -- it's not particularly creative, but it's not offensive either.

"Eat sh**" has been around for a long time. Paul Bryan says he tried in vain to change it...and he retired in 1989. (His alternative suggestion was "all the way!" I can see why it didn't catch on ;))

glutton
03-12-2008, 02:11 AM
This was my 7th year of watching games in Cameron, and the "you suck" part of the intros has rarely been used while I've been here. I can only recall hearing it at UNC games, and never quite as vehemently as this last game.

"Eat s**t", on the other hand, has been a part of the fight song as long as I can remember. And you can tell me it's crude or classless or immature until you're blue in the face... I still like it :)