PDA

View Full Version : 3 point shooting question

Saratoga2
03-09-2008, 12:51 PM
I noticed last night that at least 7 of the made 3 pointers were from the area of the arc and not from deep in the corner. I remember 4 by Paulus, 1 by Scheyer, an early one by Henderson and one by Singler. I may not have remembered others made from the arc. Since we were 10 for 29 from 3, at least 7 of 10 were made from the arc.

I am wondering if anyone kept track of shooting percentage from the arc vs from deep in the corner from game to game, but it seems to me that we have been worse from the corner than from the arc. If that is true, it would be interesting to know whether the percentage from deep in the corner is worth the effort or not.

bjornolf
03-09-2008, 02:18 PM
well, I've noticed that when playing pickup ball, I am generally a MUCH higher percentage shooter from right at the top of the key or about 15 ft. to the right or left of the top of the key than I am from the corner. I've heard commentators say before that it has something to do with the backboard giving you some kind of depth perception aid, whereas from the corner, there's just open space to some unspecified point. The brain has an easier time calculating distances with a set reference point behind the rim. I think that's why shooters generally shoot better at home from the corner but aren't as affected on the road. Their brains know their own court and the reference points. Also, aren't the distances just a TAD shorter in the corner? This would throw you off too if you're used to the exact distance. Some guys I've played pickup with specialize in corner shots and are actually better from the corner, but, of course, if you're playing pickup on the same court EVERY week, you'll be used to the distant reference points, just like a homecourt in college.

Cameron
03-09-2008, 02:43 PM
If that is true, it would be interesting to know whether the percentage from deep in the corner is worth the effort or not.

Worth the effort? I honestly don't know what this means, but, yes, I would say we should be keep shooting from the corner pockets when our snipers get open. Singler, Scheyer, and King are excellent corner ball shooters when they get free, and should continue having the green light.

Not that K would ever "ban" the corner shot because it's "too much effort" anyway. In fact, I find the corner shot to be a nice shot. When I played, it was one of my favorites, and three-point shooting was my specialty (this is not meant to sound arrogant or something, as I was merely a decent high school player). Somebody brought up this same topic on Devil's Den awhile back and many posters came to this same conclusion. If you can shoot the ball, it shouldn't matter what area of the arc you are standing behind.

diesel
03-09-2008, 02:55 PM
If my memory serves me right, Ellington and Green seemed to do just fine shooting 3s from the corners last night.

Truth
03-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Worth the effort? I honestly don't know what this means, but, yes, I would say we should be keep shooting from the corner pockets when our snipers get open. Singler, Scheyer, and King are excellent corner ball shooters when they get free, and should continue having the green light.

Not that K would ever "ban" the corner shot because it's "too much effort" anyway. In fact, I find the corner shot to be a nice shot. When I played, it was one of my favorites, and three-point shooting was my specialty (this is not meant to sound arrogant or something, as I was merely a decent high school player). Somebody brought up this same topic on Devil's Den awhile back and many posters came to this same conclusion. If you can shoot the ball, it shouldn't matter what area of the arc you are standing behind.

Much agreed. Does this conjure up memories for anyone else of Nate draining critical corner 3-balls??