PDA

View Full Version : ACC Tournament Matchups

Olympic Fan
03-09-2008, 09:57 AM
The DBR projection in ACC Roundup that Duke will play the FSU-Wake winner in the first round is wrong.

Duke will play the Georgia Tech-Virginia winner at Friday night at 7:10 p.m.

Georgia Tech wins the tiebreaker with FSU and Wake to get the seven seed. If Virginia beats Maryland today, they win 10th place outright. If they lose to Maryland, they still get the 10th seed by winning the tiebreaker vs. NC State (12th seed) and Boston College (11th seed).

Georgia Tech and Virginia will play Thursday at 7 p.m. -- the only first-round game on ESPN2 (all the others are Raycom/Gameplan).

The other first round matchup we know is that No. 8 Wake Forest plays No. 9 FSU Thursday at Noon. The winner gets No. 1 UNC Friday at 2 p.m.

While we know BC is No. 11 and NC State is No. 12, we don't know their opponents. Maryland gets No. 5 (and a matchup with NC State) if they beat Virginia today. Otherwise, they tie Miami and the 'Canes win the tiebreaker and the No. 5 seed.

Virginia Tech is at Clemson today with the winner getting the No. 3 seed and the loser coming in at No. 4.

tbyers11
03-09-2008, 12:02 PM
I was also a bit perplexed after reading that DBR said we would play the Wake-FSU winner because I had figured out from their ACC tourney seeding scenarios page that we would play the GT-UVa winner (7/10 game) after yesterday's results. I thought maybe I had interpreted them incorrectly, but glad to see others read it the way I did.

Anyway, a bump further up the ladder to get the right info out there

rthomas
03-09-2008, 02:58 PM
We know that our first round game next week is Friday at 7PM and we will play the winner of Thursday's 7PM game (7 versus 10). Does anyone know how seedings are set with all the ties in the ACC?

There are a couple of games today - Clemson is currently at half up on Va Tech and Md plays Va tonight.

However 7, 8 and 9 ar tied with Wake, Florida St, and GaTec all with 7 wins.

If Va loses tonight, 10, 11 and 12 will also b tied with Virginia, NCSU and BC all with 4 wins. If VA wins tonight they are 10.

So there are alot of permutations for the 7 vs 10 game net Thursday.

JBDuke
03-09-2008, 03:00 PM
We know that our first round game next week is Friday at 7PM and we will play the winner of Thursday's 7PM game (7 versus 10). Does anyone know how seedings are set with all the ties in the ACC?

There are a couple of games today - Clemson is currently at half up on Va Tech and Md plays Va tonight.

However 7, 8 and 9 ar tied with Wake, Florida St, and GaTec all with 7 wins.

If Va loses tonight, 10, 11 and 12 will also b tied with Virginia, NCSU and BC all with 4 wins. If VA wins tonight they are 10.

So there are alot of permutations for the 7 vs 10 game net Thursday.

No, there aren't. Ga Tech wins the tie break over Wake and FSU, so they're the #7. And regardless of whether or not UVA wins tonight, they're the #10. If they win tonight, they're in 10th all alone. If they lose and end up tied, they win the tie breaks.

Next Thursday's first evening game will be Ga Tech/UVA, and Duke will face the winner in the first evening game on Friday.

Bob Green
03-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Clemson is the 3 seed and VT the 4. Virginia Tech really needed a win to solidify their NCAA resume. I see the NIT in their future.

Olympic Fan
03-09-2008, 04:31 PM
One small correction on my original post ... the UNC quarterfinal game Friday against the Wake-FSU winner is at noon, not 2 p.m.

Everything is now set except for the 5/6 seeds. Maryland gets the No. 5 seed if they beat Virginia tonight and the No. 6 seed if they lose. Miami gets the No. 5 seed if Maryland loses and the No. 6 seed if the Terps win. That makes the pairings:

Thursday
Noon: No. 8 Wake vs. No. 9 FSU
2 p.m. No. 5 (Maryland or Miami) vs. No. 12 N.C. State
7 p.m. No. 7 Georgia Tech vs. No. 10 Virginia
9 p.m. No. 6 (Maryland or Miami) vs. No. 11 Boston College

Friday
Noon: No. 1 UNC vs. Wake-FSU winner
2 p.m. No. 4 Virginia Tech vs. No. 5-N.C. State winner
7 p.m. No. 2 Duke vs. GTech-UVa winner
9 p.m. No. 3 Clemson vs. No. 6-Boston College

Saturday
1:30 p.m. -- the UNC bracket semifinals
3:30 p.m. -- the Duke bracket semifinals

Sunday
1 p.m. -- the title game

feldspar
03-09-2008, 06:03 PM
If Maryland Wins:

(1)UNC 14-2
(2)Duke 13-3
(3)Clemson 10-6
(4)Virginia Tech 9-7
(5)Maryland 9-7
(6)Miami 8-8
(7)Georgia Tech 7-9
(8)Wake Forest 7-9
(9)Florida State 7-9
(10)Virginia 4-12
(11)Boston College 4-12
(12)NC State 4-12

Virginia Wins:

(1)UNC 14-2
(2)Duke 13-3
(3)Clemson 10-6
(4)Virginia Tech 9-7
(5)Miami 8-8
(6)Maryland 8-8
(7)Georgia Tech 7-9
(8)Wake Forest 7-9
(9)Florida State 7-9
(10)Virginia 5-11
(11)Boston College 4-12
(12)NC State 4-12

So, we're getting the winner of Ga Tech/Virginia no matter what happens tonight. That's good news.

Should we win that game, we would get either the winner of Clemson vs. Maryland/BC (if Virginia wins tonight) or the winner of Clemson vs. Miami/BC if Maryland wins tonight.

So, to recap, the teams we have the possibility to face before the finals are:

Georgia Tech
Virginia
Clemson
Maryland
Miami
BC

Not a bad draw, IMO.

Classof06
03-09-2008, 06:08 PM
That's not a bad road but our list contains many of the better teams in the league after Duke and UNC (namely Clemson and Maryland). That's what you get as a 2 seed, I guess.

JStuart
03-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Sure was hoping Clemson would end up in UNC's bracket; they deserve another crack at Hans9F & co.

rthomas
03-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Sure was hoping Clemson would end up in UNC's bracket; they deserve another crack at Hans9F & co.

The Weaufxgods say that they may get another crack at UNC.

feldspar
03-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Virginia clobbered a Maryland team that looked like it kind of gave up in the second part of the second half, so it's official. Here's the schedule (from Olympic Fan's post):

Thursday
2 p.m. No. 5 Miami vs. No. 12 N.C. State
9 p.m. No. 6 Maryland vs. No. 11 Boston College

Friday

Saturday

Sunday
1 p.m. -- the title game

Most interesting matchups to me: GTech/UVa, especially with the way UVa pulled away late tonight. I'm hoping that these teams just clobber eachother and don't have anything left for Friday.

Maryland/BC will be interesting as well since the two split in the regular season and Maryland's going to be fighting to stay on the bubble (they were the last team in the tournament according to Lunardi before tonight's loss). Gary always gets his team up for the ACC Tourney, so we'll see what happens with them.

WFU should handle FSU fairly easily, as should Miami vs. NCSU.

Man, do I love this time of year!

ETA: Think Dave Leitao is going to be practicing some offense vs. the zone this week? Uh.....yeah.

rthomas
03-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Virginia clobbered a Maryland team that looked like it kind of gave up in the second part of the second half, so it's official. Here's the schedule (from Olympic Fan's post):

Thursday
2 p.m. No. 5 Miami vs. No. 12 N.C. State
9 p.m. No. 6 Maryland vs. No. 11 Boston College

Friday

Saturday

Sunday
1 p.m. -- the title game

Most interesting matchups to me: GTech/UVa, especially with the way UVa pulled away late tonight. I'm hoping that these teams just clobber eachother and don't have anything left for Friday.

Maryland/BC will be interesting as well since the two split in the regular season and Maryland's going to be fighting to stay on the bubble (they were the last team in the tournament according to Lunardi before tonight's loss). Gary always gets his team up for the ACC Tourney, so we'll see what happens with them.

WFU should handle FSU fairly easily, as should Miami vs. NCSU.

Man, do I love this time of year!

ETA: Think Dave Leitao is going to be practicing some offense vs. the zone this week? Uh.....yeah.

Friday is a long time to wait! Let's go Duke!

riverside6
03-10-2008, 09:08 AM
For those interested, our ACC Tournament Bracket Contest is up and running...

If you have a login to SCACCHoops.com...

1. Go to the login page (http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/tt_login.asp) and login, click on the big brackets, and your team name and email address will be automatically populated.
2. Make the picks for all 11 games, and there is no need to hit a save button just make your picks and we save your choices as you go.
3. Enter the tie-breaker for the championship game which is the Total Points combined that will be scored.
4. Once you see Entry Complete, you're all set!

If you do NOT have a login to SCACCHoops.com...

1. Go to our home page (http://www.scacchoops.com), and click on the big brackets.
2. Enter a team name and an email address and hit the Submit Button which will reveal the brackets.
3. Make the picks for all 11 games, and there is no need to hit a save button just make your picks and we save your choices as you go.
4. Enter the tie-breaker for the championship game which is the Total Points combined that will be scored.
5. Once you see Entry Complete, you're all set!

Rules

1. This contest is just for fun. The only prize is bragging rights and your team name posted on our front page.
2. You will receive points based on correct selections. A correct selection in a Thursday game gives you 1 point, Friday 2 points, Saturday 3 points, and Sunday 4 points.
3. The tie-breaker is the total points scored in the ACC Championship game. Although in the last 3 years, no tie-breaker has been needed.

riverside6
03-10-2008, 09:26 AM
If you're curious who others are picking, here's an analysis of the picks made thus far...

http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/tt_ACC_Tourney_Analysis.asp (http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/tt_ACC_Tourney_Analysis.asp)

Surprisingly, at this point 30% of people have NC State playing on Saturday.

riverside6
03-10-2008, 10:13 AM
There was an issue for people that do not have Logins on our site, but it has been fixed. So, if you tried to enter picks and your picks were not being retained, try again!

feldspar
03-10-2008, 08:26 PM
BUMP

C'mon folks. Currently, UNC is beating Duke 63% to 37%. We need to do something about this ASAP!!!!!!

hc5duke
03-16-2008, 03:38 AM

The Weaufxgods say that they may get another crack at UNC.

Just wanted to bump this post so we can all blame JStuart :) I already don't feel too bad about not wearing my lucky sweatshirt :rolleyes: