PDA

View Full Version : I'm sad

Jumbo
03-09-2008, 03:51 AM
And it has nothing to do with the loss to UNC. As much as I love this time of year, I hate it. In two weeks, only 16 teams will be playing college basketball (screw the NIT). Duke has no more games in Cameron. Even though the most exciting part of the year is upon us, so is the reality that one way or another, the season is nearly over, and we've got seven-plus long months ahead of us. The results matter. But in the end, I just really love watching the games.

Lotus000
03-09-2008, 03:56 AM
And it has nothing to do with the loss to UNC. As much as I love this time of year, I hate it. In two weeks, only 16 teams will be playing college basketball (screw the NIT). Duke has no more games in Cameron. Even though the most exciting part of the year is upon us, so is the reality that one way or another, the season is nearly over, and we've got seven-plus long months ahead of us. The results matter. But in the end, I just really love watching the games.

Hey, there's always the NBA! (I kid, I kid.....)

Don't remind us too much about it. At least we'll have something interesting to look forward to this year in football season, I'm anxious to see if Cut can right the ship. Well, maybe not right the ship, but at least have a bigger bucket to bail out the water.

I think that I've watched more college basketball this year than any other year, though, and I have to say that we have it GREAT as Duke and ACC fans. I think that we get to watch THE BEST basketball in the country. Look at the ACC-Big11 challenge; how much do you think that the Big-10 REALLY wants out of that? I don't care what pundits and talking heads say about my ACC, we're still the best conference. Watching Big East and PAC-10 games makes me ill.

...but come April, I'll even miss them, too.

SMO
03-09-2008, 08:25 AM

By the time this season ends for Duke it will be less than 8 months until November. It will go by quickly! I'll miss the games but it will be fun to talk about next year's edition - should be something special!

godukecom
03-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Im sad because this is the beginning of the end for DBR. In just about a month the site will slow to a crawl...

Lavabe
03-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Im sad because this is the beginning of the end for DBR. In just about a month the site will slow to a crawl...

A crawl ??? I think not. You forget about the EarlJam/Billybreen Board (Off-topic Board). Admittedly, the Elizabeth King Forum slows down, but there's always recruiting news, injury/surgery reports, football news, and a myriad of other topics. Can you imagine how many new Zoub threads will start up over the next few months?! Toss in a Markie/NBA draft watch, and it'll be busy.

What I WILL miss includes: SNRUBCHAT, MOTM polls, and the new folks who join in, especially the influx of quality input from other teams' fans whose opinions have helped the Forum over the last few months.

And hey ... I suspect we'll have at least four new Marty Pocius threads once the season ends!

Cheers,
Lavabe

JasonEvans
03-09-2008, 09:27 AM
A crawl ??? I think not. You forget about the EarlJam/Billybreen Board (Off-topic Board). Admittedly, the Elizabeth King Forum slows down, but there's always recruiting news, injury/surgery reports, football news, and a myriad of other topics. Can you imagine how many new Zoub threads will start up over the next few months?! Toss in a Markie/NBA draft watch, and it'll be busy.

What I WILL miss includes: SNRUBCHAT, MOTM polls, and the new folks who join in, especially the influx of quality input from other teams' fans whose opinions have helped the Forum over the last few months.

And hey ... I suspect we'll have at least four new Marty Pocius threads once the season ends!

Cheers,
Lavabe

I am sure I will have another lengthy poll/contest over the summer... sorta like the Favaorite Dukie one we did last summer. I am not sure what it will be yet, but we'll think of something entertaining.

-Jason "still, it just won't be the same without the actual games" Evans

dukegirlinsc
03-09-2008, 09:33 AM
The end of the regular season is always tough, it's never fun. (Especially after going out with a loss to the Tarholes. :mad: ) I have so much love for both tournaments, and I'm excited to get things started.

Ughhhh. :(

grossbus
03-09-2008, 09:52 AM
geez, talk about a glass half empty.

Cameron
03-09-2008, 10:42 AM

You can also expect to see a TON of Taylor King (formerly King Taylor) threads of greatness. Taylor is going to become the next mythical Durham legend, after all:) From his 85 percent full-court range in summer pickup to his spell-binding one-handed cartwheel dunks, Taylor has all the tools.

And this thread is not based on sarcasm, as I'll be the first in line in the promotion of bringing King Taylor back to prominence:D

I agree with Jumbo, though, the off-season/summer is a very depressing time for me. Man do I love watching Duke Basketball. Summer game tapes, rotation discussion, banter, etc, is all fine and well, but it just doesn't fill the void. Sometimes I wish I loved baseball, so I could enjoy the sporting world through Duke's off season rest. Unfortunately, it bores me.

pamtar
03-09-2008, 12:31 PM
I too am sad. For me, the regular season is better than the NCAA (three years excluded). I am probably more upset about losing last night than I will be if we lose in the tourney. I don't think we put enough emphasis on the regular season title. While it is much harder to win a NC, it only shows which team was hot for five games.

I said it in the Miami thread (as did others) that that game would be the most important game of the year. I hate it when I'm right.

BCGroup
03-09-2008, 12:47 PM
I think part of it is the letdown after yesterday. I'm just in one of those funks. I'm sure it will get better as we turn our attention to the tournament, but it's just an icky day today. Anybody else feeling that way? I have no desire to watch any other games today either.

ugadevil
03-09-2008, 02:16 PM
What makes me sad is Senior Day. It's tough because it's the last home game for the seniors that you've come to love and can't believe that their careers are coming to a close. Add to that, the fact that it usually seems like the team is so juiced up and emotional that it's a roller-coaster game where you spend half of it just hoping that they'll calm down and play their regular game. Jay Bilas said it last night and he was right, the senior day game seems to always have more pressure on the home team in Duke/UNC.

SilkyJ
03-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I am sure I will have another lengthy poll/contest over the summer... sorta like the Favaorite Dukie one we did last summer. I am not sure what it will be yet, but we'll think of something entertaining.

-Jason "still, it just won't be the same without the actual games" Evans

Don't forget the mock NBA draft (we are gonna do that, right??)

Cameron
03-09-2008, 02:32 PM
I too am sad. For me, the regular season is better than the NCAA (three years excluded). I am probably more upset about losing last night than I will be if we lose in the tourney.

This isn't the case with me. As much as I love the regular season and hate losing to Carolina, I am taken to an entirely different planet when Duke exits the NCAA Tournament. I cried uncontrollably as I left a Chili's Bar and Grill after a March loss a few years back, and that was nothing compared to how I reacted when JJ played his final game.

I honestly can't take it when we lose in the Tournament, especially when we lose much sooner than we should. It's heartbreaking. All I can keep thinking about is the Blue Devil game tapes I should be recording and the time slots I should be planning my schedule around. It's just awful. The rest of the Tournament means nothing. I watch, but I have lost 90 percent of my March excitement.

Please, a regional final would make my year! Let's get this done, boys:)

devildeac
03-09-2008, 02:56 PM

What is this board moving toward? A kinder, gentler blowhard? A thread with this title? A thread analyzing Duke's defense(which was absolutely fabulous to read and digest). I am heading to the bathroom now for a box of kleenex as I am almost weepy at this point(sniff, sniff). In all seriousness Jumbo, your time and effort with the +/- and your basketball analysis and your amazing patience with your (mostly) tempered responses here have been highly rewarding and educational over the last couple months. I offer a sincere and hearty thank you.

PS: Are we due for a Phase V yet?

weezie
03-09-2008, 03:03 PM
...we have it GREAT as Duke and ACC fans. I think that we get to watch THE BEST basketball in the country....we're still the best conference....

I was thinking the same thing as we marched in Cameron last night, into that wonderfully old, hot, damp, cramped, packed arena. We have it the best at Duke, we are a mighty and lucky few. Who else gets to experience the excitement we've come to expect as our right?!

And, we managed to split a doubleheader in baseball with #2 'holes yesterday! That sounds pretty good to me, too.

loran16
03-09-2008, 03:46 PM

Be happy you still aren't here then.....after the season's over, not only am i bummed out, but i've got FINALS.

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

BD80
03-09-2008, 03:53 PM
We will get to watch Coach K and his staff go for a championship in the summer - at the Olympics!

We should have 1 or 2 Dukies to cheer for. We'll have a couple of weeks of discussing/arguing the roster before it is selected. Then we'll have the games and Coach K on worldwide TV! We might even get a recruiting boost!

Lotus000
03-09-2008, 04:02 PM
We will get to watch Coach K and his staff go for a championship in the summer - at the Olympics!

We should have 1 or 2 Dukies to cheer for. We'll have a couple of weeks of discussing/arguing the roster before it is selected. Then we'll have the games and Coach K on worldwide TV! We might even get a recruiting boost!

OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN!!! I completely whiffed on this! The 2007-2008 stretch might make it the most active time in DBR history.

-huge year for a great fresman class and The Captain
-Cutcliffe comes and (hopefully) saves Duke football
-Coach K coaches USA to the gold.

Que perfecto!

Exiled_Devil
03-09-2008, 04:06 PM

I'm actually really excited about this. I haven't really cared about the national basketball squad before, but now I am very interested both for K and the talent he has managed to get bought into his model.

Exiled

gw67
03-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Jumbo - I understand where you are coming from but this is my favorite time of the year. The ACCT, Selection Sunday, the NCAAT - particularly the first weekend, spring training and the sounds of baseball as the high schools begin play, the Masters and the possibility that the greatest golfer of all time will have a historic year, being able to tee it up and see if I can still play from the regular tees, and taking long walks on the Delaware beaches with my wife and our dog, those are the things I look forward to in late March and April not to mention the warmer weather and longer days. Yep, I'll will miss college basketball but it will be fun looking ahead and talking about next year's teams.

gw67

Jumbo
03-09-2008, 05:05 PM
What is this board moving toward? A kinder, gentler blowhard? A thread with this title? A thread analyzing Duke's defense(which was absolutely fabulous to read and digest). I am heading to the bathroom now for a box of kleenex as I am almost weepy at this point(sniff, sniff). In all seriousness Jumbo, your time and effort with the +/- and your basketball analysis and your amazing patience with your (mostly) tempered responses here have been highly rewarding and educational over the last couple months. I offer a sincere and hearty thank you.

PS: Are we due for a Phase V yet?

Thanks! And yes, we are due for Phase V! I'll get on it tomorrow (with a recap of Phase IV). I think Phase V should purely be the ACC Tourney, with the NCAA Tourney as Phase VI, correct?

RockyMtDevil
03-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Here's the good news, somehow the gods knew that in order to make it through winter, we needed college basketball. Just as the world wakes up again with warmth, green grass and sunshine, the perfect sport comes to an end. And, as life on the planet goes into the doldrums, we hear the sneakers on the hardwood once more...It's the true cycle of life!

I love March, but the older I get, the more I truly enjoy the journey just as well. this team has been so fun to watch, great to grow with and has laid a foundation for a championship run next year.

But boy, that last loss in the ncaa tourney is just so damn painful, because "It's Over" is actually finally correct.

I'll always remember this season as my first ever game in Cameron, with this team, it will go down as one of my all-time favorites.

Still not too bummed about last night, we can still make the final four.

Deladev
03-09-2008, 06:23 PM
I agree with you and I am wondering (again) why Senior Night JUST HAS TO BE THE SAME NIGHT as the Carolina game! Would the Original French Blue Devils turn over in their graves if it did not?

Or maybe the schedule should be reconsidered in light of so few Seniors across the country staying for that fourth year. I feel that it takes Upper Classmen to handle this type of hype and drama, while maintaining their leadership and poise, and oh yeah, hitting their shots.

I felt sorry for DeMarcus last night. I honestly did. IMO it was TOO much to be the only Senior and the only Team Captain and the designated leader on the floor, while scoring and playing great D. Usually there are at least two of each (Seniors and/or Team Captains) even nowadays. Was it last season that we had 3 co-captains?

DeMarcus made a valiant effort! I thank him.

Somebody clue me in. I fear I am having a mini RANT!

Deladev for Duke

Lavabe
03-09-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm actually really excited about this. I haven't really cared about the national basketball squad before, but now I am very interested both for K and the talent he has managed to get bought into his model.

Exiled

And... dare I say it ...

Who is on the hottest team in the NBA?

None other than, Mr. President, Shane Battier!
Cheers,
Lavabe

DukeDevilDeb
03-09-2008, 08:03 PM
I too am sad. For me, the regular season is better than the NCAA (three years excluded). I am probably more upset about losing last night than I will be if we lose in the tourney. I don't think we put enough emphasis on the regular season title. While it is much harder to win a NC, it only shows which team was hot for five games.

I said it in the Miami thread (as did others) that that game would be the most important game of the year. I hate it when I'm right.

... with K's incredible ACC Regular Season and Tournament Title Record?!?!!?!

Many think we put too much emphasis on both and, as a result, don't have as much gas for the NCAA.

RelativeWays
03-09-2008, 08:06 PM
I handled the UNC loss pretty well (gotta remember we didn't beat them at all last year) but this thread made me depressed. Thanks a lot Jumbo

Truth
03-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Be happy you still aren't here then.....after the season's over, not only am i bummed out, but i've got FINALS.

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Oh no, not finals! Sounds like you'll be in the "real world" soon enough -- I'd bet that you'll quickly find yourself longing to be back on campus, finals included.

devildeac
03-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks! And yes, we are due for Phase V! I'll get on it tomorrow (with a recap of Phase IV). I think Phase V should purely be the ACC Tourney, with the NCAA Tourney as Phase VI, correct?

Sounds like the proper progression to me. Looking forward to it. Thanks again.

JasonEvans
03-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Don't forget the mock NBA draft (we are gonna do that, right??)

Of course! Did you like the year where we all voted on the draft picks or the more traditional format where individuals GM a team and make picks as if they were GM of that team?

-Jason "other opinions/options welcome" Evans

4decadedukie
03-10-2008, 11:19 AM

You're so right; I always have a feeling of loss after the National Championships are decided (sometimes earlier, if Duke has had a particularly tough loss and MY seasons are truly concluded).

SilkyJ
03-10-2008, 02:08 PM

Great point! That will certainly keep things busy around here during the off-season

-Cutcliffe comes and (hopefully) saves Duke football

Forgot about that too! It sounds like the manning boys will be around this spring/summer as well helping with recruiting, so hopefully that'll keep us occupied too...

I would think that makes sense.

Of course! Did you like the year where we all voted on the draft picks or the more traditional format where individuals GM a team and make picks as if they were GM of that team?

-Jason "other opinions/options welcome" Evans

DEFINITELY like how we did it last year, which is the more traditional method, where an individual is a GM for each team.

I also think that, like last year, having a couple of people in addition to yourself "moderate" and keep things moving will be useful. I will certainly volunteer to do that (as long as I get to be a GM again :) )