PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. UNC

Jumbo
03-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Who was the Man of the Match in the second UNC game on 3/8?

Duvall
03-08-2008, 11:14 PM
After Scheyer blocked Hansbrough in the second half, I wasn't sure if Jumbo would still be with us.

Ben63
03-08-2008, 11:18 PM
I voted for Scheyer but what we really needed was someone in the last 5 minutes.

pamtar
03-08-2008, 11:23 PM
I know the stats aren't there but I voted for Z.

He came through when we needed it. Good call Jumbo.

delfrio
03-08-2008, 11:38 PM
I voted for Scheyer (prob because of that ridiculous move and self-follow in the 2nd), but now I wish I could change my vote. Paulus is really the person who kept us in this game, who hit the shots when we needed them.

dukepsy1963
03-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Paulus did indeed fight long and hard to keep us in the game. I voted for him for that.

jipops
03-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Is it me, or is Scheyer starting to look like our best defender?

Jumbo
03-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Is it me, or is Scheyer starting to look like our best defender?

I've only been saying it for two years ...
Markie's still better on the ball. Scheyer is our best off-the-ball defender, and is excellent on the ball is well.

And Paulus is still closing in on him in the voting, despite getting his ankles broken by Quentin Thomas. (Sigh)

OZZIE4DUKE
03-09-2008, 12:54 AM
I voted for Paulus. Without him, we're down 20 in the first half.

OldSchool
03-09-2008, 01:01 AM
And Paulus is still closing in on him in the voting, despite getting his ankles broken by Quentin Thomas. (Sigh)

Another notable ankle-break was when Tywon faked Brian out of his jock, and then drained an open jump shot over a prone Z. I imagine Z will be in for some ribbing when they review the game film.

I voted for Jon for Man of the Match. Greg kept us in the game out of pure willpower, but Jon was so strong in all phases of the game.

Jumbo
03-09-2008, 01:05 AM
I voted for Paulus. Without him, we're down 20 in the first half.

He also shot 5-for-14. Without Scheyer, where are we in the second half?

Jumbo
03-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Another notable ankle-break was when Tywon faked Brian out of his jock, and then drained an open jump shot over a prone Z. I imagine Z will be in for some ribbing when they review the game film.

Man, I felt so bad for Zoubs on that one. Between that play and Greg getting posterized by Green tonight, we were on the receiving end of someone else's highlight reel.

DangerDevil
03-09-2008, 01:15 AM
Man, I felt so bad for Zoubs on that one. Between that play and Greg getting posterized by Green tonight, we were on the receiving end of someone else's highlight reel.

Why wasn't Green jumping over/through Greg a charge?

OldSchool
03-09-2008, 01:22 AM

In honor of so many NBA players in the stands and future NBA players on the court, the officials decided to enforce the NBA "no-charging" half-circle.

Lotus000
03-09-2008, 03:37 AM
I voted for Paulus, discounting the posterization.

It seemed like G and Markie wanted to drive into three people tonight and get trapped down low without kicking it out, even though they had some good plays.

Singler's defense against HansTravel was, in my opinion, pretty damned good. He stayed straight and vertical, and did his best to muscle up against a bigger, more experienced player.

Scheyer had some nasty-good plays as well, but Paulus seriously kept us in the game in the first half when we would have been blown out.

devildeac
03-09-2008, 08:44 AM
JS=super glue. Brought us back, kept us close. Whoever had the primary responsibility for green gets a large negative for the game. GH would have had my vote if he dunks and/or makes that 6 footer to tie the game or regain the lead with about 3 minutes to go.

DukieBoy
03-09-2008, 09:31 AM
paulus would have to be the man of the match in the first half because if not for him, we woulda been down by 20+....in the second half i would have to say scheyer....that pull up 3 he had to bring it to 3 was awesome....then the blocked lay up he put in for the lead was incredible

dyedwab
03-09-2008, 11:29 AM
but I went with Scheyer....I think Paulus also could make a great case

Dukiedevil
03-09-2008, 12:01 PM

He was way too far under the basket. I was asking myself: "Why didn't Greg foul the bejesus out of him and make him earn it at the line?". He wasn't in any foul trouble...

Voted for Scheyer, though I wasn't impressed with his first half decision making. I want to vote for Zoubs, but think Scheyer deserves it more than Paulus...

SilkyJ
03-09-2008, 02:39 PM
thought gerald played big on the boards so I gave him some love. nice to see him hitting a couple 3s recently as well...though he didn't shoot well overall...

scheyer played well too, obviously. thought he did make a couple bad decisions, but he wasn't the only one...

SilkyJ
03-09-2008, 02:47 PM

he kinda leaned his upper body and got the ball to the rim just as he was hitting greg so the contact it could have been a scenario where you count the hoop anyways, and while there was contact there wasn't a ton of contact (and the refs were pretty tight lipped all-game, which was good, imo) so maybe combined all those things made it a no call in the guy's mind...one idea at least...

Bob Green
03-09-2008, 03:50 PM
I voted for Jon Scheyer as he was everywhere as usual. His stat line reads: 14 points, 4 rebs, 4 assists, 1 turnover in 32 minutes.

Brian Zoubek played really well yesterday: 6 points, 3 rebounds, and a blocked shot in 9 minutes.

socaldukie
03-09-2008, 04:22 PM
over Paulus and Hendo.

DukeDevilDeb
03-09-2008, 09:22 PM
over Paulus and Hendo.

I also voted for Scheyer. But I wish I could have voted for DeMarcus tonight. He just had a poor offensive game... I'm sure he's hurting over that.

Saratoga2
03-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Scheyer is playing excellent defense and is doing it consistently throughout the game. He is solid with the ball and he is scoring. Paulus did have another outstanding game, but to me Scheyer edged him out for player of the game.

Uncle Drew
03-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Okay as stated in another thread I slept through the game. (Well all but the first five minutes, migraine, sue me.) So I'm not voting because I shouldn't get an opinion if I didn't watch the bloody game and suffer just like everyone else. But just a question, why should their be a MOTM for Duke in a loss? Why not be fair and put Green and Hansbrough up there to vote on? I mean it's not like the vote counts for anyting for opinion so I guess it's okay. But when CBS awards a player of the game award to BOTH schools it always seems kind of rediculous. Yeah they put $1000 in each schools scholorship fund too, I know. (What's that 2 maybe 3 text books and a 6 pack of red bulls?) When JJ went off at the end of a Wake Forest loss a couple years ago, he probably was the best player that night on either team. But if you don't win, who cares if you pull down a tripple double every night. I know, it sounds like sour grapes. I guess it's just a society thing that irks me like giving everyone in field day a ribbon / medal because they don't want anyone to feel left out. I'll shut up now, feel free to throw tomatoes at me and my soap box.

Jumbo
03-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Please remember to vote here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/)too.

TwoDukeTattoos
03-10-2008, 09:59 AM
6 points, 3 rebounds and 1 blocked shot in 9 minutes. Not too bad. He continues to get better and stronger and may be incredibly huge for us in the Tourney.