PDA

View Full Version : Duke WBB upsets Maryland; ACCCG Sunday vs UNC

Indoor66
03-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Duke women play UNC for ACC championship tomorrow. Congrats on the win over MD!

CameronBornAndBred
03-08-2008, 05:37 PM
That was the best game they have played all year, beautiful job by Cheek and Smith. Back to back Unc-Duke game weekend, gotta love it! Best of luck tomorrow ladies, GTHCGTH!

godukerocks
03-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Joy and Wanisha played magnificent.

Can't wait for tonight, and tomorow.

vabluedevil
03-08-2008, 05:39 PM
over Maryland! Congrats to the female Blue Devils! They looked good.
Now, let's get Carolina!

Lavabe
03-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Duke women play UNC for ACC championship tomorrow. Congrats on the win over MD!

Congrats to the women!

Would the championship game count towards the Carlyle Cup?

Thanks,
Lavabe

sagegrouse
03-08-2008, 05:45 PM
The women took a lead (after trailing badly early) based on wonderful shooting by Cheek and Smith.

I thought the most positive part of the game was how quick and aggressive duke looked in the 2nd half. The shooting was OK but the ball-hawking rebounding and overall play was the best I've seen this year.

Way to go!

sagegrouse

ohioguy2
03-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Way to go ladies. Seemed as if there was more fun being had today than in awhile. I really liked the aggressive work on the boards. GTHC

wisteria
03-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Congratulations~~~
In China, today, March 8th, is the "international" Women's Day. (Although it's a big day over there, apparently it's only celebrated in a few countries.) It's great to see our women's team to play so well on this particular day.

Bring on UNC~~ Go to hell carolina go to hell !!!

DukeFencer
03-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Women's basketball is worth two points, both of which Carolina has right now after winning the regular season games. BUT you do have a chance to get those points back in ACC & NCAA tournaments.

Carlyle Cup website:

"Points for each sport are awarded "winner take all" on which school wins more head-to-head meetings or has a higher ACC finish. If all head-to-head meetings are split, each school gets one-half of the designated point total. Post-season (ACC, NCAA Tournament) is included in head-to-head meetings."

I don't know what the score is if we win in the ACC but don't come up against them in the NCAA making it 1-2.

gadzooks
03-08-2008, 07:17 PM
AMAZING game; I had no expectations coming into this, and was absolutely giddy by the end! Fantastic games from Cheek and Smith, really solid play overall--too bad Black didn't have a good game, but that was more than made up for. Go Blue Devils! GTHC!!!

dukelifer
03-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Let's give some credit to Coach P for making an adjustment against a team that beat Duke twice by playing very physical with Maryland. Also, Duke won with their top scorer getting 2 points and fouling out. Waner made some tough plays at the end-despite a poor shooting game. This was a hard fought win and Coach P deserves some kudos Duke looked fresher than Maryland. Duke has a good chance tomorrow particularly since Chante will be very rested.

ehdg
03-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Way too go women!! This had been a very up and down year specially with the change in coaching. But they seem to be hitting their stride at the right time. Keep up the good work and good luck on Sunday!!

dukegirlinsc
03-08-2008, 08:06 PM
CONGRATS LADIES!

GTHC, GTH!

yancem
03-08-2008, 08:15 PM
What a great win! I was working around the house and getting my taxes together and for got about the women playing today. I hope that this a sign of good things to come to finish out the season. I know that this has been a difficult season in many respects but if we could pull off a w against UNC and make a decent run in the ncaa tourney that might build some good momentum going into Coach P's second season.

Sandman
03-09-2008, 12:18 AM
It was great to see the women play with enthusiasm and emotion in the Maryland game. They seemed happier and more excited than I have seen them in other games this season. But I did notice one thing that bothered me. Late in the second half, during time-outs when the cameras focused on the Duke huddle, there was NO emotion or excitement displayed by Coach P. I know she has a reputation for calm demeanor, and I'm certainly not dissing her intensity, but isn't there a time when some visible excitement and emotion would benefit the team?

PomPomGirl
03-09-2008, 01:11 AM
I was very excited to see this win, especially since it clearly ended up being the bright spot in the day. I did not have high hopes going into this game based off of the few games I had been able to catch on TV to date.

Now, to get a win against Carolina this weekend!

dukelifer
03-09-2008, 09:42 AM
It was great to see the women play with enthusiasm and emotion in the Maryland game. They seemed happier and more excited than I have seen them in other games this season. But I did notice one thing that bothered me. Late in the second half, during time-outs when the cameras focused on the Duke huddle, there was NO emotion or excitement displayed by Coach P. I know she has a reputation for calm demeanor, and I'm certainly not dissing her intensity, but isn't there a time when some visible excitement and emotion would benefit the team?

This is not really correct. There have been plenty of times she has shown intensity and got in players faces- even in the game yesterday. But Duke was plenty intense. There was one time out where a time out was called and Waner got the team together briefly before going to the bench to get everyone on the same page. This team needs to find themselves and define themselves as a post season team. They are a bit unusual. If Waner can somehow rediscover her three point shooting in the next few weeks- they could be a dangerous team.

BlueDevilBaby
03-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Congrats, Ladies. What poise and control down the stretch when MD made a run. Much different team than the one I saw get drubbed at Comcast Center. Now go whip you some tarhole but this afternoon!

godukerocks
03-09-2008, 01:05 PM
I live in Florida, and the game is being blacked out for some local game...is there anywhere online I can find the game? I've tried channelsurfing.net, but they don't have it.

YmoBeThere
03-09-2008, 05:38 PM
FWIW, the women lost to Carolina by 13 this afternoon. Not a great weekend for Duke basketball. On to the tournaments.