PDA

View Full Version : Senior night - thank you Markie!

mike88
03-08-2008, 12:35 PM
On a Saturday morning in May 2002, I headed over to Cameron with my then not-quite-1-year-old son to watch the Bob Gibbons tournament. The stands were mostly empty, and we sat down to watch a team from Southern California play a Michigan team that was loaded with Div I prospects. The California team won that day, in large part because of the play of a strong wing player from Sacramento who seemingly could not miss. I happened to be sitting next to his father who remarked "You may be seeing alot more of my son in the future." I believe it was a few days later that DeMarcus Nelson committed to Duke.

We have been so fortunate to have Markie here for the past 4 years. He has always played hard, even when fighting off injuries, and has grown into a great leader his senior year. It is always a little bittersweet when our players have their last game in Cameron, but I hope we can send #21 off with a victory tonight.

Thanks for coming to Duke, Markie, and good luck vs UNC!

pfrduke
03-08-2008, 12:43 PM
On a Saturday morning in May 2002, I headed over to Cameron with my then not-quite-1-year-old son to watch the Bob Gibbons tournament. The stands were mostly empty, and we sat down to watch a team from Southern California play a Michigan team that was loaded with Div I prospects. The California team won that day, in large part because of the play of a strong wing player from Sacramento who seemingly could not miss. I happened to be sitting next to his father who remarked "You may be seeing alot more of my son in the future." I believe it was a few days later that DeMarcus Nelson committed to Duke.

We have been so fortunate to have Markie here for the past 4 years. He has always played hard, even when fighting off injuries, and has grown into a great leader his senior year. It is always a little bittersweet when our players have their last game in Cameron, but I hope we can send #21 off with a victory tonight.

When I really think about it, Nelson's career arc (except for the injuries) has been so much like the last #21 to play at Duke. A highly rated recruit who struggled a little bit early (particularly with his outside shot), only to develop into the most valuable player and lone senior leader on a young and very talented team. Nelson, in my opinion, holds a place right next to Chris Duhon in the annals of Duke basketball. Duhon had the signature moment of his senior season come against UNC (the coast-to-coast game-winning layup in OT in the Dean Dome), and I can only hope DeMarcus gets to pull off some similar heroics tonight. Regardless, I know I'll have just a wee bit of a lump in my throat watching Nelson take the Cameron court for the last time (what can I say - I'm a softie).

pfrduke
03-08-2008, 12:45 PM

I was at that game too! I remember watching Nelson and going - wow, I've never heard of this kid, but he's really, really good (I actually think I wrote a post about it on the old board - is there an archive of the old board posts that I can search to try to find it?). And then he did commit very shortly thereafter - I think he got the offer that weekend at the tournament.

blazindw
03-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Nelson has reminded me of Duhon his whole career, as both their times at Duke had similar tracks. I graduated the same year as Duhon, and I remember the next season turning on the tv to watch the first game and thinking that I was watching an old contest. Markie had the same build as Duhon then. He has turned into every bit the great player we thought he would be.

Thanks DeMarcus for 4 great years. Let's hope that he can end his career in Cameron the same way that Duhon did: with a victory over UNC!

Devilsfan
03-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks DeMarcus, for all the great moments. It's hard toi believe it's been four years. We are all glad you chose Duke. Keep up the great leadership.

Madrasdukie
03-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Nelson, in my opinion, holds a place right next to Chris Duhon in the annals of Duke basketball.

Nelson has reminded me of Duhon his whole career, as both their times at Duke had similar tracks. I graduated the same year as Duhon, and I remember the next season turning on the tv to watch the first game and thinking that I was watching an old contest. Markie had the same build as Duhon then. He has turned into every bit the great player we thought he would be.

Thanks DeMarcus for 4 great years. Let's hope that he can end his career in Cameron the same way that Duhon did: with a victory over UNC!

During the 2004 Men's basketball banquet/ awards ceremony that I attended from the stands, Chris Duhon had just finished saying that Wojo was one of the big reasons he chose to attend Duke. I remember Coach K subsequently tell the gathering that DeMarcus Nelson (who was to become a freshmen later that year) was inspired by Chris Duhon and that that was a big reason for his commitment to Duke.

I absolutely enjoyed watching Nelson play.

mkirsh
03-08-2008, 02:48 PM
The Duhon comparisons are interesting, but DeMarcus's senior season reminds me most of Chris Carrawell's. Stepping up from role player to dominant force their senior years, defending the other teams best player all over the court, slightly unconventional games, great leadership, and most importantly representing Duke in the best possible way. Let's hope Markie can pull of a senior night rout like C-Well did.

9F

DukeDevilDeb
03-08-2008, 02:54 PM
The Duhon comparisons are interesting, but DeMarcus's senior season reminds me most of Chris Carrawell's. Stepping up from role player to dominant force their senior years, defending the other teams best player all over the court, slightly unconventional games, great leadership, and most importantly representing Duke in the best possible way. Let's hope Markie can pull of a senior night rout like C-Well did.

9F

The comparison to Carawell is a better one, I think. ALthough I will never forget Chris going end-to-end at Carolina to win that game, Carawell's performance his entire senior year was amazing. He was interviewed either yesterday or the day before on 850 the Buzz and talked about his time at Duke and how great it was.

Markie, I have taught you in class and seen you all around campus. I'll be there tonight to say Thank You in the way Crazies do. Your challenges here at Duke have been overwhelming (esp. injuries), but your performance this year has been nothing short of spectacular!

Here's to a win for Markie on Senior Night! #21, we love you!

jimbonelson
03-08-2008, 03:56 PM
thanks and good luck in the NBA

Lotus000
03-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Many thanks to THE CAPTAIN!!!

What a great kid. What a great season he's having.

BlueBlood112883
03-08-2008, 04:25 PM
When I really think about it, Nelson's career arc (except for the injuries) has been so much like the last #21 to play at Duke. A highly rated recruit who struggled a little bit early (particularly with his outside shot), only to develop into the most valuable player and lone senior leader on a young and very talented team. Nelson, in my opinion, holds a place right next to Chris Duhon in the annals of Duke basketball. Duhon had the signature moment of his senior season come against UNC (the coast-to-coast game-winning layup in OT in the Dean Dome), and I can only hope DeMarcus gets to pull off some similar heroics tonight. Regardless, I know I'll have just a wee bit of a lump in my throat watching Nelson take the Cameron court for the last time (what can I say - I'm a softie).

I agree and also another #21 that had injury probs but overcame them in Trajan Langdon. It's sad to see Markie play his last game in Cameron tonight so I want him to go out with a win.

Olympic Fan
03-08-2008, 04:46 PM
With so many retired jersies, it's great to see a number that has produced so many good players in a row.

The current streak started with Jay Bilas. He passed it on to Robert Brickey. He passed it on to Tony Lang and from there to Langdon, Duhon in Nelson in succession.

Wow -- I love all those players. That's 24 straight years of excellence without a break.

As for DeMarcus, I really respect the way he's persevered in his career. Injured as a freshman ... injured as a soph ... he's made himself into a great player -- a clear first-team All-ACC choice (in many years, he'd be an ACC POY candidate, although that will go to Hanstravel this season).

I'm not suggesting that No. 21 be retired -- it shouldn't be -- but I hope the staff keeps the winning streak alive. I'd love to see Elliott Williams in No. 21 next season.

PS Maybe I like the number because my first Duke hero wore No. 21 -- Howard Hurt was a star on the 1960 team that won Duke's first ACC title. I was 10 years old at the time and he was my favorite player. Later, he became a great high school coach at Enloe in Raleigh, where he mentored future Duke star Randy Denton.

Madrasdukie
03-08-2008, 04:50 PM
With so many retired jersies, it's great to see a number that has produced so many good players in a row.

The current streak started with Jay Bilas. He passed it on to Robert Brickey. He passed it on to Tony Lang and from there to Langdon, Duhon in Nelson in succession.

Wow -- I love all those players. That's 24 straight years of excellence without a break.

As for DeMarcus, I really respect the way he's persevered in his career. Injured as a freshman ... injured as a soph ... he's made himself into a great player -- a clear first-team All-ACC choice (in many years, he'd be an ACC POY candidate, although that will go to Hanstravel this season).

I'm not suggesting that No. 21 be retired -- it shouldn't be -- but I hope the staff keeps the winning streak alive. I'd love to see Elliott Williams in No. 21 next season.

PS Maybe I like the number because my first Duke hero wore No. 21 -- Howard Hurt was a star on the 1960 team that won Duke's first ACC title. I was 10 years old at the time and he was my favorite player. Later, he became a great high school coach at Enloe in Raleigh, where he mentored future Duke star Randy Denton.

The historical perspective is pretty neat. I wonder if new players actually look into Duke basketball lore before they chose their number.

Ben63
03-08-2008, 05:07 PM
I absolutely enjoyed watching Nelson play.

Enjoyed!?! Heres to 10 more games, starting tonight.

But yes, it has been a pleasure to watch him play at Duke.
Thank you DeMarcus and good luck in the Association.

Madrasdukie
03-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Enjoyed!?! Heres to 10 more games, starting tonight.

Right on, here's to 10 more...!!

Fish80
03-08-2008, 06:13 PM
DeMarcus, I bow in homage! D-Mark! D-Mark D-Mark!

I'm a huge fan of yours and very much enjoy watching your game. I'm so appreciative of the four years you've given us and your great senior season. But most of all I admire your senior leadership and the way you represent the university.

Thank you, DeMarcus! Mon capitaine!

Lavabe
03-08-2008, 06:58 PM
TMarkie, I have taught you in class and seen you all around campus. I'll be there tonight to say Thank You in the way Crazies do. Your challenges here at Duke have been overwhelming (esp. injuries), but your performance this year has been nothing short of spectacular!

Here's to a win for Markie on Senior Night! #21, we love you!

It's wonderful to see that bond between student and faculty ... and a great reminder about what binds us all together. Markie is one of many great players we've had the privilege to witness. No matter what comparison gets made, Markie is one of a kind.

After tonight, here's to hoping for nine more chances to see Markie further his place in Duke history!

CHEERS!!!
Lavabe

OldPhiKap
03-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Markie has grown into one hell of a leader. Whoever compared him to C-Well is right on.

I am proud to have had you represent us for the last four years, and in the years to come. Enjoy tonight, beat Carolina, and carry us through to the NC!!!

DukieBoy
03-08-2008, 07:27 PM
my fave d-mark moment wasn't highly touted but i think it was against va. tech last season when we were down three with a few seconds left in the 2nd half wen d-mark pulled up and buried the shot to send it to ot....we lost the game but i he was the man from then on

Classof06
03-08-2008, 07:37 PM
It's been so gratifying watching Demarcus finally have the kind of year we all knew he was capable of. It's been a long, injury-filled road since Demarcus first stepped foot on campus but the kid has persevered and that's what makes this season all the more gratifying. It's been a joy watching Demarcus play for Duke.

I remember Nelson's freshman year (my junior year), when we played UNC at Cameron and Nelson came off the bench to score 16 points in 29 minutes. That was when I knew Demarcus was a special player and I hope to see him leave the rivalry like he entered it.

If there's anything that could actually make me want Duke to win even more, it's by virtue of sending Demarcus off on the right note.

GO DUKE

ehdg
03-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Thank you Markie for endevoring to the end and finally having the year/season you have always been capable of displaying to us!! It's so good to finally see you performing with a totally healthy body! You have done well and made us all so proud to have you as a leader of our team to root for and support!!

willywoody
03-08-2008, 08:07 PM
it's sad to see his time winding down with us. he always brings it, every night. it's been great to have him healthy for a season.

thanks for all you've done for our school mr. nelson and best wishes on all your future endeavors.

dukegirlinsc
03-08-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm almost starting to feel as though I may have taken Demarcus for granted a tiny bit...or either his time as a Blue Devil has seriously flown by. The last 2 or 3 weeks I've really been enjoying watching Demarcus play, he's grown so much since the beginning of the season.

I will miss him tremendously next year. I can't say it enough. He doesn't get enough national credit, imo. He's almost a "Nate James" type role to me. He's not always the leading scorer, but he's trying his damn hardest and, most of the time, works through his mistakes.

jaimedun34
03-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Markie is up there with my favorite Bue Devils - Hill, Battier and Ewing.

ricks68
03-09-2008, 01:24 AM
Thank you sooooooooooooooo much for everything you have done for us. May your future be at least as bright as your past. The best of luck in your remaining games in a Duke uniform! (And good luck in the NFL-----yes, I said the NFL.)

ricks

BlueHeaven
03-09-2008, 01:26 AM
Thanks for staying and thanks for four great years. You won't realize until you've left the Gothic Wonderland, how much you've meant to those of us who have gone before. Good luck!

beltwayBD
03-09-2008, 11:26 AM

Like to take this chance to add my thanks -- it has been a pleasure to watch DeMarcus, and he has been outstanding leader during this regular season to what many have noted is a very young team. He's got a lot of heart, and has been good to Cameron.

Now lets beat UNC in the ACC tournament!!

pete
03-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Markie will be missed for a multitude of reasons strength, hustle, determination. He improved every facet of his game this season less turnovers, more assists, rebounds shooting percentage, clutch plays, the list goes on and on. I feel bad he had what I thought was his worst game of the season last night but hey next play the season isn't over yet and he may not be the last nelson to play for us. I got the pleasure last week to watch his little/big brother 6'6 Darius Nelson a 15 year old Freshman with tons of potential at Arco Arena home of the Sac Kings in a section playoff game. After getting double teamed and scoring only 2 points in the 1st half and his team down by 10 points little brother scored 23 points in the second half capped by a drive the length of the court with 5 seconds left and drained a pull up three at the buzzer to tie the game 47-47. They ended up losing in overtime but the point is the Nelson boys are a tough pair and hopefully Darius will chose Duke in a few years and Markie will get a shot to play at the next level after leading us to a National Title. Everybody out there let's stay positive we're not done yet.

weezie
03-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Demarcus! A treasured Dukie, a gentleman, a blessing! Go forth and prosper...

BCGroup
03-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Right on, here's to 10 more...!!

Absolutely--everyone starts over for the tournaments, and Nelson's leadership will be the difference maker.

camcraz25
03-10-2008, 01:48 AM
Anyone have a summary of what he said in his 'senior speech' after the game? Maybe I missed it in another thread..point me in that direction if that's the case!