PDA

View Full Version : Other Duke UNC Games on TV

BCGroup
03-07-2008, 07:11 AM
According to the N and O, ESPNU will be showing several games tomorrow
* 2001 Carolina victory at Duke, 12:30 a.m. Saturday.

* 2004 Duke overtime victory at Carolina, 2 a.m.

* 2005 Duke win at Duke, 4 a.m.

* 2006 UNC win at Duke, 9 a.m.

* 2008 Duke win at UNC, 10:30.
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/987230.html

Today, on ESPN Classic, from 1-7 you can catch three games:
1996, 2000, and 1995.

Ignatius07
03-07-2008, 09:20 AM
* 2004 Duke overtime victory at Carolina, 2 a.m.

* 2005 Duke win at Duke, 4 a.m.

* 2006 UNC win at Duke, 9 a.m.

Those three games - in three straight years - really epitomized how great this rivalry is. I think the game from earlier this year is a more questionable inclusion, though it's probably because it was so recent. I will definitely be DVRing the 04 OT win.

Edit: I originally was thinking the 06 UNC win at Duke was in fact the 05 UNC win at UNC (which was a much more exciting game). I would argue that the 06 UNC win in Cameron is like the Duke win in the Dean Dome earlier this year - fans of the losing team probably have no reason they'd want to watch it.

Cameron
03-07-2008, 02:45 PM
I would argue that the 06 UNC win in Cameron is like the Duke win in the Dean Dome earlier this year - fans of the losing team probably have no reason they'd want to watch it.

Had Sean not taken that ill-advised shot attempt in the final half minute, after Markie's incredible succession of three-point bombs had put us in prime real estate to make a comeback for the ages, then the 2006 game in Cameron could have been one of the ALL-TIME greats.

Even with the loss, however, it was a fantastic finish over the last ten minutes. We were getting drilled, JJ was playing very poorly in his Indoor finale, and Hansbrough was cleaning house. Not a good night by any measure. Then, amazingness came shining down from the Heavens like a bolt of lightning. Markie had arrived as a Duke player. He stepped up and drilled back to back bombs to help inch the deficit to two, and we were suddenly back. I distinctly remember receiving a call from my Blue Devil cousin after the second one went down and screaming "This is better than Cocaine" into the phone (not that I know what cocaine is or what it feels like). My Dad, who is also a Duke fan and who was watching the game with me, just looked back at me and stared. :D

It was a wonderful moment. Too bad it ended with my head getting smashed by a truck. (Which, I guess, would only further defend the notion that Markie's three-point barrage was very similar to a certain substance).

shoutingncu
03-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Obviously, I have a different feeling about the '06 Game at Cameron than all of you, but completely agree that the end of it was very telling... You probably recall that Carolina went on to a fairly poor showing in the ACC tournament, and not a particularly impressive win in the first round of the NCAA's.

When recounting the end of the season to my Duke brother, I commented that Carolina's loss in the tourney was expected, you can't play badly for three straight games (two in the ACC, one in the NCAA), and corrected myself to add, "three straight games plus two minutes" dating backing to the Demarcus Nelson Show, brought to you by the Carolina offense.

DukieInKansas
03-08-2008, 01:29 AM
The best part of watching the 2001 game right now - no TV announcers. Just the public address announcer and the crowd. They even showed Dicky V, Dan Patrick (I think), and Brad Daugherty talking at the beginning of the 2nd half but not sound. It is great.