PDA

View Full Version : Elliot Williams, Mason Plumlee and Greg Echenique attending the UNC game

watzone
03-06-2008, 01:25 PM
I am sure the Cameron Crazies are aware that these three guys will be in the house and will show them some love (cheersheets).

Elliot Williams - has already committed to play at Duke and will be here next year.

Mason Plumlee - recently committed and will be here in 09.

Greg Echenique - This big man has yet to commit and has a long list. He would be considered a priority prospect. I am not good at this, but his last name is pronounced Ecth cha nee k ... I think! I will confirm. I know how to say it but not convey it;)

watzone
03-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Etch-cha-nee-k is the correct pronunciation. Give him a warm welcome Crazies.

Elliot's nickname is "e-mail." I suppose E-Will would do. Anyhow, he is a showtime dunker.

crote
03-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Etch-cha-nee-k is the correct pronunciation.

That last syllable, does it sound like "kay" or just a "kuh" sound? In other words, does his name end in "neek" or "neekay"?

ugadevil
03-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Watzone,

When you say that these three individuals will be attending the UNC game, does that mean that they will be together? I wasn't sure if Mason and Elliot would be spending a lot of time with Greg, and hopefully encouraging him to come to Duke. Will the 3 of them be hanging out or will they all just be at the game?

stals
03-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Could be that Eli and Archie Manning will be there,too, showing support for Coach Cutcliffe's new school. What a great ESPN shot, the Mannings wearing Duke caps...that would help recruiting!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Could be that Eli and Archie Manning will be there,too, showing support for Coach Cutcliffe's new school. What a great ESPN shot, the Mannings wearing Duke caps...that would help recruiting!

And them flashing their Super Bowl rings would be sweet too for recruiting! I guess that Eli doesn't actually have his yet. Don't they (a team's winning players) usually get them at the start of the next season?

DangerDevil
03-06-2008, 03:41 PM

I know of their connection to Coach Cut but is your statement hopeful speculation or is it based on something else that you know?

OZZIE4DUKE
03-06-2008, 03:45 PM
I know of their connection to Coach Cut but is your statement hopeful speculation or is it based on something else that you know?

That (the connection), plus having the opportunity for the first time to attend this game in Cameron because of the connection.

Channing
03-06-2008, 03:46 PM
how about resurrecting one of my favorite chants of all time - but instead of J-Will J-Will Rock You, make it E-Will?

stals
03-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Look for them sitting next to Pres. Brodhead.

ne1btunc
03-06-2008, 03:53 PM
what he said ^^^ this wont be the last time the manning boys will be here this year....

miramar
03-06-2008, 04:17 PM
That last syllable, does it sound like "kay" or just a "kuh" sound? In other words, does his name end in "neek" or "neekay"?

The last syllable is just like the "que" in "¿Qué pasa?" so it's a "ke" sound with a short e (much like the first syllable of "kerosene," rather "kay" or "kuh"). And the accent is on the "ni": E-che-NI-que. As you would expect, the "che" sounds just like Che Guevara, and the "ni" is like "knee" in English, but shorter.

watzone
03-06-2008, 04:47 PM
The last syllable is just like the "que" in "¿Qué pasa?" so it's a "ke" sound with a short e (much like the first syllable of "kerosene," rather "kay" or "kuh"). And the accent is on the "ni": E-che-NI-que. As you would expect, the "che" sounds just like Che Guevara, and the "ni" is like "knee" in English, but shorter.

Thanks for explaining the pronunciation. You've got it down.

weezie
03-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Look for them sitting next to Pres. Brodhead.

I might just faint! Holy smokes! I remember seeing Jeter standing just inside the doors a couple of years ago, it was enough to make me start babbling.

bigj4194
03-07-2008, 10:25 AM
matthew mcconaughey will also be at the carolina game if anyone is interested (this is coming from (tickle me) L-Mo i.e. Larry Moneta)

9F

DukePA
03-07-2008, 10:30 AM
matthew mcconaughey will also be at the carolina game if anyone is interested (this is coming from (tickle me) L-Mo i.e. Larry Moneta)

9F

Ooooh. Hopefully wearing a Duke tee shirt like he did in the movie "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" with Kate Hudson!!

VTBaller03
03-07-2008, 10:58 AM
On a serious note, I read in a recent article that Kenny was still planning on his visit. I figured the article was dated or just some misinformation, but wanted to know if Watzone knew anything about it.

Thanks!

Mal
03-07-2008, 06:58 PM
And them flashing their Super Bowl rings would be sweet too for recruiting! I guess that Eli doesn't actually have his yet. Don't they (a team's winning players) usually get them at the start of the next season?

FWIW, nor does Archie. In fact, IIRC, he never even made the playoffs, much less won a Super Bowl. Still would be nice to see them featured on the tube sitting next to Cutcliffe, of course!

Now, if Payton were there, we'd see some ring flashing. :)

Uncle Drew
03-07-2008, 07:37 PM
I might just faint! Holy smokes! I remember seeing Jeter standing just inside the doors a couple of years ago, it was enough to make me start babbling.

Yeah Jeter and then some guy named Alex Rodrigez Duke missed out on and both came to Duke for visits. Someone needs to address why Duke can't recruit power hitting shortstops and 3rd basemen! LOL!

watzone
03-08-2008, 01:09 AM
Hey Crazies! I know you will cheer hard and all. But please make sure Echenique gets some love. Williams and Plumlee too. I was out about amongst you guys tonight/last night and it was pretty cool.

gotham devil
03-08-2008, 01:45 AM
Hey Crazies! I know you will cheer hard and all. But please make sure Echenique gets some love. Williams and Plumlee too. I was out about amongst you guys tonight/last night and it was pretty cool.

Greg Echenique is definitely a person that deserves chants, etc.
Hopefully, he has a great time tomorrow.

west_coast_devil
03-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Does anybody have any insight on how Greg Echenique's visit went on saturday? He appears to have a lot of potential and would fill a position that Duke has been lacking for a couple of years. Man, I hope he commits. Thanks.

dukemomLA
03-12-2008, 05:00 PM
OKay, watching on TV here from the Left Coast, I obviously saw the Mannings. (GO GIANTS!! YAHOO!!). Were our recruits and Ech, etc. in the crowd? Did they sit together? Were there cheers for EW, MP, and more importantly the wonderful not-yet-committed Greg?

Any thoughts from people at the game? Were there some cool chants for these guys?

kcduke75
03-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Does anybody have any insight on how Greg Echenique's visit went on saturday? He appears to have a lot of potential and would fill a position that Duke has been lacking for a couple of years. Man, I hope he commits. Thanks.

I was also wondering.

From where I sat he seemed to just sit there and take it all in. Several players that have committed have done the same thing, but is sure is disconcerting.

He appeared to be big, especially next to Plumlee while walking across the court to the locker room to listen to Coach K's pregame speech.

Any free buzz available?

Soon2BDukedad
03-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Being from NJ I was not at "the" game but can report that Greg was in Piscatawaay NJ at the game between NJ's #1 and 2 HS teams...St. Anthony's and St. Patrick's. At one point near end of game, St. Anthony's Mike Rosario who will be going to Rutgers in the Fall hit a big 3 and Fred Hill yelled over to Greg "...when you come here with Mike we're going to put Rutgers on the map." He was near gitty with glee!
It is fairly big up here in NJ that Rutgers is going hard after Greg as it continues it never ending search to be find its place on a "map".

devilboomer
03-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Being from NJ I was not at "the" game but can report that Greg was in Piscatawaay NJ at the game between NJ's #1 and 2 HS teams...St. Anthony's and St. Patrick's. At one point near end of game, St. Anthony's Mike Rosario who will be going to Rutgers in the Fall hit a big 3 and Fred Hill yelled over to Greg "...when you come here with Mike we're going to put Rutgers on the map." He was near gitty with glee!
It is fairly big up here in NJ that Rutgers is going hard after Greg as it continues it never ending search to be find its place on a "map".

Sorry I need you to clarify this. When you said "he was near gitty with glee," are you referring to Greg Echenique or Fred Hill?

I'm just having a hard time imagining Greg being "giddy with glee." Also I'm having a hard time stomaching this bad news...

kydevil
03-13-2008, 11:29 AM
The whole Greg Echenique situation reminds me a little of the PP saga. A lot of hear say will go around IMO

PatZorro
03-13-2008, 01:02 PM
The whole Greg Echenique situation reminds me a little of the PP saga. A lot of hear say will go around IMO

I think you are dead on. Echenique, perhaps more than any other recruit we are going after, means much more, and to more programs, than most of the other recruits in the nation. This is not to say that there are not better players than he, because there are. But there are few players who have his size and skill who project to me multi-year players in college. I see this as very similiar to the Patrick Patterson situation.

Greg Monroe, good though he undoubtedly is, may not be in school for more than one year. For a super talented team, like Duke or G-Town, he could push them over the top even for that one year. If he delivers a final four or better, then leaves, so what. At least in the minds of some people. Both those teams can reload, and quickly, lessing the impact of his early departure.

Echenique projects as a multi year player. His first year he might deliver little more than rebounding, defense, and some garbage baskets, a la Shel's first year. For a team like Duke, where we have loads of points, we don't need him to do much more. Over the next few years he could develop into a true low post beast.

For lesser talented teams, like Rutgers, Miami, and a few others, Echenique does not offer a quick fix or ticket to the FF. But he is valuabe in another way. He is a multi year player that can contribute immediately, and still be built arround. Other, rawer bigs can be enticed with the promise of some key minutes off the bench as they themselves develop. Perimeter players can be enticed knowing that there is a big in place to play with. For programs on the rise, or hoping to be, such as Rutgers and Miami, he is a huge get.

For programs such as these, a Greg Monroe or Mike Beasly don't help in the long run. The stars provide an instant bump, but they aren't there long enough to build arround or ensure lasting success. If those stars don't contribute at least a strong Elite Eight showing, they might as well have not come because the team will immediately sink down to their previous level.

Thus, for the programs Greg is considering, he is a must get. At Duke, he might well be the key inside piece that would lead to a national championship caliber team, or god willing, teamS. For Rutgers and Miami he represents a key building block on a road to being a nationally relevant program. He represents this to every team on his list, and, indeed, the nation, because he is a good big, but not so good that he will bolt after 1 or probably even 2 years.

At Duke, he is THE key get. As much as I would like to get one of Macdonald or the FL guard or both, we would be OK without either of them. K and the staff would scrounge up one quality guard, and I mean McD's AA quality, out of the Junior class. And if we miss on our two top guard prospects, I would bet that prospects in the soph class who are currently sussing out Duke's situation would jump at the scholly offers.

Quality, multi year bigs are the rarest commodity in college hoops. Excellent guard play, especially at the point, may well be more important, but that is easier to obtain than a multi year, quality, true low-post big man a-la Shel.

So, yeah, the Echenique recruitment will get real ugly, real quick. Miami is having a good year, but Haith was firmly on the hot seat until Late January. With a few key defections from this year's team, and a few bad bounces next year, he could be right back on that hot seat come Feb 09. At Rutgers, the Rosario get was key, but he was shock addition to the McD's AA team. A bad year will have some questioning if the Rut Coach can get it done, especially if he continues to wave good bye to the cream of the NJ crop. A commitment from a quality big like Echenique would GUARANTEE the coaches additional time to plug in the big man to see what develops.

We really, really, really WANT Echenique. He might make us one the the national elites. Miami and Rutgers are perilously close to NEEDING him. His personal future looks equally bright at any school. At Duke, he will probably get more team success immediately, with less individual stardom as a key contributor on a loaded team. At Rutgers and Miami, he will have more immediate individual success, albeit on less talented and less successful teams. By his Jr year anywhere, he has a strong chance to be the Man on a nationally relevant team, assuming that Miami and Rut can recruit arround him, which is no great leap of faith.

Which of those paths is better is up for debate, and can only be answered by him. Until he does so, definitively, there will be a huge media circus arround him.

PatZorro

Indoor66
03-13-2008, 01:20 PM
I think you are dead on. Echenique, perhaps more than any other recruit we are going after, means much more, and to more programs, than most of the other recruits in the nation. This is not to say that there are not better players than he, because there are. But there are few players who have his size and skill who project to me multi-year players in college. I see this as very similiar to the Patrick Patterson situation.

Greg Monroe, good though he undoubtedly is, may not be in school for more than one year. For a super talented team, like Duke or G-Town, he could push them over the top even for that one year. If he delivers a final four or better, then leaves, so what. At least in the minds of some people. Both those teams can reload, and quickly, lessing the impact of his early departure.

Echenique projects as a multi year player. His first year he might deliver little more than rebounding, defense, and some garbage baskets, a la Shel's first year. For a team like Duke, where we have loads of points, we don't need him to do much more. Over the next few years he could develop into a true low post beast.

For lesser talented teams, like Rutgers, Miami, and a few others, Echenique does not offer a quick fix or ticket to the FF. But he is valuabe in another way. He is a multi year player that can contribute immediately, and still be built arround. Other, rawer bigs can be enticed with the promise of some key minutes off the bench as they themselves develop. Perimeter players can be enticed knowing that there is a big in place to play with. For programs on the rise, or hoping to be, such as Rutgers and Miami, he is a huge get.

For programs such as these, a Greg Monroe or Mike Beasly don't help in the long run. The stars provide an instant bump, but they aren't there long enough to build arround or ensure lasting success. If those stars don't contribute at least a strong Elite Eight showing, they might as well have not come because the team will immediately sink down to their previous level.

Thus, for the programs Greg is considering, he is a must get. At Duke, he might well be the key inside piece that would lead to a national championship caliber team, or god willing, teamS. For Rutgers and Miami he represents a key building block on a road to being a nationally relevant program. He represents this to every team on his list, and, indeed, the nation, because he is a good big, but not so good that he will bolt after 1 or probably even 2 years.

At Duke, he is THE key get. As much as I would like to get one of Macdonald or the FL guard or both, we would be OK without either of them. K and the staff would scrounge up one quality guard, and I mean McD's AA quality, out of the Junior class. And if we miss on our two top guard prospects, I would bet that prospects in the soph class who are currently sussing out Duke's situation would jump at the scholly offers.

Quality, multi year bigs are the rarest commodity in college hoops. Excellent guard play, especially at the point, may well be more important, but that is easier to obtain than a multi year, quality, true low-post big man a-la Shel.

So, yeah, the Echenique recruitment will get real ugly, real quick. Miami is having a good year, but Haith was firmly on the hot seat until Late January. With a few key defections from this year's team, and a few bad bounces next year, he could be right back on that hot seat come Feb 09. At Rutgers, the Rosario get was key, but he was shock addition to the McD's AA team. A bad year will have some questioning if the Rut Coach can get it done, especially if he continues to wave good bye to the cream of the NJ crop. A commitment from a quality big like Echenique would GUARANTEE the coaches additional time to plug in the big man to see what develops.

We really, really, really WANT Echenique. He might make us one the the national elites. Miami and Rutgers are perilously close to NEEDING him. His personal future looks equally bright at any school. At Duke, he will probably get more team success immediately, with less individual stardom as a key contributor on a loaded team. At Rutgers and Miami, he will have more immediate individual success, albeit on less talented and less successful teams. By his Jr year anywhere, he has a strong chance to be the Man on a nationally relevant team, assuming that Miami and Rut can recruit arround him, which is no great leap of faith.

Which of those paths is better is up for debate, and can only be answered by him. Until he does so, definitively, there will be a huge media circus arround him.

PatZorro

Is this the reincarnation of Patrick Yates?

AKG
03-13-2008, 02:23 PM
The name is pretty close, and the writing style is a dead giveaway.

BD80
03-13-2008, 04:06 PM
... the writing style is a dead giveaway.

You mean long exposition with no breaths? Or do you consider pontification a style?

On a related issue, Jay Bilas is covering the Big East Tournament, and was noting that Jay Wright has a reputation as a terrific coach - except he can't recruit big men!!!

Jay is doing the UCon game right now and has essentially called them stupid 3 or 4 times.

bhd28
03-13-2008, 04:14 PM
You mean long exposition with no breaths? Or do you consider pontification a style?

On a related issue, Jay Bilas is covering the Big East Tournament, and was noting that Jay Wright has a reputation as a terrific coach - except he can't recruit big men!!!

Jay is doing the UCon game right now and has essentially called them stupid 3 or 4 times.

I didn't realize UConn was on. I enjoy watching Thabeet play. How many blocks does he have... and on a semi-related note, how many steals does AJ Price have?

Bluedog
03-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Is this the reincarnation of Patrick Yates?

He's not even really trying to conceal it. On his public profile, under interests is "Self Resurection". I like Patrick's posts personally...

jimsumner
03-13-2008, 04:59 PM
If it walks like a Yates, talks like a Yates, and smells like a Yates . . .

Troublemaker
03-13-2008, 05:02 PM
He's hitting the enter key way more often than previously.

BD80
03-13-2008, 05:40 PM
... and on a semi-related note, how many steals does AJ Price have?

Coke, expelled through the nose, onto keyboard. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Maybe AJ has a used laptop I can get cheap ...

devildeac
03-13-2008, 10:54 PM
I didn't realize UConn was on. I enjoy watching Thabeet play. How many blocks does he have... and on a semi-related note, how many steals does AJ Price have?

are you including laptops?(hope I got the right U-con)

Soon2BDukedad
03-14-2008, 08:45 AM
To respond to your question, it was Freddy Hill who was "gitty". Old Freddy is under a ton of fire to get some real recruits into Rutgers. The HEAT is on him to produce some BIG recruits ASAP.
Having seen Greg play for St. Benedict's on a few occasions, should he come to Duke he will help immediately with some much needed muscle on the inside. He will find his place scoring as he becomes accustomed to the college game, but he will immediately improve Duke's inside presence. Can run the floor, works very hard throughout the game and seems to understand his offensive game is "inside". He would really be a tremendous addition for Duke.
But you can be certain that Rutgers is going to offer him "the world".

devilboomer
03-14-2008, 10:17 AM
To respond to your question, it was Freddy Hill who was "gitty". Old Freddy is under a ton of fire to get some real recruits into Rutgers. The HEAT is on him to produce some BIG recruits ASAP.
Having seen Greg play for St. Benedict's on a few occasions, should he come to Duke he will help immediately with some much needed muscle on the inside. He will find his place scoring as he becomes accustomed to the college game, but he will immediately improve Duke's inside presence. Can run the floor, works very hard throughout the game and seems to understand his offensive game is "inside". He would really be a tremendous addition for Duke.
But you can be certain that Rutgers is going to offer him "the world".

Hey thanks Dukedad...that's very helpful. I was worried for a moment that Greg was "giddy with glee," as this would have been a terrible sign (he was completely emotionless at the Duke/UNC game).

A lot of programs are going after this kid hard, that's for sure. Hopefully we will offer him the world, as well. Miami, Rutgers and Maryland worry me...in that respective order.

wallyman
03-14-2008, 10:56 AM
:confused:

he's very attuned to the academic qualities, which helps us, but will also help penn, which may be an environment he's more comfortable in. i would not assume he won't end up there.

Bluedog
03-14-2008, 11:20 AM
:confused:

he's very attuned to the academic qualities, which helps us, but will also help penn, which may be an environment he's more comfortable in. i would not assume he won't end up there.

Pass up a scholarship worth ~$200,000 over four years to pay ~$45,000/yr at a school with similar academic credentials and far worse athletic credentials? Seems unlikely to me unless his parents have tons of money to burn....but I guess anything is possible.

freedevil
03-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Bluedog, in hopes of not causing a controversy from other posters, I will say this: the financial aid Ivy league schools bestow upon athletes, if they are truly disadvantaged when it comes to their family's income, is essentially a full scholarship.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. Schools give significant financial aid to socioeconomically disadvantaged violinists and actors and just plain excellent students. But, it does sort of call into question the "no scholarships for athletes" mantra.

I would imagine Greg would qualify for some type of financial aid if he is seriously considering Penn, given the numerical realities you raised.

UrinalCake
03-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Okay, a bit of a threadjack here... Plumlee's nickname next year should be "The Plumber." Because he always flushes it down!

Faison1
03-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Okay, a bit of a threadjack here... Plumlee's nickname next year should be "The Plumber." Because he always flushes it down!

Are you some sort of Bathroom Supplies Salesman? What's your infatuation with toilets?

Bluedog
03-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Bluedog, in hopes of not causing a controversy from other posters, I will say this: the financial aid Ivy league schools bestow upon athletes, if they are truly disadvantaged when it comes to their family's income, is essentially a full scholarship.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. Schools give significant financial aid to socioeconomically disadvantaged violinists and actors and just plain excellent students. But, it does sort of call into question the "no scholarships for athletes" mantra.

I would imagine Greg would qualify for some type of financial aid if he is seriously considering Penn, given the numerical realities you raised.

That is certainly very true and I agree with you. Duke and Penn's financial aid programs are similar, though, so one student would expect to get similar amounts. I know some people who received a larger package from Duke and others where the fin aid package at Penn was larger. Duke can't compete with Harvard and Princeton's financial aid, though, but certainly can with Penn. But I understand your point - heck, Duke is now virtually a full ride for families that make less than $60,000/yr starting next year (no parental contributions; requires ~$1,500/yr in student contributions and some small loans) and a complete full ride with no loans for families that make less than $40,000/yr. Sorry for getting so off topic.....Anyways, hopefully he'll see the bright future ahead at Duke and choose wisely! :)