PDA

View Full Version : Jerico

alteran
02-12-2008, 09:52 AM
For the maybe three other people here who watched Jericho, the season two premier is tonite, Feb 12 at 10pm EST on CBS. Apparently, the arc of the second season has been reduced to seven episodes, so don't blink or get a coke unless you have TiVo.

For those maybe open to something new in these "post-strike but still content-free" times, Jericho is an eclectic mix of disaster epic, x-files-type quasi-governmental conspiracy, and family drama. (In that order. I'm serious.)

If you're intrigued, you can get as much (or as little :D) info on last season as you want through the wikipedia link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho_(TV_series)#Synopsis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho_%28TV_series%29#Synopsis)

billybreen
02-12-2008, 10:17 AM
For the maybe three other people here who watched Jericho, the season two premier is tonite, Feb 12 at 10pm EST on CBS. Apparently, the arc of the second season has been reduced to seven episodes, so don't blink or get a coke unless you have TiVo.

For those maybe open to something new in these "post-strike but still content-free" times, Jericho is an eclectic mix of disaster epic, x-files-type quasi-governmental conspiracy, and family drama. (In that order. I'm serious.)

If you're intrigued, you can get as much (or as little :D) info on last season as you want through the wikipedia link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho_(TV_series)#Synopsis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho_%28TV_series%29#Synopsis)

Yep, I'm looking forward to it. I have a morbid fascination with all things eschatological, so Jericho is right up my alley. I'm just glad we even get these 7 episodes.

Clipsfan
02-12-2008, 04:49 PM
I was a fan of the first season, for the most part, but I really thought that they were trying to wrap up the show at the end of the season. I don't think that anyone thought that they would get a second season, and I'm curious as to how they deal with the way the first season ended.

billybreen
02-12-2008, 04:50 PM
I was a fan of the first season, for the most part, but I really thought that they were trying to wrap up the show at the end of the season. I don't think that anyone thought that they would get a second season, and I'm curious as to how they deal with the way the first season ended.

Really? They left the thing at a cliffhanger. If that's how they intended to wrap up the show, they must hate their viewers.

alteran
02-12-2008, 06:45 PM

Obviously, they've knocked off a main character. No getting around that.

You may not remember that the Cheyenne, Wyoming wing of the fractured US was coming in at the end of the episode. I think this whole season is going to be about the intra-governmental conspiracy, their relation to the various balkanized US fragments, and the Jericho-ians ability to ferret these connections out and deal with them.

Jfrosh
02-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Overall I enjoyed the episode. I worry though about future episodes. Don't want to give any spoilers but it appears to me the whole show dynamics have changed.

alteran
02-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Overall I enjoyed the episode. I worry though about future episodes. Don't want to give any spoilers but it appears to me the whole show dynamics have changed.

Agreed with the change in dynamics, less apocalypse, more conspiracy. I happen to like conspiracy shows, but I wonder how the other fans will feel.

Jfrosh
03-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Is anyone out there still watching Jerico. Despite some of the far fetched storylines and some evidently very subservient people, I am really enjoying it. So few shows out there (Lost) risk killing off major characters. The final scenes of the last episode, I jumped from the chair yelling at the TV, NO, What are you Doing? Knowing it wasn't going to end well.

alteran
03-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Is anyone out there still watching Jerico. Despite some of the far fetched storylines and some evidently very subservient people, I am really enjoying it. So few shows out there (Lost) risk killing off major characters. The final scenes of the last episode, I jumped from the chair yelling at the TV, NO, What are you Doing? Knowing it wasn't going to end well.

I TiVo'd this but haven't watched yet because the UNC 20-point victory over whomever bled into Jericho, which got air delayed by 7 minutes, thereby cutting off the end.

Please post the conclusion for me, if you don't mind. Thanks.

Loving Jericho this year, even though it's a much different show than last year.

BlueDevilBaby
03-06-2008, 01:35 PM
I've been watching. Was not keen on it at first, but I'm hooked now.

billybreen
03-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Yeah, I like it a lot. It's different from last year, but it's recognizable. It doesn't feel like they violated the spirit of the show, and it's still a lot of fun.

Jfrosh
03-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Please post the conclusion for me, if you don't mind. Thanks.

*Spoilers*

I am awful with names but I'll give it a stab. Tax girl finds money missing in evil corp's books and keeps her own set of books at her house for oversight. Evil Ravenwood dude finds out and comes to the farmhouse to take the books. Deaf Sister locks the door as Tax girl tells her to run to the back. Next thing you know Sister is packing a shotgun taking out the Ravenwood dudes except the head Raven who shoots and kills her and injures tax girl.

ehdg
03-08-2008, 05:17 PM
I too have been watching it. I haven't seen last weeks episode but have it on TiVo. Will watch it soon.

alteran
03-08-2008, 07:42 PM
I too have been watching it. I haven't seen last weeks episode but have it on TiVo. Will watch it soon.

Be warned that the last 5 minutes were cut off because of the UNC game IF you're in the ACC regional area. You can catch on the web through CBS if this happened to you.

alteran
03-08-2008, 07:43 PM
*Spoilers*

I am awful with names but I'll give it a stab. Tax girl finds money missing in evil corp's books and keeps her own set of books at her house for oversight. Evil Ravenwood dude finds out and comes to the farmhouse to take the books. Deaf Sister locks the door as Tax girl tells her to run to the back. Next thing you know Sister is packing a shotgun taking out the Ravenwood dudes except the head Raven who shoots and kills her and injures tax girl.

Thanks. This is exactly what I missed. The broadcast cut off as Tax Girl (Mimi) realized who was at the door.

JasonEvans
03-22-2008, 12:44 PM
The Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i16295f10f81874297d9c13c91f04a4a1) says CBS is canceling the show. The producers filmed 2 different endings for the final episode, one that closes everything up and one that leads to a potential third season. They are going with the "wrap it all up" version ;)

Frankly, I am not at all sad. The show really veered off course this season and bore little resemblance to the program that a lot of people fell in love with a year ago. I remain convinced that the producers had no idea what the overall story would be when they started making the show and that is why the story often felt uneven and disjointed. This season, especially, has been frustrating because they are just throwing whatever wild storylines they can at the screen and seeing what sticks. Blech!

Resolving everything in one hour this week will no doubt be messy and won't make much sense. Par for the course for a show that started with a great idea but fell on its face pretty quickly.

As an aside, I know it would not work, but I would love for the networks to start producing series where the storyline is laid out over a 12 or 20 week season and is designed to go no further than that. set up a mystery or a drama and then resolve it and that is that. I think it would be fun but it would be difficult to get viewer loyalty, I suppose.

-Jason "the ratings (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/03/21/entertainment/e162935D19.DTL) just never got good enough to make Jericho a keeper" Evans

OZZIE4DUKE
03-22-2008, 03:14 PM
As an aside, I know it would not work, but I would love for the networks to start producing series where the storyline is laid out over a 12 or 20 week season and is designed to go no further than that. set up a mystery or a drama and then resolve it and that is that. I think it would be fun but it would be difficult to get viewer loyalty, I suppose.

You mean like 24? I think that's worked pretty well for 6 years now. Well, maybe 4 out of 6 anyway.

As far as Jericho, I've enjoyed it this year and am sorry to hear it is being canceled.

Half time is about over, back to the game! Go Duke!

Exiled_Devil
03-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Resolving everything in one hour this week will no doubt be messy and won't make much sense. Par for the course for a show that started with a great idea but fell on its face pretty quickly.

-Jason "the ratings (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/03/21/entertainment/e162935D19.DTL) just never got good enough to make Jericho a keeper" Evans

That was dull. And not worth it - I am a passing Jericho fan, and that was not very satisfying. It also had the suggestion that they would have another episode next week. Lame.

billybreen
03-25-2008, 11:12 PM
I've really enjoyed Jericho, and I didn't think the end was terrible. They left a slim opening for a movie, Serenity style. A post apocalyptic civil war in near future America? I would see that.

DevilAlumna
03-25-2008, 11:32 PM
A post apocalyptic civil war in near future America? I would see that.

Why did Kevin Costner's "The Postman" just flash in my head? And why are his sports movies so good, when his futuristic ones suck? Oh wait, this probably belongs on the Worst Movie thread....

OZZIE4DUKE
03-25-2008, 11:35 PM
That was dull. And not worth it - I am a passing Jericho fan, and that was not very satisfying. It also had the suggestion that they would have another episode next week. Lame.

Didn't they have a promo commercial in the middle of the show saying something about follow the bomb "next week"? I know they didn't show any previews, and next week they have a CSI Miami on Tuesday at 10, but I'd swear they said something about another show.

billybreen
03-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Why did Kevin Costner's "The Postman" just flash in my head? And why are his sports movies so good, when his futuristic ones suck? Oh wait, this probably belongs on the Worst Movie thread....

Good point. I didn't think of the Postman angle -- even with my eschatological fetish, that movie sucked. Still optimistic for a Jericho flick, in the unlikely event that it happens.

DevilAlumna
03-26-2008, 12:11 AM
even with my eschatological fetish,

Man, I admit I had to look that one up...

billybreen
03-26-2008, 12:21 AM

Yeah, I should have just said apocalypse, but I wanted to demonstrate that I've probably read too much on the subject. I just like being reminded that things are pretty nice, compared to some alternatives. :)

snowdenscold
03-26-2008, 04:43 AM

Go get Veronica Mars season 1. Although it does end on a cliff-hanger to lead into season 2 - that is fairly irrelevant to the season long murder mystery they carefully build up over 22 episodes. Pretty much everything and all loose plot threads / clues are wrapped up by the finale.

Exiled_Devil
03-26-2008, 09:37 AM

I though that was an interest in poop. Man was I wrong.

blublood
03-26-2008, 01:39 PM
On the subject (sort of) of good canceled shows, does anyone have any information whatsoever on whether "Ed" is ever going to be released on DVD? It's been, what like 5 years? That show had an intensely loyal fan base and pretty decent ratings.... it seems counter-intuitive not to get at least a season or so out there for public consumption.

I remember reading a teeny-tiny article at one point that the whole thing had been held up with some kind of legal wrangling, which I don't doubt at all.

dpslaw
03-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Hey, I was a religion major, so I didn't even blink at the eschatological reference!

Bluedawg
03-26-2008, 02:01 PM
The Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i16295f10f81874297d9c13c91f04a4a1) says CBS is canceling the show. The producers filmed 2 different endings for the final episode, one that closes everything up and one that leads to a potential third season. They are going with the "wrap it all up" version ;)

Frankly, I am not at all sad. The show really veered off course this season and bore little resemblance to the program that a lot of people fell in love with a year ago. I remain convinced that the producers had no idea what the overall story would be when they started making the show and that is why the story often felt uneven and disjointed. This season, especially, has been frustrating because they are just throwing whatever wild storylines they can at the screen and seeing what sticks. Blech!

I missed it last night. Would that be "Jericho - Season 2:Episode 7:Patriots And Tyrants"? I need to watch the replay on CBS.com

Bluedawg
03-27-2008, 10:43 AM
The show suffered without Gerald McRaney. his character was the calming influence. Skeet Ulrich did a good job but the show reflected his character's "hot head" nature.

Jfrosh
03-27-2008, 11:35 AM
I never read Jason's original post until after the episode so I kept wondering why things were moving so fast moving from Jericho to Cheyenne to Texas. I figured something was up. While I was disappointed that they strayed from the original premise, I did enjoy this season and am disappointed that they cancelled it.

Bluedawg
03-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Interesting comment found on CBS.com (http://www.cbs.com/primetime/jericho/video/video.php?cid=649371290&pid=AzbzNWqo7xhMyM935wXg7JBDOVvy1icU&play=true&cc=3)

What is so interesting to me about all this is that Sci Fi channel has been carrying Stargete SG1 for 10 YEARS with only about 2 to 3 Million viewers on average, even the Stargate Atlantis Premier, which garnered their HIGHEST Ratings EVER, only garnered 4 Million viewers. From what I understand, Jericho regularly gets between 6-13 Million viewers, while shows like America's Next Top Model gets much less. I'm sure that it costs them a lot less to make.

So it can't be ratings!

JasonEvans
03-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Interesting comment found on CBS.com (http://www.cbs.com/primetime/jericho/video/video.php?cid=649371290&pid=AzbzNWqo7xhMyM935wXg7JBDOVvy1icU&play=true&cc=3)
So it can't be ratings!

If CBS charged for commercial spots the same amount that Sci-Fi charged then CBS could afford to keep Jericho around at its current numbers. But, CBS charges probably 10x as much as Sci-Fi (I do not have the figures handy) so CBS must deliver a bigger audience to justify those rates.

Additionally, Sci-Fi probably does not have a wealth of programs under development or in production that could get those kind of ratings. CBS has a bunch of shows that it thinks could do as good or probably better than Jericho.

--Jason "it is all about ratings my friend" Evans

Bluedawg
03-27-2008, 10:50 PM
If CBS charged for commercial spots the same amount that Sci-Fi charged then CBS could afford to keep Jericho around at its current numbers. But, CBS charges probably 10x as much as Sci-Fi (I do not have the figures handy) so CBS must deliver a bigger audience to justify those rates.

Additionally, Sci-Fi probably does not have a wealth of programs under development or in production that could get those kind of ratings. CBS has a bunch of shows that it thinks could do as good or probably better than Jericho.

--Jason "it is all about ratings my friend" Evans

What is considered to be good viewer numbers?

brtnsbs
03-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Jericho started off great in season 1 but got a little off track at time during it. This season was pretty awful compared to last season but that is understandable considering what they had to pack into 8 episodes. I'm sad its over but have heard that it might go to a smaller network for future seasons. I believe IGN.com had some info about Jericho.

DevilAlumna
04-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Go get Veronica Mars season 1. Although it does end on a cliff-hanger to lead into season 2 - that is fairly irrelevant to the season long murder mystery they carefully build up over 22 episodes. Pretty much everything and all loose plot threads / clues are wrapped up by the finale.

Man, Snowdenscold, you're *killing* me with this rec. I just got the 22 episodes last weekend, and I'm already on epi 9. I *love* it!

When was this actually on the air, on what network, and how on earth did I miss it!?

(I do feel a little guilty about liking it -- kind of like still watching 90210 well beyond their/my college years.)

colchar
04-15-2008, 09:17 PM

Why wouldn't it work? The Brits do this all the time and their viewers don't seem to mind. I often find myself wishing that some shows had gone on longer but that usually happens with shows that I have become particularly loyal to.

billybreen
04-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Man, Snowdenscold, you're *killing* me with this rec. I just got the 22 episodes last weekend, and I'm already on epi 9. I *love* it!

When was this actually on the air, on what network, and how on earth did I miss it!?

(I do feel a little guilty about liking it -- kind of like still watching 90210 well beyond their/my college years.)

It was on the CW, in 2005-2006 (I think). My wife picked it up a few episodes into season 1 and was _insanely_ hooked. Super fun show.

jma4life
04-20-2008, 01:23 AM
I watched all of last season and enjoyed it a lot. So far have not seen any episodes. Would you guys recommend catching up and also, what is the status? Are they ending it this season (and if so, did they plan for this, meaning there will be a true ending) or planning on continuing?

snowdenscold
04-20-2008, 03:31 AM

So you finish the season yet? :D

DevilAlumna
04-20-2008, 03:57 AM
So you finish the season yet? :D

Ha, how'd you know!? Mr. DA's out of town, so I stayed up until 2AM last night/this morning to watch the rest of the season (5 episodes back to back.) Last couple of episodes felt like they were rushing to cram a bunch in, but it still stayed true to the rest of the season. I guessed at the right perpetrator on the 3rd-to-last, so it wasn't a total surprise, but that last episode still had me gasping in surprise (and scaring the dog) in a couple of places.

Who was at the door?!?!

I am lining up Season 2 as I type.

snowdenscold
04-20-2008, 04:51 AM
Ha, how'd you know!? Mr. DA's out of town, so I stayed up until 2AM last night/this morning to watch the rest of the season (5 episodes back to back.) Last couple of episodes felt like they were rushing to cram a bunch in, but it still stayed true to the rest of the season. I guessed at the right perpetrator on the 3rd-to-last, so it wasn't a total surprise, but that last episode still had me gasping in surprise (and scaring the dog) in a couple of places.

Who was at the door?!?!

I am lining up Season 2 as I type.
I found the 2nd to last episode as complling/interesting as the finale. It was pretty cool how they seemed to get every single character throughout the season to come back in that one episode.
It's too bad it got labeled another 'teen' show - but the subject matter they deal with is pretty adult. I saw the pilot and was like "woah".

Here's the opening statement from the Television Without Pity recap of "A Trip to the Dentist".

No, seriously, dude. That was some f***-up s***. I'm looking at the "TV-14" advisory, and I'm just wondering if Rob Thomas will let his newborn daughter watch this show when she gets to that age. Or, you know, ever. Okay.

As far as who is at the door - you know I hate spoilers and thus will not give anything away, haha. But I will set your expectations and tell you season 2 is not as good season 1 (not that that should be a real shocker). It still is very good - I just hold season 1 in such high regard.

billybreen
04-20-2008, 10:40 AM
I found the 2nd to last episode as complling/interesting as the finale. It was pretty cool how they seemed to get every single character throughout the season to come back in that one episode.
It's too bad it got labeled another 'teen' show - but the subject matter they deal with is pretty adult. I saw the pilot and was like "woah".

While it was running, it received prominent support from writers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_Mars#Support_from_writers) such as Kevin Smith, Joss Whedon (naturally), and Stephen King. That didn't help it escape the 'teen' show image, unfortunately.

snowdenscold
04-20-2008, 01:45 PM
While it was running, it received prominent support from writers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_Mars#Support_from_writers) such as Kevin Smith, Joss Whedon (naturally), and Stephen King. That didn't help it escape the 'teen' show image, unfortunately.

Oh, yes I am very familiar with all behind the scenes details. It really is too bad - but at least we got 3 seasons out of it - which, based purely on ratings, is probably more than it deserved.