PDA

View Full Version : Shane Chat with Houston Chronicle

Devil07
03-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Shane did a chat on the Houston Chronicle's website yesterday and he answered a number of Duke questions. It's really hard to imagine a more articulate or thoughtful athlete. None of this is news of course, but it's always nice to be reminded of how lucky Duke is to have Shane represent us.

Some highlights:
http://blogs.chron.com/franblinebury/2008/03/read_the_shane_battier_chat_tr.html#more

htowns_finest: What has been the highlight of your career?
Shane_Battier: The highlight of my career was winning the national championship my senior year at Duke. There is no better feeling than being at the top of the mountain. It is a feeling I want to duplicate here in Houston!

Brett: What is your favorite city to play in on the road?
Shane_Battier: New York City. Nothing is like the Garden. Smells like Frank Sinatra and Elephant poop. It's awesome.

NW Indiana Dukie
03-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks Devil07

DukeDevil
03-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Always good to hear from Shane. I feel like his wit and intelligence comes out every time he opens his mouth.

Frank Sinatra and elephant poop. Heh. Priceless.

tux
03-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Crispy Creme!?!

Shane needs to get back to NC more often...

hc5duke
03-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Crispy Creme!?!

Shane needs to get back to NC more often...

KK is overrated. When in Houston, you go with the Kolache factory

Devil07
03-05-2008, 03:18 PM

Completely agree. The lack of kolache's outside of Texas still baffles me. When will the rest of the country learn...

Magnolia888
03-05-2008, 03:58 PM
I really doubt Shane was doing his own typing. Usually, someone else is typing up the answers on those chat things because it would be impossible for the interviewee to keep up with all the Qs.

But I agree that Shane always gives good interview. Smart and funny. I love the one he did with Stuart Scott a while back.

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol4no12battier.html

wisteria
03-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Battier vs Dunleavy tonight~~:)

dukegirlinsc
03-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Shane still is, and more than likely will be, my favorite Duke player of all time. It doesn't seem like he's changed a bit since he graduated. If anything, he may be more articulate than he previously was.

And I've been meaning to ask this, but kept forgetting:

What ever happened to Jeremy after he stopped playing football at Duke? Did he end up graduating?

Dukie4Life
03-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Shane is such a sweet guy! I remember Shane as such a gentleman. He always carried himself with such class! Heidi is a lucky lucky woman!

Shane does need to come back to Durham more often!

That is a good question about Jeremy, I spoke with him on a few occassions, very sweet as well. I hope everything is going great for him!

GTHCGTH!!!

hc5duke
03-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Shane still is, and more than likely will be, my favorite Duke player of all time. It doesn't seem like he's changed a bit since he graduated. If anything, he may be more articulate than he previously was.

you sure you want to say that with your avatar looking right at your post? ;)

dukegirlinsc
03-06-2008, 11:01 PM
you sure you want to say that with your avatar looking right at your post? ;)

Noooo comment. :p

hc5duke
03-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Make that 17 in a row (up by 20 with 2 minutes left (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2008030606)) for Shane's Rockets! Eat it, Cuban!

Lotus000
03-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Do y'all remember the "pounce like a cheetah" comment? Oh man oh man that was classic Battier.

BlueintheFace
03-07-2008, 11:59 AM

No way- SHIPLEYS ALL THE WAY!!!

hc5duke
03-12-2008, 09:36 PM
didnt want to start a new thread but...

20 in a row, baby!

To make this Battier-related again, I give you this gem:
yahoo link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/nba_experts/post/YouTube-gold-Who-wants-to-imitate-Dikembe-Mutom?urn=nba,70990)
youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3MA9m9_FJQ)

p.s. adelman's comment reminds me of a super bowl commercial (i think) with deke a while back, where they dubbed over his voice, because they didn't think anyone would understand him... too bad they didn't tell him this until the commercial aired, and IIRC mutumbo wasn't too happy about that.

dukemsu
03-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Just read the blog. Thanks for the link.

They broke the mold with that one. Duke is lucky to count him as a grad and a hoops icon.

Whenever I see Shane, I am reminded of an interview I saw with Tom Izzo where he was asked which player he lost out on in recruiting that he most wished he'd have had. He immediately responded by saying Battier, and that he remained as big a fan of the kid throughout his career as he was when he recruited him.

Shane is truly an original.

dukegirlinsc
03-12-2008, 11:30 PM
They broke the mold with that one. Duke is lucky to count him as a grad and a hoops icon.

Shane is truly an original.

Amen to that!

blazindw
03-13-2008, 12:28 AM
And I've been meaning to ask this, but kept forgetting:

What ever happened to Jeremy after he stopped playing football at Duke? Did he end up graduating?

That is a good question about Jeremy, I spoke with him on a few occassions, very sweet as well. I hope everything is going great for him!
GTHCGTH!!!

Yes, Jeremy ended up graduating in 2004. Last I checked, he was working for his dad back in Michigan, but that was a while ago the last time I caught up with him.

crote
03-13-2008, 02:24 AM
I just read the chat transcript. Awesome, thanks for posting the link. Double thanks for reminding me of the awesome video of Shane singing karaoke in Houston a while back:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FJXUnabwwOY

What can be mentioned about Shane that hasn't already been said? He embodies all that is good about Duke, nay, humanity. One in a million.

cspan37421
03-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Shane has got to feel great playing on a winning team, and being a big contributor to it. How many good players toil in obscurity and futility? Being part of 20 straight wins and entering the national conversation, it's got to be a breath of fresh air for him.

I'm sorry Yao won't be part of this run - he's a great asset. But as Phoenix has shown, it isn't always easy for a running team to adapt to having a giant in the middle.

moonpie23
03-13-2008, 11:05 AM
shane has always been, and forever will be, the epitome of duke basketball. others may have different records, highlight reel footage, and titles, but shane is what duke BB AND duke university is all about.

I had the good fortune to get my son back in the locker room after a duke game when he was a junior. My son was about 9. shane spent time with him like they were long lost friends. some of the other players were polite, gave autographs and took time to talk, but shane was clearly different.

can't say enough good things about him and i'm totally stoked to see him on a winning team...

best of luck to him

Devil07
03-13-2008, 02:05 PM
The other great thing about this winning streak is that it really is showing a new group of people just how valuable Shane really is. Duke fans have known it for years but now Rockets fans and NBA fans in general are getting a great reminder. Not that Shane was ever unappreciated, but I think the way this Rockets team work really emphasizes the importance of the "little things." And when it comes to that there's no one better than Shane. Its great to see him getting the recognition that he completely deserves. And as a Rockets fan I'm very glad we have him.

And on a side note, that clip of Deke impressions was classic.

moonpie23
03-13-2008, 04:12 PM
now let's just get JJ on a team where he fits in.......namely, on a team with some major superstar where he can be an option left wide open...:cool:

The Gordog
03-13-2008, 05:31 PM
I had the good fortune to get my son back in the locker room after a duke game when he was a junior. My son was about 9. shane spent time with him like they were long lost friends. some of the other players were polite, gave autographs and took time to talk, but shane was clearly different.

Wow, what an experience for your son. How did that happen?

moonpie23
03-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Wow, what an experience for your son. How did that happen?

we had a hookup :) coach K also spent more than a few minutes with him. we were very fortunate.