PDA

View Full Version : Question about college gameday this Saturday

mnk1010
03-05-2008, 10:04 AM
I live in cincinnati and look forward to college gameday broadcasting live from Duke this saturday, but I was wondering does anybody know if Digger and crew will be doing the show from inside Cameron or outside. I know in the past they have done it outside(probably due to lack of space inside Cameron) and IMO it would be nice to see the show inside Cameron. Maybe one of the crazies can shed some light on it and if they are inside Cameron will the student's have anything special planned?

Bluedog
03-05-2008, 10:35 AM
I live in cincinnati and look forward to college gameday broadcasting live from Duke this saturday, but I was wondering does anybody know if Digger and crew will be doing the show from inside Cameron or outside. I know in the past they have done it outside(probably due to lack of space inside Cameron) and IMO it would be nice to see the show inside Cameron. Maybe one of the crazies can shed some light on it and if they are inside Cameron will the student's have anything special planned?

Apparently, it's inside Cameron this year. Doors open at 10:45 AM. See http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7313&highlight=gameday

The search feature is a clever tool ;)

4decadedukie
03-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Does anyone else remember Digger's flagrantly inflammatory, insulting, and entirely untrue comments re Duke -- and ACC basketball in general -- immediately before Notre Dame lost to our Blue Devils in the 1978 Final Four? I have never forgotten or forgiven . . . and I wouldn't allow him on campus, no less in Cameron.
:rolleyes:

SMO
03-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Does anyone else remember Digger's flagrantly inflammatory, insulting, and entirely untrue comments re Duke -- and ACC basketball in general -- immediately before Notre Dame lost to our Blue Devils in the 1978 Final Four? I have never forgotten or forgiven . . . and I wouldn't allow him on campus, no less in Cameron.

I'd let him in then make sure there are plenty of banners in the crowd behind him reading "1978". Add in some nice chants to go along with it and it would be fantastic! At the UCLA Gameday it was hilarious, some kid kept holding a sign saying Digger is a wimp.

Devilsfan
03-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Too bad many crazies will already be on spring break.

gvtucker
03-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Apparently, it's inside Cameron this year. Doors open at 10:45 AM. See http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7313&highlight=gameday

The search feature is a clever tool ;)

Actually, it is both inside AND outside.

They're inside from 11 AM to noon, and then outside in the K-ville courtyard from 8 PM to tip.

77devil
03-05-2008, 01:47 PM
I'd let him in then make sure there are plenty of banners in the crowd behind him reading "1978". Add in some nice chants to go along with it and it would be fantastic! At the UCLA Gameday it was hilarious, some kid kept holding a sign saying Digger is a wimp.

Hey Crazies. How about a sign with Digger's sterling 2-9 win/loss record vs Duke while he coached Notre Dame?

SilkyJ
03-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Hey Crazies. How about a sign with Digger's sterling 2-9 win/loss record vs Duke while he coached Notre Dame?

someone HAS to reference his highlighter thing too.

Olympic Fan
03-05-2008, 02:20 PM

Where is this coming from? Can you provide any links?

I was in St. Louis in 1978 and I never heard or read a critical word about Duke or the ACC from Digger.

At other times ... other places, yes -- Digger was smarta#%s. But my memory is that he was very careful in St. Louis not to provide bulletin board material. The worst thing he said the year before St. Louis. He was quoted by Feinstein in his book "Forever's Team." It seems that Digger continued to recruit Banks after he committed to Duke. Feinstein quotes Digger telling Gene: "Sure Duke is a good school, Gene, but so are we. Chosing their basketball program over ours is like choosing a Volkswagen over a Cadillac."

Of course we all know that Duke's Volkswagen left Digger's Caddy in the dust -- not only in 1978 but for the next decade.

If anybody is planning to get on Digger, fertile subjects might include his political ambitions (he once seriously talked about running for President) and his inability to grasp the simple fact that just 65 teams qualify for the NCAA Tournament -- over the years, Digger invariably has 100-150 teams in the field each season.

MulletMan
03-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Too bad many crazies will already be on spring break.

You really think that diehard undergrads and grad students will be leaving campus to go on spring break instead of sticking around an extra day to see UNC-Duke in Cameron on a Saturday night?

C'mon... who do you think these people are? Carolina fans?

Crazies will be out in force. Count on it.

jacone21
03-05-2008, 02:35 PM
I've always found those CGD broadcasts to be silly. Hundreds of fans pile into the stands 10 hours before game time, in full fan mode, in order to cheer for the back of the heads of some ESPN guys, while the ESPN guys yell over the fans cheering in order to be heard. It's a totally contrived "college" atmosphere. Why are those kids cheering? Cheering at being used as a prop by ESPN? Nice. What would be better is if the Crazies didn't show up, and saved all that energy for the actual game.

rthomas
03-05-2008, 03:06 PM
I can not stand College Game Day with the talking heads having to scream evertything to each other the whole time. If I wanted to listen to someone scream at me for a couple of hours, I'd untie and ungag my wife and let her out of the closet.:D

I never watch the scream heads game day.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-05-2008, 03:15 PM
You really think that diehard undergrads and grad students will be leaving campus to go on spring break instead of sticking around an extra day to see UNC-Duke in Cameron on a Saturday night?

C'mon... who do you think these people are? Carolina fans?

Crazies will be out in force. Count on it.

They've been sleeping in tents for three months just to be there on Saturday. No one that matters will go on spring break Friday night.

jimsumner
03-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Email from Duke discussing Saturday. Hopefully, this will answer your questions.

"DURHAM, N.C. - ESPN College Gameday Presented by State Farm will be on the campus of Duke University this Saturday and will air two live one-hour segments. The initial show will be from 11 a.m.-12 noon from inside Cameron Indoor Stadium with the second show airing from 8-9 p.m. in the Krzyzewskiville courtyard.

ESPN College Gameday is open to the general public with the doors to Cameron Indoor Stadium opening at 9:45 a.m. with Sportscenter producing live cut-ins to Cameron Indoor Stadium from 10-11 a.m.

Public entrance into the event will be from the South Lobby (Ticket Office), while students will use the North Lobby (K-ville). Rece Davis, Digger Phelps, Jay Bilas and Hubert Davis will host the pair of one-hour shows.

Iron Dukes parking will be available in the Whitford Drive Lot, Card Gym Lot, Bassett Drive Lot, and the 751 Lot for Men’s Basketball pass holders wishing to attend this event. You must have you Iron Dukes Men’s Basketball parking pass present to park in your reserved area. Iron Dukes parking will not be available in the Wannamaker Drive Lot or the Chemistry Lot before 5:00 pm that day. If you are a pass holder for either of these two lots and you are planning on attending the ESPN College Gameday Show, you will be allowed to park in either the Bassett Drive Lot or the 751 Lot. However, you must remove your car by 5:30 pm and park in your assigned lot for the game or you will be towed.

General public parking will also be made available in the Bassett Drive Lot and the 751 Lot, but vehicles parking in these two areas must be removed by 5:30p.m. or they will be towed as well."

captmojo
03-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Digger Phelps

590 Green Carnations
0 National Championships

Here's your sign.

4decadedukie
03-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Where is this coming from? Can you provide any links?

I was in St. Louis in 1978 and I never heard or read a critical word about Duke or the ACC from Digger.

At other times ... other places, yes -- Digger was smarta#%s. But my memory is that he was very careful in St. Louis not to provide bulletin board material. The worst thing he said the year before St. Louis. He was quoted by Feinstein in his book "Forever's Team." It seems that Digger continued to recruit Banks after he committed to Duke. Feinstein quotes Digger telling Gene: "Sure Duke is a good school, Gene, but so are we. Chosing their basketball program over ours is like choosing a Volkswagen over a Cadillac."

Of course we all know that Duke's Volkswagen left Digger's Caddy in the dust -- not only in 1978 but for the next decade.

If anybody is planning to get on Digger, fertile subjects might include his political ambitions (he once seriously talked about running for President) and his inability to grasp the simple fact that just 65 teams qualify for the NCAA Tournament -- over the years, Digger invariably has 100-150 teams in the field each season.

Immediately before the 1978 National Semi-final game (Duke versus Notre Dame) and on national television, Phelps said Duke had no claim to be in the Final Four and that the entire ACC was highly overrated. I saw this first-hand while in professional school at Duke (I recall several of us were in the Hideaway). In trying to find an internet reference to substantiate this, I came across his book, which is most complimentary re Duke and Coach Foster. That's textbook "revisionist history." The fact is Phelps (perhaps to motivate his team) was very disrespectful of Blue Devils and the ACC. Not only did he/Notre Dame lose to Duke, but they then went on to lose to Arkansas in the "consolation game" (thus, finishing last in the Final Four).