PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Cameron Crazie chant/sign

dukemomLA
03-05-2008, 05:55 AM
Want to know what Crazie chant or sign or activity causes your glee.

For me, "The Mind is a Terrapin Thing to Waste" ranks most highly.

My challenge is to pick only ONE. (Otherwise my list is endless).

SO PICK ONE!

Let's give the Crazies our love -- and a new goal to set!! GO DEVILS!!

CMS2478
03-05-2008, 08:06 AM
This is the story I always tell people in regards to the Crazies........It was several years ago (can't remember the year) but it was in the Greg Buckner era of Clemson. We were playing Clemson at home and I was at the game and it was my first experience at Cameron. Clemson got the jumpball and passed the ball around for about 15-20 seconds and eventually scored. However, the clock never started. So the refs took a good 5-10 minutes it seemed, to look at the monitor to determine how much time had ticked off. After a about 5 minutes the crowd was getting anxious to resume play and since we were down 2-0 the Crazies started chanting........START IT OVER (clap, clap, clap, clap, clap) START IT OVER...... I remember thinking how clever that was and to be able to come up with something like that on the spot and get the whole place chanting it almost instantly was amazing. I remember the ref looking up from the monitor for a second and smiled at the crowd. It was great!!! :D

CameronBornAndBred
03-05-2008, 08:36 AM
My favorite will always be "Go to hell Carolina, go to hell" during the Carolina game. It's an oldie, but goodie, and it is so fun to join 9000 other people hurling it down on to the court.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-05-2008, 08:41 AM
My favorite will always be "Go to hell Carolina, go to hell" during the Carolina game. It's an oldie, but goodie, and it is so fun to join 9000 other people hurling it down on to the court.

LOUD AND OFTEN!

mehmattski
03-05-2008, 08:49 AM
I don't think it's much of a mystery what my favorite sign is. My tribute to it appears both in my avatar and occasionally on the front page!

EarlJam
03-05-2008, 09:21 AM
After the Terry Sanford letter (or around that timeframe), signs held up behind the backboard as opponents were trying to hit free throws:

Please Miss.

I love sarcasm, and if it were a woman, I would marry it and by it flowers and take it out for sushi often.

-EarlJam

DukeDevil
03-05-2008, 12:35 PM
I wasn't there for it but I heard about a cheer...
"ademola okulaja beats himself" (clap clap) etc.
I've likely butchered the spelling. If so, no apologies to the tarhole. If I didn't, my apologies to Duke for uttering a tarhole name.

wilson
03-05-2008, 01:07 PM
"You suck, Richard" is my favorite Cameron moment of all time.

DukieInKansas
03-05-2008, 01:08 PM
The Fear the Classroom and A Mind is a Terrapin Thing to Waste are great. I wish the cheers were easier to understand on TV - or is it just my hearing.

While attending games, I liked the Green Shorts cheer - mainly because of the looks of confusion on the opposing teams faces when it started. (New Dukies had the confused look also until it was explained to them.)

CMS2478
03-05-2008, 01:15 PM
The Fear the Classroom and A Mind is a Terrapin Thing to Waste are great. I wish the cheers were easier to understand on TV - or is it just my hearing.

While attending games, I liked the Green Shorts cheer - mainly because of the looks of confusion on the opposing teams faces when it started. (New Dukies had the confused look also until it was explained to them.)

I haven't heard about this and have a confused look on my face. Can someone fill me in? :confused:

EarlJam
03-05-2008, 01:22 PM
When former UNC guard Steve Hale punctured his lung, Cameron Crazies greeted him during a later game with the chant:

In-Hale, Ex-Hale!

That was clever, and funny as Hale.

-EarlJam

OldPhiKap
03-05-2008, 02:31 PM
When former UNC guard Steve Hale punctured his lung, Cameron Crazies greeted him during a later game with the chant:

In-Hale, Ex-Hale!

That was clever, and funny as Hale.

-EarlJam

"In-Hale, Ex-Hale" at the '86 season closer was my all-time favorite. IIRC, even he laughed at that.

Second place: "Shaq can't slam" after he made a very pretty lay-up. The look on his face ("you must be @#$@#$ kidding me!") was priceless.

Weks
03-05-2008, 02:36 PM
I wasn't there for it but I heard about a cheer...
"ademola okulaja beats himself" (clap clap) etc.
I've likely butchered the spelling. If so, no apologies to the tarhole. If I didn't, my apologies to Duke for uttering a tarhole name.

Not so much a cheer, but a song - importantly, one which was sung to the tune of "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands"

There was a sign too, more as a lyric sheet to aid participation...

Windsor
03-05-2008, 02:56 PM
I haven't heard about this and have a confused look on my face. Can someone fill me in? :confused:

Green Shorts:

Rattling my memory...it was 78 or 79 and there was a youth basketball game before the men's game. There was a kid who was uh..unathletic of build and lacking in natural talent (I knew whose son he was then but I think I killed those brain cells). He was sporting a pair of bright green shorts. The crowd started to cheer for him, with one said yelling 'green' and the other 'shorts'.

The cheer stuck, and remains one of my all time favorites.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Green Shorts:

Rattling my memory...it was 78 or 79 and there was a youth basketball game before the men's game. There was a kid who was uh..unathletic of build and lacking in natural talent (I knew whose son he was then but I think I killed those brain cells). He was sporting a pair of bright green shorts. The crowd started to cheer for him, with one said yelling 'green' and the other 'shorts'.

The cheer stuck, and remains one of my all time favorites.

Green Shorts' identity will remain a secret, but he is a frequent lurker (and former frequent poster) on the boards. He is still closely associated with the DBR hierarchy.

OldPhiKap
03-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Green Shorts' identity will remain a secret, but he is a frequent lurker (and former frequent poster) on the boards. He is still closely associated with the DBR hierarchy.

If the description of him is later edited, we know it is a mod. ;>)

DukieInKansas
03-05-2008, 05:23 PM
He may not have been the most athletic one out there and his uniform didn't match the rest of the team, but he sure tried harder then anyone on the floor. The kid was all heart. After that, if the Blue Devils needed a push to support their efforts, the green shorts cheer would come out.

I do remember his name but it sounds like it is to be kept a secret so I'm not telling.

Windsor
03-05-2008, 06:01 PM
He may not have been the most athletic one out there and his uniform didn't match the rest of the team, but he sure tried harder then anyone on the floor. The kid was all heart. After that, if the Blue Devils needed a push to support their efforts, the green shorts cheer would come out.

I do remember his name but it sounds like it is to be kept a secret so I'm not telling.

I have since remembered the name, and will now keep it to myself...I should have included that he was playing with all the heart in the world...which is what inspired the crowd to get behind him. Everytime he touched the ball the place went nuts. I remember him having a very puzzled look on his face when the chant started...I know I was thinking that I hoped the kid knew we weren't mocking him.

Windsor
03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
If the description of him is later edited, we know it is a mod. ;>)

If the description was 'athletic and a great ball player' the chant never would have started...and no one would remember green shorts.

dukegirlinsc
03-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Nothing will ever come close to a good 'ol GTCH chant. But I did love the "Sweat, gary sweat!" chants.

ugadevil
03-05-2008, 06:45 PM
My favorite was "Please don't eat me" towards FSU's Nigel Dixon. I also like that they waved hot dogs at him.

ghost
03-05-2008, 06:46 PM
I can't remember the who it was but there was some opposing player that looks eerily like Gollum from Lord of the Rings... the audience chanted "Smeeegle" whenever he touched the ball or had a FT. It was pretty funny.

pamtar
03-05-2008, 09:39 PM
J.R. cant.

ArkieDukie
03-05-2008, 10:24 PM
How about "You both got fired!" at Jimmy V and Brent Musberger during their first game as a broadcast team (Michigan, I think - was it 1990?). They both doubled over, laughing, when the camera stopped rolling. Jimmy V's special chant then started: "If you can't go to college, go to State! If you can't go to state, commentate!"

grad_devil
03-05-2008, 10:26 PM
....and the 'little point guard clap-clap-clapclapclap' chant top my list, I think :)

--grad_devil

hurleyfor3
03-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Off-Topic? This one's in the Handy Pocket Refrerence; how could it be off-topic?

Anyway, limiting it to the cheers I actually got to do myself, I'll go with, "One, Two, Three, Four, Shaq can't play this game no more."

DevilAlumna
03-06-2008, 01:22 AM
"Jel-Lo Pud-Ding" for when Bill Cosby was in CIS for a Temple game.

"Brown was better," against an ACC foe shortly after we played Brown Uni in a November warm-up.

"Who's your daddy? Battier!" Just because, well, Shane was special. (And because it wasn't a "four-syl-la-ble, clap-clap, clap-clap-clap" cheer for one of our players.)

And favorite old cheers coming back --

"King Rice, you suck, you really really suck" (I think I heard it in an '95-'96 season game)

"Marty Doesn't foul" (so many non-fouling Marty's, I love 'em all!)

And worst/best sign -- "Have you driven a Ford lately," referring to UNC as't coach Phil Ford, and unsavory rumors about his spouse.

Lavabe
03-06-2008, 02:14 AM
Sign: "We beg to differ."

Cheer: "If you can't drive a bus, be a Terp." [Done in the closing stages of a CIS victory over the Terps... earlier in the day, their bus driver from the airport had an accident with their bus.]

Cheer: "Please stop fouling [clap,clap,clap-clap-clap], it's a school night [clap,clap,clap-clap-clap].

Cheers,
Lavabe

pamtar
03-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Some dude from a mid-maj was shooting FF's. His first name was Kelly.

"Kellys a girl's name."

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-06-2008, 12:35 PM
One of my favorites is from my undergraduate days.... some considered it a big deal then. As each individual member of the visiting team was introduced, the students would respond with, "Who's he?"

merry
03-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Cheer for Maryland coach Brenda Frese at a women's game:

"We're not blind
You're not blonde"

OldPhiKap
03-06-2008, 02:12 PM
"Lenny Wirtz sucks! Lenny Wirtz sucks!"

As true as the day is long.

mehmattski
03-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Some dude from a mid-maj was shooting FF's. His first name was Kelly.

"Kellys a girl's name."

Kelly Whitney (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/gamelog?playerId=11238), from Seton Hall. The cheer was during foul shots... "Kelly's a girls name" was the during the first, immediately followed by "Whitney's a girl's name" for the second free throw.

He made one of two. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=253200150)

EarlJam
03-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Kelly Whitney (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/gamelog?playerId=11238), from Seton Hall. The cheer was during foul shots... "Kelly's a girls name" was the during the first, immediately followed by "Whitney's a girl's name" for the second free throw.

The halftime score of that game was Duke 40, Seton Hall 13.

I would argue that Seton Hall played like a bunch of little girls that game. Geesh, what a left, right buttocks-whipping that was!

-maJlraE

DukePA
03-06-2008, 07:56 PM
In honor of Mike O'Koren:
U-G-L-Y You ain't got no alibi;
You're ugly, Carolina ugly (clap,clap)

"You shot the sheriff!" to a dread-locked member of the Australian National team. The guy cracked up laughing while shooting free throws.

And finally, during the 70's when we were really struggling:
"That's all right, that's okay, we're going to be your boss one day!"

godukerocks
03-06-2008, 10:10 PM

That was the first and only game I have seen in Cameron, I was in 7th grade; I recieved a 3 second cameo from ESPN.

There was a "31 minutes, 29 points!" chant during that game I believe, which was quite funny. (Coach K told us to stop though ;) )

devildeac
03-06-2008, 10:52 PM
playing Lehigh(?) in their brown unis: UPS, UPS, etc

devildeac
03-06-2008, 10:54 PM
directed at Jimmy V(I think) as he huddled his players on the court during a TO: play on the court, sit on the bench(while pointing to each location)

devildeac
03-06-2008, 10:55 PM
directed at vt during their 1st visit to CIS as they trailed by 35+ points: need 5 touchdowns: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap

Son of Jarhead
03-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Funny "green shorts" related story...

My brother (who used to post here a lot) was on the Mall in DC (with our Dad, a current poster here) & as a joke he yelled out "Green" only to have someone yell back "Shorts" from across the Mall. (It turned out to be another Duke grad) Weird, but true.

My favorite cheer: "We'rrrrre gonnnnnnna get youuuuuuu!"

Another favorite: "We will, we will, beat you!" & the clap-clap-stomp cadence form '78 (borrowed from Queen's "we are the champions/we will rock you"). The cadence was great because the crazies kept it going for a long time at the same steady rate. It grew into today's clap-clap-fist pump that gets faster & faster until it gets too fast to keep up. I would love to see the old '78 version make a comeback.

My favorite sign: "Welcome Honored Guests" & "We Beg To Differ" following Uncle Terry's letter to the students

Bonus: favorite Wally World cheer: The Sonic Boom. Basically, the whole student body (this was back when lots of students went to the games, the student section was on the home side, & we even had a "head cheerleader") would jump up & down, waving their arms wildly, but with out uttering a sound, then they would all sit down... then they would scream their fool heads off. It looked really cool from a couple sections away.

Bostondevil
03-07-2008, 11:52 AM
'Oh no, not Petway!'

Is it my favorite? Not sure, but it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Favorite Cameron gag that I participated in. I was at Duke when Jordan was at UNC. One Carolina game I sat behind the visitors bench. How did I get those seats? I don't know, but you didn't have to tent back then. Oh yeah, it was the first day of spring break and although Cameron was packed, it was Carolina after all, a fairly large segment of the student body had already left campus. Nobody gave us a chance to win that game and well, we didn't. Anyway, someone passed out tongue depressors and during a timeout we yelled in unison, "Hey Michael!" He actually looked up only to see an entire section of students with tongue depressors in their mouths.

CLT Devil
03-07-2008, 12:14 PM
This one is not as PC as most others:
After the alleged affair between Phil Ford's wife and then current player Jeff McGinnis I saw a crazy holding up a sign that read "Hey McGinnis, Have You Driven A Ford Lately?"

Probabley wouldnt fly today....

devildeac
03-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Grad students(?) dressed in judges robes and wigs and yelling and pointing at Cota everytime he was called for a foul or turnover: GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY.

Some folks may have had him and Newman(?) photoshopped on to prisoners in striped or orage garb...

-jk
03-07-2008, 09:41 PM
I think my favorite would be singing American Pie to UCLA's Don MacLean on the free throw line in the (I think) 1990 Sweet Sixteen at the Meadowlands.

Their entire team cracked up laughing. He missed.

-jk

Truth
03-07-2008, 09:49 PM
N'diaye N'Suck

CameronBornAndBred
03-08-2008, 12:21 AM
'Oh no, not Petway!'

Is it my favorite? Not sure, but it hasn't been mentioned yet.
Anyway, someone passed out tongue depressors and during a timeout we yelled in unison, "Hey Michael!" He actually looked up only to see an entire section of students with tongue depressors in their mouths.

LMAOOO. That is waaaay too funny!

CameronBornAndBred
03-08-2008, 12:26 AM
This one is not as PC as most others:
After the alleged affair between Phil Ford's wife and then current player Jeff McGinnis I saw a crazy holding up a sign that read "Hey McGinnis, Have You Driven A Ford Lately?"

Probabley wouldnt fly today....

Oh the crazies were horrible back in the old non-PC days. I was young then, so I don't remember who it was directed at. One State player (I think) was accused of stealing a record player, so the floor was littered with records when he was introduced..but oh so much worse was the guy who had been accused of sexual misconduct (I'll leave it at that, a kid's memory is fuzzy) and the floor was littered with condoms. My mom had a REAL tough time explaining that one to me!

ice-9
03-08-2008, 01:15 AM
My favorite cheer isn't a particularly clever one but every time I chanted it in my days as a Crazie it never failed to send shivers down my spine: "Our house! Our house! Our house!" It was especially sweet after battling it out with a tough opponent in a game that went down to the final minute. The chant in some ways is the ultimate reward for a good win in which we, Duke's 6th Man, helped achieve. It's the reward for having successfully defended our own territory. Goose bumps just thinking about it...

I hope it's a chant I will hear tomorrow!

JBDuke
03-08-2008, 03:30 AM
Many of my favorites have been mentioned, but here's another:

Tom Sheehey, a thug forward for the UVA Cavaliers in the mid-80's, got into a fight with Dan Meagher and Meagher spit in his face. Sheehey was just a freshman, so for the next three years, he was greeted with "Meagher spit in your face!"

oldnavy
03-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Start the tractor! a deviation from the standard start the bus chant, when beating NC State badly at the end of a game.

and

J R Reid's got a big ol butt!, oh yeah! Sung to the tune of that popular hit, Da Butt with the Blue Devil wearing a JR Reid headband and multiple pillows stuffed in his pants while dancing around. One of the funniest things ever!

weezie
03-08-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm hoping we hear that old chestnut, "You're in hell Carolina, you're in hell!" at the and of tonight's game.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Oh the crazies were horrible back in the old non-PC days. I was young then, so I don't remember who it was directed at. One State player (I think) was accused of stealing a record player, so the floor was littered with records when he was introduced..but oh so much worse was the guy who had been accused of sexual misconduct (I'll leave it at that, a kid's memory is fuzzy) and the floor was littered with condoms. My mom had a REAL tough time explaining that one to me!

I believe that player was Maryland's Herman Veal.

NC State players seemed to always be in trouble with the law back then, even when they were winning the National Championship and shortly afterwards. Assault a pizza delivery guy (Tiny Pinder?), empty pizza boxes littered the floor. Break into a pinball machine (Tommy Burleson), and be serenaded with The Who's Pinball Wizard. I don't think marbles were tossed on the floor pregame, but that may have happened too

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-08-2008, 09:25 AM

NC State players seemed to always be in trouble with the law back then, even when they were winning the National Championship and shortly afterwards. Assault a pizza delivery guy (Tiny Pinder?), empty pizza boxes littered the floor. Break into a pinball machine (Tommy Burleson), and be serenaded with The Who's Pinball Wizard. I don't think marbles were tossed on the floor pregame, but that may have happened too
Wasn't there another time some State players were arrested for changing the price tags on some underwear? The Crazies showed up wearing Fruit of the Looms as hats!

Papa John
03-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Oh the crazies were horrible back in the old non-PC days. I was young then, so I don't remember who it was directed at. One State player (I think) was accused of stealing a record player, so the floor was littered with records when he was introduced..

I believe that was Chris Washburn...

One of my favorites was done in very good taste, I thought... Dennis Scott of GaTech turned into a scoring machine his Junior year [I believe] after trimming down about 20 or so pounds... When he came to Cameron, the Crazies showered him with junk food and candy... He got a good chuckle out of it, too...

Bostondevil
03-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Many of my favorites have been mentioned, but here's another:

Tom Sheehey, a thug forward for the UVA Cavaliers in the mid-80's, got into a fight with Dan Meagher and Meagher spit in his face. Sheehey was just a freshman, so for the next three years, he was greeted with "Meagher spit in your face!"

Thanks for the memories on that one, JB!

I remember "Eins, zwei, drei, vier, funf" when Detlef Schrempf fouled out during Washington's visit to Cameron in the '85 season.

DU82
03-08-2008, 10:54 AM
There was one exhibition game with one of those rent-a-teams before the practice was banned, where one of their players fouled out. From the looks of things, he wasn't wearing sox, so the cheer was "five fouls, no sox". When he finally sat down, he took off one of his sneakers and raised his foot in the air to show that he was wearing low cut sox. The cheer then was "five fouls, ONE sock". Needless to say, his teammates broke up laughing (and he did too, a really good sport.)

I also liked when international teams came in (other than Andrew Gaze with Australia, of course.) They didn't know exactly what was going on, but when some were introduced, and the students yelled "Hi <insert name>" they waved back.

BlueBlood112883
03-08-2008, 11:17 AM
. Assault a pizza delivery guy (Tiny Pinder?), empty pizza boxes littered the floor.

I thought that was Lorenzo Charles? Maybe I'm mistaken who knows that's been awhile back lol.

onepresent
03-08-2008, 11:20 AM
A sign from the Duke UNC women's game last year.

"Our Waners are in your face."

Every year I post my all-time favorite sign from many years ago. When UVa had Ricky Stokes and Othell Wilson as their guard tandem.

"Ricky is on the lawn, and Othell mows it."

throatybeard
03-08-2008, 12:47 PM
And finally, during the 70's when we were really struggling:
"That's all right, that's okay, we're going to be your boss one day!"

That's got to be the single lamest thing ever. No wonder everyone hates us.

Good call Merry on "we're not blind; you're not blonde." Frese needs to work on those roots...

The Ford/McInnis incident was at the HEIGHT of the PC days, 1996.

Another mod deleted pacer's post, probably for good reason, but that and another ABC sign at the 1996 UNC game are among my favorites. If you were there you know what I'm talking about.

Devilsfan
03-08-2008, 01:19 PM
It seems like the crazies have been "dumbed-down" lately. This is the common opinion when the subject of their current creativity comes up. It's always remember a few years ago...Maybe it's K's fame and stature not wanting a freak show like danny green trying to dance before a game. But his desire to "keep it classy" has somehow been translated by the students into a lack of creativity. Hope they "man up" and find their A game for tonight, something that has made them the best fans in all of sports. This of course is just one long time fans' perspective.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-08-2008, 01:32 PM
It seems like the crazies have been "dumbed-down" lately. This is the common opinion when the subject of their current creativity comes up. It's always remember a few years ago...Maybe it's K's fame and stature not wanting a freak show like danny green trying to dance before a game. But his desire to "keep it classy" has somehow been translated by the students into a lack of creativity. Hope they "man up" and find their A game for tonight, something that has made them the best fans in all of sports. This of course is just one long time fans' perspective.
It's a great challenge for anyone to continue to raise the bar in performance, especially over a long period of time. Coach K has mentioned this a number of times when discussing the basketball program. I think the same thing holds true regarding the quality and cleverness of cheers. Some of the best were generated in response to Uncle Terry's challenge.

As for classy, the additional phrases the undergraduates have added to the fight songs is adolescent, not clever.

Jumbo
03-08-2008, 01:33 PM
I have a memory from watching the 1990 FF on TV that I'm not actually sure happened. I seem to remember that when Duke was playing Arkansas in the semis, Duke fans started singing "Old McDonald" at someone (maybe Oliver Miller) when he was at the FT line. Did this actually happen? If so, does anyone have details?

dukegirl
03-08-2008, 02:10 PM
No one has mentioned the original "AIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL" chant from 2/24/79 in CIS when Rich Yonakor missed the rim completely in a four-corners slowdown that was 7-0 Duke at halftime.

devildeac
03-08-2008, 02:44 PM

Good reminder, OZZIE. Also in the 70's, a State player or 2 was arrested for shoplifting-the crime was changing the price on a package of underwear. The next game vs ncsu had students holding up 'tighty whiteys' to 'honor' his crime.

The band and/or the Crazies also chanted 'TILT, TILT' each time Burleson handled the ball/shot FT to 'honor' his petty theft.

Summie444
03-08-2008, 03:01 PM
"Man-ual" [Pointing at Jackie Manual] ... "Au-to-ma-tic!" [Pointing at JJ]

DukieInKansas
03-08-2008, 03:08 PM
When the students were trying to convince Bill Foster not to leave, some students got into Cameron overnight and put a banner in the rafters. Just before the game started, the banner unfurled and hung down over the court. The cheerleaders built a pyramid to try to grab it and pull it down prior to air time and tip off.

As I recall, they had done this at a prior game and the sign was long enough for a person to reach from the floor. Another game, they made cones out of construction paper and they fell down over the visitor bench just before game time. I don't remember which team and what they may have said.

devildeac
03-08-2008, 03:40 PM
well, not really a cheer, but I seem to remember the Crazies welcoming ol' Roy to CIS the first time with a 'yellow brick road' in the parking lot and red slippers/shoes by his chair on the carowhina bench prior to tip-off.

DancinDevil
03-08-2008, 04:41 PM
"Lenny Wirtz sucks! Lenny Wirtz sucks!"

As true as the day is long.

I remember it being a song:
"Lenny Wirtz.
Lenny Wirtz.
He's a...
horse's...
assssss."

Special! :)

DukeFencer
03-08-2008, 06:19 PM
"Please stop fouling" during the first half of the Va Tech game in... 2005? When I think they had 22 fouls in the first half. Ouch.

Also: Nik Caner-Medley from Maryland - "Two names NO GAME"

fidel
03-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Speedo guy raised the bar in recent years. Creativity is not done. Lots of goodness still coming from the crazies. This year has been a renaissance!

DukieBoy
03-08-2008, 07:45 PM
i'm a new dukie basically because i only truly remember duke from about 2001 on but my fave moment came this year during the nc state game...the crazies had on the green save the earth shirts during the first half and duke played horrible...during halftime, all the crazies took them off and duke played maybe the best half of basketball all season in the second half...like i said im sure there are better moments but since im fairly young at this, this was my fave

Exiled_Devil
03-08-2008, 08:52 PM
No one has mentioned the original "AIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL" chant from 2/24/79 in CIS when Rich Yonakor missed the rim completely in a four-corners slowdown that was 7-0 Duke at halftime.

What's with the ESPN girl saying that we "claim to have invented Airball" - what kind of hedging is that? Does anyone else have a story for where it came from?

As for my favorite cheer, it was a winter break game against San Diego State, and I got my best friend in for his first Cameron game, front ro in the grad student section. He was amazed at the difference between being there and seeing a game on TV. As he learned the cheers, he asked "how do they start?' I said someone comes out with one, a few key people catch on, and it spreads. He replied, "you know, San Diego's not a state" and started singing to the tune of Yankee Doodle. I think it was great that he has only had one chance to go to Cameron, and he got to start a cheer.

Favorite sign - up and to the left.

Exiled_Devil

PomPomGirl
03-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Another Battier-related sign & event sticks out for me. We were playing either Maryland or Carolina in 99? 00? and one of their fans had a sign referring to Shane as "Raisen Head." Recalling the impromptu "you can't spell" cheer that followed & the guy's mortification still cracks me up.