PDA

View Full Version : This will all be worth it

godukecom
03-15-2007, 09:50 PM
if the ladies go out and win 6 straight.

the men ended dissapointed
the ladies will end champions

cbarry
03-15-2007, 09:57 PM
I respectfully disagree!!! It is not "worth it" for the Duke Men to lose if the Duke Women win it all! Let me start by saying that I am a HUGE Duke basketball fan. I am sorry, but women's basketball and men's basketball are such completely different games (beginning with the mini-ball the women use on the same size rims as men). Women's games are very boring, compared to men's games. I never could get into women's basketball.

That being said, I hope the Duke Women do well, but I really won't get too emotional either way if they win it all or lose 1st round. Maybe they have already played the 1st round-- that is how much I know about Duke Women's Basketball.

Now let us mourn the loss of the 06-07 Duke Men's team, and look ahead to brighter days...
-cbarry

OZZIE4DUKE
03-15-2007, 10:07 PM
not worth quoting

Yes, absolutely. A lot of people care. I do. Merry does. Rob does. And countless more.

_Gary
03-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Yes, absolutely. A lot of people care. I do. Merry does. Rob does. And countless more.

Uh, count me in on that list too, Ozzie. I've been rooting for the women for a long time and I care a great, great deal about them winning. Fact is, I've never been sicker after any Duke Basketball loss in the tournament (whether Men's Team or Women's Team) than last year's meltdown against Maryland. That disgusted me to the point where I couldn't do much of anything for about a week.

Gary

cbarry
03-15-2007, 10:11 PM
does anyone really care about the womens team, espically if the men dont do well?
Completely agree. I smell a poll coming out soon, like "On a scale of 1-10, how much do you care how the Men's team does?" (10/10) and the same question for the Women's team (2/10). I would venture a guess you would see radically different results. (Can you do 2 polls in 1 thread?)
-cbarry

mapei
03-15-2007, 10:13 PM
I care. Maybe not as much as I care about the men's team, but much, much more than you do.

dukepsy1963
03-15-2007, 10:14 PM
play their hearts out... I will be screaming my head off for our gals.... If you are a Dukie, you should be too!

I dare say that most of the women athletes could run circles most of us tired and out of shape guys who sit here moving our fingers....!!!

Go Duke Women!!!!

godukecom
03-15-2007, 10:14 PM
(obviously) i care
kewlswim is another carer

BlueDevilBaby
03-15-2007, 10:42 PM
I love the women but I've never broken my hand over a women's loss. I don't even want to go to work tomorrow.:mad:

cbarry
03-15-2007, 10:44 PM
I love the women but I've never broken my hand over a women's loss. I don't even want to go to work tomorrow.:mad:I hear ya. I work with a bunch of Tar Heels. (And live with 1 1/2 of them!-- wife is a Tar Heel, but a very good sport, and 2-yr old girl is a Tar-Devil)

devildownunder
03-15-2007, 10:51 PM
I care about the women, too. Maybe this is finally Coach G's year.

DukeCO2009
03-15-2007, 10:53 PM
I want the Duke women to do well because of my affiliation with the university, but other than that, I can't claim to be a huge women's basketball fan. It's not at all sexist to say it's a different game. There's nothing wrong with it being different, but it would be pretty tough to deny that it is. It's always (Candace Parker, Lisa Leslie, et al aside) played below the rim, usually lacks the relative parity of the men's game, and doesn't feautre the same caliber of play in terms of the "WOW!" factor (*waiting for feminists to pounce on me*). On top of that, you've got the smaller ball and a few different rules--things like the shorter shot clock and absence of a 10-second rule make strategy quite different. I'm not knocking women's basketball--just saying that, well, it ain't the same thing as the men's game. I'll be cheering hard for the girls to keep winning and would be thrilled if they cut down the nets, but I can't honestly say that it would erase the sub-par season the men had; the only thing that will do that for me is a good tourney run next year.

As I said, though: Go Coach G!

cbarry
03-15-2007, 10:55 PM
I want the Duke women to do well because of my affiliation with the university, but other than that, I can't claim to be a huge women's basketball fan. It's not at all sexist to say it's a different game. There's nothing wrong with it being different, but it would be pretty tough to deny that it is. It's always (Candace Parker, Lisa Leslie, et al aside) played below the rim, usually lacks the relative parity of the men's game, and doesn't feautre the same caliber of play in terms of the "WOW!" factor (*waiting for feminists to pounce on me*). On top of that, you've got the smaller ball and a few different rules--things like the shorter shot clock and absence of a 10-second rule make strategy quite different. I'm not knocking women's basketball--just saying that, well, it ain't the same thing as the men's game. I'll be cheering hard for the girls to keep winning and would be thrilled if they cut down the nets, but I can't honestly say that it would erase the sub-par season the men had; the only thing that will do that for me is a good tourney run next year.

As I said, though: Go Coach G!
Thank you for so eloquently stating my exact thoughts. Agree fully.
-cbarry

Son of Jarhead
03-15-2007, 11:03 PM
The way I look at it, for me at least, I want Duke to win every game, in every sport. Now I may be more likely to watch a men's b'ball game, a fact helped by almost every game being on TV, but I pull for Duke in everything. If it says Duke on the Jersey, I'm a fan. I even keep tabs on alumni playing pro soccer, pro golf, pro football, whatever...

Go Duke!!!!