PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech @ Kansas

mr. synellinden
03-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Kansas just blasted Texas Tech by 58 (that's right) points. And their (Kansas's) leading scorer had 15 points.

Yowza!

hondoheel
03-03-2008, 11:42 PM
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g189/aroyal/bowie_big1.jpg

RelativeWays
03-03-2008, 11:46 PM
I dont see it but on a talent level, I'd rather have one of our players resemble David Bowie than Marshall Mathers

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/42/Eminem_warrior.jpg/220px-Eminem_warrior.jpg

hondoheel
03-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Um, Danny Green?

RelativeWays
03-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Its the same 1000 yard stare my friend, the same 1000 yard stare.

EarlJam
03-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Lord all MIGHTY!

How many times must we underscore this????????????

Clearly, with Singler, the Separated at Birth is Bon Jovi....

NO?

-EarlJam

rsvman
03-04-2008, 09:41 AM
I almost hate to get this thread back on topic, but I'm just curious: Does anybody think that Texas Tech would have lost this game by THAT many points if BOB Knight had been on the sidelines instead of PAT?

I also heard some ridiculous stories from the announcers about crap that Pat was making his team do; almost like hazing them. I missed the beginning of the discussion, so I'm not sure WHY he did what he did, but apparently practices were nothing but endurance contests, with the players running tires, pushing tackling sleds, and then diving for loose balls? (Football meets basketball?) They also said that the players weren't allowed to play basketball AT ALL; i.e., no passing, dribbling, or shooting.

I guess Pat missed the memo that motor skills are learned. Maybe a 58-point loss will drive the point home.

crimsonandblue
03-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Pat Knight made them do all those things in response to their 44 point loss at Texas A&M. They then took that resultant lack of motor skills out and beat Texas at home. They then had one day of walk-throughs on Sunday before having to travel to Kansas for the game last night.

I don't think Texas Tech played well or especially hard, but they had to have been emotionally and physically tired from the back and forth and from the big win over Texas. It was also the last home game for 5 Kansas seniors and possibly three other underclassmen (Rush, Arthur and maybe even Chalmers, who will "test the waters"). So, there was a little emotion in the building. That's something like 25 or 26 straight senior day wins in a row for KU.

Texas Tech is a strange team. Brutal on the road. Very tough at home.

yancem
03-04-2008, 09:56 AM
I thought that it was ridiculous that Kansas was running their normal offense, jacking up threes and pressing defensively with 2-4 minutes to play and up 50+ points. I know it was senior night and you want to get all of the walk ons to get a chance to score but at some point you have to call off the dogs. I thought it showed a lack of class.

roywhite
03-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Kansas at times, like last night, looks unbeatable. Or certainly the best looking team I've seen this year. But they've lost a few and had some close calls. Winning six games in the tournament is a tall task.

I've have to put Kansas as perhaps the overall favorite going into the tournament.

crimsonandblue
03-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Kansas at times, like last night, looks unbeatable. Or certainly the best looking team I've seen this year. But they've lost a few and had some close calls. Winning six games in the tournament is a tall task.

I've have to put Kansas as perhaps the overall favorite going into the tournament.

To yancem, Self did apologize to Pat Knight after the game for the score. I will note that no player played more than 21 minutes and Brandon Rush played only 10, but things clearly did get out of hand. That said, I think it was more oversight and emotion than any lack of class.

On Kansas being the favorite, note that KU hasn't exactly trashed good competition. This is a team that feasts on teams with poor guards, but has struggled some on the road against top guards (USC, Texas, and OSU). Sherron Collins getting healthy, certainly changes the complexion of the team though. He had a broken foot and then a badly bruised knee and is really healthy, if not in great shape, for the first time this year.

We'll see how well KU does on the road at A&M on Saturday and then in the BigXII tourney before claiming they've turned the corner on their flat play on the road against KState, Texas and OkState.

Last night was fun, but not really indicative of anything meaningful for the end of season ahead, other than Collins looking good and guys getting confidence.

johnb
03-04-2008, 02:39 PM
I used to be more sensitive about blow outs, but I've come around to the idea that it is the responsibility of the losing team to keep it close, not the winning team. These guys aren't 9 year olds. One caveat: I came to this conclusion during the '99 season when we were winning many of our games by 40, and our starters played much of the game.

yancem
03-04-2008, 03:07 PM
I used to be more sensitive about blow outs, but I've come around to the idea that it is the responsibility of the losing team to keep it close, not the winning team. These guys aren't 9 year olds. One caveat: I came to this conclusion during the '99 season when we were winning many of our games by 40, and our starters played much of the game.

I have no problem with blowing a team out. My problem was with a couple of minutes left and with a 50+ point lead, Kansas was still attacking, shooting 3's and not using the shot clock at all. To me there is a difference between beating a team soundly and completely rubbing it in. This game seemed to be the latter to me.

Troublemaker
03-04-2008, 03:19 PM
I have no problem with blowing a team out. My problem was with a couple of minutes left and with a 50+ point lead, Kansas was still attacking, shooting 3's and not using the shot clock at all. To me there is a difference between beating a team soundly and completely rubbing it in. This game seemed to be the latter to me.

You're splitting hairs unnecessarily, imo. KU was giving their walk-ons some run and letting them play, it being Senior Night and all; I don't see anything classless about it. And even if it WEREN'T Senior Night, and even if it WEREN'T beloved walk-ons playing, I would STILL see nothing classless about continuing to play ball. I agree with the notion that it's up to the opponent to stop them from scoring. To me, it's MORE demeaning to "let up" on the opponent than to continue to play. (But I don't regard either choice as classless, as I don't think class has anything to do with it.)

houstondukie
03-04-2008, 03:52 PM
If the other team's walk-ons are "running up the score" on you, then I think you deserve all the embarrasment you get.

Classof06
03-04-2008, 08:47 PM

Definitely. Based on all the teams I've seen, Kansas has stood out to me all year. I think Kansas is the most talented team in America. Time will tell if they're the best.

yancem
03-04-2008, 10:54 PM
You're splitting hairs unnecessarily, imo. KU was giving their walk-ons some run and letting them play, it being Senior Night and all; I don't see anything classless about it. And even if it WEREN'T Senior Night, and even if it WEREN'T beloved walk-ons playing, I would STILL see nothing classless about continuing to play ball. I agree with the notion that it's up to the opponent to stop them from scoring. To me, it's MORE demeaning to "let up" on the opponent than to continue to play. (But I don't regard either choice as classless, as I don't think class has anything to do with it.)

I'm not saying that they should stop playing, just that maybe they could not press or launch 3's with 30 seconds left on the shot clock. There is a difference between continuing to compete and trying to push every advantage possible when the game is all but over. Also, let's try to keep in mind that this is not a case of New England running up the score against the Redskins. These are amateurs who have to go back to school the next day not millionaire athletes going home to their supermodel girlfriends. I just think that it would have been more appropriate if the Jayhawks had tried to run some more clock and maybe not started the defense until Texas Tech was across half court and had initiated their offense.

Just one man's opinion.

Ders24
03-04-2008, 11:36 PM

This is what I thought of Kansas for a while ... unfortunately Bill Self has shown a knack for chocking consistently. I can't really figure it out, but it ruins my bracket just about every time. Too bad he and Weber can't join forces. They'd be a good team (as we saw in 2005).