PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs UVA Pre-Game & In-Game Thread

TwoDukeTattoos
03-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Before I completely commit my mind to UNC this weekend, I am more focused on UVA. I have a feeling we could be facing another NCSU-type of situation. I don't really care that we beat them by 22 in January. We are going to their home court where they recently took UNC down to the wire. Anytime you have Singletary in the backcourt you are capable of winning games. Bottom feeder or not, UVA could prove to be another tough test for us.

dukechem
03-03-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm hoping that UVA will be tired after their trip to Georgia Tech tonight. I have tickets to the game; will anyone else be there, and will there be any gathering of Duke fans before the game?

4decadedukie
03-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Semi-off topic: I suggest you do not park in either of the new "parking structures" proximate to J P Jones. I attended the UVa/Duke game last season (no comment re our play or the results) and the police allow all the season ticket holders to depart before any of the single-game parkers. This resulted in 30+ minute delay even to back out of our space.

whereinthehellami
03-03-2008, 01:30 PM
It is huge that the make-up game is tonight. A big positive for Duke. GT plays a physical game and should be hounding Singletary all game. An up tempo game by Duke on Wednesday should prove to be too much for Singletary at this point in the year (tired legs).

Skitzle
03-03-2008, 01:35 PM
We need a solid, well played game and win. We need to win by 10+ and have control over the whole game.

Suffice it to say Duke has looked astonishingly average in the last 5 games, and to some extent it is arguable that we had no business winning against NC State.

I'll take it, as a win is a win, but we need to step up big time Wed if we want to have a chance on 3/8, and make a deep run in the ACCs and NCAAs

Ignatius07
03-03-2008, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't say we need a big win to have success in March, but it would certainly help the team's confidence. A real solid effort (win or lose, esp against UNC) the next two games would go a long way in disproving the theory that Duke has already peaked, which I personally believe to be true. Still, hard to think the team won't be up for all the rest of the games from here on out.

TwoDukeTattoos
03-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't say we need a big win to have success in March, but it would certainly help the team's confidence. A real solid effort (win or lose, esp against UNC) the next two games would go a long way in disproving the theory that Duke has already peaked, which I personally believe to be true. Still, hard to think the team won't be up for all the rest of the games from here on out.

Exactly. Continued momentum is what we need. I don't even know that we played all that poorly against State - State just couldn't miss and we couldn't hit! I would love to see a 25-point drubbing of UVA.

bird
03-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Semi-off topic: I suggest you do not park in either of the new "parking structures" proximate to J P Jones. I attended the UVa/Duke game last season (no comment re our play or the results) and the police allow all the season ticket holders to depart before any of the single-game parkers. This resulted in 30+ minute delay even to back out of our space.

I went to five or so games at JPJ last year, including the Duke game, and was quite satisfied parking in the overflow lot and using the shuttle bus - so long as you bust out as soon as the game is over and grab the first bus to leave.

Saratoga2
03-03-2008, 03:47 PM
We need a solid, well played game and win. We need to win by 10+ and have control over the whole game.

Suffice it to say Duke has looked astonishingly average in the last 5 games, and to some extent it is arguable that we had no business winning against NC State.

I'll take it, as a win is a win, but we need to step up big time Wed if we want to have a chance on 3/8, and make a deep run in the ACCs and NCAAs

Even strong well coached teams have trouble winning on the road this time of year. I'll be satisfied with a win and don't think it needs to be by more than 10 points.

Matches
03-03-2008, 04:01 PM
This will be Senior Night for Singletary, yes? If so, expect an emotional performance from him, and a more-active-than-usual crowd. Still, even if Singletary is lights-out, UVa cannot match up with a Duke team at or near the top of its game. Hopefully the team will re-commit to defense after a poor showing against NCSU and build off the positive momentum of that game's finish.

Duvall
03-03-2008, 04:14 PM
This will be Senior Night for Singletary, yes?

Virginia hosts Maryland on Sunday night.

MarkD83
03-03-2008, 04:14 PM
My son and I are going to the game and sitting in the upper deck, where all of the visiting fans sit. (It was fun watching the UNC game to see how nervous the UNC fans were.)

We usually park in Barracks Road shopping center. There is a McDonalds at the end of the parking lot near JPJ. All you need to do is cross Arlington Blvd and take the next right on Copeley Drive. Walk about 1/4 mile up Copelely and the JPJ parking lot is on your left. Walk through the parking lot and you can get to a door that lets you into JPJ at the lower level. When you leave you can head out of the far end of the shopping center and get on 250 or 29 very easily.

dukestheheat
03-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Exactly. Continued momentum is what we need. I don't even know that we played all that poorly against State - State just couldn't miss and we couldn't hit! I would love to see a 25-point drubbing of UVA.

and when we had to, we did, and we did all the other things we had to do to win that game. I personally wouldn't hang too much emotion or too much dissection regarding Duke on that State game because again, State just couldn't miss much in that first half and while they 'got every shot they wanted', as one of their players said afterwards, usually they don't shoot close to the 54% or so that they did in that one game.

I actually think we're looking pretty good going into UVA and the next battle with the HATED holes from Chapel Hell.

I wonder if that's a faint glow of a pre-emptive FIRE I see coming from that part of the state of North Carolina...............?...........

dukestheheat lest you forget it.

dukegirlinsc
03-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Duke just needs to keep their flow and their rhythm going. Make the easy shots that we've been missing, make some free throws, try and stay out of foul trouble, and work on the defense a little. If those things improve even in the slightest, I say Duke should handle UVA quite easily. (Believe it or not, I have been wrong in the past. :eek: )

RelativeWays
03-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Right now I only care about the UVA game. You know Singletary is going to do his best to light us up. A loss to UVA will do far more damage to our potential seeding than a loss to the holes

Skitzle
03-03-2008, 07:01 PM
I'll agree they shot well, but it looked to me as more a result of great offense/our bad defense. They were making open shots and dunks down low. They penetrated at will and dished when the double came. They did a great job cleaning up the boards and getting second chance points.

Duke on the other hand took a lot of ill-advised shots, shots contested with people in their face. Perhaps I need to watch the game, but I just felt that we never were in an offensive rhythm.

On a positive note, we shot incredibly well from the free-throw line, but I think this game is the exception not the rule, this many games into the season, you don't suddenly become an 85% shooting team from the line.

On last thought: is it just me, or does it seem like our down swing in the last 5 games coincide with K's desire to play a more tradional team. Perhaps Jumbo can confirm through his charts, but we seem to be playing Thomas/BZ down low a lot more minutes per game. As a result, we're not spreading the court as well, and having a more difficult time penetrating and kicking out to the three.

I'm done. GO DUKE!

CameronBornAndBred
03-03-2008, 11:42 PM
This is the guys' last chance to show off before Carolina, and I think it's a good team to do it against in a great environment. I was at the 1st game in Cameron, and Singletary was amazing to watch. I was thinking to myself "This guy is going to have fun at home". Well, it's his turn now. Hopefully our boys have learned from their recent away games to know that the target is on their back, and they aren't invincible. I want to soooo badly see a blowout, I think that will set a great tone for Saturday, but I won't be shocked by a close game either. Best of luck, GO DUKE!!!

gofurman
03-04-2008, 08:40 AM
DIdn't realize UVA had to play last night... A little tired legs maybe

*Is Singletary hurt? Someone said he was but I didn't watch?

TwoDukeTattoos
03-04-2008, 08:53 AM
UVA beat GT on the road with a buzzer-beating 3, so they definitely have some momentum going into the game with Duke. But they only shot .379. Hopefully they'll have tired legs and Duke can wear them out.

twisterduke81
03-04-2008, 09:30 AM
My son and I are going to the game and sitting in the upper deck, where all of the visiting fans sit. (It was fun watching the UNC game to see how nervous the UNC fans were.)

We usually park in Barracks Road shopping center. There is a McDonalds at the end of the parking lot near JPJ. All you need to do is cross Arlington Blvd and take the next right on Copeley Drive. Walk about 1/4 mile up Copelely and the JPJ parking lot is on your left. Walk through the parking lot and you can get to a door that lets you into JPJ at the lower level. When you leave you can head out of the far end of the shopping center and get on 250 or 29 very easily.

My daughters and I will be up there with you! Everyone has a new Duke T and have been practicing their cheers.

Indoor66
03-04-2008, 09:30 AM
DIdn't realize UVA had to play last night... A little tired legs maybe

*Is Singletary hurt? Someone said he was but I didn't watch?

It appeared to me that he had the flu. He had little energy and was sucking wind constantly. That said, his late drive in the lane was unbelievable.

SMO
03-04-2008, 10:16 AM

I'll be satisfied with nothing short of the following:

1. A 30+ point win
2. Less than 8 Duke turnovers
3. At least 50% of our points in the paint
4. 15+ minutes from Taylor King regardless of how he plays
5. 10+ minutes from Zoubek (please note, Brian must "look like a basketball player" during these minutes for them to count)
6. A double double from Kyle Singler
7. Zero turnovers from Gregg Paulus
8. At least 3 nice mid-range jumpers from Henderson
9. Fewer than 15 points from Singletary
10. No inappropriate cheers from the UVA fans
11. 18+ minutes from Nolan Smith
12. 2+ points from David McClure
13. 100% FT shooting from Demarcus Nelson
14. No less than 8pts and 5 boards from Lance Thomas
15. 2 nice drives and at least 2 threes from Jon Scheyer, along with at least 50% shooting from the floor.
16. Someone exhibiting substantial "toughness" (e.g. stitches, taking a hard foul, sticking up for teammates)
17. At least a little zone to mix them up!
18. No stall-ball!

And a "nice to have" would be Marty dressing for the game.

Have I covered everyone's desires? Oh yeah, please give us some commentators that don't annoy us. Just give us that and our team should be able to take care of the rest on their own.:p

Methodistman
03-04-2008, 11:37 AM
I just hope we're ready for a battle, because I seriously think one will be waiting for us. Their win last night was a dramatic one, and the kind that emotionally propells a team into the next game. Their turn-around from Monday to Wednesday is no different that what any team has to go through in the tourney - I think they will be charged and ready.

In reading the articles about the Va/GT game, there was a brief reference to Singletary being "slowed at times by a right knee injury." Sorry - this guy has played through so much pain, I expect nothing but his best Wednesday night.

Reading the article listed in the ACC Roundup section on the front page about Lars Mikalauskas was interesting. I get the feeling he's going to try to establish his physical play early - I'd look for a hard foul from him on whoever drives the paint early in the game to set the tone. In fact, I'd be amazed if he doesn't simply hammer one of our guys.

Take care of business in VA, come home and rest up. I personally would love to see a ton of mid-range jumpers in this game from Nelson, Henderson, Singler, and Scheyer - we know we can hit the 3 (usually), we know we can drive (or at least attempt to), but if we can polish up that mid-range game going into the weeks to come, I think our offense would be a true thing of beauty!

Dukiedevil
03-04-2008, 11:45 AM
There were still tickets available for the game this past weekend. I heard the stadium is very nice and it might be fun to fill it with blue!

dukelifer
03-04-2008, 11:49 AM
This will be a fight. Virginia is feeling good about themselves right now and Singletary, sick or not, is rapid approaching the end of his college career and will want to play as well as he can. UVa would love nothing more than to ruin Duke's chances for a title. They almost pulled off the upset against UNC not too long ago. I am not sure they can run away with this game- so it will be close like most of their games this season. Duke's main advantage is that if UVa plays very hard in the first half- they will feel it at the end of the game given the quick turnaround. Duke will need to limit mistakes in the first half and take it to them in the second half and try to build a lead. But with Singletary at home, he can dominate in the closing moments- so the lead will need to be substantial. I think Duke will be ready- but it is tough to play against a team with nothing to lose- particularly one that has already seen Duke once. This will be the most telling game of the year in my opinion.

BlueBlood112883
03-04-2008, 11:51 AM
We know Sean will show up, but we just have to contain him enough, and make sure he doesn't let Baker or Jeff Jones go crazy from the outside. The inside guys don't scare me as much, because most of the year they haven't had a dominating post guy, but I like their youngins in Baker, and Jones. I think we take UVA's best shot for about the first 10-15 mins, and slowly but surely pull away late in the second half.

Duke 78
UVA 66

BlueDevilBaby
03-04-2008, 11:53 AM
He tweaked his knee in the prior game. Looked like he banged knees with someone, but it was not clear from the replay what exactly happened. May have slowed him up a bit, but I'm sure he will be a full speed for Duke. Boys better come out ready to go. Hopin' for a thumpin'!

tbyers11
03-04-2008, 11:58 AM
I just hope we're ready for a battle, because I seriously think one will be waiting for us. Their win last night was a dramatic one, and the kind that emotionally propells a team into the next game. Their turn-around from Monday to Wednesday is no different that what any team has to go through in the tourney - I think they will be charged and ready.

I agree that we can't take any road game in the ACC for granted but would like to point out one major difference between UVa's turnaround and and an NCAA tourney situation: TRAVEL.

Even if they had a charter flight from Atlanta to Charlottesville, the players probably weren't back in their beds until 2 or 3 in the morning. That makes the quick turnaround much more taxing.

DukeDevilDeb
03-04-2008, 12:14 PM

Can you tell us why you think Duke has already peaked?

bird
03-04-2008, 12:17 PM
I
Reading the article listed in the ACC Roundup section on the front page about Lars Mikalauskas was interesting. I get the feeling he's going to try to establish his physical play early - I'd look for a hard foul from him on whoever drives the paint early in the game to set the tone. In fact, I'd be amazed if he doesn't simply hammer one of our guys.

No doubt, UVA has been playing better since the return of Mikalauskas.

One thing I don't see mentioned here: Duke's motivation. The players from last year's team have to remember the game in C'ville last year. Those memories should be a source of some serious inspiration. My prediction: Singletary will be hounded tomorrow like he has never been hounded before.

1Devil
03-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Can you tell us why you think Duke has already peaked?

Well there's no doubt we had a peak around the time of the unc-ch game and the 2nd Maryland game. There's been a dropoff since then. But there's no rule saying we can't have another peak...maybe around late March/early April.

Neals384
03-04-2008, 02:23 PM
I'll be satisfied with nothing short of the following:

1. A 30+ point win
2. Less than 8 Duke turnovers
3. At least 50% of our points in the paint
4. 15+ minutes from Taylor King regardless of how he plays
5. 10+ minutes from Zoubek (please note, Brian must "look like a basketball player" during these minutes for them to count)
6. A double double from Kyle Singler
7. Zero turnovers from Gregg Paulus
8. At least 3 nice mid-range jumpers from Henderson
9. Fewer than 15 points from Singletary
10. No inappropriate cheers from the UVA fans
11. 18+ minutes from Nolan Smith
12. 2+ points from David McClure
13. 100% FT shooting from Demarcus Nelson
14. No less than 8pts and 5 boards from Lance Thomas
15. 2 nice drives and at least 2 threes from Jon Scheyer, along with at least 50% shooting from the floor.
16. Someone exhibiting substantial "toughness" (e.g. stitches, taking a hard foul, sticking up for teammates)
17. At least a little zone to mix them up!
18. No stall-ball!

And a "nice to have" would be Marty dressing for the game.

Have I covered everyone's desires? Oh yeah, please give us some commentators that don't annoy us. Just give us that and our team should be able to take care of the rest on their own.:p

19. Refs who understand that Kyle Singler is NEVER guilty of blocking. It's always a charge!

BlueintheFace
03-04-2008, 03:39 PM
20. Gerald Henderson throws down a huge dunk then tears off his brace and throws it to the bench having decided that he is fully recovered.

ugadevil
03-04-2008, 03:55 PM
19. Refs who understand that Kyle Singler is NEVER guilty of blocking. It's always a charge!

21. Patrick Patterson;)

I think an important part to this game is turnovers (This could probably be said about any game in any possession sport). In our defeats this year, we've struggled mightily with turning the ball over and it's tough to win any game when you do that. However, against N.C. State, we didn't turn the ball over that much and we were able to stay within striking distance and eventually pull out the win. If we are able to limit the turnovers on offense and generate turnovers on defense, I think it should be a comfortable victory.

weezie
03-04-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm going, too. Might have tickets behind our bench! Can't wait to find out. I'll be the tallish blonde ;)

soccerstud2210
03-04-2008, 11:46 PM
bottom line is we just need to shoot better... little bit of a shooting slump from our boys in blue...devil blue that is... we need to run... not slow things up like we did against state... could use a good game to prepare us for UNC coming up sat. need to have some good momentum going into that game

Bob Green
03-05-2008, 03:55 AM
Virginia has better size than in the first game due to the return of injured players. However, the exact same situation exists for Duke. Brian Zoubek did not play in the first meeting and Lance Thomas was limited to 14 minutes as it was his first game back after his respiratory ailment.

Virginia struggles defensively. They rank 11 of 12 in the ACC for both FG Percent Defense and 3 PT FG Percent Defense. The key to the game will be knocking down open shots. We made 11 3-point shots in the first game and will need to attack from the perimeter in this game to be successful. Once the outside shots start to fall, the lane will open up for Henderson, Nelson, Scheyer, and Smith to drive and attack the rim.

In our penultimate regular season game, I would really like to see our guys knock down the long ball especially Paulus and Taylor King. Solid minutes from Zoubek down low and Nolan Smith playing with confidence are other desires, but in the end all I care about is a win.

dukemomLA
03-05-2008, 06:04 AM
UVA's Sean S is an extraordinary player and should be acknowledged as such. Personally I hope he is at 100% for this game.

And yes I hope we shoot well -- better than our last few games. We'll need that for the ACC Tourn -- and beyond.

That being said, I'll be somewhat disappointed if we don't win this game by at least 15+ points. And I think this game should be an easy romp. Teamwork, good FTs, Multiple guys in double figures (as usual), and a show of grit and determination with UNC on the horizon.

Biscuit King
03-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Diane and Joseph are really the keys for UVa. When neither one of them plays well, UVa loses, no matter how many points Singletary throws in. If Duke can close out those two guys on the wings (Joseph's strength is really hitting threes from the corner... which opens up his midrange game), and keep from fouling Scott and Mikalauskus inside, UVa will really struggle to score. This game should be all about defense for Duke. Hold UVa under 75, and it's going to be a comfortable win.

Saratoga2
03-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Virginia has better size than in the first game due to the return of injured players. However, the exact same situation exists for Duke. Brian Zoubek did not play in the first meeting and Lance Thomas was limited to 14 minutes as it was his first game back after his respiratory ailment.

Virginia struggles defensively. They rank 11 of 12 in the ACC for both FG Percent Defense and 3 PT FG Percent Defense. The key to the game will be knocking down open shots. We made 11 3-point shots in the first game and will need to attack from the perimeter in this game to be successful. Once the outside shots start to fall, the lane will open up for Henderson, Nelson, Scheyer, and Smith to drive and attack the rim.

In our penultimate regular season game, I would really like to see our guys knock down the long ball especially Paulus and Taylor King. Solid minutes from Zoubek down low and Nolan Smith playing with confidence are other desires, but in the end all I care about is a win.

Maybe Zoubek is better suited to deal with a 6'8" 240 pounder than Thomas. I would like to see him get some time and expect that he will. Smith hasn't had as good a set of games lately, but he has a lot of athleticism and is talented. Having him come along at the end of the season would be great. I wonder how his hyperextended knee is doing. Shooting hasn't been a forte lately but I believe that Scheyer is playing his best now and Nelson is also player very good consistently. With Henderson back to his form and Paulus looking good the last few games, we have a very difficult team to defend.

We need to win the turnover battle, keep their points down in the paint and shoot decently, including from the line, to come away with a win. At this time of the season there is the hope that no additional injuries occur. We need a healthy team heading into tournament time. It is such a grind that everyone needs to share the load.

whereinthehellami
03-05-2008, 11:16 AM
UVA has had a decent last five games or so but I'm not sure how much of that is due to their team and not other circumstances (luck, injuries). I think they lose to GT if Causey is in there and the UNC game seemed more about UNC looking past the hopeless hoos, at least at that time.

With that said, I see the hoos as capable of giving Duke a run for their money being that its a home game for them. If Duke brings the effort and desire than I don't think UVA has much of a chance. This could be a tough game for Duke to get really up for. Hopefully Duke can put them away early and save the emotions for Saturday.

I think this game will say alot about where Duke is at mentally right now. The last few games have seemingly been a struggle mentally for this somewhat young team. They don't seem to be having much fun playing right now. It feels like they are trying to catch their breath while bearing alot of weight on their shoulders.

Highlander
03-05-2008, 01:14 PM
I think this game will say alot about where Duke is at mentally right now. The last few games have seemingly been a struggle mentally for this somewhat young team. They don't seem to be having much fun playing right now. It feels like they are trying to catch their breath while bearing alot of weight on their shoulders.

I agree 100%. The only bearing this game has on the standings is that it could cost Duke a #1 seed should they lose. However, we have not looked sharp in our last 5-6 games. If we continue to play like we have against Wake, State, or Miami, this season will end much sooner than any of us want it to.

I really, really hope this team has put their slump behind them. A convincing (i.e. double digit) win tonight against UVA where the outcome is never in doubt will show me that we have, and give me confidence we can get it done when it is win-or-go-home time, which starts in a week.

mlk
03-05-2008, 02:45 PM
We need to have a game where someone gets hot from the start of the game in the loses and the state game we did not hit our shots both behind the line and on drive penetration.

duketaylor
03-05-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm going as well. With the family, first college game for the twins. Don't have tix yet, but I've heard they're easy to get. Had a chance a minute ago to get 5 upstairs for $218 and decided I'll try my luck outside. Are students on break? I would think so.
As far as parking, a friend said you can park at a daycare on Copeley Rd for free and it's close to the parking garage for JPJ. That's my plan. Anyone, feel free to stop by, maroon Pilot, Duke flags;)

dukelifer
03-05-2008, 03:36 PM
We need to have a game where someone gets hot from the start of the game in the loses and the state game we did not hit our shots both behind the line and on drive penetration.

At this point, Duke needs to focus on their D. The O will come and go. Duke has the players to shoot the ball- but there are nights that shots will not fall. The D is a different story. Duke is giving up way too many easy hoops of late and way too many points. They need to pressure more and perhaps go for the steal strategically. The D concerns me much more than the O.

Devil07
03-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Duke is giving up way too many easy hoops of late and way too many points. They need to pressure more and perhaps go for the steal strategically. The D concerns me much more than the O.

I think the key word here is strategically. I realize that playing aggressively and jumping the passing lanes is what leads to our breaks, and helps compensate for our lack of a intimidating interior presence as a backstop. However, it seems as if recently this has been coming back to bite us. I think part of that is due to the fact that as the season progresses other teams become sharper in their passing, and so our gambles don't necessarily pay off as much. Not to mention that the general fatigue of a long, very physical ACC season has I think slowed our ability to recover when we over-extend. I'm not advocating dropping the pressure, but I would like to see us taking more calculated risks. That's what I'll be paying close attention to tonight.

whereinthehellami
03-05-2008, 03:58 PM
1st 8 ACC games
Duke averaged 86.6 Pts/gm while their opponents averaged 71.6 Pts/gm. That is a difference of 15 pts/gm in Duke's favor.

Last 6 ACC games
Duke averaged 82.2 Pts/gm while their opponents averaged 78.5 Pts/gm. That is a difference of 3.7 pts/gm in Duke's favor.

Since the midpoint of the ACC season Duke has scored 4.2 less points a game while their opponents have scored 6.9 more points a game. That comes out to about an 11 pt/gm swing against Duke. While the offense and defense are related, they have had some issues on both side of the ball. Can they turn things around before the tourney? Good question. They are a tough team but it is a bad time of the year to not be playing at the peak of your game.

dukelifer
03-05-2008, 05:25 PM
1st 8 ACC games
Duke averaged 86.6 Pts/gm while their opponents averaged 71.6 Pts/gm. That is a difference of 15 pts/gm in Duke's favor.

Last 6 ACC games
Duke averaged 82.2 Pts/gm while their opponents averaged 78.5 Pts/gm. That is a difference of 3.7 pts/gm in Duke's favor.

Since the midpoint of the ACC season Duke has scored 4.2 less points a game while their opponents have scored 6.9 more points a game. That comes out to about an 11 pt/gm swing against Duke. While the offense and defense are related, they have had some issues on both side of the ball. Can they turn things around before the tourney? Good question. They are a tough team but it is a bad time of the year to not be playing at the peak of your game.

Except for Wake- where foul trouble was an issue, all the other teams Duke has "struggled" with have seen Duke once before. Duke seems to play better or look better against teams that have seen them for the first time- St John's, Tech etc. So going to the NCAAs, that is plus- but going into the ACC tourney and the next few games it is an issue. Teams are making adjustments. So that account for some of the swing. This Duke team, without any real All-American type players has played very well this season. They have played many fewer close games than UNC. In many ways, it is a bit remarkable. I hope they can continue to find ways to win- by whatever margin. The 1983 NC State Wolfpack were able to win it all eeking out wins against much better teams. It can be done by thin margins and it does not have to be pretty.

dukestheheat
03-05-2008, 05:36 PM
1st 8 ACC games

Last 6 ACC games

They may be correct, and I appreciate you pointing them out, but I had a sinking feeling when I read your post. Reality bites. GO DUKE!

dth.

ojaidave
03-05-2008, 06:57 PM
1st 8 ACC games

Last 6 ACC games

Your post prompted me to look at this season's stats. Our problem appears to revolve around missed 2-pointers. It seems we're missing 4 more 2 pointers in the second half of the season on the same average number of shots per game. We're actually taking and making an extra 3-pointer in the second half of the season and we're making about 2.5 more free throws. Rebounding is basically the same - so we're missing 4 extra shots per game but not getting any extra offensive rebounds on our misfires. Assists are basically the same, we're turning the ball over once more per game (that number is particularly skewed by Wake & Miami), and our steals have been consistent. Overall, I'm impressed by our consistency. A couple more of those layups go in and we're back to golden.

Sorry about the non-formatted table, I've had persistent trouble with that.

Some Numbers
Stat 1sthalf 2ndhalf

FG 29.8 26.0
FGA 61.8 61.8
% 48.2 42.0

3FG 9.1 9.7
3FGA 24.9 26.0
% 36.7 37.2

FT 18 20.5
FTA 26.3 29.3
% 68.6 69.9

OReb 12.5 12.8
DReb 23.0 22.5
AVG 35.5 35.3

Assist 14.1 13.8
TO 12.6 13.5
Steals 10.4 10.3

Coballs
03-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Oh no. Its Elmore and Patrick.

Lotus000
03-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Oh no. Its Elmore and Patrick.

Thus far it's fine, though, Elmore has only said 'take Duke off the bounce' once as of yet, and we've had no mention of backcourt violation rules. :D

Lotus000
03-05-2008, 07:38 PM
"And Boeheim reached out and extended twain fingers on his right hand, and thrain on his left, and sayeth to Coach K, "2-3 Zone," and Coach K complied, and it saw that it was good."

juise
03-05-2008, 07:54 PM
A classic Duke scoring run to close out the half (save the two free throws)... a sight for sore eyes!

shadowfax336
03-05-2008, 07:58 PM
that was a very solid, business-like half of basketball

Dukefan4Life
03-05-2008, 07:58 PM
i have been saying for a long time that we need to play more zone! i know the game isnt over but look what happen when we went to the 2-3! by going zone we can help in our weakness to rebound by 50%! good Call K!

diesel
03-05-2008, 08:03 PM
I don't know what that second foul against Mikalauskas was for but I can guess--having seen at least a couple of times he elbowed our players as they were going down the court without official retribution.

On a positive note, I am impressed with Brian Zoubek's play tonight: some nice rebounds. And it looks to me as if the team is rebounding much better than in some recent games.

And the 2-3 Zone seems to be working well. Before this season, I guess I never thought I'd see the day when we departed from man to man. Go Boeheim and Syracuse! (Note I don't say Orange tonight!).

kramerbr
03-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Why has Nolan Smith not gotten much playing time?

Truth
03-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Why has Nolan Smith not gotten much playing time?

K's trying to lure Lawson into playing...