PDA

View Full Version : Duke Baseball Sweeps Columbia

dukegirlinsc
03-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Wow, I'm actually impressed with this team so far. The boys are now 10-0 on the season, after sweeping a 4 game series with Columbia this weekend. (2-1, 11-3, 4-1, and finally 19-5 today.) They next play Wednesday against Valpo in Durham, followed by a 3 game series with the Tarholes starting this Friday, in Durham.

Seeing as I may be in town for the weekend for GTCH festivities and such, how are the baseball games? I've never been to a college game, and I'm a huge baseball fan. Worth going to? There's a game Saturday at 2:00 which would be perfect for my schedule.

dkbaseball
03-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Wow, I'm actually impressed with this team so far. The boys are now 10-0 on the season, after sweeping a 4 game series with Columbia this weekend. (2-1, 11-3, 4-1, and finally 19-5 today.) They next play Wednesday against Valpo in Durham, followed by a 3 game series with the Tarholes starting this Friday, in Durham.

Seeing as I may be in town for the weekend for GTCH festivities and such, how are the baseball games? I've never been to a college game, and I'm a huge baseball fan. Worth going to? There's a game Saturday at 2:00 which would be perfect for my schedule.

Temper your enthusiasm. The 10-0 record was built on the backs of Columbia, Iona and Alabama A&M. Frankly, their non-conference schedule is disgraceful. Catching a game should be fun if the weather's nice, but bear in mind a couple of things. Duke's park is probably the most un-fan friendly in college baseball -- most of the seating is about 50 yards behind home plate and behind a screen. And the Heels seem to be a solid top 10-20 program every year now (in the CWS final the last two years). Not saying Duke can't compete with them, but that non-conference record tells you nothing about the team.

godukerocks
03-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Temper your enthusiasm. The 10-0 record was built on the backs of Columbia, Iona and Alabama A&M. Frankly, their non-conference schedule is disgraceful. Catching a game should be fun if the weather's nice, but bear in mind a couple of things. Duke's park is probably the most un-fan friendly in college baseball -- most of the seating is about 50 yards behind home plate and behind a screen. And the Heels seem to be a solid top 10-20 program every year now (in the CWS final the last two years). Not saying Duke can't compete with them, but that non-conference record tells you nothing about the team.

Yes, last year I think they started 15-0, or something close to that, but then did went under .500 in conference play. However, they did beat top ranked Florida St. once, along with some other top teams. I expect the team to have more than 25 wins this year.

And Dukegirlinsc, even with the wacky seating, games are a fun experience.

dukegirlinsc
03-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Yes, last year I think they started 15-0, or something close to that, but then did went under .500 in conference play. However, they did beat top ranked Florida St. once, along with some other top teams. I expect the team to have more than 25 wins this year.

And Dukegirlinsc, even with the wacky seating, games are a fun experience.

I knew last year the team finished somewhere below .500. I'm just a baseball fan in general, and figured it might give me something to do Saturday afternoon-ish. If it's total misery, I'm sure I can find things to do elsewhere. Thanks though. :D

dukegirlinsc
03-03-2008, 06:40 PM

It's still something to be slightly excited about, regardless of who they've played so far...

loran16
03-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Duke baseball just WHOOPED UNC in game 1 of a double header.

Maybe we are truly better this year.

dukegirlinsc
03-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Duke baseball just WHOOPED UNC in game 1 of a double header.

Maybe we are truly better this year.

God forbid you get excited about that. :rolleyes:

BlueBlood112883
03-08-2008, 05:09 PM
I hope we do well, but I hope we don't rough up my cousin whos a pitcher for NC State too bad. Even though he's blood he was a UNC fan growing up so I won't feel bad to see his Pack lose unless it knocks them out of a chance to play for the CWS.

Indoor66
03-08-2008, 05:10 PM
God forbid you get excited about that. :rolleyes:

Now, now. Just 'cause you were correct is no reason to point it out...:o :)

Dukie4Life
03-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I was on campus this morning and unfortunately my partner in crime could not join me. However if she knew of all the baseball excitement I wish I would have known :) When I saw the fellas walking to the field I thought it was just a practice! Way to go Baseball Devils in beating UNC in game one!!!

dukegirlinsc
03-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Now, now. Just 'cause you were correct is no reason to point it out...:o :)

Charles Barkley had an excellent quote last night:
"I'm often mistaken, but never wrong." ;)

Nahhh, I realize it's still early. Got a tad bit excited a tad bit early. But it's an excellent start for the boys, Hope they keep it up. :D

dukegirlinsc
03-08-2008, 08:15 PM
I was on campus this morning and unfortunately my partner in crime could not join me. However if she knew of all the baseball excitement I wish I would have known :) When I saw the fellas walking to the field I thought it was just a practice! Way to go Baseball Devils in beating UNC in game one!!!

You made me so proud though, so proud. :D
Mwah!

GTHC.

dcarp23
03-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Duke just took two out of three from Virginia, ranked 16th in the country by Baseball America. Duke is now 3-3 in conference, having played two of the four ranked ACC schools. Series with Miami, NC State, Georgia Tech and Clemson will probably be tough, but perhaps a .500 conference record is not that unreasonable.