PDA

View Full Version : Clemson-Maryland

arydolphin
03-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Did anyone else watch the end of this game? Clemson went on a furious rally in the last 5 minutes, then Oglesby hit about a 25-foot 3-pointer with under 5 seconds to go to give the win to Clemson 73-70. Clemson outscored Maryland 34-11 at the end of the game. It looks like Clemson just stamped their ticket to the tournament, they're now 21-7 and 9-6 in the ACC. Meanwhile, this is a crushing loss for Maryland at home on Senior Night, and it just got a lot tougher for Maryland to get to the big dance. They have to win their last regular-season ACC game, then probably at least 2 ACC Tournament games and maybe 3 games to get some consideration.

OldPhiKap
03-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Did anyone else watch the end of this game? Clemson went on a furious rally in the last 5 minutes, then Oglesby hit about a 25-foot 3-pointer with under 5 seconds to go to give the win to Clemson 73-70. Clemson outscored Maryland 34-11 at the end of the game. It looks like Clemson just stamped their ticket to the tournament, they're now 21-7 and 9-6 in the ACC. Meanwhile, this is a crushing loss for Maryland at home on Senior Night, and it just got a lot tougher for Maryland to get to the big dance. They have to win their last regular-season ACC game, then probably at least 2 ACC Tournament games and maybe 3 games to get some consideration.

Those twerp fans looked shell-shocked.

Great win for Ollie and his kids. I wonder who Gary will scapegoat for this one.

CDu
03-02-2008, 09:57 PM

I don't think Maryland needs three ACC tourney wins. If they win against UVa, they'll be 9-7 in conference with an RPI in the 50s and a win on the road against UNC. Two ACC tourney wins would be more than enough, in my opinion, and one win may be enough. If they'd won today, they were a lock. This game was a lot more important to Maryland than Clemson (who was already pretty much a lock to make the tournament), and Maryland threw it away.

Lavabe
03-02-2008, 09:58 PM
One happy Klemnop. Looking REAL good that Clemson will make it into the tourney. CONGRATULATIONS on a good win!

OldPhiKap: Who's Gary going to scapegoat? Come on ... Duke, of course!:eek:

Cheers,
Lavabe

SMO
03-02-2008, 10:01 PM
I don't think Maryland needs three ACC tourney wins. If they win against UVa, they'll be 9-7 in conference with an RPI in the 50s and a win on the road against UNC. Two ACC tourney wins would be more than enough, in my opinion, and one win may be enough. If they'd won today, they were a lock. This game was a lot more important to Maryland than Clemson (who was already pretty much a lock to make the tournament), and Maryland threw it away.

I'm not sure. I see Miami in ahead of MD so I think MD's chances of getting in hinge on other factors that would help determine whether the ACC gets 4 or 5 teams. Maryland still has to play well, but now they also need to be lucky (no upsets in small conference tournaments, etc).

OldPhiKap
03-02-2008, 10:01 PM
One happy Klemnop. Looking REAL good that Clemson will make it into the tourney. CONGRATULATIONS on a good win!

Cheers,
Lavabe

No doubt. K paid off the refs.

SMO
03-02-2008, 10:03 PM

Cheers,
Lavabe

Do national championship programs with national championship coaches and national champtionship fans who beat UNC in Chapel Hill need scapegoats??:D

Maybe so!

johnb
03-02-2008, 10:05 PM
A really big loss for Maryland, and their fans looked absolutely shocked.

They would be lucky to make the tournament with a UVa win and one ACC win; they might be the fifth team, but if VaTech and Miami finish strong, I think MD is probably toast.

CDu
03-02-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure. I see Miami in ahead of MD so I think MD's chances of getting in hinge on other factors that would help determine whether the ACC gets 4 or 5 teams. Maryland still has to play well, but now they also need to be lucky (no upsets in small conference tournaments, etc).

Miami should in ahead of Maryland now (and should have been in ahead of Maryland before now). They have a better record, better RPI, more quality wins, and the head-to-head win, and now they have a somewhat similar conference record as well.

But the conference is very likely to get five teams. In fact, going into the weekend, Lunardi had the ACC with six teams in, with Maryland a #9 seed and Va Tech among the last four in. Now, I'd say Maryland and Va Tech are the ones sitting firmly on the bubble. If Miami wins two more games total (out of a minimum of three), they're in.

SMO
03-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Miami should in ahead of Maryland now (and should have been in ahead of Maryland before now). They have a better record, better RPI, more quality wins, and the head-to-head win, and now they have a somewhat similar conference record as well.

But the conference is very likely to get five teams. In fact, going into the weekend, Lunardi had the ACC with six teams in, with Maryland a #9 seed and Va Tech among the last four in. Now, I'd say Maryland and Va Tech are the ones sitting firmly on the bubble. If Miami wins two more games total (out of a minimum of three), they're in.

Wow! I am surprised there could be as many as six. I was seriously thinking 5 is a stretch. If it is just five though you're right, it has to be MD, VT, and WF with an outside shot.

jimsumner
03-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Given the circumstances and given what was at stake, this was a colossal collapse for Maryland. They were on the verge of sewing up an NCAA spot and just gagged their way back to bubble-land.

Clemson fans can start thinking about seeds. They're an absolute lock. But I'm just stunned at what happened to Maryland. Not to take anything away from Clemson but I think the comeback was about four parts Clemson, six parts Maryland.

CDu
03-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Given the circumstances and given what was at stake, this was a colossal collapse for Maryland. They were on the verge of sewing up an NCAA spot and just gagged their way back to bubble-land.

Clemson fans can start thinking about seeds. They're an absolute lock. But I'm just stunned at what happened to Maryland. Not to take anything away from Clemson but I think the comeback was about four parts Clemson, six parts Maryland.

Agreed. On top of that, now Maryland has to wait a full week until they play against UVa in a must-win game for them. Safe to say, that is not the best situation. On the other hand, maybe a week off will allow Gary to really get into the team and fire them up for that game and the ACC tourney.

Interestingly, if Maryland had won, they'd likely have ended up the #3 seed in the ACC tourney. Now, if Miami and Va Tech win out, Maryland becomes the #6 seed, and would have to face Clemson on Friday. It can't be overstated how much this was just a tough, tough loss for them.

Klemnop
03-02-2008, 11:03 PM
10 years of demons exorcised tonight. All the heartbreaking losses. All of the "if-only-this-then-that" scenarios. All of the disappointment and frustration of my Clemson fanhood. All gone.

We're back! We're going dancing! WE'RE GOING DANCING!!!!!

Three weeks ago I had to read through several (what I thought were) unfair posts about how Clemson folded at Chapel Hill. Some on this board called the Tigers quitters. Questioned their heart. Said that Clemson didn't have what it took to cash the chips in at winning time. And perhaps some tonight will see this game as Maryland's failure more than Clemson's victory. But I saw a team that just did not quit. When they had every reason to quit - they just did not quit. When the opponent had everything to play for - Clemson did not quit. On Maryland's court. On Senior night. When it seemed like absolutely nothing could go right. They did not quit.

I never thought a day would come when the following phrase would ring true: If I'm Carolina or Duke I absolutely do not want to see Clemson in the ACC Tourney. Now, given Clemson's utter ineptitude in the tournament it's likely that we're looking at a one-and-done situation. Especially since whoever Clemson will draw will be looking at the Friday game as their desperation chance to make the NCAAs. But if Clemson can survive Friday it's going to be a dogfight on Saturday. And maybe even Sunday.

Objectively, Clemson's playing the best ball of any team in the second half of the ACC season. The road game at FSU was the only egg - and that was the 3rd game in six days for Clemson, a game where they looked and played tired. The only blemish other than FSU is the last four minutes at Chapel Hill.

rtnorthrup
03-02-2008, 11:05 PM
If this doesnt explain why we love sports, and particularly ACC basketball, nothing will. Congrats, Klemnop.

DukieInKansas
03-02-2008, 11:07 PM
When I checked the score early in the game, Maryland looked comfortably in the lead. I was very pleased when I checked at the end of the game and they were interviewing a Clemson player after the victory. (Don't tell my brother-on-law, a Twerp, that I said that.)

Ignatius07
03-02-2008, 11:10 PM
I turned the game off at 59-39... evidently right before the 31-11 run. I could not believe it when I read the first post.

dukegirlinsc
03-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Yuck on both teams. :p

But congrats to CLEM"p"SON for coming back. Good game for those kids.

-bdbd
03-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Those of us in the DC area are pretty used to Terp (and VPI)-dominated local media. Now, while I didn't see the game, I was watching the local news tonight and at least one local sports anchor who went to MD (didn't they ALL around here?!?) said he was "depressed and shellshocked..." The rest of the news staff was teasing him about it, AND THE GUY JUST LOOKED, WELL, SHELLSHOCKED. It just looked like MD couldn't do ANYTHING right down the stretch. They played several clips of Gary afterward and he looked like a man who just had his insides ripped out. To answer an earlier post/question, he didn't really blame anyone for once, but talked about the MD miss in the last minute and their inability to crash the boards there. "Too many guys just standing around tonight..." Said he "It's my job to get that (the urgency of crashing boards) across to them...and obviously...they didn't do that...." (so sorta an indirect blame of the players) . The anchor said the Terps essentrially need to beat UVA, and quite possibly WIN the ACC tournament to make the dance.

I disagree with that, given their RPI and quality wins. But we all know the committee looks especially hard at a team's final-10 games, and that's not all pretty for these guys. I say they have to win at UVA and certainly AT LEAST the first round of the ACC, and probably first TWO rounds. (That becomes quite do-able if they're not top-4 seeded and are playing on Thurs.) I'm stunned by their late swoon though this year though. Lots of camera shots at the game tionight of just STUNNED Terp fans.

No reports of any rioting in College Park.........yet.

-BDBD ;)

dukemsu
03-03-2008, 12:05 AM
What a gag job by the Terps. I hate to say it was funny, but...it was funny.

Gary looked like he had just been shot. It will be interesting to see how they'll respond. No Duke game to rally around, not until the ACC tourney, anyway.

dukemomLA
03-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Okay, dokey kids, let's get real. The selection committee has NEVER in recent memory given the ACC its due, and this year we don't even have a strong presence pulling for us.

There are only TWO locks for the Dance -- Duke and UNC. Now, I can't imagine the committee not giving us at least three teams..... but beyond that (IMHO) it's a question mark, unless someone makes a good run in the ACC Tourney -- but....fellow Dukies that is another target on our back.

If all the smaller and mid-major conferences play out without upsets (...chances are, that ain't gonna happen), then we could get 4-6 bids. But don't hold your breath. When other majors 'beat up on each other' during conference play, it's because "everyone in the conference is so strong." When ACC teams beat up on each other with competitive furor it's because "the league is so weak." Not my words, but the words of stupid pundits coast-to-coast.

I think there's a slight possibility that we could get four. Please committee prove me wrong.

Lavabe
03-03-2008, 04:51 AM
10 years of demons exorcised tonight.

Congratulations, but now it's on to the next business at hand. I'd like nothing more than for Clemson to avenge that other demon, UNC, on the Saturday ACC tourney game. A win like the one at Md can have a major positive effect on Clemson. Play to improve the NCAA seeding.

Dare I say it ... NEXT PLAY, KLEMNOP!!:D

Best of luck (except, of course, against Duke),
Lavabe

SMO
03-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Okay, dokey kids, let's get real. The selection committee has NEVER in recent memory given the ACC its due, and this year we don't even have a strong presence pulling for us.

There are only TWO locks for the Dance -- Duke and UNC. Now, I can't imagine the committee not giving us at least three teams..... but beyond that (IMHO) it's a question mark, unless someone makes a good run in the ACC Tourney -- but....fellow Dukies that is another target on our back.

If all the smaller and mid-major conferences play out without upsets (...chances are, that ain't gonna happen), then we could get 4-6 bids. But don't hold your breath. When other majors 'beat up on each other' during conference play, it's because "everyone in the conference is so strong." When ACC teams beat up on each other with competitive furor it's because "the league is so weak." Not my words, but the words of stupid pundits coast-to-coast.

I think there's a slight possibility that we could get four. Please committee prove me wrong.

I think Duke, UNC, Clemson are locks and a bid is Miami's to lose. Miami would have to really mess it up themselves at this point. Any 5th bid must be earned. MD, VT, and WF all have a shot but I think one of those teams would need a strong finish to the season and 2+ wins in the ACC tourney to have a shot.

KandG
03-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Funniest line from the Washington Post's blog comments section:

Can someone tell the Terps they're screwing up our RPI?

- The American University men's basketball team

4decadedukie
03-03-2008, 09:46 AM
A thing of true beauty. The DC media reaction has been ferocious (Mike Wise’s Post column is scathing, with many press references to Duke's two 2001 classic "from behind" defeats of the Terps). I shamefully admit, I revel in Maryland's folding under pressure, from a twenty-point lead with ~10 minutes remaining, and I hope that Gary Williams – and his “Fear the Turtle" crowd – again have an opportunity to excel in the NIT.

Kudos to Coach Purnell and his Clemson squad, for tenacity and poise.

TwoDukeTattoos
03-03-2008, 10:10 AM
A thing of true beauty. The DC media reaction has been ferocious (Mike Wise’s Post column is scathing, with many press references to Duke's two 2001 classic "from behind" defeats of the Terps). I shamefully admit, I revel in Maryland's folding under pressure, from a twenty-point lead with ~10 minutes remaining, and I hope that Gary Williams – and his “Fear the Turtle" crowd – again have an opportunity to excel in the NIT.

I, too, love to see the Terps go down. The only downside, however, is that outside of Duke and UNC, they have been the only other consistent power in the ACC and I don't want to see the quality of our conference lessened by teams such as UM continuing to be weak.

3rd Dukie
03-03-2008, 12:13 PM

Very, very well put!
EXCEPT, there is no shame on my part for the fact that I revel in MD's pain. Couldn't happen to a better coach or school not based in North Carolina.